• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
perfectchaos007 said:
Gahh I want to see some gameplay of games! I can only re-watch the kid icarus video so many times!

But I can't help but think that Nintendo may not want developers, or themselves, to showcase gameplay in videos because it's not the full 3D experience until you watch it on the 3DS. So Nintendo could tell developers to promote their games with an abstract video like the Reggie/Miyamoto/Iwata 3DS promo video. IDK I hope not.
Perhaps there isn't much in the way of gameplay just yet?most of the demos were tech demos, and the release list was full of generic titles. Just feels early to me (which unfortunately makes me think next year for launch, even in Japan)

I agree though. Ignoring the 3D for a moment, people will want to know what the games look like, there will need to be trailers, screenshots etc. They might not be 3D though

mrklaw said:
Perhaps there isn't much in the way of gameplay just yet?most of the demos were tech demos, and the release list was full of generic titles. Just feels early to me (which unfortunately makes me think next year for launch, even in Japan)
But don't forget the latest it could possibly be released in ALL major markets is March 2011, a date Nintendo has brought up and clarified over and over and over again.

Thing you have to realize, those weren't just normal "tech demos". Tech demos are usually one of two things - an interactive toy/very small playable level/minigame, or a single scene showing something amazing and nothing ordinary. But a lot of what was at E3 wasn't either of those - they were very long non-interactive sequences showing real gameplay (with just enough interactivity to show they weren't just videos).

My theory is, developers, including Nintendo, didn't have time to make a real E3 demo and still have a decent game available at system launch. It takes time to make something special for E3, time which cuts into the rest of the development time of the real game. So Nintendo let developers make these game "walkthroughs" if they wanted - just record the motions of one of the testers playing the game, slap a bottom screen picture on it, maybe add some simple camera motions and that's it.

Having said that, there were some actual normal E3 demos there - like the dinosaur fighting game, or Nintendo's submarine game, or Nintendogs.

Luigiv

-WindYoshi- said:
Just give me PSO I & II 3D, and FFXI 3DS Version and i'll be content for the whole generation!
Why Just episodes I & II? It should have all the extra Blue Burst content too.

Gravijah

Luigiv said:
Why Just episodes I & II? It should have all the extra Blue Burst content too.

I just recently downloaded Blue Burst and I can't actually figure out how to "play" the game. I'm stuck in the lobby! And then some dude in a chair started moving around, and it freaked me out.

Luigiv

Gravijah said:
I just recently downloaded Blue Burst and I can't actually figure out how to "play" the game. I'm stuck in the lobby! And then some dude in a chair started moving around, and it freaked me out.
:lol I just downloaded it recently too (like last week). You're playing on SCHTHACK private server right? In that case you just need to move up to the counter and press enter after that you can pretty much figure out the rest yourself. If you want to solo you just need to select the solo mode option from the party creation screen.

Gravijah

Luigiv said:
:lol I just downloaded it recently too (like last week). You're playing on SCHTHACK private server right? In that case you just need to move up to the counter and press enter after that you can pretty much figure out the rest yourself. If you want to solo you just need to select the solo mode option from the party creation screen.

Yeah, I'm there. Gotta create a solo party, huh? Makes sense. Thanks!

Some stuff from Nintendo Power:

Kid Icarus: Uprising
-Many different weapons
-Pit has a casual attitude
-Sakurai says a there will be a good number of "additional features and attractions"
-Hopes to have the game out close to, if not at 3DS launch

Paper Mario 3DS
-New Screens
-Decals play a big part in the game

Interview with Hideki Konno
-He was recruited to design the next handheld
-Miyamoto wanted the first Nintendogs to have 20 different versions so that the buyer would experience what it would be like to get a dog from a pet store
-Won't confirm that DSiWare will be transferrable, says Nintendo will take care of the consumers and respond to how they feel
-A chance there will be a Luigi's Mansion sequel with 3DS

speaking of kingdom hearts 3DS, will it be a new game, or just a port of the PS2 ones? cause i am playing it right now and want to know.
controls are pretty easy to do on a 3DS if they copy the PS2 version controls.

i hate talking about the 3DS cause its so far away and the details are so few :( :lol

friskykillface said:
speaking of kingdom hearts 3DS, will it be a new game, or just a port of the PS2 ones? cause i am playing it right now and want to know.

i hate talking about the 3DS cause its so far away and the details are so few :( :lol
It's a new game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AceBandage said:
Some stuff from Nintendo Power:

Interview with Hideki Konno

-Won't confirm that DSiWare will be transferrable, says Nintendo will take care of the consumers and respond to how they feel

I don't believe this for a second. If this was the case, they'd have an entirely different system for VC/WiiWare.

Hopefully they're developing something new.

Easy_D said:
Luigi's Mansion sequel! YES PLEASE. I would buy it and I would cherish it! It would be so good.

This. I would rather have a Wii sequel but I will gladly take anything that has to do with Luigi's Mansion! :D

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Plinko said:
I don't believe this for a second. If this was the case, they'd have an entirely different system for VC/WiiWare.

God forbid they actually learn something from the way people reacted to Wii's online capabilities.

Plinko said:

Well you act like they're able to change their entire online system on current gen systems...obviously, any drastic change (since that's the only type that would matter) would take place with their next gen systems. The fact that they're acknowledged the issues with their current online is primising

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Gravijah said:

Luigiv said:

IF you two check back in this thread let me know if either of you would like to play together. I got a character in the 80s I think. I randomly play from time to time, but haven't gotten crazy hardcore like I did with the cube version. Still would love to hook up and play with other GAFers even if you are a lower level character!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jump_button said:
Swap your Stars for Nintendo Points at the Nintendo Points will get me to care about any trophy/achievement system

This will never happen because it offers the largest discounts to the people who least need discounts to get them to participate in the service.

friskykillface said:

So far away? lol, we dont even know the release date.

Gravijah

Brettison said:
IF you two check back in this thread let me know if either of you would like to play together. I got a character in the 80s I think. I randomly play from time to time, but haven't gotten crazy hardcore like I did with the cube version. Still would love to hook up and play with other GAFers even if you are a lower level character!

I plan on jumping into it when I get comfortable and figure everything out, and once I get finished with some games. Do you know if you can use a controller to play the game? Haven't looked through all the FAQs yet.

ILikeFeet

Banned
AceBandage said:
I don't see why they wouldn't be.
That's easily doable from what we know of the 3DS's graphics capabilities.

4823235205_6da247bc31_d.jpg

though I doubt many games will look that good (for the first couple of years anyway)

Luigiv

ILikeFeet said:
4823235205_6da247bc31_d.jpg

though I doubt many games will look that good (for the first couple of years anyway)
Of course they won't. The only reason those demos look so good is because there's absolutely nothing going on in them. Tiny and/or featureless environment, Few character models, limited camera movement, no game logic. In that Link demo, all the systems poly pushing power is going just to render him. In a real game, the devs wouldn't be able to afford spending that many polygons on just one character.

Luigiv said:
Of course they won't.

Literally every system ever that's had before-release tech demos shown off has surpassed them in real games within two to three years of release. By 2013 we'll have 3DS games that look better in-game than these demos.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
charlequin said:
Literally every system ever that's had before-release tech demos shown off has surpassed them in real games within two to three years of release. By 2013 we'll have 3DS games that look better in-game than these demos.
Those are words that I really like to hear considering the current tech demos look fantastic already :D

Serenade said:

It's probably the SSBB model (all of the demos were based on Wii games, so they probably just ripped the models and plonked them on the 3DS)

It's very impressive that they can actually use Wii assets directly without modification! (yeah I know that the environments are basic and there's nothing else being processed in the background but it's still bloody impressive!)

Mr. Wonderful said:
No joke. Finally, we'll have a handheld Nintendo system where the 3D graphics look nothing but perfect.

Well lets not get carried away here. Blocky fingers, jaggies, murky waters, keeps this system in check, lol, unless ones sees imperfection as the essence of perfection, lol.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Gravijah said:
I plan on jumping into it when I get comfortable and figure everything out, and once I get finished with some games. Do you know if you can use a controller to play the game? Haven't looked through all the FAQs yet.

Yes I use my controller to play and my keyboard for typing/menu shit.

jrricky

Banned
friskykillface said:

Its going to be Kingdom Hearts 3. :3

Luigiv

charlequin said:
Well yes and no. On the whole, yes. I doubt those panoramas are pushing the 3DS to it's limits too (hell, there isn't even any shaders in them) but will we ever see character models that detailed (In terms of Polys and textures at least) in an actual 3DS game? No, the system simply doesn't have the resources to spare.

It's like how we never got faces anywhere near this detailed in an actual PS2 game.
2sbkcv9.jpg

kaib6q.jpg

30jij2w.jpg

It's not quite the same situation, though. If there were ever a PS2 game that was all about rotating giant detailed heads, maybe it would look pretty similar. However, we can be pretty sure there will be 3DS games that put us in Kingdom Hearts / Resident Evil / Metal Gear Solid gameplay situations.

Eteric Rice

I think the best way to describe it would be PS2/Gamecube level graphics, with modern shader effects.

Which in reality should look really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom