• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
abstract alien said:
I have no idea why, but that pic makes me instantly think about Mario 3 in 3D :lol

It would look pretty awesome with its layered "stage play" style theme, which I learned about in the shocking secrets thread.

I still say the best would be a Paper Mario in 3D, where the audience pops out at you, and even throws items at you when you do badly.

HAL_Laboratory said:
I said that on the previous page, kinda.

And I believe I actually suggested the "push-in" method many pages before that! Of course, it doesn't matter in the end, because I'm betting that we'll both be wrong! :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ShockingAlberto said:
how does this close
Well, you take your hand, and apply this wonderful thing called "force" to the back of the the "screen"

The screen is also indented and the sticks recessed so that they don't go into the screen

Fourth Storm said:
And I believe I actually suggested the "push-in" method many pages before that! Of course, it doesn't matter in the end, because I'm betting that we'll both be wrong! :lol
Yeah, I have a feeling we'll all be dead wrong when they finally show the thing.

AceBandage said:
I doubt it, since Nintendo CLEARLY said that you didn't need glasses.
:p

Of course not, you can't wear 3d glasses and sunglasses at the same time. For the 3DSWiimote-activated Projection 3D Krossfire™, sunglasses are mandatory to protect your eyes from the radiation. As hydrogen atoms are actively drained from the immediately surrounding atmosphere for the 3DS's fusion process, it is recommended that playtime does not exceed 3 minutes, then contained for a minimum 14 days before continued usage. And yes, due to technology constraints, eye-crossing while maintaining absolute stillness is necessary to achieve the 3D effect.

optimiss said:
updated my mockup a bit to include the 3d control pad and the leg humping curve of the system. :D

pqc8n.png

This is so good that if the real 3DS doesn't end up looking something like this i'll disappointed!

optimiss said:
Puresex.png

As much as I'd kill for that, I doubt the screens will be as large as you've designed. The one thing that has me concerned regarding the Nikkei information is that they claim the screens will be under 4". I don't even own a DSiXL yet, but after seeing the thing, I will be VERY disappoint if they revert to DSi size. We need a decent viewing area to truly appreciate the 3d effect after all.

Fourth Storm said:
I'm also a fan of the click triggers - not too happy of them being left out of the CC Pro. Sad to see Nintendo dump an innovation with such untapped potential.

My first inclination is that Nintendo will do without any type of analog stick and retain their patented dpad. See my previous posts for why I think this is the most likely option.

However, I can see an analog stick being useful for 360 degree motion, and thus my second guess would be that there would be a single analog stick without a dpad. Admittedly, my setup would take a bit getting used to for a game like Mario, but in theory it should work just as well. You only really need 3 directions in 2d Mario titles. I would think with the proper manufacturing that it would work exactly like a mini digital arcade stick or a NG PC stick, with additional functionality if pushed passed that limit.

I don't think there's any chance in hell of Nintendo having two control options on the left hand of this device. Of course, they may just have one normal analog stick and if people don't think the original DS titles function as well, they can go buy a DSi/DSiXL, which will surely still be on sale and at a cheaper price. After all, the Wii CC doesn't have 6 face buttons like the N64, does it?
True, I do believe it could work out nicely, just not in the sense that we usually think of a Dpad. I'm all for change though, so as long as it functioned properly and things were designed with it in mind, it would be nice. Also, I was completely ignorant to the Digiclick being left out of the pro :^(

AceBandage said:
I still say the best would be a Paper Mario in 3D, where the audience pops out at you, and even throws items at you when you do badly.
It would indeed be pretty awesome, as would a viewtiful joe or wario land: shake it. There really are a ton of games that I would love to see like this. Hell, Jet Set Radio should make a comeback on this damn thing. Of course, that is nothing more than a fantastical wish unfortunately lol

eggandI

Banned
-WindYoshi- said:
This is so good that if the real 3DS doesn't end up looking something like this i'll disappointed!

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Add a D-pad, another analog stick and it's perfection.

GamerZero

3DS will most likely use physical media for it's games but I'm wodering what are the chances PSP2 will also use some type of physical media along with DD for it's games?

GDGF

Soothsayer
rainer516 said:
Maybe by 3d, the press release just means that it is able to push powerful 3d graphics.

Because you need special glasses to see the powerful 3d graphics of the PS3 or 360, right? ;)

Somnid

GamerZero said:
3DS will most likely use physical media for it's games but I'm wodering what are the chances PSP2 will also use some type of physical media along with DD for it's games?

Have you seen PSP Go sales? Consumers are scared shitless of DD because they still have this concept that data can be owned like property. DD-only won't happen until another generation of people grow up who haven't had that idea drilled into their head.

optimiss

Dash Kappei said:
I dunno, why would you want it non-flat?
I don't think that'll ever happen fortunately.

I was thinking it would be more ergonomic to hold if it curved slightly. More importantly though, I think it looks bad ass!

I'm glad everyone likes it but I don't think Nintendo will go that way either. It doesn't have the childlike Nintendo charm.

vas_a_morir said:
Gaf is going down for a damn week when we see this thing.
Yeah, pretty much. What makes it even more terrible is the fact that we will be seeing this at E3, a convention that shuts down gaf regardless of how great the show is. This being shown along with Zelda is going to be completely crushing, and there is nothing we can do about it :lol

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
abstract alien said:
Yeah, pretty much. What makes it even more terrible is the fact that we will be seeing this at E3, a convention that shuts down gaf regardless of how great the show is. This being shown along with Zelda is going to be completely crushing, and there is nothing we can do about it :lol

A new console? Oh its going to be one hell of a ride come e3.

GCX

Nintendo's E3 show has so much potential. 3DS, Vitality Sensor, Zelda Wii, Pokemon 5 (3DS?), Golden Sun (3DS?), The Last Story, etc.

Fun times ahead.

Deku

Banned
GCX said:
Nintendo's E3 show has so much potential. 3DS, Vitality Sensor, Zelda Wii, Pokemon 5 (3DS?), Golden Sun (3DS?), The Last Story, etc.

Fun times ahead.

there's Cammie and notmyproblemreggie

GCX

Deku said:
there's Cammie and notmyproblemreggie
I hope Cammie has a 20 min monologue about her kids or something and then Iwata shouts "SHUT UP WOMAN!" and shows all the cool stuff.

Yep, that's how it's gonna happen.

AniHawk

GCX said:
I hope Cammie has a 20 min monologue about her kids or something and then Iwata shouts "SHUT UP WOMAN!" and shows all the cool stuff.

Yep, that's how it's gonna happen.

Maybe he'll reach in his pocket for some piece of cardboard someone shoved in there 20 minutes before the show started and make up some shit in a desperate attempt to stall for time again.

"I guess what this could be used for is like, for your arm? So it can tell if you're flexing a muscle I guess? We probably might make a game around it."

squinters

astigmatic
As much as all these features sound great (and believe me, they do), I really just wish that Nintendo will revert back to the original DS with the 3DS. I don't mean style or design, but the build quality. The original DS was built like a tank with nice responsive clicky buttons. The DS Lite, while looking nice, feels a whole lot flimsier, and with its hinge cracks and spongy buttons, it felt kinda cheaply made.

I hope Nintendo can find the perfect balance between style and build for the 3DS.

Instro

GCX said:

Fun times ahead.

God I hope so, it would be such a missed opportunity not to have Golden Sun at launch or near the launch window for the 3DS.

Instro said:
God I hope so, it would be such a missed opportunity not to have Golden Sun at launch or near the launch window for the 3DS.
Especially with the perspective and panning style the camera uses in battle. Now you have me hyped for something that isn't going to happen. Thanks :^(

GDGF

Soothsayer
bridegur said:
3D Wave Race, please. 3D waves and weather would be amazing.

Tsunami sized two screens tall 3D waves would be awesome. We've probably got a better chance seeing the missing IPs in Nintendo's stable on the 3DS. Pilotwings would be a killer app. So would Starfox and 1080 even. I hope that's the reason why we haven't seen them on the Wii.

celebi23

squinters said:
As much as all these features sound great (and believe me, they do), I really just wish that Nintendo will revert back to the original DS with the 3DS. I don't mean style or design, but the build quality. The original DS was built like a tank with nice responsive clicky buttons. The DS Lite, while looking nice, feels a whole lot flimsier, and with its hinge cracks and spongy buttons, it felt kinda cheaply made.

I hope Nintendo can find the perfect balance between style and build for the 3DS.

Hence why my launch DSPhat is still chugging along :D

squinters

astigmatic
celebi23 said:
Hence why my launch DSPhat is still chugging along :D
Here here! If it wasn't for the fact that I've totally killed my Phat's battery by overuse and it can't hold a charge anymore, I'd be using it over my Lite anytime. The stupid hinge crack problem royally screwed my Lite, and now its screens flop around like a dead fish.

Cep

Banned
bafflewaffle said:
you know, all I want for a new portable is an iphone with buttons. all this 3d gimmicks can go suck an egg, I do not care

Better games would also be nice.

Better graphics as well. Also not having to be Apple's bitch would be super (the day they have a pay-as you go plan is the day I get myself an iphone).

mutsu

Cep said:

Better graphics as well. Also not having to be Apple's bitch would be super (the day they have a pay-as you go plan is the day I get myself an iphone).

I thought they've just introduced that in the US? Contract-free but tied to AT&T. I guess if you are not going with AT&T then you are out of luck.

Import is always an option though.

Anyway that's off topic. I am so super excited about this and what Nintendo has in store for us come E3. For them to actually decide to release a handheld with 3D screen means that they must have some good software supporting it, otherwise it's just suicide if it's just some gimmick.

Cep said:

Better graphics as well. Also not having to be Apple's b---- would be super (the day they have a pay-as you go plan is the day I get myself an iphone).
ok instead psp with touch and tilt and no load times :)

just on form, not counting games

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm actually wondering if the majority of 3DS software we see at E3 is going to be proof of concept stuff or (and lets hope) near finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom