• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2011/2012 Fiscal Meeting 26/04 [Update: Full Notes In OP, DD System, More]

stealthpengu

Neo Member
Ha, did anyone else notice this?

Originally Posted by Iwata:
Nintendo has never conducted and will never conduct what is now widely known (in Japan) as a “gacha-type charging business” (capsule toy vending machine business), which asks consumers to pay money without knowing what kind of item shall emerge as a result of their payment, even if such a business model might temporarily yield high profitability.
News just emerging today:

Originally Posted by Destructoid:
Remember all those "mystery toy" lines in the 90s, where you'd buy unknown capsules that would sometimes dissolve in water? Many toy manufactures are still making them actually, preying on our child-like sense of curiosity -- now, Nintendo seems to be in on the fun. Starting today, Club Nintendo members can now grab "Surprise Me Boxes" for 300 coins apiece. It looks like they're already sold out, but keep the page bookmarked in case they restock.
:p

This is why NCL doesn't give NOA nice things... dammit guys!

BurntPork

Banned
It's one of those things where you kind of feel sorry for him, but the level of stupidity it takes to post such a thing is chuckle-worthy.

Then I picture some poor guy crying in his basement because he can't post on GAF during E3, and I get a bit depressed. :(

You feel sorry for him for basically planning to rip people off? He earned that ban. He still has his avatar, though, so it might not be perma.

watershed

Banned
I can't wait to download NSMB2 from the eshop. This is a godsend to me because I have an NA 3ds but I'm living in Korea. Now I won't have to get retail games shipped to me anymore!

Most things in this presentation seems believable and current/forward thinking.

However, I will eat my hat if this is true unless they mean that in terms of A.) sheer existence of titles or B.) almost all Japanese supporting drying up to the point that Petz: Dogs and some b-tier/c-tier outsourced side games count as same quality support.

Edit:

Oh, oh, they probably mean Nintendo games.

Nope. I'm almost as skeptical as you are, for the obvious reasons, but Iwata explicitly referred to Western third-party support in his presentation; he also made a similar remark back in January.

You will strongly feel the changes in the thoughts of third-party software developers, overseas developers in particular, for the better.
qiGOO.jpg

zroid

Banned
Nintendo does not believe such a business model can establish long-lasting relationships with our consumers. We hope that everyone understands our policy, and we will continue to make efforts to avoid such misunderstandings as, “the next ‘Animal Crossing’ might be a game which relies upon add-on content sales.”

Nintendo really doesn't get enough credit for its respectful treatment of the consumer, especially in this day and age where we get pooped on by publishers left and right.

Nintendo really doesn't get enough credit for its respectful treatment of the consumer, especially in this day and age where we get pooped on by publishers left and right.

Or at least we can attribute their poor moves (no account system on the Wii, DSi, or 3DS) as incompetence rather than malice and wringing the consumers dry.

udivision

they don't bring over the games
they make bad hardware instead of bleeding edge stuff so thy can turn a profit
they gots bad online

Doesn't matter how valid any of those complaints are, they certainly exist and are loud enough so Nintendo isn't going to get much credit.

This has prolly ben brought up before. My biggest concern is storage space.. the wiiU supposedly has 8gb storage space, thats gonna fill up fast, on the 360 i have 100gb filled from just the xbla games/saves, i can't imagine having full retail games that would be 4-8gb..(yea NSMB was under a GB)..but still.

I dont want to have a bucket of SD cards next to the system.

Anteo

Yet we have people saying this. (Refering to FE 3ds)

Between this and DLC (if this was DS it would have been free) I wouldn't care much if this isn't localized by NoA.

I wonder at what point people can look at a game dlc before the game launches and not think "the game is incomplete" or "a few years ago this would had been unlockable".

Edit :

This has prolly ben brought up before. My biggest concern is storage space.. the wiiU supposedly has 8gb storage space, thats gonna fill up fast, on the 360 i have 100gb filled from just the xbla games/saves, i can't imagine having full retail games that would be 4-8gb..(yea NSMB was under a GB)..but still.

Hard Disks were confirmed for Wii U long ago.

zroid

Banned
Or at least we can attribute their poor moves (no account system on the Wii, DSi, or 3DS) as incompetence rather than malice and wringing the consumers dry.

they don't bring over the games
they make bad hardware instead of bleeding edge stuff so thy can turn a profit
they gots bad online

Doesn't matter how valid any of those complaints are, they certainly exist and are loud enough so Nintendo isn't going to get much credit.

It's risk-aversion moreso than anything else (traditionally Japanese in that sense). They're also a much smaller company than their primary competition, so that plays a role.

I think it's self-evident that as a whole they care about building relationships with their customers. It's no accident that Nintendo fans are a fiercely loyal bunch.

Somnid

It can use USB hard drives. Go nuts.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wonder if they'll support SSD read/write speeds? I'm sure they'll become pretty common within the Wii U's lifetime. It could be pretty rad if they enabled near instand loading and such even for the intensive games, eliminating loading stutters and such too...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Come on. There are already some DD models in the industry that they can emulate.

I'm sure it will be fine, but Nintendo has burned me before. There are perfectly good online features from their competition they could emulate, yet they still don't have all the features from their competitors. I mean, I remember when Iwata was touting how connected Wii would be 6 years ago. Granted, they've learned a lot in six years, but I'm still very cautious about getting excited about these sorts of things. Nintendo always has great games, but in other areas they are still lacking.

Vinci

Danish
I'm sure it will be fine, but Nintendo has burned me before. There are perfectly good online features from their competition they could emulate, yet they still don't have all the features from their competitors. I mean, I remember when Iwata was touting how connected Wii would be 6 years ago. Granted, they've learned a lot in six years, but I'm still very cautious about getting excited about these sorts of things. Nintendo always has great games, but in other areas they are still lacking.

You're free to feel as you like, but such comments seem rather naive regarding the various differences existing between Nintendo and its competitors.

Cipherr

Well they could have gone in the FY11/12 report thread but I guess that thread title will be more noticed :)

Naaaaaaaah catch all thread for that stuff is a good idea.

Very true, although Nintendo doesn't usually do revisions for their consoles.

Huh? Console wise whats the breakdown on revisions. Wii/NES/SNES right? Or was there not an SNES one? Meh I cannot recall but I think more consoles have had revisions than the ones that have not. I think thats certainly the case for the handhelds.

Goody

I'm honestly really glad to see Nintendo making a big push into digital distribution. This retail part of this is really intriguing and will hopefully lead to some competitive pricing that Nintendo themselves could take part in. That might be too much to ask for, but I'd love to see retail games on the 3DS and Wii U reasonably priced, unlike the Games on Demand service.

That and I'm sure now that Nintendo will allow us to transfer our WiiWare and Virtual Console games over to the Wii U, as long as it's technically possible. If DD is as important to them as they make it seem, there's no way they'd allow that kind of bad faith in their consumer in regards to their digital shop.

Vinci

Danish
One thing I hadn't considered about this change: Nintendo, you no longer have any viable reason to fail in bringing a game overseas. Don't want a retail release? Fine. DD it - just give people the damn option.

Instro

Huh? Console wise whats the breakdown on revisions. Wii/NES/SNES right? Or was there not an SNES one? Meh I cannot recall but I think more consoles have had revisions than the ones that have not. I think thats certainly the case for the handhelds.

The Wii has a revision?

GDGF

Soothsayer
One thing I hadn't considered about this change: Nintendo, you no longer have any viable reason to fail in bringing a game overseas. Don't want a retail release? Fine. DD it - just give people the damn option.

One of the best bits about this whole deal.

Great thread, btw.

You know as well as I do that this changes nothing. He was even shy in regards to Fire Emblem coming to US during the call.

Vinci

Danish
You know as well as I do that this changes nothing. He was even shy in regards to Fire Emblem coming to US during the call.

To hell it shouldn't change anything. NOA needs to be gutted if having a viable DD service doesn't yield more localizations. It would cost them virtually nothing to release them on DD and it wouldn't interfere with the market perception of the system, given that's an issue.

They'd still have to localize it, but you're right, that get's rid of one of the obstacles.

RedSwirl

What I'm wondering is if you'll have to format or something. Just letting you plug up any external HDD seems like leaving the system wide open to hacks/piracy/etc. I guess it could be similar to how the PS3 reads any external HDD formatted to FAT32.

Since I don't actually believe them when they say Western support is going to catch up, I sure hope that they mean a 5th Cell game is coming.

I know they're working on that XBLA shooter, but come home to Nintendo portables, Jackson!

Top Bottom