• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Shiggy said:
ninty-ds-prototype.jpg

They could use this again :D

Ah the Prototype Phat,

The orange? strip running through the screens does link the screens together more, and the hinge configuration does allow the gap between the screens to be small.
The idea does have potential.
Get rid of the rest of it though.

I one of the best things about this is that next pokemon will have to be 3D its be good to see a new art style they got away with it on DS but the look of the game not really movie on at all

I just wonder how great the first update to the 3DS will be.

We know how Nintendo likes to refresh their products yearly. I might want to enjoy my new DSi (got into this handheld gen really late) while they work on a second 3DS with a bigger, brigther screen and longer battery life.........not to mention waiting on the release of second gen 3DS games.

At any rate, I just hope they continue to release badass 2D games and we won't end up seeing the death (or marginalization) of 2D gaming.

geeko

posted this on Kotaku site:

"If your going to take designs from people and post if on your site you should cite who came up with that design.

*Rep for NEOGAF 3DS designer club*"

doubt anyone will listen.

d+pad said:
If they don't do something new with whatever Animal Crossing sequel that's sure to be released for 3DS, I'm going to hurt someone. Bad.

City Folk was so shit, like... so shit. Good for newcomers, awful for long time fans that finished (lol, finished) Wild World.

Ultimatum

Banned
Doorman said:
That's a good design workaround for the dual-handed options, but I still just have an extremely hard time expecting that Nintendo would opt for dual analog for this system. Not when dual analog controllers are still being viewed as one of the reasons why the non-gaming public has been intimidated into staying away from the medium. The DS and Wii were designed to start moving away from what several of these mock-ups are doing. It'd be like finally pulling your leg out of a bear trap only to step on it again five minutes later.
You're right, and it just hit me, the purpose of a second analogue stick would only be for left handed gamers, as the functionality of it would usually be emulated on the touch screen (camera angles, aiming, etc.). I just can't see them having both an analogue stick, and a dpad on one side, while they have just the buttons on the other.

Although thinking about it, perhaps they could think of a way to combine analogue sticks and the dpad. Perhaps a retractable stencil like thing, allowing for only 8 directions of movement. Hmm...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I just wonder how great the first update to the 3DS will be.

We know how Nintendo likes to refresh their products yearly. I might want to enjoy my new DSi (got into this handheld gen really late) while they work on a second 3DS with a bigger, brigther screen and longer battery life.........not to mention waiting on the release of second gen 3DS games.
This actually got me thinking: Wouldn't it be possible for Nintendo to have 2 versions of the 3DS available at launch? One with the bigger screens (and subsequently bigger size in general) like the DSiXL and a default-sized one?

ILikeFeet said:
perfered Jet Grind Radio myself. god I want to play that!
IN 3D!
Definitely. Get to it, Sega!

gerg

Surgeon Rocket said:
This actually got me thinking: Wouldn't it be possible for Nintendo to have 2 versions of the 3DS available at launch? One with the bigger screens (and subsequently bigger size in general) like the DSiXL and a default-sized one?

Yes.

But it makes more sense to wait until lots of people have already bought one version, and then squeeze more money out of them by getting them to buy a second.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Not even going to bother posting on Kotaku. I don't even have a proper account there because I've been banned so many times. They'll ban you for stupid crap like calling them out on their major spelling/information errors, bringing up a different opinion about the topic at hand, or in my case, saying that, the parents of the kid that ran away from home from being grounded from his Xbox 360 and then falling off a tree and dying, should have kept an eye on him. Apparently that was "insensitive" and grounds for ban.

But it looks like the rest of GAF is taking care of posting over there.

Anyway, I still hold the idea that the 3DS will have dual-analogs. That way, they'd be ahead of the PSP all in one go, they'd be pleasing left-handed gamers, and they'd make it easier for games that need a good controllable camera.

Definitely. Get to it, Sega!

HOLY SHHHHHHHH

JET SET RADIO FUTURE ON THE 3DS with Stylus-graffiti controls and 3D visuals OMG eyegasm.

Vinci

Danish
Dogenzaka said:
Anyway, I still hold the idea that the 3DS will have dual-analogs. That way, they'd be ahead of the PSP all in one go, they'd be pleasing left-handed gamers, and they'd make it easier for games that need a good controllable camera.

But they would be taking a chance on alienating the audience they reached with the original DS by over-complicating the controls. And that audience is a helluva lot bigger.

gerg said:
Yes.

But it makes more sense to wait until lots of people have already bought one version, and then squeeze more money out of them by getting them to buy a second.

Well I got burned on both the original GBA and NDS, yet I just know I'll fall for the same trap again. :lol

If 3D pictures/movies are missing from the original and I buy it then the revision includes them I'm going to be so pissed.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So who else here believes the 3D part is here to undercut any effort from Sony or Microsoft to exploit 3D for their next generation of home consoles?

I'm still pondering it, but it kinda sounds like this 3DS could threaten part of the home console market (excluding Nintendo themselves obviously). After all, handheld consoles have never stopped improving, steadily getting sophisticated, to the point that they'll soon become more than good enough in terms of graphics at least.

Mik2121

I have a feeling the 3DS will be able to take 3D pics that then you will be able to watch on the next WiiHD on your 3D HDTV.

(dunno why am I even saying this..)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mik2121 said:
I have a feeling the 3DS will be able to take 3D pics that then you will be able to watch on the next WiiHD on your 3D HDTV.

(dunno why am I even saying this..)
Because we all know it's true.
Well, maybe not the first revision of the 3DS :p

optimiss

HAL_Laboratory said:
Mockup #3:

3DS_mockup3b_ryancooper2010.jpg

Nice. Very clean! I think the scale is off though cause either controls are very small or the system is just really big. Anyway, I quite like the black and white.

magash

Kilrogg said:
So who else here believes the 3D part is here to undercut any effort from Sony or Microsoft to exploit 3D for their next generation of home consoles?

I'm still pondering it, but it kinda sounds like this 3DS could threaten part of the home console market (excluding Nintendo themselves obviously). After all, handheld consoles have never stopped improving, steadily getting sophisticated, to the point that they'll soon become more than good enough in terms of graphics at least.

Nintendo was working on 3d even before the release of the ps1.Hell they had a 3d system before the western release of the ps1. Nintendo was always a believer of 3d in gaming.

Consoles are on the way out. Portables are currently capable of producing graphix that are better than xbox 1.Its only a matter of time

Dogenzaka

Banned
Vinci said:
But they would be taking a chance on alienating the audience they reached with the original DS by over-complicating the controls. And that audience is a helluva lot bigger.

I'd say the Wii Remote + Nunchuk is much more complicated.

geeko420 said:
posted this on Kotaku site:

"If your going to take designs from people and post if on your site you should cite who came up with that design.

*Rep for NEOGAF 3DS designer club*"

doubt anyone will listen.
Nice.

Someone should make a logo for the 3DS Designer Club! :D

Vinci said:
Being there doesn't mean they'd always need to be used. Just as in some current DS games every single button is ignored. If my grandma can ignore a d-pad, two shoulders, and 4 face buttons to play Zoo Keeper with a stylus only; ignoring a d-pad, two shoulders, 4 face buttons, and two analog sticks isn't much harder.

optimiss said:
Nice. Very clean! I think the scale is off though cause either controls are very small or the system is just really big. Anyway, I quite like the black and white.
Thanks, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't inspired by your design. The controls are a little small I guess... but I'm sure there will be plenty of other mockups.

Your turn! :lol

JoshuaJSlone said:
Being there doesn't mean they'd always need to be used. Just as in some current DS games every single button is ignored. If my grandma can ignore a d-pad, two shoulders, and 4 face buttons to play Zoo Keeper with a stylus only; ignoring a d-pad, two shoulders, 4 face buttons, and two analog sticks isn't much harder.

But it looks complicated... even if it isnt ....

I have one question for the hive mind...

iwata said that their plan is to expand the gaming industry... how do they expect to grow it only with a 3D screen???

upandaway

We know the screen's the XL size, right? If someone takes the XL for the mock-up instead of the normal DSi then, how much easier would it be to fit the two analogue sticks?

Instro

upandaway said:
We know the screen's the XL size, right? If someone takes the XL for the mock-up instead of the normal DSi then, how much easier would it be to fit the two analogue sticks?

I believe the rumor is that the screen is under 4 in, so thats smaller I think? Not sure what the screen size is for the XL.

upandaway said:
It is not the XL size.

It is probably not even DSi size.

Mik2121

upandaway said:
No, actually we know that it will be SMALLER than the XL, at least that's what Nikkei (or was it on the Asahi report?) said.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
upandaway said:
Huh? 4 inch isn't close to XL size?

The XL is... yeah, 4.2". That's almost as big then, what's the problem?
Nikkei said under 4''
Mik2121 said:
No, actually we know that it will be SMALLER than the XL, at least that's what Nikkei (or was it on the Asahi report?) said.
Technically we don't really know anything. Even if Nikkei has been super reliable in the past.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
These mock-ups are certainly nice...BUT...they're showing screens that are closer together (to coincide with that rumor) without taking into account the viewing angles or showing/explaining how the hinges would work to make the screens the same angle & closer together.

This was something my concept was trying to address. What good is having the screens closer together to make one combined image if they're at differing angles and there's no way to close them in on each other because no one has thought of how to make the hinge do so?

DrGAKMAN3DSclosescreens2.jpg

upandaway

Surgeon Rocket said:
Nikkei said under 4''
Aye, but if I'm gonna assume it's true, under 4" means somewhere like 3.8 or 3.9.

You guys are missing the point, what I asked was how big the analogue stick should be compared to the screen, to see if it's really possible to put one of them on each size without looking crowded.

Mojojo

Starchasing said:
But it looks complicated... even if it isnt ....

I have one question for the hive mind...

iwata said that their plan is to expand the gaming industry... how do they expect to grow it only with a 3D screen???

with the (non)games. As they just did for 6 years.

Medalion

Banned
These mockups with the screenshots from GC games makes me think people are more interested in a handheld with better graphics that are Gamecube or better than actual 3D per se

Somnid

DrGAKMAN said:
These mock-ups are certainly nice...BUT...they're showing screens that are closer together (to coincide with that rumor) without taking into account the viewing angles or showing/explaining how the hinges would work to make the screens the same angle & closer together.

This was something my concept was trying to address. What good is having the screens closer together to make one combined image if they're at differing angles and there's no way to close them in on each other because no one has thought of how to make the hinge do so?

While they could be closer they can't be too close. There's a minimum amount of plastic that has to encase the screen for durability issues otherwise the shell will likely be prone to cracking. They can't be exposed like your mock-up either or the glass can chip. Any concept Nintendo has should be able to survive a fall from about 4 feet. This is why unless they also have a flat OLED there will always be a gap.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Instro said:
I believe the rumor is that the screen is under 4 in, so thats smaller I think? Not sure what the screen size is for the XL.

Couldn't the rumourmonger be more specific.

Edit: nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom