• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory teases new project, unveiling soon

Going out on a limb:

boxartlg.jpg

banner.png

tracy-morgan-hell-no-o.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Especially for a British studio. I really don't know how they keep doing it.

Do they get any government support?

I mean in this generation we saw studios close after one medium budget game flop,yet NT had three big budget games that completely failed to sell good,yet they still going strong not even shifting to smaller games,there must is some sort of magic here.

I mean in this generation we saw studios close after one medium budget game flop,yet NT had three big budget games that completely failed to sell good,yet they still going strong not even shifting to smaller games,there must is some sort of magic here.

Never thought about it... but you're right.

BadAss2961

I hope Capcom learned their lesson. Scrap DmC and leave Devil May Cry alone until you're ready to properly develop it in-house.

I get the distinct impression you took everything he said in the past deeply personal.

It's kind of true.

I was at the GDC panel where they showed images with "some "old Dante" homosexual jokes at people/DMC fans". They were nothing of the sort, it was a joke in relation to Capcom asking them to make DmC like a western movie. But as I've come to learn over the course of this game's development, bitter fans like to fabricate stories to make NT look bad.

And evidently you're one of those people.

NT chose the wrong movie to show that. All this time they were talking about reboots like The Dark Knight, I would think that they would show that instead of Brokeback Mountain.

Never did buy DmC.

I considered it, but I didn't have enough interest.

I treat developers kind of like individual artists.

I'll play a game because I like a developer's style and and their specific vision and execution of a game.

I've played and enjoyed other Ninja Theory games. However if I play a DMC game I want to play the work of the people who developed 3 and 4.

Or Platinum. Platinum is always good.

I am curious about what they're working on next. By "soon" I'm assuming they mean in the next few months.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of those development studios that makes you wonder how they keep being given large sums of money.

They have literally never had a big hit. Their titles range from mediocre sales to hugely disappointing sales.

Not only that but there seems to be no demand for their games

I mean I can understand why people want to work with studios like Platinum or Grasshopper(when they were still independent) despite them having no history of strong selling titles. They both seem to have really visible fanbases and notably cater to a niche no one else is filling right now.

but I just don't see that with Ninja Theory. Not only do I not see the strong following I don't see them filling a particular niche, or having any sort of unique identity or "flavor" that can't be found at any other studio.

I realize this reasoning is anecdotal at best but it's what comes to mind when someone stops and asks "why do they still get big projects?". I don't even know why I know this studio by name really

AlterOdin

May be old by now (and offensive), but here goes.

lolr7kqx.jpg

PS. The damage may have already been done, haven't played 3 yet.

edit: EPIC spelling error
insert UE3 joke here

I would ask who cares but obviously there are plenty that want to see this studio continue to burn.

I really hope it isn't a capcom project so I can return to ignoring their existence.

Glass Rebel

That just makes the loss of Bizarre and Studio Liverpool even harder to stomach.

I would ask who cares but obviously there are plenty that want to see this studio continue to burn.

I really hope it isn't a capcom project so I can return to ignoring their existence.

Looking at sales, I don't think so.

That just makes the loss of Bizarre and Studio Liverpool even harder to stomach.

Looking at sales, I don't think so.

Looking at sales I find it amazing that a ninja theory project is even threadworthy outside of the comment "someone gave these motherfuckers money again?"

I very much doubt it's the new strider. It's basically everything that ninja theory isn't as a developer.

It will be some psudeo game nonsense like flower, flow or journey. That's what they would be good at and that's were they will make money as a dev. Not to mention it would be something they could get to a marketable stage pretty fast after finishing DmC. It's also something who's existence is totally inoffensive to me and safely ignored.

I'd be just as pissed of at a NT strider as I was at DmC

BadAss2961

Ninja Theory is the only developer i've ever seen that scares people when they announce that they'll be showing something. People fear what IP they might get.

Please stick to new IPs and/or Heavenly Sword.
I very much doubt it's the new strider. It's basically everything that ninja theory isn't as a developer.

But that was Devil May Cry. lol

Ninja Theory is the only developer i've ever seen that scares people when they announce that they'll be showing something. People fear what IP they might get.

Please stick to new IPs and/or Heavenly Sword.

But that was Devil May Cry. lol

You could at least say heavenly sword and even enslaved had some action game influences.

Strider is a fast paced 2D arcade sidescroller. There is literally no room for character development or story.

Can you even make 2D games with unreal engine?

sleepykyo

You could at least say heavenly sword and even enslaved had some action game influences.

Strider is a fast paced 2D arcade sidescroller. There is literally no room for character development or story.

Yes. Shadow Complex is pretty well regarded.

BadAss2961

Who's to say they're not making a 3D Strider...

Or did I miss something?

Glass Rebel

Looking at sales I find it amazing that a ninja theory project is even threadworthy outside of the comment "someone gave these motherfuckers money again?"

It will be some psudeo game nonsense like flower, flow or journey. That's what they would be good at and that's were they will make money as a dev. Not to mention it would be something they could get to a marketable stage pretty fast after finishing DmC. It's also something who's existence is totally inoffensive to me and safely ignored.

I'd be just as pissed of at a NT strider as I was at DmC

That's my position as well atm. Strider by NT wouldn't resemble the previous games in any way.

That is a completely bullshit statement.

Downright unintelligent.

The leak of the new Strider came form XBLA, so 2D is more likely.

But a DMC style modern 3D character action Strider game from NT...

sogood.gif

oh boy, I might throw up

Strider Hiryu as a down on his luck mercenary on the run from the megacorporation run by racist Chinese caricature Grandmaster Meio. They call him "Ryu" because "Hiryu" is too hard to pronounce with an English accent. He wears a scarf for the first five minutes of the game before tearing it off exclaiming while exclaiming "This thing is too fucking hot to fight in!"

Higher cultural levels.jpg

Sorry, I just find the implication that the narrative quality or quantity must or should be lowered within specific genres to be asinine.

Nothing except developer bad decision making or lack or resources prevents the distinct gameplay sequences already in a game, whether it be levels or otherwise, from being mixed with explanation for what you are doing and why, to motivate a player to continue on in the game and strive for success at it. Skip it if you don't like it, but don't go demanding games lack it completely.

Sorry, I just find the implication that the narrative quality or quantity must or should be lowered within specific genres to be asinine.

Nothing except developer bad decision making or lack or resources prevents the distinct gameplay sequences already in a game, whether it be levels or otherwise, from being mixed with explanation for what you are doing and why, to motivate a player to continue on in the game and strive for success at it.

Sorry, I find the implication that a xbla game is going to have a budget that fits ninja theories typical method of storytelling pretty asinine, especially when shoehorning it in to a series that lives and dies by its arcade twitch gameplay.

I also find it equally asinine the idea that every game needs shitty story to motivate you to complete it.

Wouldn't mind them doing the next Ninja Gaiden.

Hayashit's worse turd is still better than Ninja theories best game.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Like fine wine.

Don't even try to sully the good name of the greatest living actor. You will make powerful enemies.

/I will buy what ever Ninja Theory announces if they have playable Jean.

Oh man a leon the professional game by ninja theory would be awesome.

a series that lives and dies by its arcade twitch gameplay.

And adding a story doesn't subtract that at all, which is the crux of what I'm saying.

I was also speaking super generally, not specifically about NT's style of story telling. It could be an XBLA title by Capcom, and I'd still want at least between level text screens or dialog boxes with character portraits developing a world and characters.

number of good ninja theory games: 0
number of financially successful ninja theory games: 0

how do they keep trucking along while every other middling tier studio is getting closed left and right

And adding a story doesn't subtract that at all, which is the crux of what I'm saying.

I was also speaking super generally, not specifically about NT's style of story telling. It could be an XBLA title by Capcom, and I'd still want at least between level text screens or dialog boxes with character portraits developing a world and characters.

which is fine. But thats not what ninja theory does, hence my suggestion that whatever it is, it wont be the strider game and thank fuck for that.

Toppot

I'd really like another Heavenly Sword. No way in hell it will be that, but I'd still like it

<3 Kai :3

Soriku

Lol they should probably prepare to close their studio if they have plans for DmC2. I can only imagine what the sales of a sequel to a game nobody wanted (and has sold abysmally) would be.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man a leon the professional game by ninja theory would be awesome.

A moment of elation followed by a lifetime of pathos, my happiness efficiently rubbed out by the cold hard truth that such an assignment would never be given to Ninja Theory.

You've forever ruined my dreams. Are you happy? Well are you?

TheHater

Lol they should probably prepare to close their studio if they have plans for DmC2. I can only imagine what the sales of a sequel to a game nobody wanted (and has sold abysmally) would be.

question
Heavenly sword sold over 2 million on the PS3, has DmC pass 2 million yet on 3 platforms?

Top Bottom