• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogenzaka said:
You honestly believe Wii or mouse/keyboard is better? You don't even have direct input with those control schemes. With the DS stylus, you literally touch where to shoot. It doesn't get more direct than that.
So I assume you're going to ditch mice for touchscreens for PCs, as well?

Instro

The only problem I had with the MPH control scheme is that the screens were too small. Made me feel cramped for space when trying to control and watch the screen at the same time.

Well that and the lack of at least one analog stick.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:

I really hope the 3DS gets good FPS support, I can't subsist on Renegade Kid forever.

I agree with him, IMO:

Stylus > Wiimote >= Mouse/Keyboard* > Dual Analog

*Heavily dependent on the game in question.

Instro said:
The only problem I had with the MPH control scheme is that the screens were too small. Made me feel cramped for space when trying to control and watch the screen at the same time.

Well that and the lack of at least one analog stick.

I thought MPH controls were as perfect as could be for DS, but you're right, bigger screens would help out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
You guys would love MGS4 Touch on the iPad!

Hand covers the screen.

Now if it were two iPads, one for controls and one for the game... That I wouldn't have a problem with. :p

Baki

Andrex said:
I really hope the 3DS gets good FPS support, I can't subsist on Renegade Kid forever.

I agree with him, IMO:

Stylus > Wiimote >= Mouse/Keyboard* > Dual Analog

*Heavily dependent on the game in question.

I thought MPH controls were as perfect as could be for DS, but you're right, bigger screens would help out.

Am I the only one that finds it difficult to use the touchscreen while using the DPAD?

KevinCow

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
You honestly believe Wii or mouse/keyboard is better? You don't even have direct input with those control schemes. With the DS stylus, you literally touch where to shoot. It doesn't get more direct than that.

What? No you don't. I mean that was one of the control schemes, but it was terrible. In fact, I think that control scheme was only in the demo, and didn't even make it to the final game. The good control scheme was the one where the touch screen and stylus basically acted as a mouse.

Boney

Banned
KevinCow said:
What? No you don't. I mean that was one of the control schemes, but it was terrible. In fact, I think that control scheme was only in the demo, and didn't even make it to the final game. The good control scheme was the one where the touch screen and stylus basically acted as a mouse.
Meaning that mouse is better.

KAL2006

Banned
The problem with using the stylus touch controls as a mouse is that, you only have access to the D-Pad and L button. Thats not enough buttons for some of the FPS games we get lately. Plus I still think dual analogs is superior to using a touch screen for FPS games.

I need to go back to Hunters one day, I've tried twice before and went 'meh to this' each time. ;(

Its like the only Metroid game I haven't played extensively/loved zomg so much, even counting the Pinball game!

Dogenzaka said:

That provides unrealism to the game, I like aiming with a provided joystic and triggering lol. Similarly I cant see how they got MGS4 iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch to work.

Dogenzaka

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

If it became mainstream, yeah.

Technically I can already do that because I have a Cintiq PC tablet that works on FPS games, but I use it for other purposes.

I can program the left and right mouse click to the pen buttons, and just aim on screen and shoot when I want.

That provides unrealism to the game, I like aiming with a provided joystic and triggering lol

Yet, controlling a gun with a joystick is realistic over actually aiming where you want to shoot?

Wtf?

Um...no? In MPH you touch where to shoot and hit the L or R button (can't remember which) to fire.

Dogenzaka

Banned
vgamer1 said:
No... that was ONE of the control schemes, possibly from the demo.

I remember in the demo that you tapped, and it shot bullets.

But that in the real game, you aimed with the stylus and shot with the L/R button.

I'm pretty positive that's how it worked. Although there were other control schemes, they all basically revolved around that. (and then of course using ABXY and control pad for aiming which was stupid).

ShockingAlberto said:
You guys would love MGS4 Touch on the iPad!

The iPod Touch / iPhone version of that game has really good aiming controls, better than two analog sticks ever would have.

One analog stick for 3D movement is enough if you have an accessible touch screen. With the exception of rare cases like RAD or Fight Night, touch controls can easily replace aiming and camera controls that are normally on a second analog stick.

Dogenzaka said:
Yet, controlling a gun with a joystick is realistic over actually aiming where you want to shoot?

Wtf?

It felt more natural than say, touching the screen on an enemy and firing? I dont think I did use the stylus to fire in that game at all, I remember just touching it to change the weapons and such.

Dogenzaka said:

But that in the real game, you aimed with the stylus and shot with the L/R button.

I'm pretty positive that's how it worked. Although there were other control schemes, they all basically revolved around that. (and then of course using ABXY and control pad for aiming which was stupid).

I'm pretty sure you're thinking about the old-old E3 demo where it was all on the bottom screen and everyone said it was controlled poorly

I'm gonna check that First Hunt demo right now to make sure

yeah, wow, it's on here. TR mode

This controls well outside of the awkward energy blasts shooting from the side of the gun!

evangd007

Why does the argument about two sticks on the 3DS always devolve into a debate about the benefits of dual analog control? Two sticks on the 3DS will happen for a different reason: for people who hold the stylus in their left hand. I do not know if Nintendo intentionally designed the DS to be symmetrical and thus ambidextrous, but lefty mode is now a near standard in games with heavy stylus use. To not allow lefty mode with analog controls would be folly.

Dogenzaka

Banned
evangd007 said:
Why does the argument about two sticks on the 3DS always devolve into a debate about the benefits of dual analog control? Two sticks on the 3DS will happen for a different reason: for people who hold the stylus in their left hand. I do not know if Nintendo intentionally designed the DS to be symmetrical and thus ambidextrous, but lefty mode is now a near standard in games with heavy stylus use. To not allow lefty mode with analog controls would be folly.

Personally the reason why I want the second analog stick is because Wind Waker had the best controllable 3D action-adventure camera ever made in video games. That little c-stick was detrimental to the experience and I was sooo pissed when I couldn't control the camera in Twilight Princess.

I need a second analog stick in the 3DS simply to be able to control cameras swiftly like before on the GCN.

donny2112

Dogenzaka said:
you literally touch where to shoot.

Except the final version didn't. Only the demo had that control scheme.

Conrad Link said:
even counting the Pinball game!

The pinball game was good. The rumble pack was a great pack-in. :)

Dogenzaka said:
I was sooo pissed when I couldn't control the camera in Twilight Princess.

What? Yes, you could. Just use the C-stick to control the camera. Only the Wii version was gimped (along with a switched world), in that regard.

KevinCow

Banned
Dogenzaka said:

It worked like a mouse. The game was on the top screen, and a radar on the bottom. You moved the stylus around on the bottom to aim, like a mouse.

I don't know what game you're thinking of.

donny2112

KevinCow said:

MP Hunters demo that came with the DS at launch. There was a control scheme with the action on the bottom screen, and you shot where you touched. Personally, I liked that scheme much better than the mouse one, but they took it out of the final game. :(

rpmurphy

The benefit of having dual analog on the DS over stylus control would be that you could actually grip the DS with both hands. The ergonomic issues and the fact that you could only use one action button (for firing) really hampered the experience. It was still fun though as a fast-action FPS. Running around the map in morph-ball mode was pretty awesome.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I don't want to touch where to shoot and tap tap tap. Dual analog isn't even in the same ballpark as a mouse for aiming, but it is the second best option.

abstract alien said:
Only if I can scream the names of the moves phoenix wright-style into the microphone to pull them off. In public...and I most certainly will :D

Yelling STRAWBERRY ON A SHORTCAKE! in a crowded airport. Good times.

Apath

Hunters sucked, but mainly because I feel it's too clunky to hold a DS with one hand and I kinda dislike stylus aiming -- takes way too long to get used to. Even for Moon, which was slower than Prime, it was still difficult to move and aim efficiently for me.

Dual Analogue is definitely the way to go, and FPS games on a hand held would be fantastic if they had access to such a control scheme.

abstract alien said:
You sir, are a genius. I'm going to take a dump in 3D right now to celebrate the birth of this idea.

Alternative way to recharge Beam Katana:

Rub touch screen picture of limp Katana up and down until fully "charged".

Dogenzaka

Banned
KevinCow said:
It worked like a mouse. The game was on the top screen, and a radar on the bottom. You moved the stylus around on the bottom to aim, like a mouse.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yeah you're right.

Branduil

Mutagenic said:
I don't want to touch where to shoot and tap tap tap. Dual analog isn't even in the same ballpark as a mouse for aiming, but it is the second best option.
It's the 4th best.

Mouse>Wiimote>>>Stylus>>>Dual Analog

I think adding two buttons to the stylus like on a Wacom pen would solve some of the issues MPH had.

I prefer wiimote aiming much more so over mouse(as it has great precision and more potential options plus analog for movement), but I can deal with any of the shooting methods so long as I don't have to deal with WASD for moving in a 3D environment. That shit is terrible compared to an analog about 95% of the time in a modern gaming worlds. Very few games have actually made it feel comfortable and well implemented as opposed to "this is all we have to work with so deal with it". I'm one that believes almost any type of input can work, so long as the game is designed specifically for it, and any other input method wouldn't feel as good if it were to be replaced with it...but most of the time, WASD just has me yearning for better control options.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
famitsu peoples are too busy splooging over dinosaur cameos and licensed robot games. what does this week's famitsu say about the 3DS?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Branduil said:
It's the 4th best.

I think adding two buttons to the stylus like on a Wacom pen would solve some of the issues MPH had.
Completely disagree, but it doesn't matter. FPS games don't factor in as much on Nintendo systems, and I hope it stays that way.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Mutagenic said:
Completely disagree, but it doesn't matter. FPS games don't factor in as much on Nintendo systems, and I hope it stays that way.

If you disagree then you haven't played properly setup FPS games using a pointer and stylus. The only disadvantage of the wiimote relative to gamepads is the lack of face buttons. In terms of aiming though pointer>>>> thumbsticks.

The pointer even has an advantage over a mouse. It doesnt need a flat surface. This means I can play sitting in a couch without need for a high table or even play laying down on my back. Disadvantage is you have to point at the screen and mouse is easier to set up. (sensitivity and that is it)

amtentori said:
If you disagree then you haven't played properly setup FPS games using a pointer and stylus. The only disadvantage of the wiimote relative to gamepads is the lack of face buttons. In terms of aiming though pointer>>>> thumbsticks.

The pointer even has an advantage over a mouse. It doesnt need a flat surface. This means I can play sitting in a couch without need for a high table or even play laying down on my back. Disadvantage is you have to point at the screen and mouse is easier to set up. (sensitivity and that is it)
nah... I disagree too. Stylus FPS was just a completely unenjoyable experience for me as well

rpmurphy

Mr.Wuggles said:
famitsu peoples are too busy splooging over dinosaur cameos and licensed robot games. what does this week's famitsu say about the 3DS?
It's being reported that it says there will be info in the next issue.

+Aliken+

rpmurphy said:

huh?
But what will they keep for e3 then?

Actually about e3 were they just rumors that it would be playable at e3 or was it officially announced?

Branduil said:
It's the 4th best.

almost how i feel: Mouse>>Stylus>>Wiimote>>>>>>Dual Analog

dual analog control for shooters is something we mastered, but that doesn't mean it's intuitive. it's not. it's the least intuitive of all. Just give a noob any of those controls. dual analog will take days, weeks to master.

+Aliken+ said:
huh?
But what will they keep for e3 then?

Actually about e3 were they just rumors that it would be playable at e3 or was it officially announced?

It was officially announced I believe.

I doubt the next issue will have anything not already known.

neo2046

rpmurphy said:

nothing ...

HAL_Laboratory said:
Sorry guys, I've been working a lot over the last few days. What have I missed?
it is better that not to expect Famitsu will have any exclusive information

camineet

Banned
I don't have time to read this entire thread, though I'm sure it's been discussed: 3DS' graphical capability. Do we know what Nvidia's Tegra chips can do, is it on par with GameCube or better?

ReallyI'd be happy with GCN graphics. That would be a quantum leap beyond DS, much like GBA was beyond GBC.

camineet said:
I don't have time to read this entire thread, though I'm sure it's been discussed: 3DS' graphical capability. Do we know what Nvidia's Tegra chips can do, is it on par with GameCube or better?

ReallyI'd be happy with GCN graphics. That would be a quantum leap beyond DS, much like GBA was beyond GBC.

Tegra may not even be in the system, so it's moot.

Somnid

camineet said:

The Tegra rumor is on the verge of death, it's looking very unlikely at this point. But some developer somewhere at GDC heard a rumor and told this one guy that it will be about GCN level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom