• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Teknoman

Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, it was a launch title in Japan.

Is the soundtrack anything similar to Ridge Racer 6? Or is it something totally original? Hoping its closer to 6 (Floodlight and Galactic Life are engraved in my mind).

Izayoi said:
- Slide pad:

Amazing. Not like the PSP at all. Has just the right amount of give and my thumb never got close to slipping off even once. Very comfy and easy to use, highly precise, and extremely responsive. Worked fantastically for Pilotwings.

- D-Pad:

Clicky and very responsive. Felt way better than my mushy DSLite D-Pad. I have no complaints about the location either. It seems like if I chose to use it for extended periods of time for whatever reason that I would have no problems in doing so.

Great impression!!!
I kinda not used to D-pad position at very first 2 days while playing. Keep moving my thumb on Slide pad while I actually trying to use D-pad. But it is not problem anymore. :)

samoset

Thanks for your detailed impressions Izayoi. I'm really glad that both the d-pad and buttons are better than the DS-Lite as the lite hurts my thumbs after a period of time.

Is the D-pad awkward to reach at all with it being lower than the slide-pad?

Amalthea

Banned
samoset said:
Thanks for your detailed impressions Izayoi. I'm really glad that both the d-pad and buttons are better than the DS-Lite as the lite hurts my thumbs after a period of time.

It's a bit unusual to find it while playing but as soon as your thumb rests upon it doesn't feel awkward.

Izayoi

Banned
samoset said:
Like I said, it's not a problem at all. Had no issues switching between the slide pad and the d-pad during gameplay, and both felt very comfortable while in use.

Chocoboko said:
I keep seeing these posted. Is there a site or something that has a collection of all of these different miis?
Well, I see them all over the place on various threads at 2ch and other imageboards.

mooooose

So if I have a DSi, should I sell it to fund a 3DS? How is the 3DS as a DS player? I'd still have a crappy DS lite if it really sucks, but I looooooooooove the DSi so much. It's definitely MY definitive handheld, so if the 3DS really sucks at playing DS games it might not be worth it...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
mooooose said:
So if I have a DSi, should I sell it to fund a 3DS? How is the 3DS as a DS player? I'd still have a crappy DS lite if it really sucks, but I looooooooooove the DSi so much. It's definitely MY definitive handheld, so if the 3DS really sucks at playing DS games it might not be worth it...
If you have DSiWare it's highly recommended NOT to do this yet. It is uncertain exactly how you are going to be able to transfer DSiWare to 3DS, and thus not entirely certain that you won't need both systems at the same time to do it.

Disguises

Effect said:
I posted this in the other thread but figured it would be good to post here as well. It's the new US TV commercial for Super Street Fighter 4 3DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdLVMdyRNCU
Meh, not too much of a fan of the ad, but love the "let's take this outside" slogan.

EDIT:
marc^o^ said:
Awesome ad!

And the US 3DS TV ad is even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifQOJ2_FIz4
Haha, funny thing is - I like this ad, but don't really like the "Take a look inside slogan". Much prefer "Believe your eyes"

mooooose

borghe said:
If you have DSiWare it's highly recommended NOT to do this yet. It is uncertain exactly how you are going to be able to transfer DSiWare to 3DS, and thus not entirely certain that you won't need both systems at the same time to do it.
I do and I really love most of it but I'd rather have a 3DS and reinvest the $30 or whatever I've put into DSiWare later if it means selling my DSi at a higher value.

I'm mostly concerned with how the 3DS is as a DS player.

daffy

Banned
mooooose said:
Apparently the load times for original DS games increase by about 30% due to emulation :/

Still one of the 3DS' biggest weaknesses IMO, there's a chart on it somewhere I can dig up...

EDIT:
nintendo3dsloadtimes_01694_screen.jpg

It really sucks because I think most of my gaming on 3DS for this entire year will be mostly original DS games. Hopefully it isn't as big a deal as I'm making it but...

FTH said:
Apparently the load times for original DS games increase by about 30% due to emulation :/

Still one of the 3DS' biggest weaknesses IMO, there's a chart on it somewhere I can dig up...

Not the loading times. It's just that the system takes an initial 5-6 seconds to start in DS mode. You know, while it closes the 3DS mode services, etc.

Also, I don't think the games are emulated.

It just take some more seconds to start the DS games, but once you are playing, loading times are exactly the same as the DS.

Edit: Check the chart. The differences are 5 seconds, but it's just the initial start up.

Fernando Rocker said:

If they ran in a hard legacy mode, as with GBA games on DS and GC games on Wii, I don't think it would be possible to implement upscaling, Circle Pad support, or any kind of 3DS menu support. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Load times aren't of much concern. It's just an additional 5 seconds on the startup.

What does concern me are the rough edges on text. It runs at a different resolution to DS games, which means they need to be upscaled. I've heard via Jeremy Parish that this hasn't been handled very well.

daffy

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Not the loading times. It's just that the system takes an initial 5-6 seconds to start in DS mode. You know, while it closes the 3DS mode services, etc.

It just take some more seconds to start the DS games, but once you are playing, loading times are exactly the same as the DS.

Edit: Check the chart. The differences are 5 seconds, but it's just the initial start up.
Oh cool! Thanks for clearing that up. Well then, with that issue gone I don't think the 3DS will have any problem being a perfect DS player :)

Also, the screens are a little crisper on the DSi, simply because they are blown up a little in 3DS' standard viewing mode. You can play games in the original DS resolution by pressing start and select, so its got all bases covered!

FTH said:

EDIT:
nintendo3dsloadtimes_01694_screen.jpg

It really sucks because I think most of my gaming on 3DS for this entire year will be mostly original DS games. Hopefully it isn't as big a deal as I'm making it but...

That's only the system start up time, the game load times are exactly the same (the system takes 5 seconds to start up it's DS mode. Notice how the load time difference is always 5 seconds?)

Those graphs are a load of rubbish.

Cataferal said:
Load times aren't of much concern. It's just an additional 5 seconds on the startup.

What does concern me are the rough edges on text. It runs at a different resolution to DS games, which means they need to be upscaled. I've heard via Jeremy Parish that this hasn't been handled very well.

It's been confirmed you can run in 1:1 mode hasn't it? If upscaling bothers you, that is.

rpmurphy

Gravijah said:
I had a dream a Japanese 3DS arrived at my house... and I couldn't see the 3D. :(
I had a dream that Reggie sneaked in an announcement of Crysis 2 for the 3DS at the E3 presentation. lol

Rich!

DeadRockstar said:
Probably because you're not Japanese. The system is region locked.

So, my eyes are region locked?

I could be from the depths of peru, and I'd still be able to view 3D on a japanese 3DS. I'd just not be able to play PAL games on it.

richisawesome said:
So, my eyes are region locked?

I could be from the depths of peru, and I'd still be able to view 3D on a japanese 3DS. I'd just not be able to play PAL games on it.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke, dawg!

dc89

Nuclear Muffin said:
That's only the system start up time, the game load times are exactly the same (the system takes 5 seconds to start up it's DS mode. Notice how the load time difference is always 5 seconds?)

Plus I'm pretty sure people can wait a few extra seconds in the grand scheme of things.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
DeadRockstar said:
It's been confirmed you can run in 1:1 mode hasn't it? If upscaling bothers you, that is.
That's my question. Is the upscaling algorithm bothering any current 3DS owners?

1:1 mode is appreciated, but even judging from Parish's videos I can see it will be too small to play certain games on, and a hassle to initiate every time with the specific button-hold. It runs at 2/3rds of the DSi's screen size, which could make puzzle titles that demand pinpoint accuracy, like Picross 3D or Slitherlink, a logistical nightmare to play.

Any first-hand impressions on this?

Cataferal said:
1:1 mode is appreciated, but even judging from Parish's videos I can see it will be too small to play certain games on, and a hassle to initiate every time with the specific button-hold. It runs at 2/3rds of the DSi's screen size, which could make puzzle titles that demand pinpoint accuracy, like Picross 3D or Slitherlink, a logistical nightmare to play.

Any first-hand impressions on this?
Not a firsthand impression, but if my math is right the image would be more like 3/4 a DSi screen if measuring width, height, or diagonal.

EDIT: Or 4/5 a DS/DSL screen while we're at it.

The complaints of short Pilotwings clear time are null to me because the previous Pilotwings could easily be cleared in a few hours and I fucking loved those games. They have a ton of replay value.

Father_Brain said:
If they ran in a hard legacy mode, as with GBA games on DS and GC games on Wii, I don't think it would be possible to implement upscaling, Circle Pad support, or any kind of 3DS menu support. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.
I can see what you're thinking, but it's possible to add extra features to a purely hardware mode. I mean, look at the old PS3s which have PS2 hardware in it... or better yet, GBAs with GBC hardware in it (yet you can use the L and R buttons to scale the screen). Or with the DS, hacks allow for screen borders around GBA games, or you can choose the GBA screen...

poweld

JoshuaJSlone said:
Not a firsthand impression, but if my math is right the image would be more like 3/4 a DSi screen if measuring width, height, or diagonal.

EDIT: Or 4/5 a DS/DSL screen while we're at it.
You're not taking into account that the pixel density of the 3DS is greater than that of the DS.

Teknoman

Does Super Street Fighter IV 3D have all the character themes from the original SSFIV? Or did they just fall back to only have stage themes again?

BooJoh

Nuclear Muffin said:

That's what I'm thinking. The 3DS takes 5 seconds or so to power up. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm planning on mostly keeping my 3DS in sleep mode as Nintendo intended to be done, so system boot times are moot.

Glix

borghe said:

Well it depends. I'm afraid that DSI prices will plummet once the 3DS is out. I only have 10-15 bucks worth of DSIware, and decided that I'd rather sell it now for good money, then wait just to get my 10-15 bucks worth, and sell the system for crap money and then actually end up down money for the transaction.

Actually the biggest reason why I would keep the dsi is to xfer pokemon without having to make my buddy come over.

Glix

Gravijah said:
I had a dream a Japanese 3DS arrived at my house... and I couldn't see the 3D. :(

HOLY SHIT! I had an ex-girlfriend dream last night, followed by a dream where I got my 3DS and couldn't see the 3D!!!!

all my friends think I'm nuts, I'm glad I found the GAF!

Hivemind for life!!

Teknoman said:
Does Super Street Fighter IV 3D have all the character themes from the original SSFIV? Or did they just fall back to only have stage themes again?
Themes are still there. It's exactly the same as the console versions where you can switch it to Arranged BGMs.

FTH said:

EDIT: http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2011/61/nintendo3dsloadtimes_01694_screen.jpg[IMG]

It really sucks because I think most of my gaming on 3DS for this entire year will be mostly original DS games. Hopefully it isn't as big a deal as I'm making it but...[/QUOTE]
Noooo! I had a DS Lite that I traded in towards the 3DS. :( I may have to pick another one up now.

Top Bottom