• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

Starchasing said:
iwata said that their plan is to expand the gaming industry... how do they expect to grow it only with a 3D screen???
"Only" is the key word here. We're all assuming that there's going to be more to this thing than just the 3-D graphics. Whether it turns out to be a fancy feedback stylus or brain-wave emitters to addict you into buying more Nintendo products, we don't know yet.

I don't know why, but I laughed at the giant "OK" hand on the Wave Race mockup.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
magash said:
Nintendo was working on 3d even before the release of the ps1.Hell they had a 3d system before the western release of the ps1. Nintendo was always a believer of 3d in gaming.

Consoles are on the way out. Portables are currently capable of producing graphix that are better than xbox 1.Its only a matter of time

But working on various technologies is only par for the course when you're a manufacturer. I'm pretty sure Microsoft, Sony, maybe even SEGA worked on 3D at some point. The former might even be working on it as we speak. The point is that you don't decide to implement a given technology unless you think it's got potential and is of some strategic importance. To me, your first paragraph doesn't negate in any way what I suggested. I've never seen Nintendo as this big believer of 3D. If anything, you'd think they'd have dropped the whole thing by now, what with Virtual Boy flopping and visuals becoming a secondary aspect to them.

As for the second part, I'm afraid I don't agree with you once again... Well, you might have a point for Japan, but for the rest of the world, I'm not sure. As long as home consoles focus on things that can't be achieved on a handheld (such as doing body movements to play a game), and those things are appealing, handheld and home systems can coexist. Then again, maybe home systems won't be able to do anything that handheld systems can't 20 years from now, who knows.

Haunted

Medalion said:
These mockups with the screenshots from GC games makes me think people are more interested in a handheld with better graphics that are Gamecube or better than actual 3D per se
Don't be obtuse.

The rumour was that the thing has GC-level power, so it's only natural to quickly paste a GC screen on there when people are doing a mockup. We don't know how the 3D will look like, and it's basically impossible to recreate on a regular monitor anyway.

The mockups are about the hardware design, not the screens. You will notice that quite a few are using DS games or have the screen blank anyway.

That said, there have been tons of 3D images posted so far aside from the mockups.

ntropy

Medalion said:
These mockups with the screenshots from GC games makes me think people are more interested in a handheld with better graphics that are Gamecube or better than actual 3D per se
of course, ignoring all the cross-eyed images! i guess the mega man example was a gesture of irony! :lol

DrGAKMAN said:
These mock-ups are certainly nice...BUT...they're showing screens that are closer together (to coincide with that rumor) without taking into account the viewing angles or showing/explaining how the hinges would work to make the screens the same angle & closer together.

This was something my concept was trying to address. What good is having the screens closer together to make one combined image if they're at differing angles and there's no way to close them in on each other because no one has thought of how to make the hinge do so?

DrGAKMAN3DSclosescreens2.jpg

man, how is that thing ever going to work? :lol

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
bytesized said:

:lol :lol :lol

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Somnid said:
While they could be closer they can't be too close. There's a minimum amount of plastic that has to encase the screen for durability issues otherwise the shell will likely be prone to cracking. They can't be exposed like your mock-up either or the glass can chip. Any concept Nintendo has should be able to survive a fall from about 4 feet. This is why unless they also have a flat OLED there will always be a gap.

That picture is *very* simplified and more about the hinge & angle. If we wanna talk about the actual seperation between the screens I imagine there would be a flexible rubber seam between the 2 screens allowing them to be closer together (in fact, attached together by the seam). That way there's no need for a plastic border around the bottom of the top screen or the top of the bottom screen. The seam would also prevent dust/obstructions from getting between the screens. The seam & casing (which show a raised up bottom screen and a pushed in top screen) would also prevent the screens from actually coming in contact with each other when closed.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nintendo 3DS will most likely not be the final name, which means that this hand-held could possibly not look anything like the current DS. Nintendo might think it needs a different look just so it can separate itself from all the "upgrades" and finally not only be a true successor, but also look like one.

But I personally think this system will be another third pillar of Nintendo's. This is pretty out there/risky, and it might not be too smart to attach this risk to the smash-it name of the DS (similar to DS with Gameboy).

So the Virtual Boy failed, the DS succeeded.... let's see how this 3D hand-held does.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
Nintendo 3DS will most likely not be the finale name, which means that this hand-held could possibly not look anything like the current DS. I think it won't just so it can separate itself from all the "upgrades" and finally not only be a true successor, but also look like one.

I also predict this system to be another third pillar of Nintendo's. The Virtual Boy failed, the DS succeeded.... lets see how this 3D hand-held does.

I've thought of that, but by the wording of the PR, the mentioning of DS/DSi backwords compatibility and the temporary name of 3DS tells me that Nintendo plans to push this as their next-gen handheld and not some 3RD Pillar just-in-case side-bet.

Skiesofwonder said:
Nintendo 3DS will most likely not be the finale name, which means that this hand-held could possibly not look anything like the current DS. It needs a different look just so it can separate itself from all the "upgrades" and finally not only be a true successor, but also look like one.

On a side note, I personally think this system will be another third pillar of Nintendo's. This is pretty out there, and it might not be to smart to attach this risk to the smash-it name of the DS (similar to DS with Gameboy).

So the Virtual Boy failed, the DS succeeded.... let's see how this 3D hand-held does.

I agree wth the name... they need to differentiate.

But since its compatible with DSi games , dpad and buttons are assured and so the generañ disposition

HAL_Laboratory said:
Why do people think 3DS won't be the final name? There is no need for it to differentiate itself from the previous DS line. Never stopped Game Boy.

Have many GB were there?

so far there have been ds, ds lite , dsi , dsi xl .

They need to identify the 3DS as a totally new thing... and i could see Nintendo totally tossing the DS name

Starchasing said:
Have many GB were there?

They need to identify the 3DS as a totally new thing... and i could see Nintendo totally tossing the DS name

GB
GB Pocket
GB Color
GB Advance
GBA SP
GBA Micro

Off the top of my head.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Starchasing said:
Have many GB were there?

3D, better graphics & higher resolution screens! Like as if the visuals won't already differentiate it?

Starchasing said:
Have many GB were there?

They don't have to, no.

The Gameboy and Gameboy Advance were decidedly different generations, but they retained the name.

No one but gamers care whether a generational leap is obvious in the name.

xMk2x

Banned
bytesized said:
It looks to me like his design could have the bottom screen hinged at the bottom and it raises to the correct angle in order to line up with the top screen. Instead of the hinge obscuring the screens as it does in the current clamshell, his design would have the edges of each screen touching with the hinges hidden away in the clamshell itself.

Mojojo

Kilrogg said:
But working on various technologies is only par for the course when you're a manufacturer. I'm pretty sure Microsoft, Sony, maybe even SEGA worked on 3D at some point. The former might even be working on it as we speak. The point is that you don't decide to implement a given technology unless you think it's got potential and is of some strategic importance. To me, your first paragraph doesn't negate in any way what I suggested. I've never seen Nintendo as this big believer of 3D. If anything, you'd think they'd have dropped the whole thing by now, what with Virtual Boy flopping and visuals becoming a secondary aspect to them.

been posted several times , but it need to be reposted again to see the views of Iwata about 3D :
Iwata:
Years ago, Nintendo released a video game console called "Virtual Boy" (launched in 1995), when people were discussing "virtual reality," a buzz word of those days which have become nearly a dead word today. I understand that the company challenged to release this product, thinking that a 3D environment can deliver immersive and valuable video game experiences. As for the reason of its bad sales result, some people blame its graphical ability which could only display red during the days full-colored gameplay was common-sense. Or other people might say that for people surrounding the player he or she can hardly look favorably.

Personally, I am really excited to see more and more movies getting 3D functionality, and feel no hurdle in using 3D glasses for two hours in order to watch a movie. But when we consider the possibility of 3D video game for a household, we also have to consider if everyone needs eyeglasses in order to start playing, or how would the graphic and players look like to spectators without 3D glasses? If it is played by one person or without any family member on the spot, I think 3D technology will be suitable for a video game experience. As Nintendo has been and is going to be focusing upon the number of users per household, I have some doubt that current 3D technology which requires eyeglasses will be suitable for our products. In fact there have already been discussions for a possibility of a 3D video game for a long time. To tell you the truth, GameCube is secretly designed to load graphical circuits which display graphics for right and left eyes respectively, for a future possibility of realizing 3D gaming experience. So actually we have had interest on this technology, but I have some doubt about everyone needing glasses to play. Also, we would have to consider the impact on a human body if we develop 3D games as full-scaled as current video games, which takes much longer than 2-hours movies. If we design games that the players can enjoy only for two hours, that would mean less value for the price. To wrap up, we have interests but are also aware that there are so many hurdles to overcome, thus we don't believe every kind of game will become 3D environment in no time.

Log4Girlz

Mojojo said:
been posted several times , but it need to be reposted again to see the views of Iwata about 3D :

That sneaky bastard. Man I used to discuss the future DS with a buddy for hours on end, concluding the only way forward is with 3d and we just both wrote that off as way to expensive. I'm so glad I was wrong. Fuuuuu just imagine all the fucking cool ass games that can come to the device. I would love a Mario 64 remake in true 3d.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Mojojo said:

Thank you. I still don't know that it undermines my suggestion, as Iwata would never talk about the competition (to say anything other than "they're doing their thing, we're doing ours", that is) and what strategic choices he makes to counter the competitors. But what you posted does show that Nintendo had interest in 3D tech for games, which contradicts my impression that Nintendo did not believe in its potential, I'll give you that.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Medalion said:

And you'd be completely right.

so we really should have taken this Game Informer Miyamoto interview (done prior to this week) as foreshadowing, had it been out

What are your thoughts on 3D televisions and displays? Do you think they’re just a gimmick?

It’s rather difficult to tell. We’re at the stage right now where it’s very difficult to tell whether 3D televisions are going to cater to our needs to make better 3D experiences. For one thing, our video games are made for as many people as possible, and the number of people who can play those types of games, who can afford to buy the 3D televisions at home, aren’t going to be very good. It is also true that certain types of three-dimensional games utilize 3D televisions might help people navigate more freely. Right now we’re at the stage where it’s very hard for us to determine whether it’s very good or bad.

Minor update

Added the cameras which are slightly visible through the surface, just below the speakers. I'm assuming the 3DS will be true stereoscopic, but taking 3D photos/video would be sweet. Plus head tracking is always an option.

Also added a small fastening clip to the top so it can lock in place when closed.

Lastly, the brightness on the bottom screen was a little weird so now it's more in unison with the top screen.

3DS_mockup3c_ryancooper2010.jpg

Doorman

Still really like the design, but I'm still wishing for a version with a dark space between the two screens instead of a white one.

Torrod

Neo Member
What if we all misinterpret the 3D Nintendo is planning to serve?

That it will not be a 3D display to create a visual effect. Think of it. A Nintendo DS without any Touchscreen but rather a camara like in the DSi which is able to track the movement of the stylus in 3 Dimensions (Like PS Move). So in the end its just a DSi with new software for the cam. The Stylus will be called wand in the future where I come from. :D

bdouble

Only thing I don't like HAL_Laboratory is the gap. I hope its really really small. I hat that thing. I can't play games that span across both screens.

WillyFive

Torrod said:
What if we all misinterpret the 3D Nintendo is planning to serve?

That it will not be a 3D display to create a visual effect. Think of it. A Nintendo DS without any Touchscreen but rather a camara like in the DSi which is able to track the movement of the stylus in 3 Dimensions (Like PS Move). So in the end its just a DSi with new software for the cam. The Stylus will be called wand in the future where I come from. :D

Then it won't be backwards compatible, contradicting Nintendo's own press release.

Torrod

Neo Member
Willy105 said:
Then it won't be backwards compatible, contradicting Nintendo's own press release.

Maybe they keep the touchscreen. Just guessing ;)

Nintendo 3DS - Touch Control without even touching

Snakeyes

Torrod said:
Maybe they keep the touchscreen. Just guessing ;)

Nintendo 3DS - Touch Control without even touching

Nintedo said:
Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch "Nintendo 3DS"(temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.

I love speculation, but not when it contradicts Nintendo's official press release. You idea could work as another innovation on top of the 3D visuals.

bdouble said:
Only thing I don't like HAL_Laboratory is the gap. I hope its really really small. I hat that thing. I can't play games that span across both screens.

well the gap is smaller than what is currently available, i think if its any smaller then the "gap" between the screens would be a raised design, or I wonder if Nintendo would consider a slider design...

Pikachao

Neo Member
geeko420 said:
Awesome concept, probably too many moving parts that can break.

My GBC and GBA never broke. I've broken two DSes. Nintendo need to focus less on the money and win my respect back with some solid quality items. After the wii I am going to CAREFULLY INSPECT nintendo's future consoles.

I seem to remember something in NOM about strapping 100 GBAs together as a bulletproof vest. Not to mention my friend threw my GBA against a brick wall when he was annoyed with me. I picked up the batteries, put them back in and flicked the switch... *bling!* worked fine.

What about having a clear stylus? I know at times it can slightly annoy me when doing precision based things, and having something that is at least partially transparent would help make me feel better lol

bdouble

Dedication Through Light said:
well the gap is smaller than what is currently available, i think if its any smaller then the "gap" between the screens would be a raised design, or I wonder if Nintendo would consider a slider design...
Yeah I know. I don't really know what they will do. I just know I couldn't play Contra (yes I know not a man) and got mixed up on some other games. Oh well I can deal. I love the clamshell DS design regardless. Make it a bit higher res, add in 3d and like I said I won't hesitate one second at it being my second ever handheld console purchase. (Iphone didn't count. App Store wasn't out yet).

Pikachao

Neo Member
What about having a clear stylus?

Various companies already make them. You lose them really easily.

My friend has a glow in the dark one to help you find it if you lose it, but being that it's held inside the DS away from light, it's not practical. :/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
brain_stew said:
No more cross eyed BS! Gifs or GTFO!! :lol
This! I have a semi-lazy eye that still likes to wander off even after surgery (was way worse before though) so I can't do the crosseyed shit at all :(.

RagnarokX said:
mockup:
11aikqr.png

'tis like a transformer

I like it, but it'll be way to easy to break I think.

Instead, put an analog stick on it, make it a slider with a DS touchscreen under the large screen and there you go.

OK last one from me. The top side is raised over the bottom side like current models, but the base has a curved gap under the overlap to allow a flat edge to rotate past it.
Top side has concave areas either side of the screen which make room for the stick and buttons.

15zibly.jpg

5zl4ec.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom