• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS / Fall 2010 Conference Thread - Full conference recap in the OP

Massa

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I don't understand this complaint. It varies from a DSL's design in only a handful of ways and is a smaller unit overall. How is it bulky?

The DS Lite is a 5 year old system that looks outdated and has for a while now. The 3DS even looks a bit uglier (in pictures) because of its asymmetrical screens and controls.

Of course I'd love to see it in person, who knows. Looks don't matter that much anyway.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
There is a normal DSi to go along with the DSi LL with the 25th Mario motif.

25thdsi.png

We found it on a Japanese shopping site - Legit!

Source

Londa

Banned
Day one, I can save up for the price. Cell phones and Ipods cost just as much or more and have shittier games (with no 3D).

MNC

So is it going right now? Is it over yet? Does it have to start yet? There's all kinds of trailers but it's not 10PM PST yet

Gravijah

MNC said:
So is it going right now? Is it over yet? Does it have to start yet? There's all kinds of trailers but it's not 10PM PST yet

10 PST was like 7 hours ago. BTW, gaf crashed due to a power outage last night which is why this thread isn't humongous.

Fritz

All I want now is some decent announcements from NoA/NoE regarding Wii games. The thing is dying and NoJ is sitting on a pile of interesting games. Shit, theres first generation stuff I'ld still love to play. Seriously Nintendo

Fritz said:
All I want now is some decent announcements from NoA/NoE regarding Wii games. The thing is dying and NoJ is sitting on a pile of interesting games. Shit, theres first generation stuff I'ld still love to play. Seriously Nintendo

If the Wii dying means Kirby and Donkey Kong, then let that sucker have a slow, painful death.

Haunted

There's a lot to like in both the 3DS and Wii trailer reel.

Wii has a couple more titles left than I thought (if they make it over), and 3DS... well, the launch lineup itself is just crazy.

-KRS-

FUUUUUUUCK I fell asleep and just woke up. I missed all the hilarity in the threads GAF! :(
Oh well, at least all the news are here now. Virtual Console for 3DS blew my mind even though it was kinda expected.

Gravijah

synt4x said:
FUUUUUUUCK I fell asleep and just woke up. I missed all the hilarity in the threads GAF! :(
Oh well, at least all the news are here now. Virtual Console for 3DS blew my mind even though it was kinda expected.

There was no hilarity. The GAFs was down.
Pureauthor said:
USD 300? Fuck that noise.

More likely 249.99. But yes, it still sucks.

mclem

Trip Warhawkins said:
Made a gif with the stock fluctuations during the conference. Pretty clear holders wanted a 2010 launch. Red numbers: hype prior to date announcement (gain). Green numbers: post announcement (loss).

nintystocktransloopcsaf.gif

Hang on, *red* is a profit, *green* is a loss? What crazy colour scheme is this?

mclem

Aad said:
So ¥25000 in Japan, $250 in US, €250 in Europe and £225 in the UK?

If the Wii's a valid benchmark, it was 250 Euros in Europe and £180 in the UK. Exchange rate shifting may have changed that, though.

Wolves Evolve said:
I like how people think they won't buy it at 300. You'll do as you are damn well told!

yeah, it's not like the 3DS will come out next week.
it's plenty of time to save up the cash till release.

I put 10 euros into my pikachu piggy bank every week.

sikkinixx

$250 I will likely bite, even though with a game or two plus tax that's gonna be close to $350... ouch. If its $279 or some bullshit like that I will wait for the eventual 3DSiXLlite which hopefully won't be gross looking.

(seriously... why two colours????)

Gravijah

iamaustrian said:
yeah, it's not like the 3DS will come out next week.
it's plenty of time to save up the cash till release.

I put 10 euros into my pikachu piggy bank every week.

do you really have a pikachu piggy bank

gkryhewy

So looks like 249 in the US, unless the yen weakens measurably over the winter, possibly making 229 doable. 249 is higher than ideal, but they'll be selling as many as they can make over the short run anyway.

Shame about missing Xmas in all territories.

Azure J

Man, last night I thought that 3DS GAF totalled the servers and now I find out that GAF went down because of a power outage? Laaame. :p

Meanwhile, 3DS is king. Holy shit some of last night's announcements were crazy. AND MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3 AHHHHH, FEELS GREAT SON! :D

iceatcs

Power outage? oh dear it is worse timing.
But thanks god I slept, I was thinking to stay up. After these I will have a bad day if I didn't go to sleep.

Shame about high price, I assume 3D screen not that cheap.

deleted

mclem said:
Hang on, *red* is a profit, *green* is a loss? What crazy colour scheme is this?

For you as a buyer, red is higher than the opening price, so you are paying more than you could have a few hours earlyer. Green on the other hand shows that the price is down from the opening so you're paying less than you could.
From a sellers point that doesn't make sense though ...

thats what I make of it

Shanadeus

Banned
Bear said:
For comparison, the Wii also launched at 25,000 yen (~$210 USD at the time). Keep in mind, however, that the yen has gone up in value relative to the US dollar by quite a bit since then.
Exactly, a pricetag of 25000 yen in japan is not equivalent to a pricetag of $298 in the US.
That's not how it works.
We're looking at, based on the price of the current DS models, a price of $229-249/€229-249/£199-229

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AzureJericho said:
Man, last night I thought that 3DS GAF totalled the servers and now I find out that GAF went down because of a power outage? Laaame. :p
3DS GAF overloaded the power circuits obviously.

jarosh

Shanadeus said:
Exactly, a pricetag of 25000 yen in japan is not equivalent to a pricetag of $298 in the US.
That's not how it works.
We're looking at, based on the price of the current DS models, a price of $229-249/€229-249/£199-229
i'll post this again in here:

ds phat @ launch - japan: 15,000 yen ($146.01 on december 2, 2004) / NA: $150

ds lite @ launch - japan: 16,800 yen ($144.36 on march 2, 2006) / NA: $130

dsi @ launch - japan: 18,900 yen ($171.50 on november 1, 2008) / NA: $170

dsi xl @ launch - japan: 20,000 yen ($224.69 on november 21, 2009) / NA: $190

make of it what you will.

Guevara

jarosh said:
i'll post this again in here:

ds phat @ launch - japan: 15,000 yen ($146.01 on december 2, 2004) / NA: $150

ds lite @ launch - japan: 16,800 yen ($144.36 on march 2, 2006) / NA: $130

dsi @ launch - japan: 18,900 yen ($171.50 on november 1, 2008) / NA: $170

dsi xl @ launch - japan: 20,000 yen ($224.69 on november 21, 2009) / NA: $190

make of it what you will.

Lends creedence to $229 in NA

jarosh

Guevara said:
Lends creedence to $229 in NA
more like $250 at the very least. given that 25,000 yen are $300 right now, $250 would already be a $50 difference. most of the NA prices are almost directly converted from their respective yen prices at the time, except for the dsi xl price which is a ~$35 difference. with the 3ds they'd have to go down $70 compared to the yen price to reach $229.

ds phat: + $4
ds lite: - $14
dsi: - $1
dsi xl: - $35

-$35 was the biggest difference at the time. and now you expect them to go with -$70?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I called the $250-300 price point and people in the other thread were freaking out about how "ridiculous" that supposedly was.

Good on Nintendo afaic. More money for them means more ability to continue making great games well into the future. To question Nintendo's business sense at this point is just beyond hilarious.

Day one easily. But then again $250 isn't exactly a life-changing amount for me like I see it is for some apparently. :lol

ASIS

Sgt.Pepper said:
What baffles me is people that were expecting the 199.99$ price tag. Really?
It's not really "that" hard to believe when you "ok" specs and you didn't even know about the other features. Personally I think expecting a $300 price tag is far more ludicrous.

Nintendo-4Life said:
It's not really "that" hard to believe when you "ok" specs and you didn't even know about the other features. Personally I think expecting a $300 price tag is far more ludicrous.
I'm no market expert, but I'm pretty sure hype, marketing and brand also affect the price. Someone who knows about this can correct me if I'm wrong.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sgt.Pepper said:
I'm no market expert, but I'm pretty sure hype, marketing and brand also affect the price. Someone who knows about this can correct me if I'm wrong.
That's exactly the reason why most people didn't expect such a high price for a handheld. The specs just made a lower price a bit more likely, but they're far from being the only reason why (reasonably informed) people were expecting a lower price.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't think they're gonna price it in line with a PS3 in EU to be honest... price perception is everything.
€249 hopefully and €229 would be awesome.

Eric C

IMO, 25000 yen probably means a $250 US price tag not a $300 one. At least I hope.

I hope it doesn't just come with 3D tech demos/mini games. I want a full real game too.

If it's $250, with something like Kid Icarus packed in too. I'd be fine with that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Monocle said:
Ahahaha the Woody banner actually made it into the OP! :lol
And GAF fits perfectly as Xavier considering it was down during the conference. :lol

I am sad that it won't be out in the US first. Guess NoA likes to shaft us! I am not importing, that is ridiculous, especially since it more than likely won't be region free.

Top Bottom