• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2016 Fiscal Year Earnings Release: Targeting 10 million Switches this f-year

Almost certainly. They were burned by bullish forecasts on the Wii U.

They forecast a completely absurd 9M for its first full FY on the market, and refused to revise that downward with their Q1 and Q2 results when it was obvious to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to sales figures that they wouldn't even reach half that figure. They ended up hitting less than a third of their target.

Neonep

The only thing that will get me to buy a Switch is Pokemon. Once it is announced I will go on the hunt for a Switch. When do we expect them to announce this game if it is true, because this seems like the game that would get its own direct.

I wonder why Capcom was so apprehensive about the Switch in comparison to the 3DS or even the Wii U.
Apparently laughing at the suggestion of MVCI on Switch, the Disney *NES* games skipping the system entirely, their only Switch title being a game that was on sale for like $2 on PSN the other month being sold for $40 while missing launch by like 2 months and a half. I'm not sure I get it. Capcom supported the 3DS when no one else did and they sold several million units on there even with SFIV which sold like 1.4M.
Maybe they'll see the change and adapt, but we won't be seeing much from them for awhile.

Neonep

I wonder why Capcom was so apprehensive about the Switch in comparison to the 3DS or even the Wii U.
Apparently laughing at the suggestion of MVCI on Switch, the Disney *NES* games skipping the system entirely, their only Switch title being a game that was on sale for like $2 on PSN the other month being sold for $40 while missing launch by like 2 months and a half. I'm not sure I get it. Capcom supported the 3DS when no one else did and they sold several million units on there even with SFIV which sold like 1.4M.
Maybe they'll see the change and adapt, but we won't be seeing much from them for awhile.
Or maybe they have somethings planned just haven't spoken on them yet.

Sandfox

The best answer is because it's Capcom. They constantly drop the ball.

While you could argue MHXX wouldn't look too nice on Switch in HD, They did port MH3G to Wii U. I'm pretty sure they said it exceeded expectations too. Just seems like Capcom thought the Switch was going to be something else so they decided to not support it early on.
At this point I'd be shocked if MH stays Nintendo exclusive, maybe be a bit shocked if it comes to Switch at the same time/at all.
Or maybe they have somethings planned just haven't spoken on them yet.
I imagine they'll make stuff for it in the future, but after SFII they have nothing announced for it.
It was awhile before MH was confirmed for 3DS, but 3G launched in December in Japan and Capcom had SF43D at launch and had two resident evil games announced for it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
e Switch was going to be something else so they decided to not support it early on.
At this point I'd be shocked if MH stays Nintendo exclusive, maybe be a bit shocked if it comes to Switch at the same time/at all.

You think Capcom is going to skip the only viable portable system in Japan on a system built off portable multiplayer in Japan?

They forecast a completely absurd 9M for its first full FY on the market, and refused to revise that downward with their Q1 and Q2 results when it was obvious to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to sales figures that they wouldn't even reach half that figure. They ended up hitting less than a third of their target.

In retrospect this even more ridiculous.

Mory Dunz

Nintendo's release schedule is pretty crowded for 2017. I can see Retro's game getting bumped to 2018, especially if they have another big title ready for 2017 (Pokemon or Smash). Even if they don't have another big game, they may not have a big open window for another major 2017 title.

I disagree. If neither pokemon and smash exist/are 2017, it's actually not that crowded. But I think they do exist.

jonno394

While you could argue MHXX wouldn't look too nice on Switch in HD, They did port MH3G to Wii U. I'm pretty sure they said it exceeded expectations too. Just seems like Capcom thought the Switch was going to be something else so they decided to not support it early on.

I imagine they'll make stuff for it in the future, but after SFII they have nothing announced for it.
It was awhile before MH was confirmed for 3DS, but 3G launched in December in Japan and Capcom had SF43D at launch and had two resident evil games announced for it.

Street Fighter releases in May, then June we have E3. I'm either expecting 2 or 3 Switch titles shown by Capcom in the Nintendo Direct, or nothing.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

They probably were apprehensive because they saw it as the successor of the Wii U (in terms of sales) than the 3DS (again, in terms of sales). In retrospect, most of the Japanese developers (and many western ones) would put more support for the system if they knew it would become this phenomenon.

I stated it before and I will say it again, I don't expect to see the flood of Japanese game announcements until Fall and the flood of western, non-indie games until 2018. Game development is time consuming and very expensive, and most companies are probably starting with proposals to management about switch ports and exclusives.

Bullet point #1 in that powerpoint is probably "switch is one of the best selling systems in Nintendo history" and bullet point #2 is that "Legend of Zelda is driving current sales, so the audience is likely more receptive to 3rd party games."

Just sayin'

10m for FY2017 is way lower than what I expected Nintendo to ship.

They are being really conservative.

Conservative forecasts are sensible, given their recent history. They got burned particularly badly by selling less than a third of their Wii U target in FY2013, and while not by as dramatic a margin, I think they've missed most of their 3DS hardware and software forecasts (though not this year).

Rösti;234914023 said:
Nintendo has yet to announce time and date of its E3 2017 Nintendo Direct/Digital Event/Press conference. They will likely share some details on E3 2017 during the earnings release briefing on April 28.

Did they do that before? I think we might see something next week though May 3rd

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Did they do that before? I think we might see something next week though May 3rd
Did they share E3 details in an earnings release briefing before? Yes, they did. Here's an image of a slide during the Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ended March 2016:

e32016gfubg.png

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/events/160428/04.html

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I disagree. If neither pokemon and smash exist/are 2017, it's actually not that crowded. But I think they do exist.

Fire emblem warriors
Mario oddissey
Xenoblade 2

For the last 4 months of the year

I can see Animal crossing being announced and released shortly after if there will actually be the mobile app in the second half of the year

Possible emptiness won't be due to Nintendo output but as usual from third party issues

The only solution would be to actually merge their portable and home pipeline but so far we haven't seen anything substantial about it

Mory Dunz

Fire emblem warriors
Mario oddissey
Xenoblade 2

For the last 4 months of the year

I can see Animal crossing being announced and released shortly after if there will actually be the mobile app in the second half of the year

Possible emptiness won't be due to Nintendo output but as usual from third party issues

The only solution would be to actually merge their portable and home pipeline but so far we haven't seen anything substantial about it

AC shortly announced after what? like early 2018.

But yeah, without pokemon and smash I stand by saying 2017 isn't all that crowded. Those three games is about the level I'm expecting for the switch. Smash and Pokemon would be top tier level. Mind you, I think they exist along with Mario Rabbids so 2017 should be good.

For boring technical reasons I don't yet have the new figures up where I can make visuals from them, but: that 2.74 million figure is pretty great. When we heard reports of 2 million and then learned it was for the entire month of March, that seemed pretty low compared to the last few launches. But since they surpassed those expectations by about 40%, it compares very favorably with them. Only 3DS is clearly ahead in units-per-day.

Machine: First quarterly shipment (Days from launch)

NSW: 2.74 (28)
3DS: 3.61 (33)
Wii: 3.19 (42)
WiU: 3.06 (43)

Since we're nearly a month past that Switch number and things are still easily selling out, we can be certain it's well over 3 million by this point and probably won't be long until it hits 4. Which is kind of a big deal since Wii U still failed to hit 4 million after its 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.

If they were to ship and sell "only" 10 million through this year, it would still be well behind where Wii and 3DS were at a similar point.

pixelation

I'm conflicted i want to be happy for them, but i can't because this basically means that the follow up to the switch will also be lackluster (techwise speaking) i mean people gobble them up regardless so why bother?, being a graphics whore... well that's no good for me.

oti

Banned
I'm conflicted i want to be happy for them, but i can't because this basically means that the follow up to the switch will also be lackluster (techwise speaking) i mean people gobble them up regardless so why bother?, being a graphics whore... well that's no good for me.

Being a graphics whore the last Nintendo console you were interested in was the GameCube.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The switch hybrid is as strong as it can possibly be on the markwt, the follow up will most likely be the strongest it can be when it comes out

KingV

Zelda Switch is doing absolutely unbelievable business. Surely a worldwide 1:1 ratio is unprecedented?

Also, I reckon it's likely that Sun and Moon has X and Y overturned within 6 months.

In retrospect I wouldn't be surprised if Mario 64 had similar attach rates in the N64 launch window, that game also had heavy buzz as a launch title.

Nintendo paid a lot of money for Monster Hunter. Now, without any competition they won't do that again.

Capcom likes free money and hates it when there is no free money anymore...
This is modern day negotiation.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

They were in a much better position in 2011 than they are right now. After bomb after bomb, missing sales targets constantly and mishandling almost every single ip they own, they really aren't in a position to be taking risks or investing in multiple major titles anymore.

Hell I think they only have 3 major titles planned for this fiscal year?

Nintendo's release schedule is pretty crowded for 2017. I can see Retro's game getting bumped to 2018, especially if they have another big title ready for 2017 (Pokemon or Smash). Even if they don't have another big game, they may not have a big open window for another major 2017 title.

Crowded? I don't see that in the slightest. Until they announce a lot more, it's not even up to par with their last 3 home consoles. At least numerically; quality is subjective, but obviously Zelda is the best possible start.

Look, here are the games from the 1st 12 months of their last 3 home consoles:

Gamecube:
Luigi's Mansion
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Pikmin
Super Smash Bros. Melee
NBA Courtside 2002
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Super Mario Sunshine
Animal Crossing
Mario Party 4
Metroid Prime
Star Fox Adventures

Wii:
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Wii Play
Super Paper Mario
Mario Party 8
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Pokémon Battle Revolution
Mario Strikers Charged
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Battalion Wars 2
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Super Mario Galaxy
Link's Crossbow Training

Wii U:
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Wii Party U
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Super Mario 3D World
NES Remix

Nintendo has, what, 10 Switch games released and announced combined at this point? And don't say 3rd parties, because the Gamecube and Wii had plenty of 3rd party support. Right now, the Switch is tracking to maybe equal the Wii U until more games are announced for release within its 1st year.

kevin1025

Banned
Crowded? I don't see that in the slightest. Until they announce a lot more, it's not even up to par with their last 3 home consoles. At least numerically; quality is subjective, but obviously Zelda is the best possible start.

Look, here are the games from the 1st 12 months of their last 3 home consoles:

*list*

Nintendo has, what, 10 Switch games released and announced combined at this point? And don't say 3rd parties, because the Gamecube and Wii had plenty of 3rd party support. Right now, the Switch is tracking to maybe equal the Wii U until more games are announced for release within its 1st year.

I guess it comes down to spacing out their announcements. We're only ~45 days or so away from what could be a large swath of announcements, or at least filling in the blanks on the release calendar. Plus there's online, Virtual Console, game partnerships like that potential Rabbids game, etc. The lists you mentioned are substantial, and may not be beaten by number, but I wouldn't be concerned too much for the time being. Still plenty of months left in the launch year!

I honestly don't get why anybody thought nintendo was doomed, there home consoles business was doomed with 3 out 4 being failures for nintendo. i predicted that wiiu would only do 13-14 million 4 years ago, and nobody wanted a nintendo home console because microsft and especially sony have that market on lock. as a handheld which is what the switch mainly is, with some thought put in to connect to a tv, it should do around 30- 40 million easy. we have yet to see a nintendo handhled fail, why should we expect the switch to fail.

Rösti;234930223 said:
I'm unsure, but their site for E3 2016 (e3.nintendo.com) went live May 5, 2016.
I'm eagerly awaiting for next week. Come on Mega64 video!

Do you have the time for the investors meeting?

I guess it comes down to spacing out their announcements. We're only ~45 days or so away from what could be a large swath of announcements, or at least filling in the blanks on the release calendar. Plus there's online, Virtual Console, game partnerships like that potential Rabbids game, etc. The lists you mentioned are substantial, and may not be beaten by number, but I wouldn't be concerned too much for the time being. Still plenty of months left in the launch year!

Of course, agreed. I expect plenty more. Er, make that "demand", heh. I'm just disagreeing that there's no room for Retro. There's lots of room!

Celine

For boring technical reasons I don't yet have the new figures up where I can make visuals from them, but: that 2.74 million figure is pretty great. When we heard reports of 2 million and then learned it was for the entire month of March, that seemed pretty low compared to the last few launches. But since they surpassed those expectations by about 40%, it compares very favorably with them. Only 3DS is clearly ahead in units-per-day.

Machine: First quarterly shipment (Days from launch)

NSW: 2.74 (28)
3DS: 3.61 (33)
Wii: 3.19 (42)
WiU: 3.06 (43)

Since we're nearly a month past that Switch number and things are still easily selling out, we can be certain it's well over 3 million by this point and probably won't be long until it hits 4. Which is kind of a big deal since Wii U still failed to hit 4 million after its 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.

If they were to ship and sell "only" 10 million through this year, it would still be well behind where Wii and 3DS were at a similar point.
The infamous WiiU fourth quarter when the console actually sold negative numbers in Europe (Nintendo bought back the stocks).

spekkeh

Banned
I honestly don't get why anybody thought nintendo was doomed, there home consoles business was doomed with 3 out 4 being failures for nintendo. i predicted that wiiu would only do 13-14 million 4 years ago, and nobody wanted a nintendo home console because microsft and especially sony have that market on lock. as a handheld which is what the switch mainly is, with some thought put in to connect to a tv, it should do around 30- 40 million easy. we have yet to see a nintendo handhled fail, why should we expect the switch to fail.
Uh huh

Nintendo released the following home consoles: NES, SNES, N64, NGC, WII, WIU

Three out of four are failures. So four and a half of these are failures. I'm sure we can all agree that WII wasn't a failure, so you are arguing every single other one including NES and SNES were failures. Please tell me more oh wise games analyst.

You think Capcom is going to skip the only viable portable system in Japan on a system built off portable multiplayer in Japan?
It sure doesn't seem like they're trying to build up the home of their biggest franchise.
Though Capcom would be pretty crazy to skip out on it now...but this is Capcom we're talking about
Nintendo paid a lot of money for Monster Hunter. Now, without any competition they won't do that again.

Capcom likes free money and hates it when there is no free money anymore...
This is modern day negotiation.
Maybe. It's probably likely that they don't need MH anymore thanks to having mainline console games like Zelda next to mainline handheld games like pokemon, but it should would be better with it than without. I also don't think Nintendo went into this generation without thinking they didn't need Capcom help like last gen when it was a pretty major factor for 3DS's success and Switch's success wasn't as likely as it seems now.
How are there 20k more copies of Zelda than systems?

Whaa? =/
They said they believe it's due to people buying multiple copies thanks to the LE. Additionally people buying it when the system is sold out is another option.

kevin1025

Banned
Of course, agreed. I expect plenty more. Er, make that "demand", heh. I'm just disagreeing that there's no room for Retro. There's lots of room!

Haha, true, I'd love for there to be more games! But then comes the concern that they threw up most of their stuff and 2018 will be somewhat quiet.

I wanted to see some mobile numbers =/

Super Mario Run (iOS and Android): >150 Million downloads.
Fire Emblem Heroes (iOS and Android): >15 million downloads (Majority revenue)

¥11.8 billion from Japan and ¥9.3 billion from U.S. for smartphone games & related.

TOTAL Smart Device, IP related income: ¥24.25 billion or $218 million for the 12 months ended FY3/2017

Pokémon Go earnings: $182.2 million for the 12 months ended FY3/2017

You get to include the second November in a lot of those first year release schedules which is when a second round of big games typically comes. I would expect one more game for Q4 this year and then Nintendo will have a big game for Q1 next year that they pushed out of Q4 2017 whether it is Super Smash, Mario Maker, Pokemon Stars, Retro's Game, or Animal Crossing along with another smaller scale title. It'll round out the first year line up quite a bit in comparison to Wii and Gamecube. I think the Wii U's looks weak even against the Switch's line up as is.

Rösti;234914791 said:
Nintendo's financial results briefings are usually held 10:00 AM JST the day after the earnings release. April 28, 2017, 10:00 AM JST converts to the below.

t1493341200z4.png

I think they have had it 09:00 AM JST some time. But around these times anyway.

Kimishima be walkin' in like

itpWW29.gif

Top Bottom