• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Pig Studios announces "Meme Run" for the Wii U eShop

A guy I work with is kind of into programming and I'd like to get into it myself. This is the type of game we always joke about making for iOS because you'd probably make bank. However, I never considered copyright violation, and the person making this seems to be legitimately excited about making it.

All this "seal of quality" crap shows the age of a lot of folks. The seal of quality was to ensure that a game would execute, rather than fail to do so as there were a lot of cheaply made pieces of crap in the 80s. Clearly there's skne cheaply made crap in this decade too (see video) but stating "seal of quality" here is wrong.

Nintendo must be doing something wrong. They need a new approval service for eShop games or some day the eShop will look like the Android playstore. How come I don't find crap games like this on PSN?

Cyd0nia

Banned
He has no current plans to bring it to Europe :( he says he will if it sells well

I think he'll have pulled off something amazing if this ever gets to the shop. Part of me thinks it could, because as cheap and shitty as it might look to some, on some levels - its actually like some kind of Andy Warholian meta-tastic reuse of images for comedy purposes.

I really wouldn't want to pay more than £1.50 for this based off what I've seen but its still hilarious

Tuulenpoika

Neo Member
Oh my ******* god. This actually got through Nintendo's QA? This is a very depressing day, folks. Expect loads of more these kinds of "quality" games in the future. Not like there's never been cheap cashgrabs before, but this is a new low.

Kouriozan

Oh my ******* god. This actually got through Nintendo's QA? This is a very depressing day, folks. Expect loads of more these kinds of "quality" games in the future. Not like there's never been cheap cashgrabs before, but this is a new low.

The Letter already happened.

3bdelilah

Banned
Is the Seal of Quality a thing on eShop as well? If not, I really don't give a fuck. All I want from this SoQ is playing Nintendo games. If it means they get extra cash by releasing some shitty game on eShop, I really couldn't care less. As long as they won't harass me with its advertising on eShop.

Is the Seal of Quality a thing on eShop as well? If not, I really don't give a fuck. All I want from this SoQ is playing Nintendo games. If it means they get extra cash by releasing some shitty game on eShop, I really couldn't care less. As long as they won't harass me with its advertising on eShop.

The Seal of Quality hasn't existed at all since before the Wii era.

EDIT - I believe they still have a similar 'Nintendo Seal' emblem, but crucially that does not vouch for quality, and I think (?) it's only on Nintendo-published software.

In a world where Ubisoft can release early access games for full price, this game is seen as an abomination?

Yeah no. It might be trash, but it's nowhere near as damaging to the industry as anything AAA publishers are pulling.

Striek

Eh. First of all, the more open a platform the better. Sure more crap, but it means you lower the access for more talented devs too.

Nintendos problem is that although theres some quality indies on the eShop its probably the least popular digital platform so its got the worst current and upcoming library.

jimi_dini

All this "seal of quality" crap shows the age of a lot of folks. The seal of quality was to ensure that a game would execute, rather than fail to do so as there were a lot of cheaply made pieces of crap in the 80s. Clearly there's skne cheaply made crap in this decade too (see video) but stating "seal of quality" here is wrong.

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_Seal_of_Quality

Originally, for NTSC countries, the seal was a large, black and gold circular starburst. The seal read as follows: This seal is your assurance that NINTENDO has approved and guaranteed the quality of this product. This seal was later altered around 1988; approved and guaranteed was changed to evaluated and approved.

I mean just compare Duck Tales on NES with Duck Tales on PS3. The former didn't freeze the console. The latter does. Despite them being literally the same game (except useless HD graphics and voice work and cutscenes and shit)
I don't remember a single licensed NES game, that froze or crashed the console.

Sure, it says nothing about how "well" something plays. Or how "great" a game is. But that's simply a matter of taste. What's not a matter of taste are games that freeze/crash the console and corrupt saved games forcing the player to restart the game, a framerate of 0 frames per second and so on.

BUT
Nintendo changed it at some point to "Official Nintendo Seal" (which is quite telling about the "quality" of 3rd party developers).

And that means:
The official seal is your assurance that this product is licensed or manufactured by Nintendo. Always look for this seal when buying video game systems, accessories, games, and related products

Also: even just having a seal nowadays that says "approved that it doesn't fail" would be helpful last and this generation for all games but Nintendo games on all consoles. Nowadays console companies simply don't give a shit anymore.

"This actually got through Nintendo's QA?"

Well yes if it's a functioning title then it WILL get through. QA is not some content checker, unless of course it's blatantly indecent, but such titles generally get stopped well before they get to lotcheck.

Percy

Banned
I mean just compare Duck Tales on NES with Duck Tales on PS3. The former didn't freeze the console. The latter does. Despite them being literally the same game (except useless HD graphics and voice work and cutscenes and shit)

That's not how 'literally' works.

jimi_dini

That's not how 'literally' works.

literally
adverb
informal
used for emphasis while not being literally true.
"I have received literally thousands of letters"

Ever played Lord of the Rings on SNES?
So buggy, it must be on many Ubisoft Employees' "What inspired me to become a developer"-lists

No, I haven't. Would like to look into that. Funnily searching for it returns "Lego Lord of the rings" "crashes my console" posts and so on. Anyway that was the exception to the rule and I also wrote "NES games" in my post. Nowadays I'm already happy when a PS3 game doesn't freeze the console more than a few times and a game not freezing the console at all is a rare exception. I actually got used to that. I notice it nowadays because I'm almost exclusively playing on Wii U now and most games (Nintendo developed/published) simply work. For hours of playtime. Without freezing once. And most Nintendo games have not even gotten patched once.

I mean Duck Tales on PS3 for example - even has serious framerate issues. a simplistic 2D platformer has framerate issues. And freezes the console. Fuck that shit. They even included a trophy, where you have to complete the whole game without saving once. A game that froze on every single playthrough. I should have bought it on Wii U instead, sadly I wanted a physical copy. No idea if the Wii U version is more stable, but at least the framerate issue doesn't seem to occur on Wii U.

Fair dos, but really, beyond the name there is pretty much nothing of the original Ducktales in the HD version. It's a bad example to use is all because they are literally two different games :)

Codebase wise of course. But that wasn't my point. Duck Tales on PS3 is not a 3D open world platformer. It's also a 2D platformer. It features almost the same levels as the NES game. Gameplay wise it's the same (well the HD version plays worse in my opinion). There is no excuse that such a game freezes the console and even has framerate issues. The game froze on me during a cutscene. A cutscene! That's simply laughable. And I even played a patched version of the game.

Amalthea

Banned
Ever played Lord of the Rings on SNES?
So buggy, it must be on many Ubisoft Employees' "What inspired me to become a developer"-lists

Ban Puncher

hXggMl2.gif

Percy

Banned
literally
adverb
informal

Fair dos, but really, beyond the name there is pretty much nothing of the original Ducktales in the HD version. It's a bad example to use is all because they are literally two different games :)

Amalthea

Banned
literally
adverb
informal

No, I haven't. Would like to look into that. Funnily searching for it returns "Lego Lord of the rings" "crashes my console" posts and so on. Anyway that was the exception to the rule and I also wrote "NES games" in my post. Nowadays I'm already happy when a PS3 game doesn't freeze the console more than a few times and a game not freezing the console at all is a rare exception. I actually got used to that. I notice it nowadays because I'm almost exclusively playing on Wii U now and most games (Nintendo developed/published) simply work. For hours of playtime. Without freezing once. And most Nintendo games have not even gotten patched once.

I mean Duck Tales on PS3 for example - even has serious framerate issues. a simplistic 2D platformer has framerate issues. And freezes the console. Fuck that shit. They even included a trophy, where you have to complete the whole game without saving once. A game that froze on every single playthrough. I should have bought it on Wii U instead, sadly I wanted a physical copy. No idea if the Wii U version is more stable, but at least the framerate issue doesn't seem to occur on Wii U.
It's seriously buggy for a Licensed by Nintendo game of its time. Like sometimes you can skip the whole tutorial section and leave Hobbinton without your Hobbit friends because the gate vanishes randomly. But if you go there it's back again. So you can't get your party members.

And if you do they might randomly vanish, start to fight agains thin air, being stuck in the middle of absolutely impassable terrain. And Legolas does absolutely nothing because he has a bow but the developers didn't bother with scripting projectile weapons into the game.

Ducktales HD didn't have to many problems on Wii U but I mean the D&D Arcade collection by Capcom was heavily delayed because Nintendo forced them to remove some game breaking bugs, for example.

Puruzi

Banned
This game doesn't negatively affect anyone, why are people complaining? If you don't like it, then don't buy it.

Percy

Banned

Well, the Wii U version certainly had those crash issues as well (Or did. No idea if it's since been patched) but I don't doubt the framerate is likely better on Wii U. More powerful hardware after all... no reason it wouldn't have.

Codebase wise of course. But that wasn't my point. Duck Tales on PS3 is not a 3D open world platformer. It's also a 2D platformer. It features almost the same levels as the NES game. Gameplay wise it's the same (well the HD version plays worse in my opinion). There is no excuse that such a game freezes the console and even has framerate issues. The game froze on me during a cutscene. A cutscene! That's simply laughable. And I even played a patched version of the game.

I'm honestly not too sure what your point is supposed to be then, tbh. Also, I'm well aware that the HD version is a piece of shit, both technically and otherwise. I just thought drawing that comparison with the NES original was kind of weird is all.

jimi_dini

It's seriously buggy for a Licensed by Nintendo game of its time. Like sometimes you can skip the whole tutorial section and leave Hobbinton without your Hobbit friends because the gate vanishes randomly. But if you go there it's back again. So you can't get your party members.

And if you do they might randomly vanish, start to fight agains thin air, being stuck in the middle of absolutely impassable terrain. And Legolas does absolutely nothing because he has a bow but the developers didn't bother with scripting projectile weapons into the game.

That really sounds like Ubisoft lol
Is there some video showing all the glitches? Or a wiki?

Ducktales HD didn't have to many problems on Wii U

But there were still issues? I actually consider buying it digitally on Wii U and selling my PS3 copy.

but I mean the D&D Arcade collection by Capcom was heavily delayed because Nintendo forced them to remove some game breaking bugs, for example.

Now that's nice and not common nowadays. I think the reason why Fatal Frame IV wasn't released in the west was also serious bugs, that the developer refused to fix. I would want every console company to do something like that - for every game. I mean that's why I went to consoles in the first place.

Games like this here, sure it looks ugly and probably doesn't play that well. But like I said - that's a matter of taste. I'm ok with that.

I'm honestly not too sure what your point is supposed to be then, tbh. Also, I'm well aware that the HD version is a piece of shit, both technically and otherwise. I just thought drawing that comparison with the NES original was kind of weird is all.

A common excuse for buggy HD games is: "it's way more complex than the games on NES/SNES and so on. 3D and shit". And that's simply not true for Duck Tales HD (codebase is larger, BUT the complexity of the game itself isn't larger, it wouldn't have been a problem to fix those freezes). That was my point. The whole excuse itself was proven invalid anyway, Nintendo released quite a few complex HD games and none of them have such issues. They even managed to go rock solid 60 fps almost all the time.

Amalthea

Banned
That really sounds like Ubisoft lol
Is there some video showing all the glitches? Or a wiki?
I dunno. Last I looked there were barely infos about this game. I mean it's awful, it's hardly playable if you don't have the dungeon maps wich were originally only in the manual and the whole design is basically just fetch quests and on top of that it's a big RPG with a fucking password system.

Few people would propably dare to play the game long enough to look for the bugs. And the games overworld sections and dungeons sure take long. Like Xenoblade long but as an awful 16-bit game.

DJ88

Ignoring the shitty memes and how annoying it is, just the core gameplay and design of the levels looks like ass. Half of those jumps are almost impossible to make because of how poorly they're laid out.

Top Bottom