• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II Impressions + Itagaki Insanity

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The Orange said:
Ninja-freaks, check this out:
http://tigsource.com/articles/2008/02/08/katakijin-or-clothed-ninjas

"Katakijin is a work-in-progress ninja game by forum member Ultim8p00, citing Nikujin, Ninja Gaiden, and Knytt as inspirations. It’s pretty badass."

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I figured you guys might be interested in something like this, the youtube video at the bottom of the post seemed very NG-ish to me in a way :).

I downloaded the demo and played for a bit. It fucking owns. The enemies block, roll out of danger, and attack without hesitation. They can knock you out of your block, and punish you for turtling. The opening scene is badass. He fucking jumps off of a cliff, and slices the guy in half as he lands on the ground. I said, HOLY SHIT! :O The amount of moves the guy has is pretty damned great. He has UTs like Ryu does, and he's got some of the signatures. I'm not sure how to do the Flying swallow, or the wall slash, but I did figure out how to do some of the extended stuff.

The AI is impressive for what it is. I tried charging up a UT a bunch of times, but, only got managed to land it like twice: those were only lvl 1 techniques. It was satisfying as fuck to see those ninja bastards get ripped to shreads.

My only problem would be that it gets hard to see through some of the environments at times. Getting mobbed by some ninjas behind a bush, isn't fun. Thats nothing a roll can't save you from.

I hope they put some more knytt like exploration in it. The inspiration is there.

I can't fucking wait for the full game. Damn. The demo is fucking badass.

Edit: Hopefully we get some more weapons and stuff. I can't wait to see how far they take this.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
proposition said:
I thought they said the visuals were basically finished and they were just working on the gameplay?

Nope, like Francias said, the content was finished, e.g., level design, enemy designs, etc. - and they were now polishing up everything like the graphics, lighting, AI and so on...

And I'm positive that it'll be a 2008 title - when exactly, I don't know, but if they are throwing out so much media and having all these interviews and such, things much be on track for a no-so-distant release...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
has itagaki ever commented on his design for ryu? i'm curious if he's as daft about it as final fantasy character designers, whose criteria for good character design seems limited to "cool" and/or "sexy," if you believe the interviews

sprocket

Banned
beelzebozo said:
has itagaki ever commented on his design for ryu? i'm curious if he's as daft about it as final fantasy character designers, whose criteria for good character design seems limited to "cool" and/or "sexy," if you believe the interviews

itagaki took over NG form a guy.. who took it over form the original guy.

a lot of NG designs come from the first 2 games.

MCD

beelzebozo said:
i think itagaki's criteria would be "badass". :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sprocket said:
itagaki took over NG form a guy.. who took it over form the original guy.

a lot of NG designs come from the first 2 games.

yeah, but "leather body suit" wasn't in the first games, was it?

McDragon said:
i think itagaki's criteria would be "badass".

this qualifies as an excellent answer on his part

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
SuperBonk said:
:lol I like how he gives the finger when talking about the Path of the Acolyte.

Damn it, I came back just to post about that - so subtle too... :lol

Someone needs to make a grab of that shot...

Mamesj

Banned
Loto said:
I have seen 05/20/08 on a few sites as the release date. Was anything announced?

that's what gamestop has.

I sure as hell hope that's it-- would be perfect for me. Right after school, with 2 weeks before my internship starts. make it happen TN!

Loto

Gamestop, Gametrailers and lolgamefaqs all have it listed as 05/20/08!

I hope its correct too, I cannot wait. :D

clashfan

I know the perfect song for the NG II comercial.

Mr. Tambourine Man

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands...

Sean

Banned
I like how he put his middle finger out right as the translator was saying "and people who've never played Ninja Gaiden before", perfect timing :lol

itagakiflipsthebie49f6.png

This is a quote from the latest Ninja Gaiden 2 feature in EGM:

Like last year's stellar Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PS3), this one will also feature a female playable character. But Itagaki still refuses to provide any details regarding the series' new femme fatale.

Did we know this?!?!

Will it be Momiji (from the DS game), Ayane, or someone else entirely?

Nutter

a Master Ninja said:

Like last year's stellar Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PS3), this one will also feature a female playable character. But Itagaki still refuses to provide any details regarding the series' new femme fatale.

Did we know this?!?!

Will it be Momiji (from the DS game), Ayane, or someone else entirely?
Doubt it is Ayane, as she is getting her own action game. (at least that is what the has been said about code cronus?)

So maybe it is momiji. rachel was so totally not a ninja. So momiji would be good.

Darkman M

Nutter said:
Doubt it is Ayane, as she is getting her own action game. (at least that is what the has been said about code cronus?)

So maybe it is momiji. rachel was so totally not a ninja. So momiji would be good.

I thought code cronos is Katsumi's game?

·feist· said:
New to me. Just make sure it doesn't suck.
Assuming EGM has their facts straight, I hope this playable character either:
-plays similar enough to Ryu that switching between the two isn't as jarring as changing from Ryu to Rachel or Nero to Dante
-an unlockable that you can play as after you beat the entire game as Ryu

Honestly, I'm all for either of those options.
Also, I have no problem waiting until summer/fall to play this. Whatever amount of time TN needs to deliver the best product possible is fine by me.

Mrbob

a Master Ninja said:

Fuck.

Hunahan

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
this one will also feature a female playable character.
Veerrrrry innnnnteresting....hmmm...
Darkman M said:
I thought code cronos is Katsumi's game?
I thought code cronos was a non-existant game?

Wake me up when they even have a logo on this one.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dammit. I'd rather have Hayate playable.
He was bad fucking ass in his DoA4 ending.
True.

Then again, Ayane was pretty fucking badass in the DoA4 ending as well....

I could live with either.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
When someone told me that, I thought that they mixed up NG2 with NG:DS, but then I read it for myself and saw that it really was mentioned in the NG2 part of the article, which I found strange seeing as last year I think it was IGN that said that it would be Ryu alone...

Now to see if it isn't a misprint or not...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Horrible off-screen quality and off-sync audio, but I still thought they were still worth posting for the hardcore Ninja Gaiden II fans - stumbled onto these four vids of a Ninja Gaiden II demonstration that that was in Spain from MS last week...

It shows some new, crazy combos from the Scythe on the Venice level, as well as a player who probably shouldn't be playing NG2, as he got hammered by the ninjas, so bad in the fourth video that he got knocked into the water and had to swim out again...

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1Jc1oKqXE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSJ6rOHFZu8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bccLiohVFU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYJvlMgujME&feature=related

Draft

I'm 99% sure the female character thing is a misquote, and that it's referring to Dragon Sword, which clearly has a female PC for some segments.

USD

Skilotonn said:
Horrible off-screen quality and off-sync audio, but I still thought they were still worth posting for the hardcore Ninja Gaiden II fans - stumbled onto these four vids of a Ninja Gaiden II demonstration that that was in Spain from MS last week...

It shows some new, crazy combos from the Scythe on the Venice level, as well as a player who probably shouldn't be playing NG2, as he got hammered by the ninjas, so bad in the fourth video that he got knocked into the water and had to swim out again...

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1Jc1oKqXE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSJ6rOHFZu8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bccLiohVFU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYJvlMgujME&feature=related
Can anybody tell what he's throwing at the beginning of the third video? I assume it's some type of shuriken. And wow, somebody's whoring the magic.

I hope that Ryu's chain in the DOA4 ending is a new projectile weapon in this game, and not like Rachel's. I wanna attatch it to a wall and clothesline enemies with it.

Pachinko

The female is gonna be the same ninja that's in dragon sword obviously. She'll be in the tutorial level because ryu , being a super ninja needs no tutorial to kill his enemies.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
USD said:
Can anybody tell what he's throwing at the beginning of the third video? I assume it's some type of shuriken. And wow, somebody's whoring the magic.

Looks like a big kunai or something - can't really tell, but it looks big... quality is too bad to tell...

And yeah, that guy was really abusing the infinite Ninpo there...

MMaRsu said:
Question :

How big is the chance that we'll get a demo for this soon?

Itagaki did say "in the near future" when he confirmed that a demo was coming - hopefully something like next month or so - I'd go nuts if it happened at GDC, but I'm not going to set myself up to expect one then...

Top Bottom