• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chatin

dr3upmushroom said:
And gaming has lived off gamers for the last twenty years, not the millions of new customers who bought a DS.
You do realize that millions of the new gamers who have DS' as their first handheld are children who became old enough to game in the past six years, right? Populations increase, and that means more potential gamers. Six years from now, there will be millions and millions more potential gamers that will have been born.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
dr3upmushroom said:
And gaming has lived off gamers for the last twenty years, not the millions of new customers who bought a DS.

What would be "substantial moronic" would be to release a device with a similar price tag to an iPod Touch and have no hard drive, similar graphics, have far, far, far less functionality, but oh wait, this one 3D!

You realize that Nintendo needs to differentiate itself, which is good, but you need to make the next jump and see that offering a handheld with much better graphics is a way of doing this. Nintendo needs to differentiate itself from Apple, and if the cost of doing that is a slightly higher price tag, they'll do it.

I'm not saying that I'm certain to be right and that you're a moron for thinking differently, but completely dismissing the possibility is dumb.

Just got through explaining to you why Nintendo would not do that. They won't so stop bringing it up likes it is a possibility. You also greatly underestimate the power that 3D has over consumers.

And no, making a PSP2 would NOT be a way to differentiate themselves. Regular people really don't give a shit about graphics anymore, and most can't (or don't care to) even recognize the difference.

You do realize Nintendo is the creator of the Wii and DS right? They know how to bring innovation to the market and make it succeed. To act like they would abandon that winning formula is moronic. So I'm not saying your a moron, but your opinion is definitely moronic.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
selig said:
Btw. what is the popular opinion on the possibility of there being a yet unknown, BIG feature of the 3DS? Im not talking about natural upgrades like better online-structure or motion controls like the iphone has had for years. Anyone?

I'm very certain there will be at least one. Similar to the DS when the first initial announcement was dual screens, later followed up by touch screen and microphone at E3.

2Dcube

Chatin said:
The 3DS is absolutely going to be a hot item. It's affordable, 3D technology. 3D is THE biggest thing right now.

If it doesn't really add anything to the experience, and is a mere gimmick, I assure you people will notice and the 3DS will lose its appeal quickly.

I'm confident the 3D functionality allows for new kinds of gameplay. Just like initially with the touch screen / dual screens, there's gotta be more to it.

Chatin

Xbox owners bought 360s. The more impressive graphics did not add anything in a strictly gameplay sense. People bought them anyways. This is the way the industry works, and it's not suffering for it, despite what some naysayers may imply.

The 3DS does not need some innovative gameplay-affecting tech to be worth the upgrade. If it has it, great, but otherwise, people still aren't getting ripped off. It's naive to think that people will suddenly stop making the purchases the way they always have in this industry, simply because the 3DS doesn't redefine gaming. 3D is far and away a notable addition.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
TEN DAYS TILL E3!!!

GET HYPE

78-OMG-A-Branch.jpg

2Dcube

Chatin said:
Xbox owners bought 360s. The more impressive graphics did not add anything in a strictly gameplay sense. People bought them anyways. This is the way the industry works, and it's not suffering for it, despite what some naysayers may imply.

The 3DS does not need some innovative gameplay-affecting tech to be worth the upgrade. If it has it, great, but otherwise, people still aren't getting ripped off. It's naive to think that people will suddenly stop making the purchases the way they always have in this industry, simply because the 3DS doesn't redefine gaming. 3D is far and away a notable addition.

In the end it's about how good the games are. I think if the 3D is just a visual extra the appeal of that will wear off quickly.

I agree Nintendo doesn't need it, it'll sell regardless. But knowing Nintendo, they usually build the experience around the tech and I hope this time again it's more than just a gimmick. We'll be able to do something we didn't think of yet.

BowieZ

Banned
But, I mean, what are you expecting, 2Dcube? You really think there won't be any games made for it that exploit the advantages of better depth of field?

Also, I'm pretty sure that most 3D games will be served well by 3D vision, even if it wasn't built from the ground up with 3D in mind... I don't understand how or why you would be hesitant about it being a "gimmick" when at a base level it will surely help general audiences immerse themselves better in digital representations of 3D worlds.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mutagenic said:
Look at who you quoted first and what you bolded, and the response you gave. It in no way resembles what you're trying to say now.
Chris1964 said:
Mutagenic said:
GBA wasn't hugely successful? Just because it didn't reach DS numbers doesn't mean it wasn't successful. 80 million units is very, very impressive.
Father_Brain said:
GBA was still a hugely successful platform at the time
DS before 3DS comes out>>>GBA before DS comes out

Better now?

camineet

Banned
Rumor: 3DS to be More Powerful Than Wii?
Greg Wampler 6/5/2010, 4:33am Eastern Time

IGN has an article up about the 3DS and what they (think) they know about the Nintendo 3DS. Towards the bottom of the first page, they have a section centered around how powerful the new handheld will be. Here's the quote:

"Several developers that have experienced 3DS in its current form have reported, off the record, that it has processing capabilities that far exceed the Nintendo Wii and bring the device with abilities that are close to HD consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360."

They also mention that reportedly, developers have also said that the 3DS will not be using the NVIDIA Tegra chipset.

I'm not too sure if Nintendo would be willing to put that amount of power in the new handheld because it doesn't really go along with their past strategies. If it is true, E3 couldn't come any sooner.

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1275730400

madara

:lol Thats just great, like expectations are not high enough dreaming of gamecube quality. Now they have to say it equals 360. They sure like gamers to get all frothing and disappointed.

It's not impossible...if it's coming out in 2011, it'd be 5 years after the launch of the HD consoles, probably enough time to get that kind of power (or close to it) down to a more portable form. The time between the PS2 and the PSP was 5 years, for instance.

Even then, though, that sort of gaming device would be expensive, even without the 3D tech they're touting, and Nintendo's always been about putting out consoles that are relatively cheaper. Nintendo could always surprise us, but I doubt we'll be getting graphics on that level. GC at the very least.

Durante

I guess, if it's not entirely made up, it's another instance of the gaming "press" misunderstanding its sources. Unless it uses a Flipper derivative (which I hope it doesn't) 3DS will likely be much closer to 360 and PS3 in graphics processing capabilities (supporting programmable pixel and vertex shaders at least, maybe even unified) than Wii, but similar in power (e.g. fillrate).

I don't expect a HD quality increase. Not because the tech is not there but because this will KILL battery nearly instantly. Even the Wii is @ 20Watts which is WAY too much for a handheld device. Even with tegra or something similar I think the battery is the limiting factor here.

Caesar III said:
I don't expect a HD quality increase. Not because the tech is not there but because this will KILL battery nearly instantly. Even the Wii is @ 20Watts which is WAY too much for a handheld device. Even with tegra or something similar I think the battery is the limiting factor here.

You're underestimating the amout of cash Nintendo has been spending on R&D, they could easily be using quantum computing and optical chips to save power.

How far fetched is it to believe the abilities will be closer to 360 levels? It wouldn't need nearly the same amount of power that the 360 requires due to resolution, right? Not saying we will be playing Oblivion on the 3DS, but being able to produce the "image quality" while maintaining what most DS games have as gameplay isn't completely crazy, is it?

I don't really care in all honesty, but I'm just curious if it is as crazy as its being made out to be...

Caesar III said:
Good point. Wouldn't the 3DS output at a lower level though? Due to the small screen, it can display wii level graphics with much less effort right?

Durante

Graphics Horse said:
I don't mean they're made in house, it's usually a custom design via a third party.
Sure, what I'm saying is that I don't even expect the third party designs to be particularly different from their off-the-shelf parts. People were excited about A4 and it turned out to be a ARM Cortex A8 and SGX 535. I just don't think it's worth it to design custom silicon for such a widely needed purpose as mobile 3D rendering anymore. But I could be wrong.

Graphics Horse said:
You're underestimating the amout of cash Nintendo has been spending on R&D, they could easily be using quantum computing and optical chips to save power.
:lol

selig

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
I'm very certain there will be at least one. Similar to the DS when the first initial announcement was dual screens, later followed up by touch screen and microphone at E3.

Yeah, that´s what I was thinking. Everyone knew about the 2 screens, but then...BAMM...touchscreen, omg! But I have no idea what it could be this time.

madara said:
:lol Thats just great, like expectations are not high enough dreaming of gamecube quality. Now they have to say it equals 360. They sure like gamers to get all frothing and disappointed.
GCN level isn't pie in the sky.

360 level though? Now that's thinking like a crazy person.

selig said:
Yeah, that´s what I was thinking. Everyone knew about the 2 screens, but then...BAMM...touchscreen, omg! But I have no idea what it could be this time.

Pick one or more of the following BAMMS:

BAMM Analog stick!
BAMM Analog buttons!
BAMM Multi touch top screen!
BAMM motion sensors!
BAMM microphone capable of recognising more than blowing and certain colours!

Graphics Horse said:

BAMM Analog stick!
BAMM Analog buttons!
BAMM motion sensors!

Built in crepe maker.

Graphics Horse said:

BAMM Analog stick!
BAMM Analog buttons!
BAMM motion sensors!

3D stylus to make it easier to interact with a 3d world

Durante

abstract alien said:
Good point. Wouldn't the 3DS output at a lower level though? Due to the small screen, it can display wii level graphics with much less effort right?
Actually, if the 854x480 screen rumors are true, it needs to render more pixels for even that one screen than Wii does. And then add 3D and the second screen on top of that, and it would actually require more performance than Wii to achieve comparable graphics. Not that that is an impossible goal.

Durante said:
Actually, if the 854x480 screen rumors are true, it needs to render more pixels for even that one screen than Wii does. And then add 3D and the second screen on top of that, and it would actually require more performance than Wii to achieve comparable graphics. Not that that is an impossible goal.

I was thinking that too, but aren't the 854 x 480 pixels shared between the stereo screens? It's still not far off Wii res though.

Burai

shitonmychest57
madara said:

Kid Icarus 3D launch title confirmed.

Durante

Graphics Horse said:
I was thinking that too, but aren't the 854 x 480 pixels shared between the stereo screens? It's still not far off Wii res though.
Even if that is the case it's actually higher than Wii res (that's 640x480, anamorphic widescreen)

From the start that rumored screen resolution has been higher than I'd expected from a Nintendo device, but maybe it's necessary for the 3D to work.

Luigiv

Graphics Horse said:

BAMM Analog stick!
BAMM Analog buttons!
BAMM motion sensors!
BAMM Sonic Screwdriver....

A man can dream. :(

Taker666

Well since IGN claim the 3DS is far more powerful than the Wii...here's an idea that won't possibly happen..

..the 3DS doubles as a Wii HD upgrader.

You connect your Wii via USB to the 3DS (with the wii basically used as an external DVD drive)...the 3DS reads the data from the Wii..and outputs it in 720p via a HDMI output. :lol

camineet

Banned
More powerful than Wii could mean the resolution is still 480p plus or minus, but geometry & lighting, shaders, etc are far more powerful. It wouldn't surprise me. AMD/ATI could supply a low-end GPU based on the R8xx / HD 5xxx series that blows Flipper/Hollywood (10-11 year old tech) out of the water.

How much do yall think the games will cost? Will Nintendo try to keep it $29.99, and $34.99 for First Party games?

Or do you think we are gonna be paying $40-$50 per game? I really doubt this. Tons of DS are sold because they have cheap startup costs...

camineet said:
More powerful than Wii could mean the resolution is still 480p plus or minus, but geometry & lighting, shaders, etc are far more powerful. It wouldn't surprise me. AMD/ATI could supply a low-end GPU based on the R8xx / HD 5xxx series that blows Flipper/Hollywood (10-11 year old tech) out of the water.

Yeah, a lot of people here can't seem to grasp that. It's not that hard to blow the Wii out of the waters. An ON-BOARD geforce 6015 LE graphics chip can blow the Wii out of the waters. I ran Paraworld at 1024 x 768 at around 30 frames per second with some stuff on medium and high. Paraworld is not a game you'd confused with a GC/Wii game visually.

camineet

Banned
GDGF said:
That's a pretty bold statement there, and I'm one of the biggest proponents for the 3DS on this board. Hope they (IGN) aren't shooting themselves in the foot with that one. I'll be perfectly fine with GCN level hardware, but if IGN is right OMG...

I'd be completely happy with GCN or Wii level hardware (Wii has a 50% plus difference in speed over GCN plus 3.5x the main fast memory 88MB vs 24MB).

Imagine SMG3 on 3DS, OMFG I'm in love already. At least 3DS probably won't be weaker than GCN/Wii. I absolutely do NOT expect 360/PS3 levels of performance.

I'm thinking 3DS uses PowerVR SGX 5xx.

Durante

camineet said:
I'm the first to point out the shortcomings of the decade-old flipper design, but "blows out of the water" may be a bit of an overstatement considering the power budget of a handheld. A mobility HD 5430 requires 7 Watts and has a single (1/20th of a 5870) 16-wide VLIW SIMD unit at 500 Mhz. You could maybe optimize and downclock it further by a bit but I think they'd have to half the SIMD width to get remotely close to the power budget required.

MidnightScott said:
How much do yall think the games will cost? Will Nintendo try to keep it $29.99, and $34.99 for First Party games?

Or do you think we are gonna be paying $40-$50 per game? I really doubt this. Tons of DS are sold because they have cheap startup costs...
IIRC, when the DS first came out, some 3rd party games were actually going for $50.

I can see 3rd parties doing the same thing at first... but I can see games being $40-$45 on the 3DS.

One thing I wonder is if game data will still be saved on cartridge or if it will be saved on the 3DS itself... or both (like, you're given an option).

Why would you do that? said:
IIRC, when the DS first came out, some 3rd party games were actually going for $50.

I can see 3rd parties doing the same thing at first... but I can see games being $40-$45 on the 3DS.

One thing I wonder is if game data will still be saved on cartridge or if it will be saved on the 3DS itself... or both (like, you're given an option).

Probably on the card itself, since memory is pretty cheap and prevents onboard memory from being written to constantly.

Durante

Why would you do that? said:
Intuitively it would make sense to just save on the system, anything that makes the cartridges they sell hundreds of millions of cheaper should be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom