• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

ezekial45

Banned
That's not honest at all.

Why do you say that? The previous games were pretty linear. While NG1 was a bit more open, it still pushed you down a particular path. Plus, they used 'enemy room' design mechanic just like this new game.

You gotta respect his unwavering and unqualified optimism in the face of any and all legitimate negatives. It's cute.

Ez, I love you man, but it continues to befuddle me the stuff you spew out. Okay, DmC has no demo yet so no one really knows how it plays. This is a full released game, and you as someone experienced in the genre, can still accept all the shortcomings on gameplay? Where do you draw the line man?

The big difference here is that I actually agree with nearly all the criticisms against this game. But despite all that, I still accept for what it is. A very solid action game. I'd definitely say it's the DMC2 of the series, which was a decent action game in it's own right that had the misfortune of being the sequel to DMC1. NG3 would've been better off with just refining the game's combat engine and adding more content. This is a misstep for sure, mostly do to Hayashi's vision for the game.

Legitimate Ninja Gaiden players think this game is shit. Therefore legit

What is that supposed to mean? These legitimate players who obsess over combo videos have a more valid opinion over anyone else? Is that what you're trying to say?

The elitism here is getting over the top. It's ridiculous.

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I'm having fun with the game. It might not have some signature things from the NG series but I enjoy it as an action game. I enjoy the speed and the visual upgrade too (minus dismemberment but I'm over it now).

I think if the game shipped with 3 weapons from the start, it would alleviate some complaints. I had a lot of fun with the Ninja Trials over XBL. It has some enemies and things from the past NG games in that mode.

The big difference here is that I actually agree with nearly all the criticisms against this game. But despite all that, I still accept for what it is. A very solid action. I'd definitely say it's the DMC2 of the series, which was a decent action game in it's own right that had the misfortune of being the sequel to DMC1. NG3 would've been better off with just refining the game's engine.

What is that supposed to mean? These legitimate players who obsess over combo videos have a more valid opinion over anyone else? Is that what you're trying to say?

You are more accepting of the flaws, for sure. But it's almost like you do not care for the fundamentals and integrity of the franchise. And there's little elitism here nor was it hardly there in the DmC threads. People called out shit that they thought were shitty, and in this case they actually played the games. It's almost like you have no standard as long as something that plays "fine", and what is "fine" is real lenient for you

Whats cracking me up is the price gouging going on for the CE on Amazon already

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N3BLB4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I can't believe the game is as bad as some are saying but there is no way in hell I am spending $60 to $100 to find out, rent it first then buy it cheap later is my strategy. Such a shame I like Team Ninja and think they have some great people there but this title seems to lack focus.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The big difference here is that I actually agree with nearly all the criticisms against this game. But despite all that, I still accept for what it is. A very solid action game.
So odd. How do you agree with the criticisms but still describe this game as solid? Not all of them are of the elitist variety.

Jeez, this game wishes it was as good as DMC2. Only reason it doesn't upset me more is because Ninja Gaiden Black is the only game in this franchise worth a damn in the first place.

benzy

Why do you say that? The previous games were pretty linear. While NG1 was a bit more open, it still pushed you down a particular path. Plus, they used 'enemy room' design mechanic just like this new game.

There are certain points in previous games where they have waves of enemies though not often (it's mainly near the end where they throw all of the enemies at you, including bosses, to make you shit your pants), but each wave brought along a new type of enemy, and required a different skill set to defeat them. It was a less extreme version of the Eternal Legend in mission mode. The "enemy room" design was well thought out in terms of which enemy would show up at which part of the environment. You walk upstairs to a balcony, the quick cat fiends show up, uh oh better pull out the Lunar. Jump down from the balcony and you'll have to fight some soldiers, guess I'll use the Dragon Sword. Cross the bridge and you'll see some slow but big ass fiends, I think I'll use the Dabhilro.

In NG3, you have 4-6 waves of the same shitty designed opponents. It's very repetitive, because you only have the same shitty moves set and weapon to use throughout the whole thing, and the difficulty lies in them not being smart and having a certain pattern to their design, but instead they just grab you in mid-combo when Ryu is in his recovery frame, and you can't dodge or block worth shit.

You are more accepting of the flaws, for sure. But it's almost like you do not care for the fundamentals and integrity of the franchise. And there's little elitism here nor was it hardly there in the DmC threads. People called out shit that they thought were shitty, and in this case they actually played the games. It's almost like you have no standard as long as something that plays

Yeah...except Team Ninjas output quality lowered with each release since NGB many years ago, so I don't understand where all the feelings of abandonment are coming from in this thread. What was after that..Sigma, DOA4, XBV2, NG2, Sigma 2, DOA Paradise, NGS+, this. Basically all inferior versions of their previous gen predecessors.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I dunno, I'm having fun with the game. It might not have some signature things from the NG series but I enjoy it as an action game. I enjoy the speed and the visual upgrade too (minus dismemberment but I'm over it now).

I think if the game shipped with 3 weapons from the start, it would alleviate some complaints. I had a lot of fun with the Ninja Trials over XBL. It has some enemies and things from the past NG games in that mode.

Nah son, it's over for Ninja Gaiden. Did you get the DoA 5 demo? Bring it on Tuesday and I will let you in for free lol

I don't really think it is elitism (alright well, maybe that post you responded to is). Some of these action games are easily some of the best single player games ever made, with ludicrous amount of detail pored over everything in the game to allow players to challenge themselves in ways that a lot of other games don't. Action games like NGB get hardcore fans because they actually allow themselves to get hardcore fans. You aren't going to get NG/DMC fans out of a game like Enslaved because they are made with the lowest common denominator in mind.

Anything is better than getting killed by a busted camera twice in the first 30 minutes, then having to reset the system because it got caught in a wall a while later. All while the framerate fluctuated more than an action game in high regards should be doing. That was my experience with NG2(which I won't even get into the dumb design of the projectile enemies). A good game, hampered by some really stupid decision.

This game is not some huge drop from technical greatness. Yes it's certainly different, and to not like the game is ok by me, but a plummet from stardom? NG was never there to begin with, from a technical standpoint.

This game is not some huge drop from technical greatness. Yes it's certainly different, and to not like the game is ok by me, but a plummet from stardom? NG was never there to begin with, from a technical standpoint.

Eh, I don't know about that. Ninja Gaiden Black is pretty much the best action game ever made.

Eh, I don't know about that. Ninja Gaiden Black is pretty much the best action game ever made.

I've never played Black, I've only played the initial one, and then the initial NG2. I mean, NG2 has to be a 3/10 in comparison to Black, because there is no way it could be considered the best of ANYTHING. There was so much wrong with part 2 that I can't understand how this one is being buried while the other two are getting praised to the moon.

I'm expecting an izuna drop into the deep sea trench later, because the first hour or so just isn't that bad. It's more functional that what I've experienced in NG2, regardless of what types of depth in combat that game had. I don't care for the quick times, and the camera still isn't really much of your friend since it requires to much management for this type of game, so it isn't without its faults either.

Again, this is coming from someone who isn't a particular fan of the series, but I've had experience with them. More so NG1 than NG2, since that was unplayable for me.

Ninja Gaiden was a technical feat on the Xbox.

Graphically, I loved it, so I guess I should have said design wise it has lacking in areas. That game looked gorgeous in my opinion as well. I didn't love some of the design choices, and the camera wasn't very friendly, and damage wasn't always avoidable. Sure, you could alway beat an area on command, but that isn't enough for me in a serious action game. Not nearly as bad as NG2 though. I enjoyed it, and the challenge it offered, for the most part. It's a good game.

so UT and Ninpo seem to charge faster when you stay low to the ground using normal attacks.

also, if you're fast enough, you can kill everything with just slide > jumping exploding bow shot. it takes a while but you can keep it going forever without getting hurt (on hard) you don't get any ninpo or UT for it.

The big difference here is that I actually agree with nearly all the criticisms against this game. But despite all that, I still accept for what it is. A very solid action game. I'd definitely say it's the DMC2 of the series, which was a decent action game in it's own right that had the misfortune of being the sequel to DMC1. NG3 would've been better off with just refining the game's combat engine and adding more content. This is a misstep for sure, mostly do to Hayashi's vision for the game.

It's not elitism. You are just wrong to try and argue an opinion when the full game is out in the wild (ironically the same thing you try to do when you have defended HS and Enslaved)

I'm actually more lenient than most, but almost everyone who I know who has invested significant time in this series hates this game. With good reason.

If your opinion is that it is solid, then fine. But it's equally fine to say the game is totally horseshit because there is enough evidence to support both positions.

It comes down to personal taste, but unlike DmC, you really don't have the moral leg to stand on, outside your own opinion. If I play the full game and I feel it is shit, then it is shit. No amount of metacritic ratings, or GAF impressions can tell me any different and vis versa.

And BTW NG heads don't obess over combo videos. it's karma runs, weapon runs, MN runs and No hurt runs.

A NG combo video is just a bit of fun. Leave that shit in DMC, thank you very much.

Veelk

Banned
So has anyone found a PS3-360 comparison yet?

Also, should I start on normal or hard? The actual challenge isn't so much a factor, but I heard that playing on hard restricts playstyles because enemies can grab you midcombo, which is a problem for me. If it does force you to do nothing but izuna drops like someone said, I'd rather play on normal, but I heard enemies have more moves on hard. So, halp?

IJoel

RAGE!

The camera in this game is nothing short of abysmal. I'm right now on the 4th day, and in a really small room with enemies throwing projectiles and others grab-happy
(area in a certain lab with mutants that either throw poison, or turn into some sort of brutes)
. I'm considering trading this (can't believe I'm saying this about a NG game).

Robot Pants

There is any way to beat the higher difficulty ninja trails without:

izuna drop x100 - Glowing arm - ninpo - izuna drop x100 - repeat?.

This is pretty much the formula for the whole game. Especially on Master Ninja. If you aren't fighting in the air, you are done for.
I found a good way to break the guys with two swords guard (not the ones with the barret), X,Y on the way down 360Y, xxy shurkien, izuna drop, whatever you want. Instead of sitting on the ground for 30 minutes trying to open them up and getting grabbed by every enemy.
The barret guys: windrun, to head stomp, straight into flying swallow.
I mean, I guess this game is challenging on Master Ninja, but not in a real sense. It's just impossible to fight on the ground, so you are forced to do cheap things like flying swallow, OT, izuna drop, OT repeat.
I just started Day 4 on MNM. I think I'll go the rest of the way.
What's your Karma score?

Defunkled

I have a question for you guys. How well does the Xbox Originals version of Ninja Gaiden Black run? How does the emulation hold up? I'm almost done with Ninja Gaiden 3 and Black is the only modern NG game that I have not completed.

MCD

Seeing a Black Spider Ninja running away instead of trying to kamikaze up your ass is just...wrong. :(

And there are no words for the T-Rex boss fight. If that gif wasn't enough, wait till you fight it.

Hayashi, YOU KISAMA!

Finally beat the game, the last boss is a piece of shit, the guys who worked in the bosses are creatively bankrupt. Finally I can move to the ninja trials, the fun part of the game.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I don't understand how this is evolution. This would be the equivalent of humans evolving into monkeys (or more accurately into really dumb fish).
Evolution =/= progress though, but I suppose NG3 will be the "evolution' of the series if it's traits are passed over to the next generation and onwards - but I sure hope it's only a isolated case.:mad:

Ok some questions. I am sure that I will end up with this game eventually since I am the biggest Ninja Gaiden and action game fan on the board even if it is different. :p

1. Is it supposed to be 60fps most of the times or was it reduced to 30fps, despite the slowdown?

2. Lens of Truth seems to be down, but I will see which version is better between the PS3 and X360 versions.

3. Is the move list remotely close to Ninja Gaiden 1's dragon sword move list LOL? Everyone seems to say it barely has any moves compared to the older games.

4. Everyone complains the game is so mash friendly and insultingly easy, yet I hear so many people complaining about grab attacks and high damage. I am assuming it's on higher difficulties, right? I beat Master Ninja in NG2 on PS3 and X360. Should I start off with hard?

MCD

I tried to beat that masked guy fair and square and all he did was grab grab grab. Bullshit.

What did I do then? Spam away XYXXX. Boss destroyed. lolzers.

There was some strange input lag? Or my commands were not as accurate during the boss fight. Fucking random asshole.

About to start a stream for Ninja Trials CO-OP with a friend, tune in and check it out. We're starting on Mentor difficulty:

www.twitch.tv/fourwudegaming

The co-op trials are so fucking good. I am halfway through mentor now. I am liking them way more then the co-op mission in NGS2. We need to get some kind of gt tag list for people with the 360 version who are looking to play the mp/co-op. The co-op feels like a different game, the graphics are much better, the enemies variety is infinitely better, ninpo no longer fills up your health is it is a lot tougher, the leveling up and earning unlocks is really well done. It is to bad that a lot of the review came out before the online was up, because I think it is worth the prie just for the co-op.

jns

I caved and bought it. Fuck me, how could somebody be handed the Ninja Gaiden 2 combat engine and come up with this? Honestly, the biggest problems I had with the game was the button lag combined with enemies that can grab you out of a combo. I was trying to utilise the slide to dash to the side to start my offence, but the time between my button press and my slide seemed way too long so I would often get caught in blockstun->grab.

The other thing that ticked me off was steel on bone; it’s a sidegrade way to kill an enemy instead of de-limb obliteration, but I could not get it to come out with any consistency at all. I thought all enemies would have to be in a 'bloody' state for it to work but there were times when I went pretty much straight into it.

Ok ok, last thing. No upgrades, no ninpo upgrades/types, nothing to find, 1 WEAPON.... I feel like I have played the hello kitty prelude to Ninja Gaiden 2. I noticed if you didn't use your ninpo in the current scene it would be removed for health meaning you didn't have to worry about being reckless or fucking up because you always got enough health back to wade through the next spawnpit of enemies.

In summery I fell like this game has taken a few things from call of duty: Regen health, on rails game play and enemy respawn.

While I love black to death, NG2 is one of my top 3 games this gen and even with all its flaws it blows NG3 to dust. I haven’t started the trials which I head are ok, but I feel like this game needs some pretty incredible DLC if it wants to be a legitimate part of the NG family...

Ohh and was the last boss supposed to be in slowmotion or was it just a homage to the NG2 staircase?

MCD

Fiends have no "impact" when you hit them. You just slash slash slash and hope to god they don't grab you.

this game needs some pretty incredible DLC if it wants to be a legitimate part of the NG family...

What they need to do is keep the assets and build the game from the ground again for Wii U and then release it again for the other consoles at budget price. There is some much wrong, some much that need to be fixed that I think is impossible to do it with a patch or DLC.

They have now the fan imput (like they didn't have it before, lol), NG4 should be good.... or not.

and i don't know how someone could pick it up and not realize it just doesn't control like NG1 and 2. Adjust a little and it's not a problem.

What they need to do is keep the assets and build the game from the ground again for Wii U and then release it again for the other consoles at budget price. There is some much wrong, some much that need to be fixed that I think is impossible to do it with a patch or DLC.

They have now the fan imput (like they didn't have it before, lol), NG4 should be good.... or not.

I really dont think they would have to change much. Make the enemies drop essence, add more weapons (they are already doing this), keep UT's the same (I think them charging over time actually works well with the way battles work now), change ninpo back to the old system, add the shop keeper back (this would allow weapons to be upgraded), and add potions back in (this would be needed since they would be taking out the ninpo to fill your health mechanic), add in items to collect and unlockables. This really doesnt seem like that much to add to me, I think they definitely could do it through dlc/patches. They wont which is sad, because they do have the outline of a great game here but they just made some poor decisions along the way.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

I thought they were putting DS controls in the Wii U version. :/

As far as rebuilding it goes, I wouldn't be surprised if they released a Sigma version, but there's only so much they can change without making a completely new game. I had high hopes for this game after the Metroid debacle, but apparantly Team Ninja hasn't learned anything. I was really hoping this would be their redemption, but apparantly not.

Holy Shit, the auto targeting is downright infuriating!!!

Some of my combos just get completely interrupted when an injured enemy is nearby and I automatically execute a slice of bone technique. FUCKIN FUCK!!! Even worse, it leaves you more open to projectiles or throw.

Fiends have no "impact" when you hit them. You just slash slash slash and hope to god they don't grab you.

Steel on Foam™

I really dont think they would have to change much. Make the enemies drop essence, add more weapons (they are already doing this), keep UT's the same (I think them charging over time actually works well with the way battles work now), change ninpo back to the old system, add the shop keeper back (this would allow weapons to be upgraded), and add potions back in (this would be needed since they would be taking out the ninpo to fill your health mechanic), add in items to collect and unlockables. This really doesnt seem like that much to add to me, I think they definitely could do it through dlc/patches. They wont which is sad, because they do have the outline of a great game here but they just made some poor decisions along the way.

I didn't think they would change that much either and I totally agree with everything. And I'm not trying to be condescending when I say I think the controls are fine...I can see why it seems broken. Some of animations for moves seem way longer and Ryu is just heavier, staying lower to the ground. BUT there's also that crazy stuff that sends you all over the screen, so it's this weird mix of some moves with super long animations and stuff that comes out instantly. It's bad but its not lag or anything, it's just the way the game plays.

Steel on Foam™

I didn't think they would change that much either and I totally agree with everything. And I'm not trying to be condescending when I say I think the controls are fine...I can see why it seems broken. Some of animations for moves seem way longer and Ryu is just heavier, staying lower to the ground. BUT there's also that crazy stuff that sends you all over the screen, so it's this weird mix of some moves with super long animations and stuff that comes out instantly. It's bad but its not lag or anything, it's just the way the game plays.

It is easy to check that there is no input lag in this game. Just go to the online menu and pick training mode. Every button press registers perfectly. I think what people are confusing for input lag is that if you try to do a slide on landing from a move it wont let you unless the timing is perfect. Lots of times I will land with LT held and push the stick in some direction but Ryu doesnt move at all. That is a design choice, albeit a dumb one. You have to wait until you fully land before you can execute a slide. Outside of that there is some slowdown when there are a bunch of enemies on screen, but every command is being entered. I also think that since Ryu will switch mid combo from one enemie to another if the other guy is set up for Steel on bone or an OT, makes people think that all of their commands are not being registered.

It is easy to check that there is no input lag in this game. Just go to the online menu and pick training mode. Every button press registers perfectly. I think what people are confusing for input lag is that if you try to do a slide on landing from a move it wont let you unless the timing is perfect. Lots of times I will land with LT held and push the stick in some direction but Ryu doesnt move at all. That is a design choice, albeit a dumb one. You have to wait until you fully land before you can execute a slide. Outside of that there is some slowdown when there are a bunch of enemies on screen, but every command is being entered. I also think that since Ryu will switch mid combo from one enemie to another if the other guy is set up for Steel on bone or an OT, makes people think that all of their commands are not being registered.

There are a couple quirky things about canceling and moving around in the game-- it has its own timing altogether and if you go too fast (i.e. NG1+2 speed) moves won't come out a lot of the time.

as for OT/SOB, that just feels like NG2 to me-- clean up the field whenever possible. That goes for this game too since encounters are so long and the invincible frames you get from those moves are like free tickets to reposition yourself or attack with the advantage after the invincible frames.

edit: the team dm online is pretty bad, but a lot of fun. i just hate the automatic 2 minute wait for a match to start. I don't really play anything other than fighting games online-- is that a normal wait in other games?

Robot Pants

Man this game is infuriating on MNM.
Anyone complaining about the cheapness of NG2 has no idea what they are in for. NG3 goes above and beyond. Not that it's hard it's just the game is not designed well.
I did realize that no, there isn't any input lag, but the slowdown messes with your timing. And Ryu has had some serious recovery frames added to just about every move. Making committing to any sort of attack a 50/50 life or death guess most of the time, unless it's an enemy you know you can Izuna drop, because even a quick X,X combo won't have you recover in time and leaves you wide open for a grab, and my god the grabs.... That coupled with the terrible auto-targeting, and the massive slowdown (Day 1 was by far the worst. It's gotten better, but still slows down 70% of the time.), makes this Master Ninja run very frustrating.

Day 4 fighting in the acid pit: I have no words. I honestly can't believe I even beat it.
Oh and I hate the slide. Give me the roll or the dash. Preferably the dash.

edit: the team dm online is pretty bad, but a lot of fun. i just hate the automatic 2 minute wait for a match to start. I don't really play anything other than fighting games online-- is that a normal wait in other games?

The 2 minute wait is so fucking annoying. I really hope they patch that out at some point. It does it for co-op missions as well. It makes no sense to me, if someone hits ready then it is safe to assume that they are really ready and start the match. I had a blast with the DM the first day, but last night I tried to play it and the lag was really bad. Hopefully that is something they can sort out cause that mode is crazy and fun. I got into a room where it was me and 2 other guys against 1 guy, and he wrecked us. It was interesting seeing someone that good in action.

Mitama

Returned my preorder today... also sad that I wasted my time making the OP for this. I never expected this.

Hmm.. that's a first for me, seeing the OP canceling his order. Speaks volumes of the quality of this game. Very sad to see a once great series turn into this, so hopefully it'll have disappointing sales and have them learn from this.

MCD

Man this game is infuriating on MNM.
Anyone complaining about the cheapness of NG2 has no idea what they are in for. NG3 goes above and beyond. Not that it's hard it's just the game is not designed well.
I did realize that no, there isn't any input lag, but the slowdown messes with your timing. And Ryu has had some serious recovery frames added to just about every move. Making committing to any sort of attack a 50/50 life or death guess most of the time, unless it's an enemy you know you can Izuna drop, because even a quick X,X combo won't have you recover in time and leaves you wide open for a grab, and my god the grabs.... That coupled with the terrible auto-targeting, and the massive slowdown (Day 1 was by far the worst. It's gotten better, but still slows down 70% of the time.), makes this Master Ninja run very frustrating.

Day 4 fighting in the acid pit: I have no words. I honestly can't believe I even beat it.
Oh and I hate the slide. Give me the roll or the dash. Preferably the dash.

This is why I wil be waiting for Scythe and Claws. No way I am going that day 4 again with the sword.

No items is overkill too but we can manage.

MCD

Ryu shaking hands with a loli and acting all daddy like yay

Ryu carrying said loli and QTE his way through enemies

HAYASHIIIIIIIIIIII

Top Bottom