• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPE

Dogenzaka said:
Reposting my quick concept :p

I think the analog sticks will be the same height so both right and left hand people can play it

Edit: also who else think nintendo might get rid of the d-pad and buttons and just go with analog sticks.

Dogenzaka said:

You have three different-yet-similar card slots on there, having two on the DSi probably already bugs Nintendo. Unless the 3DS media format is significantly different, it'll probably have a combo slot for both 3DS and DS cards, but with some physical difference to the former that won't let them plug into original DS slots.

Edit: I see you left the 3DS card square instead of rounding off the corner like the DS cards, I think the difference would block it from even getting the front of the card in, though.

gerg

upandaway said:
I... I guess, that's a possible route, but that's if they want to market it as another DS iteration. If it's really a whole new handheld, and not just a graphical upgrade (accelerometer/rumble and, in a way, the 3D), why would they want to do that? People who already got one DS, and there are 125 million of them, might look at the new design and immediately write it off because they "already have one of those".

I'm not saying that Nintendo will market the 3DS as "just another DS iteration", but Nintendo would be stupid if they didn't play lip service to one of the most successful gaming brands of recent years.

I'm confident that Nintendo will find plenty of ways to make sure that people recognise that the 3DS isn't just a different form factor.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Kulock said:
You have three different-yet-similar card slots on there, having two on the DSi probably already bugs Nintendo. Unless the 3DS media format is significantly different, it'll probably have a combo slot for both 3DS and DS cards, but with some physical difference to the former that won't let them plug into original DS slots.

I realize that, but the cartridge patent Nintendo passed actually looks quite different from either SD cards or DS cards. And I was lazy and didn't want to create 3 totally different cartridges for the concept, especially when we're not sure exactly what DS3 cartridges would look like.

GBA cartridges looked different from GBC cartridges.

Unless the DS uses a high-end SD card, I'm sure it'll look different too.

But regardless, all speculation.

And yeah, a combo slot would be a good idea (like GBA/GBC slot)

I think the analog sticks will be the same height so both right and left hand people can play it

I wasn't sure, but tried to go with the GameCube design.

Edit: also who else think nintendo might get rid of the d-pad and buttons and just go with analog sticks.

Hell no. Ever. Never ever. 2D games (which Nintendo STILL does aka New Super Mario Bros/Metroid Other M/etc.) are annoying without a d-pad.

LM4sure

Banned
I was going to buy a DSi since my DS is about to crap the bed, but guess I'll hold out for a year! This is going to kick arse!!

Jme

zigg said:
Fourth Storm said:
I'd like to see a mockup that reduces the screen gap while keeping a clamshell design. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how this would be done without using one of those folding OLEDs.
The solution is actually pretty simple—the top screen's bottom edge would extend into the hinge itself, and the bottom's right up flush against the edge of the hinge. It's not enough to eliminate it, but make it "negligible"? Sure.

EDIT: Coupled with a reduction in hinge diameter, I should add.

Terrible mock up using existing mock of DSLite + cut and paste to visualize idea.

23jldav.png

Vinci

Danish
handofg0d said:
Terrible mock up using existing mock of DSLite + cut and paste to visualize idea.

23jldav.png

Definitely like that. I'd tack that onto the design I made earlier if I had the slightest talent for doing such things. :lol

Couldn't they just do away with the d-pad and go analog only? It would open up the design more, and don't give the feel og cramming everything single way of input into a tiny space.

If this thing is going to be playable at E3 in less than three months... there WILL be a leak.

Can't wait to see what this thing looks like.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Vinci said:
Yeah, I liked the idea of having them pass through the shell and be flush on the other side for some reason. No clue why though.
Its a neat idea but would attract dirt like nobodies business.

Vinterbird said:
Couldn't they just do away with the d-pad and go analog only? It would open up the design more, and don't give the feel og cramming everything single way of input into a tiny space.

Maybe, but since they own the D-Pad I think they might feel compelled to use it

Dogenzaka said:
I realize that, but the cartridge patent Nintendo passed actually looks quite different from either SD cards or DS cards. And I was lazy and didn't want to create 3 totally different cartridges for the concept, especially when we're not sure exactly what DS3 cartridges would look like.

GBA cartridges looked different from GBC cartridges.

Unless the DS uses a high-end SD card, I'm sure it'll look different too.

But regardless, all speculation.]
I'm not going out on a limb to say that the 3DS cartridges will be mechanically and electrically similar to DS cartridges. They'll probably support a higher data rate using the same or double the number of pins - change the interface to double inline. The cartridges will have a little physical nub that will prevent them from being inserted fully into an original DS, but the opposite will not be true. There will be one cartridge slot on the 3DS that supports both cartridge types.

Doorman

handofg0d said:

23jldav.png
I see the mock-ups are already making the leap from Wind Waker up to Twilight Princess. Nintendo's next DS is getting more and more powerful AS WE SPEAK!

As for some actual constructive comment, that idea of the lowered top-screen isn't bad, but for some reason I doubt that they'd do that for the risk of the bottom of the screen not being easily visible when you're not looking at the system completely flat. I'm not sure how it goes with the lite or i, but the default angle for the original DS actually has the screens offset at a bit of an angle, so that's something to keep in mind.

Somnid

I'm guessing only one stick and much like D-pad plus stylus now games that use both stick and stylus will be a rarity because it won't work well. Lefties use left side sticks as well so it shouldn't be a problem. They really need to avoid input clutter to keep the barrier low.

Combining the D-pad and stick into a single hybrid control seems like a good idea. It's also got to be low profile to properly sit inside the frame.

Anther thing to take into account is the stick getting in the way of the lefty stylus hand if it sticks out.

It'll be interesting to see how they change the camera. Upping the res would be nice and maybe a video mode. I really like the stereoscopic camera idea. The first consumer level device that could take and display such images would be a hell of a feature.

turnbuckle

bmf said:
That's how I'd do the analog sticks.

I think I'd prefer the analog stick to be sort of the same as the d-pad. An analog directional pad. Basically like a version of this
segasat.jpg

Let the user toggle it from digital to analog via a button or in-game configuration. If that's not a feasible solution, I think I'd alternatively do them the same as you.

Anywho...I'm incredibly excited for the 3DS now. Not even so much because of the 3D, but because Nintendo looks to be pushing the boundaries of what's expected from a portable again while providing good hardware. Gamecube level graphics on such a small device are fine by me.

Etrian Odyssey with 3D FOEs? Awesome.

PSGames said:
I would really love this design but they need to make the hinge more like the HP Mini's where the top screen's bezel drops behind the bottom half of the device. Bringing the screens closer together.

hp-mini-2140_1.jpg

The problem with doing it that way is you'd have to put the L & R buttons somewhere less comfortable. They could chop the sides off the top screen to give your fingers room, but it wouldn't work as well in book form, and I doubt they want to lose that aspect from the DS.

Vinci

Danish
timetokill said:
Maybe, but since they own the D-Pad I think they might feel compelled to use it

Plus, I think the D-Pad is friendlier to the mainstream audience in a way that analog sticks aren't.

Doorman said:
I see the mock-ups are already making the leap from Wind Waker up to Twilight Princess. Nintendo's next DS is getting more and more powerful AS WE SPEAK!

As for some actual constructive comment, that idea of the lowered top-screen isn't bad, but for some reason I doubt that they'd do that for the risk of the bottom of the screen not being easily visible when you're not looking at the system completely flat. I'm not sure how it goes with the lite or i, but the default angle for the original DS actually has the screens offset at a bit of an angle, so that's something to keep in mind.
Twilight Princess can't be run on the gamecube?

Spwn

I just began wanting a Square-Enix 3D game with a visual style similar to The World Ends With You. I really gotta play that game through again.

civilstrife said:
If this thing is going to be playable at E3 in less than three months... there WILL be a leak.

I believe it is a matter of weeks before someone speaks up. The hardware is now official and every journalist with contacts is going to be calling and emailing them for info, and soon rather then later one of them is going to speak about games, hardware specifics and what else they know.

GCX

civilstrife said:

We're talking about Nintendo here. They managed to keep both DS and Wii under wraps (though I think DS's specs were leaked via Nintendo's official developer site).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I said earlier, with ~GCN level power I cant wait to see Capcom's excuse to re-release Resident Evil 4 in 3D.

klier

Doorman said:

Ehm, if it can do Wind Waker, it can do Twilight Princess. Both are GCN games.

Jme

Doorman said:

I know you were kidding but it was a lot easier finding widescreen shots of TP than it was of WW. (Also, both gamecube games)

I'm not an engineer but I think a inset hinge like that could work for seamless screens. But knowing Nintendo they will surprise us all with something genius and simplistic.

Haunted

Flying_Phoenix said:
My internet has been out for the past 2 days.

All can say for this is HOLY SHIT!!!!

This is so typical of Nintendo. They're so weird.

In one way they are by far and wide the most conservative company in the industry. But in another way they are by far and wide the most progressive.

Anyway Day 1 if this is true.
did you miss the official PR from Nintendo in the OP?

EatChildren said:
As I said earlier, with ~GCN level power I cant wait to see Capcom's excuse to re-release Resident Evil 4 in 3D.

I sense a negative tone in your post, and for that, I question you.

Portable Resident Evil 4-3D with all the content from the PC/GCN/Wii/PS2 versions with a few bonus features? Touch screen controls for inventory management? Yes, please.

Jme

Also, I think the headtracking form of 3D will not be the case. Thats a software trick, no real need for a hardware revision, and this is an all new platform after all. Think more in the lines of dual-layered LCD or the parallax filters forms of 3D.

Empty

I'm probably very late to this discussion but it is going to be very hard to make the system work with real analogue sticks while still keeping the clam-shell design that they need for it to be back-compat. I'm quite fond of Vinci's hole based method, with the sticks poking through, and would rather take that hit to the aesthetic design than have them resort to the PSP style nub solution, but i'm not sure if Nintendo would as it could look very clunky.

stilgar

handofg0d said:
Also, I think the headtracking form of 3D will not be the case. Thats a software trick, no real need for a hardware revision, and this is an all new platform after all. Think more in the lines of dual-layered LCD or the parallax filters forms of 3D.

Well, thinking about it ... Post #4850 definitely nailed it. FINALLY!! What have we done during the 4849 stupids previous ones?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Empty said:
I'm probably very late to this discussion but it is going to be very hard to make the system work with real analogue sticks while still keeping the clam-shell design that they need for it to be back-compat. I'm quite fond of Vinci's hole based method, with the sticks poking through, and would rather take that hit to the aesthetic design than have them resort to the PSP style nub solution, but i'm not sure if Nintendo would as it could look very clunky.

anything but that fucking nub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom