• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo adds "Onett Times": EarthBound Announcement community to Miiverse.

Sounds like Nintendo is happy with the response to Earthbound on Virtual Console. I think Mother 3 is that much more likely now, especially considering that we know GBA games are coming to the service.

Joqu

My heart is hyping me up for the most amazing things, but my brain tells me it's more likely they'll announce the removal of EarthBound from the eShop because of legal issues instead.

That sounds like it was added when the game launched on Wii U.

No they definitely added Itoi's message recently, it wasn't there when I last checked the site.

JavyOO7

Everyone says Mother 3 but how about the Mother for the NES? Nintendo supposedly has an English version done... they ought to release that first and then Mother 3 at a later time. That would be such a cool event. :)

chrono01

I'm really hoping for a Mother 3 announcement from this or, preferably a brand new Wii U Mother title that is being released outside of Japan [once it's finished].

Mother 3 is a definite possibility, though. Ease of distributing it [through the Virtual Console] in addition to Earthbound being as popular now as it is [and for good reason, it's a shame so many missed out on it until now].

COME ON NINTENDO!!

FSLink

Banned
...but we then noticed the huge backlash Earthbound got for being $2 more on the eShop. Therefore, we cancelled the development of Mother 4. Please understand.

Then they'll post screenshots of the cancelled Mother 4 game on Miiverse, 1 per day, until the proposed release date where they'll show off a trailer and then laugh.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DRYOv.gif

This is my response as well. Something is on the horizon.

Darryl

Banned
Unfamiliar with Miiverse - do these exist for every Nintendo franchise?

If so, not suprised. It's a page for the game's community & posts not directly related to the game itself.

If not... new Earthbound incoming?

there is one for each game and then there are pages like this that are dedicated only to administration posts, meaning they've got stuff to talk about or announce

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Just realised that the English EarthBound site was updated with a message from Itoi too.

http://earthbound.nintendo.com/message/

What is the video game, Earthbound?
Even today, it’s so hard to answer that question.

It was like a group of children taking dolls from a toy chest.
Old dishes no longer used in the kitchen.
Nuts and bolts found inside a toolbox.
Little flowers and leaves from the backyard.
And they were all laid down on the carpet with everybody singing made-up songs.
Ready to talk all day about that world they just made.
That, I think was how Earthbound was made.

Well, I’m a grown-up too,
so I didn’t hold back in adding things here and there,
like putting more angles here,
hiding a secret there,
and sometimes slipping in little mean things.

Then a whole lot of friends came over to play.
And they helped it grow as they were having fun as they pleased.
They gave it branches, leaves and flowers,
to what was once a simple story of just root and trunk.
For every person that played, there are that many iterations of Earthbound.

As I met different people on unrelated occasions,
they told me “I found out about you by playing Earthbound.”
This was not only right after the game was out.
People were telling me this after it’s been out for quite some time.

All sorts of people tell me about their memories,
about all the things I left in the playground called Earthbound.
From the tiny safety pins, broken pieces of colored glass to the withering leaves.
When I ask them, “how do you remember so much?”
With their eyes gleaming, they say,
“I love that world so much I remember everything about it.”
I reply right away saying “me too.”

Ah hah! That may be it.
Maybe I wanted to make a playground.
A playground filled with things no matter how small or unwanted,
they would all be kept dear in people’s hearts.
It looks like all my friends from around the world have discovered the theme to the game as they were playing – even though I didn’t think I gave it one.
That’s right, that’s something I also wanted to do all along.

I was already a grown-up at the time I was making Earthbound,
but now that thirty years have been added to my life, I’ve grown up even more.
I think about things that I didn’t back then.

Things like, “what kind of a person do I want to be when I die?”
I already know the answer to this one.
It’s “someone with a lively wake*.”

The person who passed away has to be in all sorts of different people’s memories.
What they’ve done, how stupid they were, what kind of things they did for fun,
and how kind that person was sometimes.
All the people who are still alive are laughing,
wanting to be the first one to bring up those things to everyone around them.
The life I want to live is something that can be concluded with that kind of a party-like wake.
Fame and fortune, setting records and accomplishments are all meaningless.
That person is inside those stories that are told,
where people talk about their episodes, casually and sincerely.

Well, it’s not dead, and it’s not even human,
but to me Earthbound is a game that’s kind of like that guy.

Now that you’ll be able to play Earthbound to your heart’s content,
I hope you’ll play it with someone and create all kinds of great, happy memories.
I’m glad that this day has come.
And I think everyone who had a part in making this game is very excited too.

Thank you for everything.

That was...heart warming.

salromano

Apparently, it was added around three hours ago - around the same time the Miiverse community appeared.

No they definitely added Itoi's message recently, it wasn't there when I last checked the site.

I see, thanks! I said what I said because the last paragraph seemed to suggest it was put up when the game came out. Odd, then, that it was put up today.

Anyhow, can someone take a screen cap of the Onett Times community? I don't have a Wii U account so I can't access it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Interesting... The Japanese Mother 2 Miiverse board has no equivalent to this community, suggesting that the news will be related to the English version of the game.

Javier

Nintendo is planning to go back and localize their older games for eShop release.

Mother 3 is only the beginning.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Additionally, the English EarthBound site has been updated with a message from Itoi.

http://earthbound.nintendo.com/message/

A) OMGICANTBELIEVEITSREALLYHAPPENINGAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

B) It's posts like that one that show me why I have had such a lifelong affinity for Nintendo products. The way that they have historically approached game design is just completely unlike any other game developer. say what you will about their business sense, but the joy that certain Nintendo titles bring out in people is unmatched.

Fireblend

Banned
Mother 4

Written/Designed by Haruki Murakami

A never-ending game about wells and talking cats. At some point after 20 years of playtime, the game just turns off and shows a "The End" text card, with no clear indication of what you did to trigger it and no resolved plot points. Then all save data is deleted.

I love Murakami.

Tiktaalik

Maybe a venue to translate posts from Itoi and members of the old EB team to post out to the Miiverse Earthbound community?

I love Itoi so much. That was a heartwarming read.

Yep. I noticed while I was reading it that I had the same type of smile that I do when I play his game and feel that I understand where he was coming from when he made it. Such a cool person. I hope he gets that 'Otsuya' that he wants, many years from now.

a) N bought the rights to the Mother 3 translation for VC use, or
b) N hired the guys making Mother 4 and turned their work over to Game Freak

I think Mother 3 will be announced, but I don't think that they're going to add an Earthbound announcement community if that's all they were going to do with.

Honestly I'd be shocked if Nintendo isn't going to do something bigger with this series now.

Maybe I'm too hyped, but this seems like far too much effort on Nintendo's part for it to be nothing.

qq more

I've always wondered why they didn't just do a quick localization of Mother 3, especialy after Brawl featured Lucas.

Why would anyone want a quick localization? Localizing games ain't easy. Unless...

Hell, the Mother 3 fan translation was offered to Nintendo for free iirc to use in an official localization if they wanted it. There'd be like zero work involved.
Now we're talking!

Darryl

Banned
Maybe a venue to translate posts from Itoi and members of the old EB team to post out to the Miiverse Earthbound community?

yea thats probably the most likely bit. just discussion and stuff. still, i don't think it would be off the cards for a new game or a new localization.

Joqu

I know there's a Smash Bros. community, but EarthBound related Smash Bros. announcements could get posted in this new one too you know. This could just be for things like that...

I'm mostly just trying to keep my own hype in check though.

Top Bottom