• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Celine said:
There is already a similar function in the Hitachi's Woo ooh1 phone ( or whatever it is called ).

That's good! At least we know it's feasible now. And like I said a few pages ago, it's going to take a little bit more than nostalgia to sell black & white games (Wonderswan, Gameboy, Neo Geo Pocket) these days. I figure the addition of a Super Gameboy styled coloration option and 3D option should do it though.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
optimiss said:
updated my mockup a bit to include the 3d control pad and the leg humping curve of the system. :D

pqc8n.png

Probably the best mockup in terms of screen placement and layout.
But it needs to be much thinner, currently looks a bit like a sandwich when viewed sideways.

I can imagine it looking like this when closed.

3d-nintendo-ds2-front.jpg

Mojojo

Opus Angelorum said:
I'm not sure about the mock-ups that have been posted, for some reason I'm expecting Nintendo to completely redesign the chassis as the technology involved requires such. The main design issue I see is keeping the width to a minimum, especially with the analogue stick and reinforced hinge.

Beside the clamshell design, I could see Nintendo going the mini-tablet route.. Seems to be all the rage ... The two screens(both with touch technology) so close , they seem like one big screen..
And it would allow Nintendo to sell over-priced 3DS covers for 25$

Jme

HAL_Laboratory said:
IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/ryan_cooper_79/3ds_mockup3_ryancooper2010.jpg[/IMG]

Looks awesome but what's the thing on the right side of the top screen?
Also it looks like the 2D/3D button would get hit by the analog/dpad when closed.

And as a separate issue, everyones mockups seem to have 2 cameras but I'm completely off of the boat of "head/eye tracking" so I don't think 2 cameras will be the case.

samusx

Banned
3ds_mockup3_ryancooper2010.jpg

OK I took the 3DS Originally Posted by HAL_Laboratory above and made my own edit.

I made the system have straight corners.
I put the digital pad as the main control input for movement.
I changed the screen borders to the obvious black.
I the system changed it to a more black colour.

I didnt' want to make it too black or you wouldn't be able to see any of the details at all.

Myedit.jpg

charlequin said:
Seconded.

+1

The only thing that could make the Wii HD relevant is the inclusion of 3D, and that's not going to happen.

The genius of the 3DS is that you are getting the hardware, software and can easily access an existing ecosystem right from the initial purchase. There is no expensive upgrade path, no requirement for extra peripherals and most importantly (for the consumer) no need for technical competency.

If the actual implementation of the 3DS is as well imagined as the original DS, I think the 3DS could be Nintendo's most successful hand-held to date.

Log4Girlz

Opus Angelorum said:
+1

The only thing that could make the Wii HD relevant is the inclusion of 3D, and that's not going to happen.

The genius of the 3DS is that you are getting the hardware, software and can easily access an existing ecosystem right from the initial purchase. There is no expensive upgrade path, no requirement for extra peripherals and most importantly (for the consumer) no need for technical competency.

If the actual implementation of the 3DS is as well imagined as the original DS, I think the 3DS could be Nintendo's most successful hand-held to date.

Well, hey remember how certain ps3 games could use the PSP as a screen? Imagine a Wii HD game being programmed with a 3D mode using the 3DS as a screen.

Hobbun

DeaconKnowledge said:
Frankly, I hope this kills the Wii HD speculation once and for all. Seriously, wouldn't Wii HD seem underwhelming as hell now that this has been announced?

Agreed. I was never one who wanted Wii HD, anyways. Not when Nintendo made it clear to me they will only transfer downloadable content from system to system is if it breaks, not if you buy a new one (aka Wii HD).

zigg

Wanted to throw out some images of a
really great must-buy $2
DSi game running how I visualize it would on the 3DS with its "negligible" screen gap.

The image below has the screens at 320×240; I imagine the actual screens under the parallax barrier would actually be 640×480, pixel-doubling for nice, sharp back-compat, and horizontally interlacing under the parallax barrier for a 3DS rendering res of either 320×240 with square pixels or 320x480 with wide.

(there'd probably also be a BlurryVision scaling option a la GBA for people who don't care about gaps or IQ)

aura-dsi.jpg
vs
aura-3ds.jpg

Boerseun

Banned
samusx said:
OK I took the 3DS Originally Posted by HAL_Laboratory above and made my own edit.

I made the system have straight corners.
I put the digital pad as the main control input for movement.
I changed the screen borders to the obvious black.
I the system changed it to a more black colour.

I didnt' want to make it too black or you wouldn't be able to see any of the details at all.

Myedit.jpg

Your thumb is guaranteed to hitch on the stick while using the dpad.

Nimyh

Banned
handofg0d said:
And as a separate issue, everyones mockups seem to have 2 cameras but I'm completely off of the boat of "head/eye tracking" so I don't think 2 cameras will be the case.
2 cameras are a given considering the DSi backwards compatibility.

zigg

Nimyh said:
2 cameras are a given considering the DSi backwards compatibility.

Yeah, and the hinge camera in particular is a must, as it's effectively required to be there for a few games already. In my mockup above I figure you can pinhole its actual lens through the white area.

BikoBiko

All right, I finally learned how to look at those magic eye pictures and they're amazing! If the games on the 3DS will have the same depth but with full color it'll look pretty damn amazing :D

Lijik

zigg said:
Wanted to throw out some images of a
really great must-buy $2
DSi game running how I visualize it would on the 3DS with its "negligible" screen gap.

The image below has the screens at 320×240; I imagine the actual screens under the parallax barrier would actually be 640×480, pixel-doubling for nice, sharp back-compat, and horizontally interlacing under the parallax barrier for a 3DS rendering res of either 320×240 with square pixels or 320x480 with wide.

(there'd probably also be a BlurryVision scaling option a la GBA for people who don't care about gaps or IQ)

http://www.zigg.com/tmp/aura-dsi.jpg[/mg] vs [img]http://www.zigg.com/tmp/aura-3ds.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]

I know this isn't the point of the post but Aura Aura Climber is one of my all time favorite DSiWare games (Right behind Boxlife and Aquaria), and I'd buy a 3d sequel.

zigg

Lijik said:
I know this isn't the point of the post but Aura Aura Climber is one of my all time favorite DSiWare games (Right behind Boxlife and Aquaria), and I'd buy a 3d sequel.

Actually, that was the whole point of the post. Keep it a secret.
:D

Kawaii

HAL_Laboratory said:
Mockup update:

Added 2 small speakers at bottom of unit to produce 3D sound (optional feature that would require programming, like rumble), changed color, adjusted overall layout, added new hinge and strap. :D

3ds_mockup3_ryancooper2010.jpg
What is the thing on the right of the upper screen?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
he covered that earlier i think. it's an unannounced feature, sort of a vitality sensor to press your finger against and take readings.

samusx

Banned
OK I did a redo of my edit.

I made the D-pad bigger.
I made two analog sticks.
I made the analog sticks a little bit smaller.

Myedit.jpg

Edit 1

3DSedit2.jpg

Edit 2

zigg

beelzebozo said:
he covered that earlier i think. it's an unannounced feature, sort of a vitality sensor to press your finger against and take readings.

Ah. Well, this thread isn't exactly the easiest one to keep up with.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of building that in, but I'm a bit more a minimalist than most mockup-makers. I want to see a 360° pad but only if it can effectively replace the d-pad, for example.

samusx said:
OK I did a redo of my edit.

I made the D-pad bigger.
I made two analog sticks.
I made the analog sticks a little bit smaller.

Lets see, the second one is awesome. I do have concern with the sizing of the buttons (they seem a bit small and the indicator lights. Anyway, I could see Nintendo using that hinge design.

If this was to have a vital sensor would it not be somewhere around where you always place your hand? like on gym exercise bikes the handles will monitor your heart because you hold them while you cycle, for a 3DS to do that it should be where your fingers lay underneath.

Lijik

handofg0d said:

I thought the whole point of adding in the two cameras into the mockups was so you could hypothetically take 3D pictures.

Jme

Lijik said:
I thought the whole point of adding in the two cameras into the mockups was so you could hypothetically take 3D pictures.

Oh, well if that's the case then... I retract my complaint :D

This parallax barrier technology only seems to provide alternating views and not anything to do with 3D.

Sharp's 3D LCD display announced in 2002 is an example of an application of their parallax barrier LCD technology. In the 3D LCD display, the barrier displays parallax images to the left and right eyes of the user to create a three-dimensional image. Taking the distance between the eyes as approximately 6 cm and the viewing distance as 30-40 cm, the barrier produces images with a separation of approximately 6 degrees.

The veil-view is interesting, In theory they could combine that with headtracking to keep the split between your eyes, even if your head was to one side of the screen.

:lol Man, I can't see anything with these cross-eyed images. Not a damned thing. I feel like I'm completely missing out on so much of this thread.

zigg

Graphics Horse said:
The veil-view is interesting, In theory they could combine that with headtracking to keep the split between your eyes, even if your head was to one side of the screen.

Ooh, I hadn't noticed that. Good find.

Hobbun

I’ve seen mock-ups with and without the D-pad. But all mock-ups have shown the 3DS with an analog stick, which was because it was announced one would be added.

