• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
camineet said:
I don't have time to read this entire thread, though I'm sure it's been discussed: 3DS' graphical capability. Do we know what Nvidia's Tegra chips can do, is it on par with GameCube or better?

ReallyI'd be happy with GCN graphics. That would be a quantum leap beyond DS, much like GBA was beyond GBC.

We don't know, and it might not even be using the Tegra chips.
But rumor is that it has similar development tools to the GC/Wii, so it would be similar in power.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anything beyond GCN level hardware isn't really necessary for handheld games.

Also,
Dear Nintendo,
Mario Galaxy 3DS
k thnx!

camineet

Banned
Ah ok So T\tegra was just a rumor that probably isn't true. It would make so much more sense if Nintendo is using a GCN-like chipset.

oh and...
Twilight Princess 3DS :D

geeko

civilstrife said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anything beyond GCN level hardware isn't really necessary for handheld games.

Also,
Dear Nintendo,
Mario Galaxy 3DS
k thnx!

I second that!

ColonelColon said:
FPS controls on DS are the most cumbersome imaginable. iirc, I pressed the R trigger in Metroid Prime Hunters with my pinky.

How the hell do you hold the DS that you had your pinky on the shoulder buttons?

goldenpp72

I dont get how anyone can like stylus controls, covering part of the screen does not make a good shooter.

Mouse, wiimote, dual sticks, but not stylus or touch screen shit :/

Somnid

Matt said:
ARM doesn't make chips. They design chips and license out those designs.

Indeed, phrased it bad.

ColonelColon said:
FPS controls on DS are the most cumbersome imaginable. iirc, I pressed the R trigger in Metroid Prime Hunters with my pinky.

Refresh my memory, when did you have to use R? I don't remember it at all.

goldenpp72 said:
I dont get how anyone can like stylus controls, covering part of the screen does not make a good shooter.

I see we have no idea what we are talking about.

goldenpp72 said:

Mouse, wiimote, dual sticks, but not stylus or touch screen shit :/

Because the bottom screen is just the map and weapon switching?
MPH has awesome controls, especially if you use the thumb nub.

Prothero

Neo Member
civilstrife said:

Also,
Dear Nintendo,
Mario Galaxy 3DS
k thnx!

I third this. I would love to see a handheld version of Galaxy.

KevinCow

Banned
AceBandage said:
How the hell do you hold the DS that you had your pinky on the shoulder buttons?

He probably held it the way I did: stylus in hand like a pen, pinky wrapped around the right hinge to give the right side at least a little support.

R only zoomed in with the sniper rifle, though, so it wasn't really a huge deal for me.

Somnid

FPSs exist as they are because of the consoles that they are on. Dual analog plays well on dual analog systems because it has been developed for dual analog. Not only that but the type and usage of the buttons.

On the 3DS you'd probably try to take advantage of the system itself. Perhaps opening the genre using the camera to create some augmented reality shooters and the like. System Flaw demonstrates the idea on DSi even if it looks a bit underbaked. Obviously this is not something a console or PC can do.

Not just this but consider if the the 3DS has accerometers and vibration to enable tactile feedback to touch buttons it can go much farther than DS without that second analog stick. There's a lot of unexplored territory here, and just imagining console ports is pretty short-sighted and probably pointless.

yeah, the type of fps games change to better suit the systems. You compare FPS games on the N64 to what was out on the PC and they played very different; slower paced and crazy amounts of auto-aim. Even after the PS1 had dual analog as a standard control scheme, Halo was the game that kinda defined dual analog shooters with the sticky aim and acceleration trickery. Now there is the CoD approach where they have two sensitivities, one when aiming and one when just looking around, not to forget the little nudge when you pull on that aim button. When people talk about how some games feel like PC games or console games, it isn't just a bunch of nonsense.

I'd say we haven't really seen that a defining pointer or touch screen shooter yet. I still think a touch screen is the best solution for a "second stick" that would actually be an improvement in the long run, at least if they let you use your thumb comfortably like the ipod touch.

and it's not just shooters, it's basic camera control for 3D games. Assuming the 3DS is gamecube quality, they need some camera solution. Ideally we could just say "they'll find a way without the player managing the camera" that won't happen.

Branduil said:
It's the 4th best.

Mouse>Wiimote>>>Stylus>>>Dual Analog

I think adding two buttons to the stylus like on a Wacom pen would solve some of the issues MPH had.
I'd put stylus in last, mainly because I'm left handed and moving with the buttons is a bit weird. I can switch to my right hand, I just don't try to as much. D:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ShockingAlberto said:
I'd put money on it being a new ATI GPU.
erm, define 'new' ; )

Matt said:
ARM doesn't make chips. They design chips and license out those designs.
also, they license out the rights to design ARM chips to others (AKA 'architecture licensees'), so an "ARM" chip does not need be necessarily designed by ARM themselves.

camineet

Banned
3DS is the most exciting development in Nintendo hardware since the Wii (well duh, the only lol). I've been waiting for a handheld with GameCube level visuals, and thus, a step above PSP, even if not as advanced as what PSP2 will likely have.

neo2046

http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/article.php?mid=P20100408000041&genre=B4&area=K00

Shigeru Saito (The President of TOSE) :
Last year the company's got a loss. The profit has been reduced sharply due to the depression of the game market.
The software makers postponed or canceled projects made the volume of the sales been reduced almost by half.

The order of producing softwares for Nintendo's Nintendo 3DS has been increasing.
Thanks to this contribution, the financial situation can be considerably recovered

neo2046 said:

Last year the company's got a loss. The profit has been reduced sharply due to the depression of the game market.
The software makers postponed or canceled projects made the volume of the sales been reduced almost by half.

The order of producing softwares for Nintendo's Nintendo 3DS has been increasing.
Thanks to this contribution, the financial situation can be considerably recovered
C'mon Slime Mori Mori 3.

Boney

Banned
neo2046 said:

You know, maybe's Nintendo's launch lineup will be a glorious thing to behold. One thing they probably learned from Wii's launch is that you need must own software at launch. Not promises of what's to come.

neo2046 said:

I wonder what a slump for TOSE is like.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Jacked from YoPretendo:

28sndqb.jpg

23gzrbo.jpg

2akk1g1.jpg

10zuxom.jpg

Patent referring to internal rumble and other stuff

http://www.mediafire.com/?yyzwi4dooot

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
ILikeFeet said:
I kinda think rumble for the device and the stylus is kinda overkill.
I thought most people misread the first rumble patent and thought it meant the sylus had rumble when it meant that the stylus would just recieve feedback from it.

Also, I think the diagram depicting what looks like the innards are pretty interesting...

neo2046 said:

TOSE ninjas working on 3DS? Interesting...

camineet

Banned
I'm most interested in 3DS. Everyone's experience with it will be the same, since it's not a home console where everyone has a different screen + and audio equipment.

The potential for GameCube quality graphics with 3D viewing without glasses is just utterly tantilizing.

OnPoint

camineet said:
I'm most interested in 3DS. Everyone's experience with it will be the same, since it's not a home console where everyone has a different screen + and audio equipment.

The potential for GameCube quality graphics with 3D viewing withough glasses is just utterly tantilizing.

No, I'M most interested.

Log4Girlz

camineet said:

The potential for GameCube quality graphics with 3D viewing withough glasses is just utterly tantilizing.

If it lives up to the promise, then it will rule the world.

Log4Girlz said:
If it lives up to the promise, then it will rule the world.

Maybe, unless the PSP2 with a 3D screen and much better graphics is somehow marketed at a similar price. Why else would Nintendo announce the 3DS so early, and at the (possible) expense of some DSi XL sales?

I think Sony has the same thing going on, screen wise.

ntropy

-WindYoshi- said:
Maybe, unless the PSP2 with a 3D screen and much better graphics is somehow marketed at a similar price. Why else would Nintendo announce the 3DS so early, and at the (possible) expense of some DSi XL sales?

why? Nintendo would like to put the kibosh on the PSP in Japan.

Log4Girlz

-WindYoshi- said:

They're closing the window of opportunity for Sony. I mean, sure it could be possible that Sony is working on a similar system, but I just don't see it. Nintendo innovated with the Wii motion controls and Sony is outright ripping them off with the Move...I don't think Nintendo is adding a 3d screen in response to anyone...they are innovating. Could be wrong naturally.

Vinci

Danish
-WindYoshi- said:

I think someone mentioned that this is essentially how they rolled out the DS, announcing initial details about it in February or March that don't give any real clue as to what they're doing with the product, then showcasing it at the following E3 and launching around the holidays. If that's true, and I think it is, then they're basically just following their original game plan.

Though it's certainly possible that Sony is doing the same thing even though their PR response seemed to suggest they weren't.

EDIT: I agree with Log4Girlz. I feel this is Nintendo's way of hitting Sony while they're down and trying to put them out of contention.

felipeko

-WindYoshi- said:

Maybe have something to do with Sharp's announcement (if it uses Sharp techonology)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom