• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 vs Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

So which one do you prefer?

I've played both versions and love both of them. I booted up my PS3 last night after 3 years or so(didn't use it since the new consoles released) and the game is absolutely incredible and most important: extremely FUN, a factor overlooked by developers nowadays.

What I find interesting within the Ninja Gaiden fans community, after watching countless walkthroughs on master ninja and whatnot is that the so called "elite" players look down upon the PS3 title and consider it of a much lower quality than it's 360 counterpart. I never understood why that is since Sigma 2 has a lot more content like new singleplayer levels, multiplayer coop, 3 new playable female characters, new bosses and so on.
Looks like the definitive edition of the game, but if you tell that to a die hard/hardcore fan of Ninja Gaiden he or she will just spit in your direction. Never understood this.

img.php

ninja-gaiden-funny.jpg

KingBroly

Banned
I prefer Sigma 2

BUT

It feels like half a game sometimes with those empty areas

I still prefer the original's EPIC Staircase, though. The best.

pa22word

More =/= better

Especially when the content that is shared between them has been butchered beyond comprehension in a lot of cases.

Sigma 2 forces me to play a chapter with Rachel, which bothers me a LOT because she sucks really, really badly. Ditto for Sigma 1, but it's way worse there.

Other than that, I like both NG2 and NGS2, but I would go with NG2 for the frame rate and 360 controller.

Shin-chan

I think I prefer OG 2. It's frustrating and cheap as fuck on anything above normal, but the damage system just flows way better. The red ninja guys just take all day to kill in Sigma 2 and they can almost one shot you. In 2 they're more abundant but die much quicker - I prefer this.

Also the extra content isn't that great. I like their characters but their missions are kind of shit. I wish you could use everyone in every chapter for chapter challenge. The new bosses are all kind of crap (giant statues yaaay).

However it gets rid of a lot of the stupid shit in the original game. Incendiary/rocket spam and those fucking two armadillos. Fuck me that was shit design.

I wish we could get a happy medium between the two.

Sigma 2 forces me to play a chapter with Rachel, which bothers me a LOT because she sucks really, really badly. Ditto for Sigma 1, but it's way worse there.

Other than that, I like both NG2 and NGS2, but I would go with NG2 for the frame rate and 360 controller.

I always thought framerate was better on PS3? Could be wrong though.

Looks like the definitive edition of the game, but if you tell that to a die hard/hardcore fan of Ninja Gaiden he or she will just spit in your direction. Never understood this.

You can understand that more content does not necessarily make for a better game, right?

Nere

The stairs part on my 360 always played at 5 fps, there was no way around it.

I remember when I was telling my friend xbox couldn't handle that level and he was telling me nah Team Ninja just made it slow motion to make it more cinematic. I was like really.....?

Ninja Gaiden 2 and it's not even close. Pre-patch if possible.

Why pre-patch? I have NG2 but haven't played it yet (backlog from hell).

Also, how is the Sigma 2+ port on Vita? I know it doesn't run at native res, which is a pet peeve of mine, but other than that is it solid?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Ninja Gaiden 2 has higher highs and lower lows. Sigma regularises the whole thing, cutting out the lowest lows but also cutting off the highest highs. When NG2 is operating full throttle it's the best action game ever made, and when NG2S is operating full throttle it's...pretty good. That's why I personally prefer the original, but I don't think there's anything particularly terrible about Sigma.

I remember when I was telling my friend xbox couldn't handle that level and he was telling me nah Team Ninja just made it slow motion to make it more cinematic. I was like really.....?

That's why I would absolutely love if they bring it to Xbox One through backwards compatibility. I think it would be a great addition. Maybe patch it to play at 60 fps? Dreams really...

jelly

I think I prefer OG 2. It's frustrating and cheap as fuck on anything above normal, but the damage system just flows way better. The red ninja guys just take all day to kill in Sigma 2 and they can almost one shot you. In 2 they're more abundant but die much quicker - I prefer this.

Also the extra content isn't that great. I like their characters but their missions are kind of shit. I wish you could use everyone in every chapter for chapter challenge. The new bosses are all kind of crap (giant statues yaaay).

However it gets rid of a lot of the stupid shit in the original game. Incendiary/rocket spam and those fucking two armadillos. Fuck me that was shit design.

I wish we could get a happy medium between the two.

That's when I gave up but it's bothered me I never finished it and I'm going to start again. I'm looking forward to it but dreading it too.

It's been a while and I was good back on Ninja Gaiden, original Xbox but my skills have gone down hill. Can anybody give me some solid tips to make my new play through better, things to do, avoid, best tactics, best weapons to stick with, upgrade and Ninpo to use?

Veelk

Banned
I always try to think what we'd get if NG2 had the effort the original NG had.

NG1 had surprising worldbuilding and platforming in it, which helped give some variety even if it wasn't very good, and it's hub world level design is something I really enjoyed.

You can argue that NG2 surpassed it's predecessor in combat, but NG1 offered a more well designed experience as a whole and was much more polished as a result, especially with the later Black additions.

Anyway, I just want remastered versions of the original so I can play them on something other than my Xbox whose memory gets corrupted every time it is unplugged.

I only hate the new character chapters. Some of the streamlining was necessary, even if at a few occasions it might have gone slightly too far.

K' Dash

I remember a time where asking this was ridiculous.

People would play Sigma over the original? No fucking way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sigma 2 easily. If only because the balance.

Do the Vita ports have the same content as the Sigma games but at a reduced framerate?

Yes, with Sigma 2 not even hitting a rock solid 30FPS. It's more like 10-15FPS. Terrible terrible ports, stay away from them.

Ninja Gaiden 2 and it's not even close. Pre-patch if possible.

Wait, I remember avoiding downloading a patch but not I don't remember why...

Nevermind! Got my answer.

Anyways, I liked both versions pretty much equally. I would argue that both versions of this game truly come alive on higher difficulties with me personally having a little more trouble with Sigma 2 on higher difficulties. Obviously I wish the PS3 version played at 60fps but it's still great.

Does Sigma 2 have a patch? What does it do? My PS3 is not connected to the internet si I'm playing it out of the box really.

Ramune

Damn, I remember picking up Sigma 2 Collector's Edition randomly for $30 quite a while ago (it was hidden behind the GameStop counter; and went for $100+ on ebay at the time...now a bit more reasonable). So it isn't the definitive? Guess I'll track down the original then....

Edit: Wow at that video above! Quite a difference!

TheSeks

Does Sigma 2 have a patch? What does it do? My PS3 is not connected to the internet si I'm playing it out of the box really.

IIRC it doesn't.

It's Ninja Gaiden 2 that got a patch to try to fix it's rushed out the doorness, but it doesn't fix the terrible gameplay balance. So don't bother.

pa22word

Sigma 2 easily. If only because the balance.

Yes, with Sigma 2 not even hitting a rock solid 30FPS. It's more like 10-15FPS. Terrible terrible ports, stay away from them.

Eh, there's nothing really wrong with Sigma Plus. It has a weird thing going on with input prediction due to the lower base framerate, but unless you know how to bug it out 99% of the people playing it will never notice it's there. The cheat code outfits is more than mildly annoying to anyone who enjoyed wearing them in past versions but can't now due to cheat functions. The gyro aiming and touch aiming is really the only thing that is hairpullingly infuriating about the port. Otherwise it's a completely serviceable version of the game on the go. Would I prefer playing it over S1 or Black, of course not, but when you're sitting in an airport or something and want to burn a little time in mission mode it comes in very handy.

s2+ is total shit though.

jg4xchamp

Ninja Gaiden 2, the same way Black>Sigma. Sigma tends to add unnecessary bullshit both times, and both times some of NG's teeth are taken away, and that cuts into some of the best highs of these games.

TheSeks

Eh, there's nothing really wrong with Sigma Plus. It has a weird thing going on with input prediction due to the lower base framerate, but unless you know how to bug it out 99% of the people playing it will never notice it's there.

I don't know about the input prediction (edit: That Input Prediction probably also explains why inputting the XYXXY/Izuna Drop felt off to me more than the framerate), but because the game is 30FPS (LOCKED AT LEAST), it's still a terrible port and not worth bothering with. 60FPS for Ninja Gaiden or bust.

Especially infuriating as they could've ported Black and probably hit said rock solid 60FPS if they didn't bother with Hayashit's shitty port. :/

zoodoo

Original NG2 all the way.

Sigma 2 was butchered but the reduced encounters, mist instead of blood, new characters chapters. The game felt like a frankenstein monster, an experiment on a amazing game gone wrong.

Original NG2 was not perfect but is still way better than sigma 2.

I re-bought NG2 the other day hoping it comes to Xbox one bc. Fingers crossed.

klee123

NG2 simply because it doesn't have the puzzle sections which for me really broke the flow.

I didn't mind playing as the female characters either.

danmaku

Chapter 11 in NG2 is the best level in any action game ever. In Sigma 2 is a sad ghost town. That said, Sigma 2 is still a good game, but it feels like a neutered version of 2.

What about ninja gaiden 3 razors edge on ps3/360?

I tried playing it on WiiU and never really got into it. Is it an ok action game to have fun with even if it doesn't live up to the ninja gaiden name?

It's more than ok imho. The fighting engine is more or less the same as 2, with some unnecessary addition (the new ninpo system is meh and steel on bone looks cool but it's just a glorified QTE) so it's still pretty damn good. You have plenty of weapons, the girls are fun to use and you can play the whole game with them instead of single chapters. I like how straightforward it is, just fights and no bullshit, but lots of people complained about excessive linearity and too many waves of enemies. Still, I put 60+ hours into it and had lots of fun. Not as much as 2 (150+ hours) but not bad either.

What about ninja gaiden 3 razors edge on ps3/360?

I tried playing it on WiiU and never really got into it. Is it an ok action game to have fun with even if it doesn't live up to the ninja gaiden name?

Revan

Sigma 2 was a rebalance - some of the game feels empty and not at all interesting, and some of the levels are just flat out bad (looking at the Momiji, Rachel and Ayane sections). The problem with the rebalance is that some of the original titles issues carried over and were reworked, which made the game less interesting.

They also changed the delimbing system, which totally fucked with the flow of the game.

Fun to play on the Vita but give me OG NG2 any day of the week.

Top Bottom