• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kinspiracy said:
The biggest issue I have is that the main gimmick gets in the way of minor gimmicks that I want to see used a lot (gyro and accelerometer). I imagine maintaing a good view of the 3D images is hard when you're twisting and turning the device.

When the DS was first out, the main gimmick (two screens!) got in the way of things, with everyone shoe-horning DS into everything. But it calmed down later on.

yankee666

Smiles and Cries said:
these Hong Kong sales make it on Media Create charts or no?

they look like Japanese systems to me

Those are Japanese systems and Japanese games, i dont belive that those systems make it on MC since Mc ranks sales from sytems/games bought from japanese retail stores

neo2046

Smiles and Cries said:
these Hong Kong sales make it on Media Create charts or no?

they look like Japanese systems to me

never
both Famitsu and MC take the data from their own selected gameshops in Japan

Do the youtube videos have footage of a finalized version of ss4? If so can anyone confirm if the background have objects that move, or just stuck? Sorry I'm at class so I can't watch anything.

Fernando Rocker said:
I still have a few doubts...

1. - Is there going to be DLC? I'm not talking about 3DSWare games or Virtual Console games, but add-ons for full games.

2. - Any info about patching games?

3. - I know the new Fried Codes system is better (just one code)... I really don't mind, but... do the system allows for friend requests? I think that's the most important thing. I mean... I really don't mind the codes. What I don't like about the DS and Wii is that you don't get any kind of notification if anyone adds you.

The friends lists lets you get friend requests, see what others are playing, jump in to play with them etc. It's supposedly approximately 3434978534785623487563485234523645,13435 times better than on Wii/DS.

Ramenman

Why won't any of those unpacking vids play around with the AR cards dammit ! D:

We don't need to see games we've already seen, especially since we can't see the 3D...

For anyone who gets it can they see if DS games work with the activity app? Tracking my playtime is one of my favorite things to do on Wii and now its a built in feature! DS games probably won't work but it would be cool if they did.

Just saw 3DS config menu, there will be a selection that able to transfer DSi setting and DSiware to 3DS. :)

edit:
VOOK said:
If you tap it though it just says 'will be available with a system update'. I tried ;)

0000477384.JPG

0000477390.JPG

0000477377.JPG

0000477379.JPG

0000477426.JPG

VOOK said:
That is awesome.

Indeed - hopefully more publishers will make smart use of the new packaging design to do fun things like this.

EDIT:

And I see that the user who took the photos above has it set to display like the DSi, so that's another option for presenting the Home menu.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

Dual sided print on the insert covers is looking pretty nice. Nice enough to distract obsessives from remembering that the cases are eco-friendly and cheap now

(rip sonic-man)

MatthewB92 said:
So are all 3DS cards white or is that only for Nintendos+Cats?

I expect they'll all be white. Together with the L-tab it'll be a quick visual identifier to differentiate DS and 3DS cards.

Amir0x

Banned
Izayoi said:
What games aside from Dead of Alive have shown a gameplay benefit from turning off 3D?

You mean like 60fps? Street Fighter IV also gets a benefit in non-3D mode. I am sure there are also tons of games that receive as yet uncommented on benefits when the mode is shut off. But, I don't like the pop in your face 3D as a rule, and it's distracting and has other downsides besides just impacting the performance of a game (illusion completely falls apart with even the slightest viewing angle; 3D wildly varies in terms of impact; headache inducing to look between 3D screen and non-3D screen since it's a dual screen system) , so I'm turning it off because it's retarded.

gkryhewy

Amir0x said:
You mean like 60fps? Street Fighter IV also gets a benefit in non-3D mode. I am sure there are also tons of games that receive as yet uncommented on benefits when the mode is shut off. But, I don't like the pop in your face 3D as a rule, and it's distracting and has other downsides besides just impacting the performance of a game (illusion completely falls apart with even the slightest viewing angle; 3D wildly varies in terms of impact; headache inducing to look between 3D screen and non-3D screen since it's a dual screen system) , so I'm turning it off because it's retarded.

This post is like a greatest hits of FUD.

Amir0x

Banned
gkryhewy said:
This post is like a greatest hits of FUD.

There's no fear, uncertainty OR doubt - only facts. i am 100% sure as to the benefits and drawbacks of 3DS autostereoscopic 3D and am 100% sure as to how I'll be dealing with it. Your mileage may vary.

3DS is going to have to have good games, not gimmicks, to be a worthwhile platform.

gkryhewy

Amir0x said:
There's no fear, uncertainty OR doubt - only facts. i am 100% sure as to the benefits and drawbacks of 3DS autostereoscopic 3D and am 100% sure as to how I'll be dealing with it. Your mileage may vary.

3DS is going to have to have good games, not gimmicks, to be a worthwhile platform.

You make many declarative statements about things for which real impressions have been mixed or missing. I think it's just your writing style. Agreed on your last point.

It all depends on the game in the end. Like Amirox posted there are games that will have better performance (if that's your priority i.e. 60 vs 30fps) with 3D off but I'm sure there will be games that use it well and the best way to play will be to have it on, like Paper Mario will be I bet.

Then we have games like Monkey Ball where the benefit for 3D being turned off is being able to play the game, because it makes no sense otherwise, lol.

Amir0x

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
It all depends on the game in the end. Like Amirox posted there are games that will have better performance (if that's your priority i.e. 60 vs 30fps) with 3D off but I'm sure there will be games that use it well and the best way to play will be to have it on, like Paper Mario will be I bet.

Then we have games like Monkey Ball where the benefit for 3D being turned off is being able to play the game, because it makes no sense otherwise, lol.

hm, what's wrong with Monkey Ball 3D?

Anyone know when James Noir is releasing? Seems like it might be a neat puzzle game while I wait for something... if it doesn't release too long after launch it might tide me over

- J - D -

Amir0x said:

What? Framerate in SSFIV 3D stays locked whether in 3D mode or not.

Amir0x said:
hm, what's wrong with Monkey Ball 3D?

For obvious reasons, the 3D is physically incompatible with tilt controls. However, it also supports the circle pad, which not everyone seems to be aware of.

Amir0x said:
You mean like 60fps? Street Fighter IV also gets a benefit in non-3D mode.

Super Street Fighter IV has no difference between 2D and 3D.

As for Monkey Ball, I much preferred the joystick controls of the original to the motion controls of more recent ones, so that one's perfectly fine to play in 3D. And it technically has no difference - turning off 3D doesn't give you access to motion controls, they foolishly let you choose the controls no matter whether 3D is on or not.

Amir0x

Banned
WonkersTHEWatilla said:
What? Framerate in SSFIV 3D stays locked whether in 3D mode or not.

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/3ds/action/superstreetfighteriv3dedition/news.html?sid=6286481&mode=previews]Gamespot[/url] said:
When playing multiplayer matches, you can use the camera perspective you prefer, so one player might be using the 3D view, while the other can use the standard view. It's worth mentioning that both perspectives use the 3DS's 3D effect, which can be turned off completely for both views by using the slider. If you do turn off the 3D effect, the frame rate will get a little extra boost, but even with 3D turned on, the frame rate is fine.

Although, I wasn't talking about the framerate - I THINK it was Street Fighter, but I remember some game talking about reducing jaggies when out of 3D. I remember commenting in the thread where it was discussed.

- J - D -

I remember a lot of us were questioning this a few days ago when conflicting reports abound that SSFIV didn't run at 60fps.

But you can see SSFIV being played on a retail 3DS in these unboxing vids neo posted earlier today (first vid). Looks like a solid 60fps and they have 3D turned on, man.

edit: Here, time marked for easy viewing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSCv0e2JAEA&feature=player_detailpage#t=287s

neo2046 said:
Unboxing and gameplay video from people who got the machine in Hong Kong
The players are talking in Cantonese, but you can ignore what they say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSCv0e2JAEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G5DCAs79c4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWWngfTF24M

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
So many mixed things regarding the framerate in SSFIV

gaffers that played the game at prior events have said the framerate didn't change between 2D or 3D.

gkryhewy said:
You make many declarative statements about things for which real impressions have been mixed or missing. I think it's just your writing style. Agreed on your last point.
yep. Ami's posts are 100% opinion. learn and love.

Nintendo are letting devs use the free'd up over head from disabling 3D however they choose. they aren't even requiring devs develop games in 3D, so if you are anti 3D (for some reason that boggles my mind) you aren't really losing out with the 3DS. you'll get better battery life AND in many cases the overhead will be turned into something you like, like 2x AA or more FPS.

Serenade said:

gaffers that played the game at prior events have said the framerate didn't change between 2D or 3D.
those gaffers weren't Dark10x, so i can't really take their opinion on such things with any conviction. many gaffers didn't notice anything up with the frame rate in Castlevania.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
wonderfuldays said:
Just saw 3DS config menu, there will be a selection that able to transfer DSi setting and DSiware to 3DS. :)

If you tap it though it just says 'will be available with a system update'. I tried ;)

-Pyromaniac- said:
Should have clarified, it's only fucked if you use the gyro. I'm assuming you don't have to, or at least I hope so.

The gyro is fine, in 2D. The Slide pad controls work excellent in 3D. No need to worry.

DarthWufei said:
Fixed. There's not much to love. :p You just learn not to argue!
what? i haven't learnt any such thing. i still debate things with him all the time. he just doesn't sugar coat his opinion. keeps things interesting if you ask me.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Should have clarified, it's only fucked if you use the gyro. I'm assuming you don't have to, or at least I hope so.
you don't have to, and to be honest, i can't see why you'd want to. the best monkey ball games are played with an analog stick... and i say this as a massive believer in motion controls.

Any confirmation on the battery life of the 3DS? This is from someone on Beyond3d.

My friend at nintendo world told me he got almost 7 hours of battery life with the 3ds set to the second highest brightness and 3D maxed.

7 hours seems good to me .

Not a rumor , my buddy works at nintendo world (its nintendo's store in NYC ) and they were given 3ds units to test . They have 2 units and they aren't allowed out of the store. He was using one of the AR games to test the battery life

- J - D -

Serenade said:

But you can see the final game played in those vids above. Compared that with the console version of SSFIV and I couldn't see a noticeable difference in fps. If there is a difference, it's pretty marginal.

seady

plagiarize said:
you don't have to, and to be honest, i can't see why you'd want to. the best monkey ball games are played with an analog stick... and i say this as a massive believer in motion controls.

I think people would view it differently if the original Super Monkey Ball was motion controlled.

Some would say it loses the soul of the original, while others would say it messes up the original controls.

For example, if the original Samba de Amigo was played with buttons, I don't think people would ever accepted playing the game with maracas if there was a sequel.

seady said:
I think people would view it differently if the original Super Monkey Ball was motion controlled.

Some would say it loses the soul of the original, while others would say it messes up the original controls.
The original Super Monkey Ball was controlled with a banana.
1086609397.jpg

Amir0x said:
Although, I wasn't talking about the framerate - I THINK it was Street Fighter, but I remember some game talking about reducing jaggies when out of 3D. I remember commenting in the thread where it was discussed.
That was Resident Evil: Revelations, they turn on anti-aliasing in 2D (the developers claimed that they didn't need AA in 3D).

Top Bottom