But do we know if the d-pad is going away and the analog stick is replacing it? Or will they have both? I certainly hope that they don’t get rid of the d-pad completely.

megashock5 said:
:lol Man, I can't see anything with these cross-eyed images. Not a damned thing. I feel like I'm completely missing out on so much of this thread.

I can't either. Can anybody tell if there is some kind of trick we are missing? :lol

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Boerseun said:
Your thumb is guaranteed to hitch on the stick while using the dpad.
Agreed. A d-pad should almost always be able to maintain a lower profile to the surrounding surface than an analog stick. reaching your thumb over the analog to use the d-pad would be horrible. The only good way I've seen around this is to have the d-pad offset to the left if it's placed above the analog.
I know the PSP-1000/2000/3000 don't offset. I consider that poor design.

deleted

Very interesting mock-ups.

I just can´t see Nintendo including two analog sticks. It looks too cluttered. And if they include one, they will most likely ditch the d-pad. They could go the Gamecube route where they already wanted to do that, but were more or less forced to get it back in because of 3rd Partys. This time the D-Pad could go to the Touchscreen(s?), Ipod style.

Taker666

Hobbun said:
I’ve seen mock-ups with and without the D-pad. But all mock-ups have shown the 3DS with an analog stick, which was because it was announced one would be added.
But do we know if the d-pad is going away and the analog stick is replacing it? Or will they have both? I certainly hope that they don’t get rid of the d-pad completely.

No it wasn't..all that was announced was a "3D control stick". That could mean an analogue stick..it could mean some advanced form of stylus..or something else.

zigg

Taker666 said:
No it wasn't..all that was announced was a "3D control stick". That could mean an analogue stick..it could mean some advanced form of stylus..or something else.

It wasn't announced, it was in an unofficial Nikkei report (high degree of plausibility, but yeah), and earlier in this thread it was concluded that the best translation would indeed be a control similar to an analog stick.

The complete list of actual announcements is

- 3DS is the temporary name
- launch before March 2011
- it will play DS and DSi software
- it has a screen that has 3D effects without glasses
- additional details at E3

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Frankfurter said:
I can't either. Can anybody tell if there is some kind of trick we are missing? :lol
You can try parallel viewing if traditional cross eyed doesn't work, smaller image are usually easier also. Either way you have to lose focus until you get double vision so you will see 4 pictures total then you have to try and defocus/focus such that the middle two images overlap. Its interesting that the 3D seems to snap into place, like having the correct overlapping signals at each eye is uniquely recognized by the brain. Thanks to this thread I have also found it is also pretty easy to create your own stereo pictures using a a steady hand and a regular camera.

Mashing

Chittagong said:
- Switch places of D-Pad and analog, place second analog under button cluster symmetrically

That's a bad idea because the bottom joint of your thumb would brush up against the analog stick when you are using the d-pad which would be horrible.

m.i.s.

Banned
There's something that bothers me about dual analog, and which I think the PSP experience had apparently demonstrated. This is that if you're going to recreate a full-console experience by virtue of full 3D dual analog control why not just play such game on a TV console to begin with?

Offtopic, but one of the PSP's main failings is that Sony do not have a pre-3D gaming heritage or IP to call upon whereas Nintendo most certainly do and which Nintendo have leveraged in the handheld sector to their benefit.

If I'm reading Nintendo right they'll have just one directional controller: either a D-pad or a low profile "joystick" controller.

Hobbun

Taker666 said:

Well, that is what I was referring to. I didn’t know if it was announced or not officially. But I remember reading several posts earlier on about what you indicated “a 3-D control stick.”

But my point still stands in I hope they don't get rid of the d-pad.

ShinNL

M.I.S. said:
There's something that bothers me about dual analog, and which I think the PSP experience had apparently demonstrated. This is that if you're going to recreate a full-console experience by virtue of full 3D dual analog control why not just play such game on a TV console to begin with?

Offtopic, but one of the PSP's main failings is that Sony do not have a pre-3D gaming heritage or IP to call upon whereas Nintendo most certainly do and which Nintendo have leveraged in the handheld sector to their benefit.

If I'm reading Nintendo right they'll have just one directional controller: either a D-pad or a low profile "joystick" controller.
You get it. That's a good analogy. The reason why touch screen worked was because it's a handheld thing, something that couldn't be replicated for the console. There's no real point in adding dual analog except for copying control schemes of console games, which is exactly what Nintendo is trying to avoid. They want to bring new ways to experience games, not existing ways.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mashing said:
That's a bad idea because the bottom joint of your thumb would brush up against the analog stick when you are using the d-pad which would be horrible.
Just having them vertically parallel seems like it would be awkward to me, because whichever one is on top would be juuuuust uncomfortably out of reach, methinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom