• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
I want Nintendogs 3DS. Having a 3D dog that you can interact with using your stylus on the screen and your fingers in the air (using the camera) would be freaking awesome :D

GET A REAL GODDAMN DOG

what is wrong with people

pestul

Michan said:
fxqjjm.jpg
:lol :lol

This brought me to tears..

Medalion said:
You practically described Kinectimals, albeit more primitive.

No, Kinectimals is crap. Crappy art, no kind of item collecting or exploring/walking mechanic and no physical interaction kill the experience. One of the main reasons why Nintendogs was such a huge success was because you were able to physically interact with the dog (I still love playing tug of war and then spinning the dog around in the air as it hangs onto the rope :lol) and that it's portable.

Seeing Kinectimals just made me want a 3DS Nintendogs. Having the dog being displayed in 3D and being able to "touch" it in thin air would make all the difference! (that and it actually being a well designed game!)

It's the one main currently existing Touch Generations game that would truly benefit the most from being in 3D!

Amir0x said:
GET A REAL GODDAMN DOG

Lol I've already got one (and a cat!) I still wanna see Nintendogs 3DS though!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
GET A REAL GODDAMN DOG

I'd rather people neglect a fake dog than adopt a real one and treat it like shit, or over-pamper it into an obese monstrosity.

These pet games are doing the animal kingdom favours.

Amir0x

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
That only works if it's about Nintencats, dogs are too much work in reality.

:/

Walk the dog a few times a day and feed it. Anyone who is older than ten that wants to play shallow pet sims which can barely approximate even the most basic feeling of companionship that comes from pet ownership is not completely all there.

From an American perspective. I don't know about Japan and their bizarre fascination with stands ins for things.

Amir0x said:
GET A REAL GODDAMN DOG

allergies, costs and commitment of keeping an animal, apartments don't allow them, etc.

that's why virtual pets became popular in the first place

this is especially true in japan since you really don't have yards to keep outdoors animals in

Amir0x said:

Walk the dog a few times a day and feed it. Anyone who is older than ten that wants to play shallow pet sims which can barely approximate even the most basic feeling of companionship that comes from pet ownership is not completely all there.

From an American perspective. I don't know about Japan and their bizarre fascination with stands ins for things.

But but but, you being a graphics (I won't say whore) person has to appreciate the models of the doggies in 3D knowing how much you hate the portable in rendering that dimension.

No????

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:

Japan has a fascination with stupid rat dogs. But most places don't actually allow dogs, which kind of explains the popularity I guess.

Mind you, if I could I would so have a dog right now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
allergies, costs of keeping an animal, apartments don't allow them, etc.

NO DUDE GET A REAL PET FUCKING INTERNET

Amir0x said:

Is there a game that accurately represents how it feels to get angry at what other people want

Because it looks fun but I need to dip my toes in first

Amir0x

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
allergies, costs and commitment of keeping an animal, apartments don't allow them, etc.

this is especially true in japan since you really don't have yards to keep outdoors animals in

Again, if you're allergic to dogs specifically, then find a pet that you are not allergic to. Pet Sims, and bad ones like Nintendogs at that, do absolutely nothing to fill in any measure of what it is like to own a pet. It's bad as a game, naturally, but it's also pointless. If you need pet companionship do not get it from shitty A.I., get it from something you CAN own. Get a fish.

Amir0x said:
Again, if you're allergic to dogs specifically, then find a pet that you are not allergic to. Pet Sims, and bad ones like Nintendogs at that, do absolutely nothing to fill in any measure of what it is like to own a pet. It's bad as a game, naturally, but it's also pointless. If you need pet companionship do not get it from shitty A.I., get it from something you CAN own. Get a fish.

i didn't buy nintendogs

also, getting a fish as a replacement for a dog is dumb, because a fish is a fish. it's a game for children, why do you get upset that they like it

Amir0x

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
i didn't buy nintendogs

also, getting a fish is dumb, because a fish is a fish. it's a game for children, why do you get upset that they like it

I'm not upset at the idea of it existing. Clearly if you're under 10 pet ownership is a responsibility that is for your parents to decide, and so a pet sim is a decent middle road while you wait.

The idea of full grown men jizzing their paints at feeling up a 3D version of a poorly modeled dog flapping about on one of its extremely limited A.I. routines because you threw it a bone is, however, unsettling.

Especially if you have some way to get a dog. But at adulthood, if you don't have a way to get a dog, I can't imagine how a pet sim of ANY type is a reasonable stand in. That's fucking creepy. Like carrying a teddy bear around and calling it a friend. Or one of them disgusting anime jizz pillows I see in pictures around GAF.

Amir0x said:
I'm not upset at the idea of it existing. Clearly if you're under 10 pet ownership is a responsibility that is for your parents to decide, and so a pet sim is a decent middle road while you wait.

The idea of full grown men jizzing their paints at feeling up a 3D version of a poorly modeled dog flapping about on one of its extremely limited A.I. routines because you threw it a bone is, however, unsettling.

Especially if you have some way to get a dog. But at adulthood, if you don't have a way to get a dog, I can't imagine how a pet sim of ANY type is a reasonable stand in. That's fucking creepy. Like carrying a teddy bear around and calling it a friend

why are you assuming that it's meant to be an actual "stand-in," maybe they just think "oh this virtual dog thing is cute" because dogs are cute animals

Kaeru

Banned
Amir0x said:

Japan has petcafes with among other things dogs and cats which you can pet for a reasonable(800 yen and up) fee per hour.
Yes, Japan is god please bow down.

sprsk

Anyway, wait is killing me.

Like, I know Nintendo is mostly going to be casual crap, but E3 Needs some sort of hardcore showing.

Nintendo and Sony is all we got left.

WillyFive

Amir0x said:
Like carrying a teddy bear around and calling it a friend. Fucking creepy EmCee.

As far as your senses would notice, the dog would be just as alive as you are through this message board.

Except the dog would be in 3D.

Why is that Bloomberg article not getting more responses? I thought a Bloomberg article on a product usually makes something 100% confirmed, with the details in the article being true as well.

Twig

Banned
Amir0x said:
What. That's dumb. You can't interact with a fish. You can interact with a shitty AI.

Dumb.

Ashes

Banned
I did wonder a long time ago what kind of a grown up would buy nintendogs, but it never occured to me that it would be creepy. :/

Mudkips

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Now if that effect can be done with the Gary Busey gif on the photo, the thread might be over.

5yf60p.gif

Now someone needs to edit it so that Gary's holding the pic of Reggie zooming in.
Then use this as the Reggie zoom base.

WillyFive

DeathbyVolcano said:
Why is that Bloomberg article not getting more responses? I thought a Bloomberg article on a product usually makes something 100% confirmed, with the details in the article being true as well.

With Nintendo's conference tomorrow, it's kinda pointless reading any news articles on them preceding them.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Amir0x said:

I get the feeling while I was smiling my ass off during the Kinectimals demo presentation this morning you were puking your brains out, right?

i once got three big fat goldfish of different colors and my brother was putting them into the tank and he dropped one and the floor and it fell under my bed and we searched for like a whole minute for it and it was missing scales and we freaked out but it ended up living the longest

well that's my story

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this reeks of making an argument on gut reaction and then just sticking to it for the sake of it rather than conceding that, upon further reflection, the point was kind of poorly conceived

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
DeathbyVolcano said:
Uhh,, wasn't it Bloomberg jpn that years ago started a rumor that Nintendo was going to buy Sega? Or was it Namco?

DeathbyVolcano said:
we wanted to talk about mario games, but amir0x wanted to talk about his puppy simulators

Willy105 said:
With Nintendo's conference tomorrow, it's kinda pointless reading any news articles on them preceding them.

No it's not. As far back as I can remember, Nintendo's new products have had a press release and major news outlets report very specific details of the system the night before or the morning of their conference.

edit: if Bloomberg Japan is indeed not trustworthy, pardon my ignorance. I just thought Bloomberg in general was highly respected.

DeathbyVolcano said:

puppies rule

Amir0x said:

Grown men getting worked up over video games at all is unsettling. And yet, GAF still exists.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Amir0x said:

Sometimes maybe people like to enjoy some kinda-fun things without the responsibility of owning and caring for a real animal. Maybe they want to play with it for a week then be done with it. Unless you endorse the tossing of kittens into the river, perhaps these games serve a purpose.

If someone plays Nintendogs like they'd own a real dog, using it every single day, bonding with the game and forming legitimate emotional attachments, then they are mentally ill.

But it's a game, isn't it. They just want to dick around and say Hooray because that's what you do in a game.

sprsk

DeathbyVolcano said:

Investor speculation though.

DeathbyVolcano said:
No it's not. As far back as I can remember, Nintendo's new products have had a press release and major news outlets report very specific details of the system the night before or the morning of their conference.

edit: if Bloomberg Japan is indeed not trustworthy, pardon my ignorance. I just thought Bloomberg in general was highly respected.
frankly, there's nothing in the article about mario specifically, oddly enough

J-Rock

Banned
Rez said:
this reeks of making an argument on gut reaction and then just sticking to it for the sake of it rather than conceding that, upon further reflection, the point was kind of poorly conceived

Shhhhh...this is getting good.

Amir0x

Banned
Willy105 said:
As far as your senses would notice, the dog would be just as alive as you are through this message board.

Except the dog would be in 3D.

I have a feeling you thought this was a good point. Which is scarier than everything so far.

Twig said:
What. That's dumb. You can't interact with a fish. You can interact with a shitty AI.

Dumb.

Yes you can. In infinitely more complex and varied ways then you can any virtual pet currently on the market, I can assure you.

SkiesofWonder said:
I get the feeling while I was smiling my ass off during the Kinectimals demo presentation this morning you were puking your brains out, right?

yes like I said I'm older than 10.

Vizion28

Banned
With all these Wii Fit and Wii Sports clones I'm kind of being more disinterested in the video game industry. I mean seriously, where is the originality? Hopefully Nintendo will surprise us once again with something fresh and innovative not just with hardware but with software as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom