• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

It is easy to check that there is no input lag in this game. Just go to the online menu and pick training mode. Every button press registers perfectly. I think what people are confusing for input lag is that if you try to do a slide on landing from a move it wont let you unless the timing is perfect. Lots of times I will land with LT held and push the stick in some direction but Ryu doesnt move at all. That is a design choice, albeit a dumb one. You have to wait until you fully land before you can execute a slide. Outside of that there is some slowdown when there are a bunch of enemies on screen, but every command is being entered. I also think that since Ryu will switch mid combo from one enemie to another if the other guy is set up for Steel on bone or an OT, makes people think that all of their commands are not being registered.

I've always argued that there is no input lag, but rather the the input windows are larger and a bit more glitchy.

Meaning, if you dial in your combos from previous games muscle memory, half the time they won't come out, but if you dial them a slight bit slower, there is no problem.

I don't know about the imput lag but sometimes I have problems with XYX, instead of that the game registers XX, maybe I'm pushing the buttons to fast or the imput window for Y is different from the other games, but I never had any problem with the other games.

I've always argued that there is no input lag, but rather the the input windows are larger and a bit more glitchy.

Meaning, if you dial in your combos from previous games muscle memory, half the time they won't come out, but if you dial them a slight bit slower, there is no problem.

The timing of moves is definitely slower now. I threw me off at first trying to pull izuna drops. The first 2 games you push the buttons as fast as you can basically and the game would basically store the inputs, that no longer works. You have to pause for an instant now or he will do the move were he air juggles the guy and then spinning swords him to the ground.

DR2K

Banned
I literally just sold my NG1 Sigma Collector's Edition to Amazon for like.. $8 dollars a month ago. I must be some sort of super genius or something.

I'm sure someone is making a profit off of it though. I have NGS2 collectors edition. . . hmmm. . .

The 2 minute wait is so fucking annoying. I really hope they patch that out at some point. It does it for co-op missions as well. It makes no sense to me, if someone hits ready then it is safe to assume that they are really ready and start the match. I had a blast with the DM the first day, but last night I tried to play it and the lag was really bad. Hopefully that is something they can sort out cause that mode is crazy and fun. I got into a room where it was me and 2 other guys against 1 guy, and he wrecked us. It was interesting seeing someone that good in action.

yeah, if the lag was not so bad, it would be just like a huge fight in a NG game. I get that feeling a little bit from it, but the input lag is a problem online, then if you hit, sometimes the enemy lags out and freezes while you combo.

I'll give the trials a run tonight.

MNM sounds like utter shit. I knew the recovery frames would be a problem...the enemies take advantage only about half the time on hard and X,X (the only good block string lol) works well, though it doesn't look safe.

Sojgat

What version are you guys playing. I have the pal 360 version and it is broken as hell. I can stand still and press the x button once wait 3 seconds press it again and nothing will happen half the time. It doesn't have anything to do with the input window or waiting for animation to end. The jump into slide is one of the only moves that seems to work more than 70% of the time. It doesn't feel like input lag either because when the game does respond it responds instantly, but it feels like its not recognizing inputs literally half the time. Oh and the quicktime events work fine. Maybe it's just me, maybe I just suck but I had no trouble with any of the other Ninja Gaiden games. I have seen some reviews talk about it but none of them indicated it was this bad. On my system it's painful almost unplayable.

What version are you guys playing. I have the pal 360 version and it is broken as hell. I can stand still and press the x button once wait 3 seconds press it again and nothing will happen half the time. It doesn't have anything to do with the input window or waiting for animation to end. The jump into slide is one of the only moves that seems to work more than 70% of the time. It doesn't feel like input lag either because when the game does respond it responds instantly, but it feels like its not recognizing inputs literally half the time. Oh and the quicktime events work fine. Maybe it's just me, maybe I just suck but I had no trouble with any of the other Ninja Gaiden games. I have seen some reviews talk about it but none of them indicated it was this bad. On my system it's painful almost unplayable.

I havent played any of the retail copies yet. But I played the demo on both systems to compare.

It could be worse it could be better, but from what I played dialling anything slightly slower than you would intuitively do so for a NG game allowed things to work fine.

pa22word

The rarity of the CE is the only thing going for it. A cardboard case, cardboard sleeve with bonus disc and short guide book are the only additions over the standard edition.

The bonus disc is a mislabeled OST in a sleeve, the guidebook a couple of basic pointers, the comic is in the game as the install, and the "director's commentary" sums up to about a paragraph on the back of the book.

It's one of the worst CEs ever tbqh >.>

Day 4 fighting in the acid pit: I have no words. I honestly can't believe I even beat it

Lol, this part was infuriating. Let's make the player fight a bunch of enemies that have a ton of health, in a room that constantly damages you if you're touching the floor! Brilliant! I just beat it with one pixel of health left after dying over and over and over. Shit sucks.

Solid07

Banned
So do you think it's worth getting it for $10 like on gamefly sales in a few months or so? Or would I be better off using that $10 towards a better game?

Robot Pants

Lol, this part was infuriating. Let's make the player fight a bunch of enemies that have a ton of health, in a room that constantly damages you if you're touching the floor! Brilliant! I just beat it with one pixel of health left after dying over and over and over. Shit sucks.

Yea it was mind-boggling the amount of enemies you had to fight on Master Ninja. Just when I thought it was over, 3 more spawned. I think I yelled out loud 'ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!'
I was forced to spam the bow in midair until I got them down enough low enough to attack them with 3-4 hits and finish them. Even if I never got hit, I would have died from the acid if I tried to spam the bow the whole time. Also the amount of health you have for that battle depends on how well you did in the previous battle which is equally as difficult, maybe a little less so.
I think collectively those two battles took me 3 hours to beat. The rest of the level about 30 minutes.

So do you think it's worth getting it for $10 like on gamefly sales in a few months or so? Or would I be better off using that $10 towards a better game?
Eh, $10 dollars its probably worth it if you want to do the harder mode runs and the trials. If you are just looking to do the SP campaign on normal you'd probably get through it in a few hours and never touch it again.

RedSwirl

Eh, $10 dollars its probably worth it if you want to do the harder mode runs and the trials. If you are just looking to do the SP campaign on normal you'd probably get through it in a few hours and never touch it again.

Is it really that short? I decided to rent it from GameFly too since the reviews were all over the place.

Is it me or does this feel like they almost turned it into Call of Ninja Gaiden? I mean, the combat is still there, but somehow it feels even more linear than before with a ton of QTEs and scripted events. Story seems pretty good by Ninja Gaiden standards.

Carbonox

Day 4 is so ridiculous. Just beat that boss that keeps growing its fucking arms back. Oh, and the T Rex fight is the worst boss fight in gaming. Fuck that shit.

benzy

The missing moves and UTs are one of the most disappointing things about the game.

I miss the True Dragon Gleam. You get the TDS in NG3 but you only use it once, in a QTE scene.

ngr5u62.gif

Got a week off work starting 2moz and had a choice

Either
A) I walk 20 mins down to my local cex and pick this up used
B) catch a train 150 miles to my mothers house to pick up my copy of black and bring it home to finally complete it.

Guess where I'm going tomorrow.

The missing moves and UTs are one of the most disappointing things about the game.

I miss the True Dragon Gleam. You get the TDS in NG3 but you only use it once, in a QTE scene.

ngr5u62.gif

GOD. That's like getting the Dark Dragon Sword in NGB/NGS...only at the end

btw, that's a bad ass gif

Carbonox

Walking around Hayabusa village was nice but what the hell is the point of fighting Obaba again? :lol Totally random with no context whatsoever. Now I'm chopping apart battleships.

This game is mad.

Doing normal mode now, currently on Day 5. So far to me it's an OK action game, unfortunately I wasn't looking for an OK action game, I wanted a good NG game. Based off reviews and this thread I already knew what I was getting into when I got the game. I think the Steel On Bone thing is pretty cool, I absolutely HATE the kunai climbing and going across the rope. I'm going to attempt to finish the game buy yeah..it is unfortunate.

DR2K

Banned
So for people that have played and completed it, what would TN need to change in order for NG3 to redeem itself?

ngr5u62.gif

A close version is actually a normal combo now, I forget the button inputs though.

Why do all the bad guys have cooler moves than Ryu?

This is the #1 thing I can't understand. Part of what makes stylish action games work is that the main character is such a badass he can make billion-year-old cyborg demons look like chumps. Instead all I see from the footage of this game is Ryu getting styled on. Every time he runs into that mask dude for example he's got like thirty new moves and they all look awesome. Ryu? Dude's regressed so hard he doesn't qualify to be a ninja dog's diarrhea.

MCD

Why do all the bad guys have cooler moves than Ryu?

This is the #1 thing I can't understand. Part of what makes stylish action games work is that the main character is such a badass he can make billion-year-old cyborg demons look like chumps. Instead all I see from the footage of this game is Ryu getting styled on.

Ryu is a pussy nowadays, a simple shuriken can stop him now.

Just like DMC2's Dante, this is not Ryu but his fake brother or something.

MCD

Itagaki version of Ryu's village:

EVERYONE IS FUCKING DEAD GO IZUNA DROP THE FUCKERS!

Hayashi's version:

DERP DERP WALK IN SLOW MOTION

HELLO EVERYONE! HELLO RYU SAMA! OMG KAWAII~~~

Top Bottom