• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory teases new project, unveiling soon

ArjanN

Maybe you only played Strider 2? Both the NES and Arcade/Genesis games were amazing for their time. The latter still holds up well today gameplay wise, NT would likely fuck it up in some way.

The arcade version had cool platforming that often utilized the character's momentum , amazing boss battles and set pieces for the time( the airship level comes to mind, as well as the anti gravity sections) excellent soundtrack, that set it apart from everything else. "Not very good" my ass, Strider is a classic!

I said it wasn't that good, it's been a while but I remembered it as an OK game that looked cool. Maybe I played it kind of late.

Neff

Heavenly Swords,Enslaved,DmC bombed (and they were all big budget project) and Tameem Antoniades bad mouthed Microsoft after Kung Fu Chaos in HS dairy dev diary and then Sony after HS saying he want it multiplat and got nothing from Sony..ect.

so yeah I really doubt that they'll get a big publisher this time.

The noose is definitely tightening. It's worth bearing in mind that Ninja Theory is a developer who exclusively deals in big-budget produce, yet hasn't had a commercial hit. As they keep turning out mediocre material, the queue of studios wanting to hire them will get shorter and shorter. If they turn out another flop, they'll need to substantially change the way they make games if they want another shot.

Most people outside of the rather suspect Ninja Theory journalistic circlejerk would agree that they haven't made a good game yet. Poor sales bear this out.

Shinta

Banned
I'm playing through DMC now, and I'm blown away honestly. I had no idea Ninja Theory could come that far after Enslaved, which I really didn't like.

I'm hoping they learned a bunch at Capcom, because their art, and environmental design is top notch. I'm really, really interested in whatever they have to show next.

DMC is criminally underrated.

VertPin

I'm playing through DMC now, and I'm blown away honestly. I had no idea Ninja Theory could come that far after Enslaved, which I really didn't like.

I'm hoping they learned a bunch at Capcom, because their art, and environmental design is top notch. I'm really, really interested in whatever they have to show next.

The replays are awful if you're a hardcore DMC player. The art is distasteful after so much of it, and the colored enemies and less diversity weapon choice is shameful. They messed up Vergil too. Wasn't demonic at all. DT sucked butthole.
It was still good though, but I'd MUCH rather have a DMC5 by Capcom.

zainetor

Banned

have you played the previous dmc games?

Shinta

Banned
have you played the previous dmc games?

I did, but I was never a gigantic fan of any of them besides the first one. I liked the focus on cool environments, and platforming that it had. My brother is the hardcore DMC series fan, and I was surprised that he actually agrees. I was more of the hardcore Ninja Gaiden fan.

I'm not saying that any of the DMC games are bad (I actually liked DMC2 at least a little bit), or that it needed a reboot. But Ninja Theory did make a pretty fantastic game in my opinion, and if it was called anything but DMC, it would be a must play for any action game fans out there. The platforming is fantastic, and I really am blown away by the environmental changes. Reminds me of Rygar on PS2 almost. The story is actually kind of interesting, and I expected to hate it honestly. The soundtrack is pretty decent, and there are a handful of tracks that I'm liking a lot. The combat seemed a little button mashy, but as I keep adding new weapons and abilities it gets more interesting. I'm still on Nephilim, so I'm looking forward to the harder difficulties when I unlock them, and will try that before I make a final call on the combat, but so far it's fun enough.

It's way, way, way better than their previous games. I know a large part of that is Capcom advising even to single frames, so I'm really curious to see what NT can carry over into a new game.

Top Bottom