• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMigs85

Some iPad and iPhone games look pretty darn good, definitely cleaner and better than PSP at least. I just hope they at least match or exceed PSP's screen resolution.

pakkit said:
Maybe it needs that extra processing power to display 3D?
This makes sense to, for PC games it takes a lot of hardware to run games in 3D, so a dev saying that the 3DS has processing power closer to the HD consoles than a Wii doesn't mean that it will have graphic similar to those, it may be more powerful than a Wii technically but still have close to GameCube level graphics due to the power that 3D requires.

GaussTek

dr3upmushroom said:
Just to be clear, since it's kind of hard to tell, does everyone doubting this rumor believe that it isn't technically possible or just that it's unlikely that Nintendo would release something so cutting edge?

The current systems have been around about as long as the PS2 was when the PSP came out, so I don't see why anyone would think it's ridiculous that a handheld released either at the end of this year or early next could compete with 360/ PS3 visuals.

To me it just seems pointless because there's no need for a ton of detail on such a small screen, but at the rate technology progresses I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible.

What I think is that, even if that would technically possible, just imagine how costly the hardware would be, for both us and Nintendo.

dr3upmushroom said:
This makes sense to, for PC games it takes a lot of hardware to run games in 3D, so a dev saying that the 3DS has processing power closer to the HD consoles than a Wii doesn't mean that it will have graphic similar to those, it may be more powerful than a Wii technically but still have close to GameCube level graphics due to the power that 3D requires.

I thought the 3D effect was going to be only the illusion created by the parallax screen(s).

GaussTek

AceBandage said:
Well, how much does a Tegra 2 chip cost?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpGtu_ZkwqA

I mean, I know it won't be using that, but something similar (especially if designed specifically for Nintendo) it shouldn't cost much.

Yeah, but no way it could reach 360/PS3 level graphics (that's what I meant with the "technically possible"). Anyway, and IMO, that statement from IGN is terribly vague, so I'll just wait for E3 heh

Snakeyes

The iPad's A4 processor costs approximately $15 to manufacture. Let's say that the 3DS' processor is some kind of never-before seen compact, powerful and energy-efficient design. The cost would be maximum $30, but it's still not overly expensive technology.

GaussTek said:
Yeah, but no way it could reach 360/PS3 level graphics (that's what I meant with the "technically possible"). Anyway, and IMO, that statement from IGN is terribly vague, so I'll just wait for E3 heh

Well, it says abilities close to PS3/360.
Which, as others have pointed out, likely means certain effects and such.

GaussTek said:
What I think is that, even if that would technically possible, just imagine how costly the hardware would be, for both us and Nintendo.
Again, the PSP managed to have graphics really close to its console cousins when it was released. It was expensive, yeah, but people bought it. I can't imagine Nintendo thinks that every single person who has a DS will upgrade, the way I see it going is Nintendo will continue to release Touch Generations-type titles for the original DS (that will be playable on the 3DS as well) and the 3DS will be for "core gamers" who won't mind paying a premium for a cutting-edge product.

People may balk at that since they associate that kind of marketing with the PSP Go, but it makes sense, especially seeing how recently they released the DSi.

GaussTek said:
Keep in mind that the quote says the 3DS is closer in power to the HD consoles than to the Wii, not that they will have 360/ PS3 caliber graphics.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
IGN is full of tools, but I'd say they deserve the benefit of the doubt since they're the ones that leaked info on the Wii being barely more powerful than a GC.

dr3upmushroom said:
Again, the PSP managed to have graphics really close to its console cousins when it was released. It was expensive, yeah, but people bought it. I can't imagine Nintendo thinks that every single person who has a DS will upgrade, the way I see it going is Nintendo will continue to release Touch Generations-type titles for the original DS (that will be playable on the 3DS as well) and the 3DS will be for "core gamers" who won't mind paying a premium for a cutting-edge product.

People may balk at that since they associate that kind of marketing with the PSP Go, but it makes sense, especially seeing how recently they released the DSi.

I highly doubt that. Nintendo is dropping all support for the current DS line when the 3DS launches.

Vinterbird said:
I highly doubt that. Nintendo is dropping all support for the current DS line when the 3DS launches.

They'll still release a handful of DS/DSi titles through 2011, not least including Pokemon Black & White. But going by how GBA ended, I wouldn't expect anything much after that.

Vinterbird said:
Uhh.....no they aren't. Nintendo doesn't do that. The GBA was alive for an entire year after the DS launched, Gamecube still got games for a while...Nintendo doesn't abandon platforms just because they released the next-generation system. Especially when they've already said it would be 100% backwards compatible with DS/DSi.

Vinterbird said:
Why would they do that though, it makes no sense.

Remember I'm saying that they'll release Tough Generations style games, all new Mario/ Zelda/ etc games will be on the 3DS of course, but I'll be surprised if they don't keep releasing stuff like Brain Age and Picross for the DS.

Saying they'll drop all support seems ignorant, many of the DS' bestselling games aren't graphics intensive, so it would be extremely stupid to suddenly make games like Layton exclusive to the 3DS when they could just have the GB/ GBC thing where they just have extra gimmicks on the 3DS for people who buy that but can still be purchased by the millions and millions and millions of people who own the DS.

Father_Brain said:
They'll still release a handful of DS/DSi titles through 2011, not least including Pokemon Black & White. But going by how GBA ended, I wouldn't expect anything much after that.
I'm pretty sure the DS sold a teensy bit more than the GBA, doesn't make sense to compare the two.

dr3upmushroom said:
I'm pretty sure the DS sold a teensy bit more than the GBA, doesn't make sense to compare the two.

GBA was still a hugely successful platform at the time (unlike the GC, for which first-party support ended immediately after the release of TP), and multiple sources have alleged that NCL forced NOA to kill first-party GBA support in '06 because the system and its software were selling too well and cannibalizing potential DS sales. I don't see any reason why the same scenario couldn't play out again in late 2011 or early 2012.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
dr3upmushroom said:

The GBA still sold something like 80 million units. So it still sold a shit ton.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Father_Brain said:
GBA was still a hugely successful platform at the time (unlike the GC, for which first-party support ended immediately after the release of TP), and multiple sources have alleged that NCL forced NOA to kill first-party GBA support in '06 because the system and its software were selling too well and cannibalizing potential DS sales. I don't see any reason why the same scenario couldn't play out again in late 2011 or early 2012.
It wasn't. Don't compare GBA to DS.

Father_Brain said:
GBA was still a hugely successful platform, and multiple sources have alleged that NCL forced NOA to kill first-party GBA support in '06 because the system was selling too well and cannibalizing potential DS sales. I don't see any reason why the same scenario couldn't play out again in late 2011 or early 2012.
It's impossible to say before seeing what the 3DS is. If it keeps the <$200 price point, I'll agree with you, but especially if this IGN rumor turns out to be accurate, it's seeming like the 3DS will be a more expensive, enthusiast thing, in which case Nintendo could tailor game like Zelda to the enthusiast machine and casual games could be tailored to the casual machine, with added stuff if played on the enthusiast machine.

I can't believe that Nintendo will just say "See ya!" to all of the people who own a DS but don't buy games too regularly, and those people are not likely to buy a 3DS even if it does stay under $300 now that they can get all of the games they need from various Apple products.

I still think though that comparing the GBA's success to the DS' is invalid, even if it was also extremely successful, it didn't sell as much or to the same crowd. You didn't see women playing Brain Age on the GBA.

dr3upmushroom said:
It's impossible to say before seeing what the 3DS is. If it keeps the <$200 price point, I'll agree with you, but especially if this IGN rumor turns out to be accurate, it's seeming like the 3DS will be a more expensive, enthusiast thing, in which case Nintendo could tailor game like Zelda to the enthusiast machine and casual games could be tailored to the casual machine, with added stuff if played on the enthusiast machine.

If this is actually Nintendo's strategy for 3DS, I'll have to drastically rethink my assumptions about Iwata et al.'s intelligence. The "more expensive, enthusiast handheld" approach hasn't worked out that well for Sony, after all.

It's certainly possible that Nintendo could decide to phase out the original DS line more gradually than they did with GBA, due to the former's significantly greater success with casual titles. But it's also true that there's recent historical evidence that they might pull the plug rather abruptly.

Father_Brain said:
If this is actually Nintendo's strategy for 3DS, I'll have to drastically rethink my assumptions about Iwata et al.'s intelligence. The "more expensive, enthusiast handheld" approach hasn't worked out that well for Sony, after all.

It's certainly possible that Nintendo could decide to phase out the original DS line more gradually than they did with GBA, due to the former's significantly greater success with casual titles. But it's also true that there's recent historical evidence that they might pull the plug rather abruptly.
What recent historic evidence?

Sony didn't already have a handheld with a ridiculous number of units sold when they released the PSP. With the PSP, the "premium factor" was just better graphics, the 3DS has 3D along with whatever other accelerator, vibrating stylus, etc stuff that ends up being true.

The success of the DS is unprecedented, the 3DS with be the first dedicated gaming handheld released post-iPhone, no other company has ever released a successor to a handheld that has sold as well as the DS has. There's no comparison between Nintendo's current situation and one that they or anyone else has been in before in this market, so it's pointless to point out what other companies and even Nintendo themselves have done in the past.

swerve

ShockingAlberto said:
That is a huuuuuuuge exaggeration.

This.

I have heard the exact opposite of what IGN are gossiping about. Nice system, great screen, not exactly a powerhouse. And frankly that sounds a lot more like something Nintendo would release.

'Far exceeds Wii' sounds like it would be overpowered for a portable device.

I believe the 'no tegra' stuff though.

dr3upmushroom said:
What recent historic evidence?

Sony didn't already have a handheld with a ridiculous number of units sold when they released the PSP. With the PSP, the "premium factor" was just better graphics, the 3DS has 3D along with whatever other accelerator, vibrating stylus, etc stuff that ends up being true.

The success of the DS is unprecedented, the 3DS with be the first dedicated gaming handheld released post-iPhone, no other company has ever released a successor to a handheld that has sold as well as the DS has. There's no comparison between Nintendo's current situation and one that they or anyone else has been in before in this market, so it's pointless to point out what other companies and even Nintendo themselves have done in the past.

So, you're saying that the proven strength of the DS brand name makes everything different? I might be misinterpreting you, but that sounds like what Sony thought in '04 and '06: that superior tech and the strength of the PlayStation brand name would make their hardware fly off the shelves and crush all competition, regardless of price, the software lineup, or whether the design of the hardware was actually aimed in the direction most consumers wanted. If Nintendo actually thinks that advanced, enthusiast-oriented technology can justify a $250 or $300 price tag for a handheld, I expect that they'll quickly learn the same lesson Sony did.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Chris1964 said:
It wasn't. Don't compare GBA to DS.
GBA wasn't hugely successful? Just because it didn't reach DS numbers doesn't mean it wasn't successful. 80 million units is very, very impressive.

Father_Brain said:
So, you're saying that the proven strength of the DS brand name makes everything different? I might be misinterpreting you, but that sounds like what Sony thought in '04 and '06: that superior tech and the strength of the PlayStation brand name would make their hardware fly off the shelves and crush all competition, regardless of price, the software lineup, or whether the design of the hardware was actually aimed in the direction most consumers wanted. If Nintendo actually thinks that advanced, enthusiast-oriented technology can justify a $250 or $300 price tag for a handheld, I expect that they'll quickly learn the same lesson Sony did.
Nintendo is in a position where they can do both. They already have the DS which is great for people who already have it, and the 3DS can be the superior tech. It doesn't need to crush the competition, Nintendo has already done that with the DS, and the 3DS is not going to crush sales of Apple products no matter what it does/is, and those are its competitors at this point.

What lesson exactly did Sony learn? It isn't "crushing the competition," it's true, but it's far from a failure, and it's level of success is a good target for Nintendo for the 3DS.

What exactly do you think is Nintendo's strategy? It seems totally foolish to me to suggest that they would think for a second that they're going to have the same success that they had with the DS with the 3DS worldwide. Apple's recent products really do change the playing field, a lot of the people who made Brain Age a huge success are now playing Cannabalt and Angry Birds on an iWhatever, and casual gamers probably don't need two systems. Regardless of what they do the 3DS is going to sell mainly to "core gamers," so they may as well differentiate the 3DS with awesome graphics and a higher price tag as well as the gimmicky stuff.

Also, I'm not saying anything about name recognition selling the 3DS, if you read my posts I'm saying that I believe that the 3DS will appeal to a far smaller group of people than the DS in spite of the name recognition.

Chatin

One thing that Nintendo has gotten a lot better at is marketing towards those less "core" markets. And I don't doubt that they will be able to lure the general public over to the 3DS. If Nintendo decided to keep supporting the DS alongside the 3DS beyond 2011, it would only confuse consumers. If there are any stragglers who refuse to pick up the 3DS for whatever reason, they can go through the rest of the released Touch Generation games.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
dr3upmushroom said:
Nintendo is in a position where they can do both. They already have the DS which is great for people who already have it, and the 3DS can be the superior tech. It doesn't need to crush the competition, Nintendo has already done that with the DS, and the 3DS is not going to crush sales of Apple products no matter what it does/is, and those are its competitors at this point.

What lesson exactly did Sony learn? It isn't "crushing the competition," it's true, but it's far from a failure, and it's level of success is a good target for Nintendo for the 3DS.

What exactly do you think is Nintendo's strategy? It seems totally foolish to me to suggest that they would think for a second that they're going to have the same success that they had with the DS with the 3DS worldwide. Apple's recent products really do change the playing field, a lot of the people who made Brain Age a huge success are now playing Cannabalt and Angry Birds on an iWhatever, and casual gamers probably don't need two systems. Regardless of what they do the 3DS is going to sell mainly to "core gamers," so they may as well differentiate the 3DS with awesome graphics and a higher price tag as well as the gimmicky stuff.

Also, I'm not saying anything about name recognition selling the 3DS, if you read my posts I'm saying that I believe that the 3DS will appeal to a far smaller group of people than the DS in spite of the name recognition.

:lol :lol :lol

WTF is this shit?

Chatin said:
One thing that Nintendo has gotten a lot better at is marketing towards those less "core" markets. And I don't doubt that they will be able to lure the general public over to the 3DS. If Nintendo decided to keep supporting the DS alongside the 3DS beyond 2011, it would only confuse consumers. If there are any stragglers who refuse to pick up the 3DS for whatever reason, they can go through the rest of the release Touch Generation games.
It's true their marketing is very effective, but I don't see how you market any dedicated gaming device to someone who only had a DS for Touch Generations games. Those are the types of games that fueled the DS's success, and I can't imagine anyone is going to think "Oh boy, forget about that iPod Touch that has droves of quality casual games and an increasing number of core-ish games besides and also does plenty of other stuff, I'll spend that money on this new handheld that does nothing but play games so I can play GameCube quality Nintendogs!"

I don't think that that person exists, and while I do think the 3DS will be successful, I don't think it will be near to the scale that the DS was.

Skiesofwonder said:
:lol :lol :lol

WTF is this shit?
Which do you think?

1) The PSP was a failure
2) People don't play games on Apple products
3) People gladly purchase multiple products that do the same thing

Or some combination of the three?

Chatin

The 3DS has 3D. That is why someone will choose the 3DS over the iPod Touch.

Furthermore, it isn't just about selling the DS brand. It's selling the Nintendo brand. And between the DS and the Wii, the Nintendo name is stronger than ever. People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo. You don't get that elsewhere.

Finally, what could Nintendo possibly be releasing for the "casual market" on the DS that hasn't already been released? That wouldn't get more sales by being bolstered by the functionality and power of the 3DS?

Chatin said:
The 3DS has 3D. That is why someone will choose the 3DS over the iPod Touch.

Furthermore, it isn't just about selling the DS brand. It's selling the Nintendo brand. And between the DS and the Wii, the Nintendo name is stronger than ever. People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo. You don't get that elsewhere.

Finally, what could Nintendo possibly be releasing for the "casual market" on the DS that hasn't already been released? That wouldn't get more sales by being bolstered by the functionality and power of the 3DS?
Who cares about 3D? What about 3D appeals to the people who bought a DS for Brain Age, Mario, Layton, whatever other games were popular? Even if it's not just a gimmick, it sounds like one, and to the person who doesn't identify themselves as a "gamer," I have to think that all of the extra functionality an iPod Touch has trumps playing the same ol' games in 3D.

People who like Nintendo games will buy the 3DS because it's Nintendo, but they're going to lose a lot of people who picked up a Wii or DS because they were the current hot item and just bought a few games for it.

GaussTek said:
Right. PSP decently aped PS2 level, and the cost reflected that. To try and pull the same for machines that started out costing hundreds more than PS2 did would be... well, 3DS would be as expensive as two DSis duct-taped together.
I thought the 3D effect was going to be only the illusion created by the parallax screen(s).
You still need the machine to create two images for the screen to display, though.

Chatin

The 3DS is absolutely going to be a hot item. It's affordable, 3D technology. 3D is THE biggest thing right now. People are willing to pay 20 bucks to see a movie in 3D at the theatre. Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time because it's in 3D.

I think you are overestimating how much of the DS' userbase is actually "non-gamers". Especially, considering that any who were, aren't anymore. The minute you become a fan of New Super Mario Bros, you aren't a non-gamer anymore. Those people will pick up a 3DS for New Super Mario Bros 3D. The Professor Layton crowd, also gamers.

As for Brain Age, Nintendo got that "casual" crowd to come to the Wii, and similarly, they are going to have reasons for them to come to the 3DS. It's naive to think that Nintendo doesn't have a reason for incorporating 3D tech.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Right. PSP decently aped PS2 level, and the cost reflected that. To try and pull the same for machines that started out costing hundreds more than PS2 did would be... well, 3DS would be as expensive as two DSis duct-taped together.

You still need the machine to create two images for the screen to display, though.
You realize that technology become cheaper over time, no? What does it matter what the HD consoles cost when they came out, that was five years ago.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mutagenic said:
GBA wasn't hugely successful? Just because it didn't reach DS numbers doesn't mean it wasn't successful. 80 million units is very, very impressive.
Cris1964 said:
GBA was still a hugely successful platform at the time
DS before 3DS comes out>>>GBA before DS comes out

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
dr3upmushroom said:
Which do you think?

1) The PSP was a failure
2) People don't play games on Apple products
3) People gladly purchase multiple products that do the same thing

Or some combination of the three?

You must know nothing about how Nintendo does things. Going by past history, 3D is not the BIG feature of the 3DS. Nintendo will have something else totally unique to bring in the casual market, separate itself from the competition, and justify it's release over the DS. Nintendo is not stupid. Iwata knows that Apple is its biggest threat. Go read his latest interviews. Nintendo will find a way to separate itself enough from the red ocean that Apple has caused and enter into a totally new blue ocean.

And your number three option is what the gaming industry lived off of for the last twenty years. New system releases with no substantial upgrades outside the graphic department. Nintendo is THE one that realized you just couldn't do that anymore. Nintendo will never again release a hardcore specific, expensive, graphic heavy system. Period.

Seriously, Why the hell would Nintendo ever follow the formula of the PSP and abandoned the formula that brought them the most successful gaming system in history? It would be substantial moronic.

Chatin said:
The 3DS is absolutely going to be a hot item. It's affordable, 3D technology. 3D is THE biggest thing right now. People are willing to pay 20 bucks to see a movie in 3D at the theatre. Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time because it's in 3D.

I think you are overestimating how much of the DS' userbase is actually "non-gamers". Especially, considering that any who were, aren't anymore. The minute you become a fan of New Super Mario Bros, you aren't a non-gamer anymore. Those people will pick up a 3DS for New Super Mario Bros 3D. The Professor Layton crowd, also gamers.

As for Brain Age, Nintendo got that "casual" crowd to come to the Wii, and similarly, they are going to have reasons for them to come to the 3DS. It's naive to think that Nintendo doesn't have a reason for incorporating 3D tech.
How much is it?

You're overestimating how much people care about 3D. Saying that Avatar was successful because it was 3D is ludicrous. I hear that the guy who directed it made a few indie art flicks or something before he did Avatar, so I'm sure his involvement had nothing to do with it, or it's budget, but I'm still pretty sure that the fact that it's in 3D is not the driving factor for it's success. I suppose you think UP was praised only for it's 3D effects as well?

You seem to be unable to form reasonable analogies. Can you not see the difference between spending $20 to see a movie and spending hundreds on a video game system to replace one you already own that does the same thing while other products also play games (albeit not in 3D) along with many other functions?

If you want to compare the 3DS to anything already on the market, 3D televisions are a far more valid comparison, as purchasing one is very similar to purchasing a 3DS. It replaces something you already own with something that does the same thing plus 3D, and many people have purchased HDTV's in the past few years that they're not going to want to replace suddenly when they are content with what they're current TV does. Of course a television is a much larger purchase that a 3DS, but Nintendo is still going to have an uphill battle convincing people why they need to buy a new system to see games in 3D.

I'm not sure what you're getting at in your second paragraph. New Mario Bros. is more of a "core" game than Brain Age, sure, but just because someone plays Mario and suddenly undergos some sort of transformation from "non-gamer" to "gamer" (silly) doesn't mean they're suddenly purchasing many more games than they were before, or that Apple's products suddenly don't appeal to them, or that 3D becomes any more appealing to them.

dr3upmushroom said:
You realize that technology become cheaper over time, no? What does it matter what the HD consoles cost when they came out, that was five years ago.
And they're STILL $200-300, no 3D screen, no battery included, no tiny form factor.

PSP tried to be a PS2, didn't quite make it, but launched for $100 more than what PS2 was going for at the time--at least going by US prices. And that's from a company willing to bleed on early hardware costs.

Skiesofwonder said:
You must know nothing about how Nintendo does things. Going by past history, 3D is not the BIG feature of the 3DS. Nintendo will have something else totally unique to bring in the casual market, separate itself from the competition, and justify it's release over the DS. Nintendo is not stupid. Iwata knows that Apple is its biggest threat. Go read his latest interviews. Nintendo will find a way to separate itself enough from the red ocean that Apple has caused and enter into a totally new blue ocean.

And your number three option is what the gaming industry lived off of for the last twenty years. New system releases with no substantial upgrades outside the graphic department. Nintendo is THE one that realized you just couldn't do that anymore. Nintendo will never again release a hardcore specific, expensive, graphic heavy system. Period.

Seriously, Why the hell would Nintendo ever follow the formula of the PSP and abandoned the formula that brought them the most successful gaming system in history? It would be substantial moronic.
And gaming has lived off gamers for the last twenty years, not the millions of new customers who bought a DS.

What would be "substantial moronic" would be to release a device with a similar price tag to an iPod Touch and have no hard drive, similar graphics, have far, far, far less functionality, but oh wait, this one 3D!

You realize that Nintendo needs to differentiate itself, which is good, but you need to make the next jump and see that offering a handheld with much better graphics is a way of doing this. Nintendo needs to differentiate itself from Apple, and if the cost of doing that is a slightly higher price tag, they'll do it.

I'm not saying that I'm certain to be right and that you're a moron for thinking differently, but completely dismissing the possibility is dumb.

selig

Banned
Btw. what is the popular opinion on the possibility of there being a yet unknown, BIG feature of the 3DS? Im not talking about natural upgrades like better online-structure or motion controls like the iphone has had for years. Anyone?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Chris1964 said:
DS before 3DS comes out>>>GBA before DS comes out
Look at who you quoted first and what you bolded, and the response you gave. It in no way resembles what you're trying to say now.

JoshuaJSlone said:
And they're STILL $200-300, no 3D screen, no battery included, no tiny form factor.

PSP tried to be a PS2, didn't quite make it, but launched for $100 more than what PS2 was going for at the time--at least going by US prices. And that's from a company willing to bleed on early hardware costs.
What's your point?

dr3upmushroom said:
Who cares about 3D? What about 3D appeals to the people who bought a DS for Brain Age, Mario, Layton, whatever other games were popular? Even if it's not just a gimmick, it sounds like one, and to the person who doesn't identify themselves as a "gamer," I have to think that all of the extra functionality an iPod Touch has trumps playing the same ol' games in 3D.

People who like Nintendo games will buy the 3DS because it's Nintendo, but they're going to lose a lot of people who picked up a Wii or DS because they were the current hot item and just bought a few games for it.

The simple fact that the 3DS will not require glasses will probably interest a great many people, which i think Nintendo is banking on.
I have heard of the tech that allows for 3D screens without glass for a while, but the 3DS appears to be the first consumer product
that will bring this technology to the mass market. When someone walks by a 3D TV they just see a blurry mess until they put on annoying glasses,
but if someone sees a 3DS they can immediately notice the 3D effects without any extra equipment.

Oh, and I find that the word 'gimmick' is getting really old when it's used to classify any kind of new or unique technological feature.
When the DS was announced all anyone said was that the dual screens were a gimmick, and that the touch screen was a gimmick.
When the Wii came out all anyone said was how the motion controls were a gimmick.

But when the games came out that put those 'gimmicks' to good use,
they stopped being gimmicks and started simply being another feature
that allows people to enjoy their games in new and interesting ways.

If Nintendo or anyone else isn't able to make games look interesting using the 3D
effects, then I will be willing to call it a gimmick. Not before.

Chatin

dr3upmushroom said:
How much is it?
Nintendo has never put out a product that wasn't affordable. And in comparison to 3D Televisions (which is the only other mainstream alternative for 3D entertainment outside of the cinema), the 3DS' cost will be a drop in the bucket.

You're overestimating how much people care about 3D. Saying that Avatar was successful because it was 3D is ludicrous. I hear that the guy who directed it made a few indie art flicks or something before he did Avatar, so I'm sure his involvement had nothing to do with it, or it's budget, but I'm still pretty sure that the fact that it's in 3D is not the driving factor for it's success. I suppose you think UP was praised only for it's 3D effects as well?
Avatar's earnings were absolutely boosted by the WOW effect 3D had on the general public. The 3DS will be the same. There are tons of people who will jump on board simply for the spectacle. As for the comparison to Up, Nintendo won't be releasing shallow software focused only on spectacle, either.

You seem to be unable to form reasonable analogies. Can you not see the difference between spending $20 to see a movie and spending hundreds on a video game system to replace one you already own that does the same thing while other products also play games (albeit not in 3D) along with many other functions?
This is how the video game industry works. After a five or six year lifetime, you upgrade to the new system, partly for the updated graphics and new functionality, and mostly because that is where all the future software is going to be. If you want to continue to enjoy the software that Nintendo releases, you have to pick up a 3DS. This isn't going to shock people.

Most of the other functions in the iPhones and iPod Touches, that you are insisting people will purchase instead of a 3DS, they already have in other forms. They can continue to listen to new music on the old iPod they already have. There is less incentive for them to upgrade their iPod than there will be for them to upgrade their Nintendo handheld.

If you want to compare the 3DS to anything already on the market, 3D televisions are a far more valid comparison, as purchasing one is very similar to purchasing a 3DS. It replaces something you already own with something that does the same thing plus 3D, and many people have purchased HDTV's in the past few years that they're not going to want to replace suddenly when they are content with what they're current TV does. Of course a television is a much larger purchase that a 3DS, but Nintendo is still going to have an uphill battle convincing people why they need to buy a new system to see games in 3D.
There is no uphill battle in convincing people to buy a new system. Nintendo doesn't need everyone who bought a DS in the past year or two to buy a 3DS on launch. There are millions and millions of individuals who bought their DS six years ago. Those users are ready to upgrade. The individuals who aren't ready, will be a couple years later.

I'm not sure what you're getting at in your second paragraph. New Mario Bros. is more of a "core" game than Brain Age, sure, but just because someone plays Mario and suddenly undergos some sort of transformation from "non-gamer" to "gamer" (silly) doesn't mean they're suddenly purchasing many more games than they were before, or that Apple's products suddenly don't appeal to them, or that 3D becomes any more appealing to them.
I'm not sure what you were getting at by listing NSMB as a reason that people bought the DS, and then insisting that people wouldn't buy a 3DS for a Mario title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom