• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay

Chittagong said:
Awesome. "Super" generations are always the best, by far. They always take the good idea of the base generation and make it just much better.

I wonder what happens with Xbox and PS though, since I considered the current generation their "super" generation.

You consider the PS3 the super generation of the Sony family? That's absurd.

worst case they could always have a "powered" stylus by having it charge inside the slot you store it...or something like that.

I'm just hoping that whatever they do they will have an alternative at release. I've been using a longer hori stylus for years now and was actually considering picking up one of those DS XL stylus if they were sold alone. It helps both make it more comfortable and keep my hand away from the screen.

Vinci

Danish
Guys, I highly doubt 3D is all there is to this thing. Nintendo's not going to play it so casually. They need to continue innovating in each space in order to keep competition from usurping their position. This might be a bit less tense due to Sony continuously shooting itself in the foot, but it's still a philosophy that has served Nintendo well.

samusx

Banned
OK so I have a new design of my own.

I want to say first that the other edits I did before were not my creation. I took HAL's image and just edited it to my liking. This new image in my own creation. Its not great but whatever.

Here are the 3 versions. All very similar and based on the DSi.

- Larger screens
- Dual analog sticks
- Dual cameras

My3DSi.jpg

Basic layout with analog and digital pad lined up.

My3DSi-1.jpg

Moved the analog sticks in a little to get them out of the way.

My3DSichange.jpg

I switched the D-pad and analog sticks because some people asked for that.
I think this looks stupid and impossible to use the D-pad, but at least it give people a visual.

P.S. Yes I know there is a graphical glitch on the select button.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Majine said:
If its going to look like the original DS, then HECK YES I DO CARE. :mad:

And it won't sell, especially in this day and age with iPads and multitouch phones around.

samusx said:
OK so I have a new design of my own.

Here are the 3 versions. All very similar and based on the DSi.

- Larger screens
- Dual analog sticks
- Dual cameras

Get rid of the sticks and led's. I do not know why you need 2 cameras looking at you!

Vinci

Danish
curls said:
And it won't sell, especially in this day and age with iPads and multitouch phones around.

If I had a dollar for every time someone said a Nintendo product wouldn't sell... I could probably have afforded a great deal of stock in the company before now.

Haunted

Stop using that Wind Waker screen in those mockups ffs! The drool is messing up my desk.

edit: I do hope someone is at least saving all these mockups, so when the actual unveil comes around we can compare who got the closest beforehand. :D

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Vinci said:
If I had a dollar for every time someone said a Nintendo product wouldn't sell... I could probably have afforded a great deal of stock in the company before now.

The DS only took off when the lite revision came out, good industrial design does matter.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
curls said:
No sure if serious? The only reason they'd make it like the DS is because that will make it a success.

I really do hope it's going to have a slide screen tho

Chittagong

Gold Member
jay said:
You consider the PS3 the super generation of the Sony family? That's absurd.

How's that? It basically took everything good from PS2 and refined it

- Better 3D graphics and physics
- Better tower shape design
- Higher definition movies
- Refined DualShock controller with tilt sensor
- Better, integrated PSN functionality

I can accept that PS2 is a "super PS1", but in my mind PS3 is much closer conceptually to PS2 - given the movie functionality and PSN on both platforms.

I'm trying to think really hard what the "paradigm shifting innovation" from PS2 to PS3 would be, an the only thing is the accelerometer in the controller.

wsippel

Banned
Especially the first two patents make it seem DS/ 3DS related. So... a handheld with a 3D display and holographic storage cards? Sounds scifi.

GCX

curls said:
The DS only took off when the lite revision came out, good industrial design does matter.
The good old DS Phat broke pretty much every sales record in Christmas 2005 in Japan. It still holds the record of selling most units in one week (over 400k).

curls

Teetris said:
No sure if serious? The only reason they'd make it like the DS is because that will make it a success.

I really do hope it's going to have a slide screen tho

Good product design matters, Apple is a competitor now anyway as they are gaming devices believe it or not.

Vinci

Danish
curls said:

I'm not saying it doesn't. What I'm saying is, it would be odd for Nintendo to bring out this machine looking altogether different from the DSi. The DS Phat was a quick design they threw together to take on Sony. This time, they're the early movers. I'm going to assume that they have a very clean and friendly core design but will fiddle with layout and some small details all the way up till launch.

EDIT: And Apple's not a competitor until they're competing with the same software. Currently, they aren't. Especially not at the price points handheld titles command.

DeaconKnowledge said:
These mockups are getting way too complex now.

have you ever seen mockups before? they're either overly stylish or impractical, but fun to see either way. If I could draw I'd try one.

there are still some things that are a bit odd considering the current DS. Like, a lot of these have he camera on the top of the upper screen, but you'd need it/them in the middle if you wanted to use them in book or regular "mode".

and analog sticks are another problem. people hate on the PSP nub but it's not like there are many ways to do a capable analog stick on a handheld and it is even more difficult if you have a clamshell design. I think the tapwave zodiac has the best portable analog solution but it still can't touch real analog sticks.

Christine

GCX said:
The goold old DS Phat broke pretty much every sales record in Christmas 2005 in Japan. It still holds record of selling most units in one week (over 400k).

Not to mention that NSMB came out at the same time as the lite revision... it's hard to tell which factor was more significant, though, as Nintendo almost immediately scuttled the Phat hardware.

samusx said:
I like this a lot, but I would exchange the positions of the d-pad and analog "stick" on the left side.

Also, I think it would be great if the analog "stick" was designed among the lines of the one featured in the Sega Saturn 3D control pad, but I think that is what you're going for anyway.
sega_saturn_32.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Linkzg said:
and analog sticks are another problem. people hate on the PSP nub but it's not like there are many ways to do a capable analog stick on a handheld and it is even more difficult if you have a clamshell design. I think the tapwave zodiac has the best portable analog solution but it still can't touch real analog sticks.

My design dealt with the analog stick (1) rather elegantly I thought. People brought up that it would capture dust, but only if you don't enclose the hole on the other side. That would keep dust out and allow the analog stick room to stand up.

Haunted

EmCeeGramr said:
So... Zelda 3DS. Top-down, or behind the back?
Both, to finally use those dual screens properly.

Vinci said:
My design dealt with the analog stick (1) rather elegantly I thought. People brought up that it would capture dust, but only if you don't enclose the hole on the other side. That would keep dust out and allow the analog stick room to stand up.
Sticking through a hole in the upper shell and sealing the top, right? I love it.

Might be hard to do seamlessly, though, since analogue stick tops aren't really flat.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Chittagong said:
I'm trying to think really hard what the "paradigm shifting innovation" from PS2 to PS3 would be, an the only thing is the accelerometer in the controller.

online, bluray doing what DVD on the PS2 didn't really?

Just the idea that there is a 'super' PS4 coming makes me wet.

HAL_Laboratory said:
Mockup update:

Added 2 small speakers at bottom of unit to produce 3D sound (optional feature that would require programming, like rumble), changed color, adjusted overall layout, added new hinge and strap. :D

3ds_mockup3_ryancooper2010.jpg
I like. On the next one can you put the cameras 2.5 inches apart for better stereo separation.

GCX

TwinIonEngines said:
Not to mention that NSMB came out at the same time as the lite revision... it's hard to tell which factor was more significant, though, as Nintendo almost immediately scuttled the Phat hardware.
DS took off with Nintendogs/Brain Training and then Lite/NSMB combo took it to the next level.

curls

Vinci said:
I'm not saying it doesn't. What I'm saying is, it would be odd for Nintendo to bring out this machine looking altogether different from the DSi. The DS Phat was a quick design they threw together to take on Sony. This time, they're the early movers. I'm going to assume that they have a very clean and friendly core design but will fiddle with layout and some small details all the way up till launch.

EDIT: And Apple's not a competitor until they're competing with the same software. Currently, they aren't. Especially not at the price points handheld titles command.

It needs to look a step up from the dsi but still remain familiar with the casual user.

Still needs to look kick ass

Vinci

Danish
curls said:
It needs to look a step up from the dsi but still remain familiar with the casual user.

Still needs to look kick ass

I agree with both of those. I imagine the 3D already achieves the 'look a step up from the dsi' though. And yes, I'm sure it will look nice and friendly.

Haunted

handofg0d said:
Here's another sloppy photoshop. The controller button spacing would need to be tightened but you get the general idea.

ws1wrl.png
Oh my, this will go down as one of the more infamous ones in the future, I can already see it. :lol

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
Sticking through a hole in the upper shell and sealing the top, right? I love it.

Might be hard to do seamlessly, though, since analogue stick tops aren't really flat.

I'm sure it's doable though. Sadly, I don't have the graphic design skills to make a proper looking mock-up using it beyond the simple illustration I did before. But, oh well. :lol

curls said:
Get rid of the sticks and led's. I do not know why you need 2 cameras looking at you!
As brain_stew brought up, it would be awesome for the 3ds to have the ability to take 3D pictures and videos. It would pretty much be the only thing on the mass market level that I know of with the ability, and probably the most popular if there is something else. He also pointed out that it would be cheap considering the 3D tech is already there, and the only other component needed would be an extra camera lense, which is cheap.

Vinci

Danish
abstract alien said:
As brain_stew brought up, it would be awesome for the 3ds to have the ability to take 3D pictures and videos. It would pretty much be the only thing on the mass market level that I know of with the ability, and probably the most popular if there is something else. He also pointed out that it would be cheap considering the 3D tech is already there, and the only other component needed would be an extra camera lense, which is cheap.

But didn't brain_stew want the cameras on the exterior of the 3DS? I thought he wanted it primarily for taking pictures of things around the user, not the user him or herself. So unless the two lenses on the interior are for somehow altering the angle of the 3D to keep the image 3D at all times while the user plays, I don't see the need for two.

abstract alien said:

The ability to take 3D pictures and videos would be a selling point for certain. As for whether or not the 3DS will have the ability to do that on a launch-date unit straight out of the box, I have my doubts.

curls said:

:lol :lol :lol

Not quite, the DS was a huge success way before the lite was released.

Nintendogs and Mario Kart played a huge role in the DS' early success.

Vinci said:
But didn't brain_stew want the cameras on the exterior of the 3DS? I thought he wanted it primarily for taking pictures of things around the user, not the user him or herself. So unless the two lenses on the interior are for somehow altering the angle of the 3D to keep the image 3D at all times while the user plays, I don't see the need for two.
Yeah, he spoke about them facing outward when he brought up the idea. It didn't seem as if Curls was around this thread when we were discussing that since he asked why there was a need for two cameras though, so I was just getting him up to speed. If the feature is included, hopefully they are facing outward.

My theories (too unartistic to draw it out)

I see it being very close to the DSi in terms of looks, only with the top screen lowered a bit, the bottom screen raised a bit (both closer to the hinging point, so when the system is open, the gap between screens is approx 1/4 inch). The resolution of each screen raised. Only the top screen is 3D, only the bottom screen is touch sensitive. Screens 3.5" diagonal, 16x9. Glass screens like the iphone, instead of plastic. Touch screen like the balance board kind of, with each of the four corners having pressure sensors, so by using the amount of pressure on each of the four points, the system calculates where you are pressing, either with a stylus or with your finger. The bonus of this over a capacitive or resistive touchscreen is that it can detect how hard you are pushing, not just where you are pushing. Both screens matte, to reduce glare.

Camera and microphone moved from the hinge area to above the top screen. Two cameras inside and out, at 1 megapixel resolution (4 cameras total, for 3d pictures)

Analog nub/stick/thing and d-pad on the left side, a/b/x/y buttons on the right. Power switch is a button on the left, start and select on the right, just like the DSi. Volume rocker also like the DSi. For the analog and d-pad, the analog will be closer to the hinge, the d-pad will be lowered a bit from where it is on the DSi. L and R buttons in the same spots, SD card slot and Game card slot in the same spots. Game cards are slightly different than DS/DSi cards, so the cards won't fit into a DS/DSi, but the DS/DSi cards will fit into the 3DS

i think it sounds pretty down to earth, except for maybe that touchscreen idea.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Vinci said:
Would there be a way to have the camera's on the lower screen portion? If you had a 360 hinge, you could rotate the two screens so they would be back to back - instant 3D camera (and hinge breakage out the ying yang). I don't know if it it is feasible given how the cameras are currently utilized.

Koren

wsippel said:
Especially the first two patents make it seem DS/ 3DS related. So... a handheld with a 3D display and holographic storage cards? Sound scifi.
Indeed... Game over for piracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom