• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Surgeon Rocket said:
Huh? I don't see a white LED on the hinge...

blue.jpg

look on the right hinge

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
AranhaHunter said:
Yeah I've heard everything, I think the MGS3 3DS looks impressive but not better than the PS2 version like some claimed. Either way if it's "just" PSP levels, I'm okay with that.

Seems like everyone here is agreeing price will be between U$150-U$200 so let me ask a question, what are the chances the big N will price it above that for maximum profits, maybe U$250-U$300? The reason I ask is because of the Wii. The Wii was priced at U$250 and was constantly selling out until 2009 and IMO it would've sold just the same if it was priced at U$300 so Nintendo probably regrets not launching the Wii at U$300 which would've netted them a couple of extra billion in profits.

Nintendo is a business and a smart company and like any good business they'll try to maximize profits, why sell a product for U$200 if you can sell it for U$300? Based on the launch lineup, the software I've seen, 3rd party support, the spec list, everyone's great impressions and giddiness when they play the 3DS, the rumored features (persistent online, trophies, 5.1 audio), etc and I think the 3DS will sell out even at U$300. I'm not saying or suggesting that's what Nintendo will price it at, I'm just saying they'll look and survey the situation and see where they can price it at highest price and still keep selling out.

Nintendo also called out Apple and said they wanted to cut into some of that. You don't do that at $300 when the entry level ipod touches sell at $200. Sure you can get a larger capacity one for $300, but $200 is the initial price point. It'll be no different when the new models hit in Sept too. $300 3DS or $200 ipod touch HD?

bridegur

Luigison said:
Yes, they've partnered with BP. Seriously though, a video recording can't capture the 3D affect.

You're kidding! Clearly I'm not expecting that, but the MGS recording floating around doesn't look so bad. I'd just like to see some actual gameplay of what they have to offer.

Vanillalite

WowBaby said:
I predict November 21, 2010 US release.

I'd like to think that, but that's what 5 months away? I think we'd have more real deal playable software rather than these video demo setups.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Brettison said:
I'd like to think that, but that's what 5 months away? I think we'd have more real deal playable software rather than these video demo setups.
Yeah, but the lineup at E3 2004 for Nintendo DS was just as scant as we're seeing this week with 3DS. THe launch software for DS was pretty thin, as I remember.

Vanillalite

dallow_bg said:
Did they cancel their March 2011 date or something?

I know people still don't understand this so I'll be cool.

The initial 3DS announcement was a financial press release. They just said it would be out in this fiscal year for them which ends at the end of March 2k11 (fiscal years don't have to match up with our actual calendar in months/years).

Vanillalite

Gahiggidy said:
Yeah, but the lineup at E3 2004 for Nintendo DS was just as scant as we're seeing this week with 3DS. THe launch software for DS was pretty thin, as I remember.

True, but wouldn't that be totally contrary to their conference where they expressed week initial software lineups on the DS and Wii, but this time around it would be different?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Regardless of release date, Nintendo has a problem they need to address, and very soon. This problem is producing enough consoles for launch.

The consoles could be launched any time, it will be a massive hit on all levels. The problem is meeting demand, which will outpace supply for a very long time. This will be the Wii, but a couple of notches higher in insane demand.

FYI, I predict a $189.99 launch for the 3DS. Since the 3DS will sell like wildfire, the console will likely NEVER ever budge from that price point.

Gravijah

Hcoregamer00 said:
Regardless of release date, Nintendo has a problem they need to address, and very soon. This problem is producing enough consoles for launch.

The consoles could be launched any time, it will be a massive hit on all levels. The problem is meeting demand, which will outpace supply for a very long time. This will be the Wii, but a couple of notches higher in insane demand.

FYI, I predict a $189.99 launch for the 3DS. Since the 3DS will sell like wildfire, the console will likely NEVER ever budge from that price point.

I'm going to camp for the 3DS, and I have never camped for a system. Ever.

Shit is huge to me.

linsivvi

Gahiggidy said:

I remember I bought it for Mario 64, and Mario Kart wasn't available until a month or two after. I'd expect the Ocarina of Time remake as the launch game.

Gravijah

linsivvi said:
I remember I bought it for Mario 64, and Mario Kart wasn't available until a month or two after. I'd expect the Ocarina of Time remake as the launch game.

Mario Kart DS didn't come out until a year later, I thought?

VegaShinra

Hcoregamer00 said:

I can see that for sure and you know Nintendo will do some kind of pack-in with the 3DS. A compilation of demos to show the 3D or something will present with the system. The second pre-orders open online or in-store, I'm doing it.

Hcoregamer00

Gravijah said:
I'm going to camp for the 3DS, and I have never camped for a system. Ever.

Shit is huge to me.

Same here, I think the 3DS will be one of the greatest consoles ever made. It is going to have a game lineup that will be one of the most impressive that we have ever seen in the gaming world. I am not really down with the 3D display until I see it, but the fact that it has amazing graphics, sounds, and great battery life is enough to win me over.

Heck, the PS3 and the 360 may be the last home consoles I ever buy because the 3DS will give me all the games I will ever need.

Every system launch has been getting closer and closer between japanese and american dates until finally in 04, when the DS finally came out in the US first, followed by the Wii.

Since then, every DS revision has come out in japan first, while the US gets them at minimum, 3 months later.

Because of this it seems really hard to predict whether it will come out here this year, unless Nintendo nails down the hardware early and produces a shit ton of them. The DS isnt like the Wii in japan and could use a kick start which would prioritize that territory. Same thing here, the DS is still doing great, the wii less so but still well.

All this taken into account, i predict the 3DS will definitely launch first in Europe.
lol

Anyway, is it true developers were told to aim for an October release? Is that the latest scuttlebutt?

Hcoregamer00

linsivvi said:
Yes you're right. It was so long ago that I couldn't remember any more. The launch lineup was very thin though.

The difference compared to the DS is that I believe that the 3DS will have very strong 3rd party support from the outset. Even if the 3DS launch is light, you can bet that by the time the console hits a year old it probably has a better game linuep than the DS in its first 3 years.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Every system launch has been getting closer and closer between japanese and american dates until finally in 04, when the DS finally came out in the US first, followed by the Wii.

Since then, every DS revision has come out in japan first, while the US gets them at minimum, 3 months later.

Because of this it seems really hard to predict whether it will come out here this year, unless Nintendo nails down the hardware early and produces a shit ton of them. The DS isnt like the Wii in japan and could use a kick start which would prioritize that territory. Same thing here, the DS is still doing great, the wii less so but still well.

All this taken into account, i predict the 3DS will definitely launch first in Europe.
lol

Anyway, is it true developers were told to aim for an October release? Is that the latest scuttlebutt?

The DS is doing very well in the United States, I bet it will get the last launch.

With that said, hopefully they have the units available because it will be INSANE. We Americans love our toys, and the 3DS will be the gaming darling for a long time.

Hex

Banned
You would think that they would not want to wait too long, because while DS and DSi sales are strong like bull you have to imagine that sales will slow because people will hold off of buying one now that they know that the 3DS is coming.
I am genuinely surprised that there was no date.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Brettison said:
I know people still don't understand this so I'll be cool.

The initial 3DS announcement was a financial press release. They just said it would be out in this fiscal year for them which ends at the end of March 2k11 (fiscal years don't have to match up with our actual calendar in months/years).
Thanks for being cool.

linsivvi

Hcoregamer00 said:
The difference compared to the DS is that I believe that the 3DS will have very strong 3rd party support from the outset. Even if the 3DS launch is light, you can bet that by the time the console hits a year old it probably has a better game linuep than the DS in its first 3 years.

I hope you're right. But then most 3rd party games in the 1st year of a system are usually the weakest as devs rush the games to the market. So I actually hope those big games in the 3rd party list don't come out too soon.

carlo6529

It's crazy, there is already a MGS game, RE game and now a KH game confirmed for 3DS. Not to mention everything Nintendo has coming out for it. Only a matter of time until FF's and DQ titles get announced for it.

Wonder how the West will respond?

carlo6529 said:
It's crazy, there is already a MGS game, RE game and now a KH game confirmed for 3DS. Not to mention everything Nintendo has coming out for it. Only a matter of time until FF's and DQ titles get announced for it.

With a Mass Effect port, obviously.

Hcoregamer00

carlo6529 said:

Hopefully better than the past, because the 3DS will be a giant in terms of software and hardware sales.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
carlo6529 said:

....oh....my god.....Final Fantasy XIII Versus 3D
believe

A release this year would seem optimal. In addition to having an unchallenged holiday season, it would be arriving in the nexus of the big 3D marketing campaigns by the consumer electronics and entertainment giants as a, judging from the E3 impressions, uniquely effective device. Just as everyone is using their marketing bucks to convince the public that 3D products are worthwhile in the first place, Nintendo can jump right in with a successor to one of the most popular gaming products ever that handles 3D through a clearer glasses free solution that at around $200 is the only sub-$1500(?) 3D entertainment item on the market.

I can't think of a more auspicious time to release the 3DS and I suspect its success at launch would be unprecedented. I'm bit stunned at the timing to be honest.

linsivvi

AceBandage said:
You're thinking way too small.
FF 5-9 remakes in 3D.

You know it's coming.

FF7 remake for sure.

I guess it'll also give SE another chance to release that shitty Advent Children movie again, this time in 3D.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Any idea why there is so much extra space above the top screen? Does the LCD require a more room for hardware than your typical screen?

----

This may sound far-fetched, but are there 3D camera's that can capture the 3DS image and accurately play it back on a 3D set?

Gahiggidy said:
Any idea why there is so much extra space above the top screen? Does the LCD require a more room for hardware than your typical screen?

It could simply be to diminish the space between the screens or moving the screen lower vs the hinge angle for optimal viewing of both screens.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gahiggidy said:

----

This may sound far-fetched, but are there 3D camera's that can capture the 3DS image and accurately play it back on a 3D set?
I'm going to guess that the thicker border gives a better contrast to the screen against your surroundings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom