• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Aiming To Release Super Mario 3DS This Year [Updated]

watershed

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Nintendo: "We'll give 3rd parties a chance early in this generation to grab a hold of the market by not releasing any of our AAA franchises in the launch window."

Sales of 3DS:
|
|
|
|
v

Nintendo: "well we better crank out those AAA titles fast now"

I agree with this which makes me very curious to see the N6's launch line up. Even as someone who intends to get the console eventually I wouldn't get GTA5 for it if it was out at launch because I already have a ps3. This may be a problem Nintendo faces with early ports and multi-platform releases.

Edit: Oops, wrong thread, my bad.

Billychu said:
But no Paper Mario. The last real Paper Mario was a Gamecube game and Galaxy 2 came out last year. Get your priorities straight, Nintendo.

Did people really not like Super Paper Mario that much that they don't even consider its existence?

PigSpeakers said:
Did people really not like Super Paper Mario that much that they don't even consider its existence?
SPM was a great game, but it was no TTYD.

Platformer with RPG elements =! RPG with platforming elements

Barrett2

It would be crazy to release so many of their high profile games within 9 months of the system's release.

IMO, Mario Kart & Super Mario Bros will both be 2012 releases.

Amir0x

Banned
I pretty much think it's going to be delayed but if not

fuck yeah a game I really want this year :D

I don't think Paper Mario is making this year at all.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I just want Mario Kart. Rainbow Road in 3D?
That's what I'm talkin' about.

SamBishop

Banned
AceBandage said:
Mario Kart AND Super Mario?
Well fuck...

Yeah, right? On a new platform? Who knew?

Jeezus fuck, Nintendo, give me something new with the effort you put into the same old franchises. I'm fucking sick of this. Yes, I buy your new systems, but just... effort, guys, really...

Amir0x

Banned
SamBishop said:

Jeezus fuck, Nintendo, give me something new with the effort you put into the same old franchises. I'm fucking sick of this. Yes, I buy your new systems, but just... effort, guys, really...

I feel the same way but let's be honest we're whores and if there is ONE Nintendo property that will forever be on repeat, and we'll suffer it because we're gaming whores, it's Mario.

I so do wish Nintendo would not feel the drive to attach every concept to one of their properties... it's the biggest flaw with the company

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
SamBishop said:

I'm pretty sure he was more surprised about the idea of them being out within the same year as each other and both within the first year of the 3DS' launch.

Oh and they do release new franchises, but they get forgotten about the moment a classic franchise game is announced.

Amir0x

Banned
BGBW said:
Oh and they do release new franchises, but they get forgotten about the moment a classic franchise game is announced.

They're usually forgotten because almost certainly they're embarrassing low budget affairs outsourced to some C-team

Most people are intelligent enough to understand when they're getting half-assed efforts. We want new franchises from the Mario and Zelda team with a substantial marketing/development budget so it has a chance to live. Not that announce and then release two days later shit Nintendo was so fond of during the Wii gen.

SamBishop

Banned
BGBW said:
I'm pretty sure he was more surprised about the idea of them being out within the same year as each other and both within the first year of the 3DS' launch.

Naw it was franchise disenfranchisement. Jeezus, that was a weird pair of words to type. I'm fucking sick of recycling. As Amirox said, I will probably buy them, but that's because I look for advancement in the franchise and not only are we stuck with the same stupid group of franchises, but in years they have been... inconsistent in giving us something new with that same shit we already bought.

I'm not blind anymore, Nintendo. I want something new, given full support from the company and made to the same standards as the core titles. It's not even funny anymore; you give us the same games over and over again and they are good so there's no huge outcry (fine, maybe Sunshine), but this is horseshit. I grew up on your games, on your system, and while I was happily entertained elsewhere, I came back to the NES because it had great games from everyone.

You don't get that luxury anymore. You have had three generations of shitty third-party games and a new system that lets you get three-way ports with benefits isn't pushing things forward. I know there's more, I know you are tugging at the edges of the spectrum for a games audience. I get that.

STOP. FUCKING. WITH. US. OLD. FOGEYS.

NEW. New. new. NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
From the Dust said:
fuck him, let the Galaxy team go ape shit crazy with the game. jizz of gold will be printed onto carts

Again? Meh, 3/10 effort.
Dude, we get it, you're gunning down for that "jizz of gold" tag but you're trying waaaaay to hard at tagfishing and there's no need to keep at it in every goddamn post, GAF overlords are not that dumb.

Back to the drawing 6" touchboard for ya

Gamer @ Heart said:
As amazing as that schedule looks like for both a fan and an investor, having that many high profile games back to back doesnt leave very many opening for third parties to shine, which is something Nintendo has vowed to do.

Hey, they have their chance to do it now. It's their fault for letting the opportunity pass them by. >=I

m.i.s.

Banned
Amir0x said:
sometimes i hate GAF while simultaneously loving GAF

this is one of those times

Joke gone wrong, I wasn't being complimentary about NSMB and was agreeing with SamBishop about the lack of fresh IPs

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
i don't know but it's been wonderful.

You know I love me some REAL Mario games, but having such quick releases seems to diminish the stature of the series.

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
You know I love me some REAL Mario games, but having such quick releases seems to diminish the stature of the series.

it was like this in the 80s and early 90s. we got about 7 real mario games in an 8 year time span from 1985-1993.

and then super mario 64 and super mario sunshine were the only new real mario games for 13 years

i call it making up for lost time. and it's nowhere near as bad as what happened to zelda from 2000-2007.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Lets hope we at least get more than one Mario plat-former on the 3DS, still can't believe we only got one on the DS.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Amir0x said:
They're usually forgotten because almost certainly they're embarrassing low budget affairs outsourced to some C-team

Most people are intelligent enough to understand when they're getting half-assed efforts. We want new franchises from the Mario and Zelda team with a substantial marketing/development budget so it has a chance to live. Not that announce and then release two days later shit Nintendo was so fond of during the Wii gen.
Yeah, some of it is a little half-arsed, some of it isn't even targeting us. Their strategy on short term noticed also wasn't very bright when most of the gaming press was ignoring them which is why I'm never surprised when people honestly think Nintendo hasn't released anything beyond Mario and Zelda.

As a fan of quirky games I don't mind the B-tier titles that are released, but I can understand why others see the need for a new AAA brand. Nintendo just has to figure out how to capture the media who are the most guilty for asking where the new Mario game is whenever they announce a non-Mario title. Just look at the 3DS launch where some journalists insisted that even the AR games have to include Mario. I'm glad Nintendo included something like Face Raiders with the system as that is a breath of fresh air in this current climate. And no, I'm not suggesting that Face Raiders is Nintendo's answer to the lack of new brands, despite how good it is.

Guess I'm still a little mad that great games like Rhythm Heaven/Paradise/Tengoku Gold were completely overlooked by the media in favour of yet another Guitar Hero or Rock band.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
it was like this in the 80s and early 90s. we got about 7 real mario games in an 8 year time span from 1985-1993.

and then super mario 64 and super mario sunshine were the only new real mario games for 13 years

i call it making up for lost time. and it's nowhere near as bad as what happened to zelda from 2000-2007.

Hmm, when you put it that way, good point.

wrowa

AceBandage said:
It was probably being worked on before SMG2 came out, so a year+.
And it's using the same engine.
2 years plus is more likely. People forget so easily that SMG2 was missing many of the key members of SMG1's development -- EAD Tokyo has two teams by now. The second team worked on another game while the other team developed SMG2. That other game is most likely Mario 3D. If not, well, then we are going to see quite an awesome Mario game for Wii 2 at E3.

WillyFive

Oblivion said:

This is how I feel.

Mario games have become the highlight of a console generation. You start having more than them, it becomes less a big deal.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
thank you. i thought nobody agreed with me on this.

Eh, I can see how one could feel that way. The only thing that looks off to me is the sprites for Mario and some of the enemies (like the Goombas, although SMW Koopas are the definitive 2D version for me.)

As for the music and backgrounds/tilesets, they're absolutely gorgeous and they still inspire me to this day:

NhXQp.png

09pI1.png

Something about the art just to me.... promised a kind of wide-open adventure. I understand people like the Mario + kingdom kind of approach to things where things were kind of story-bookish, but I love SMW because I look at the backgrounds and I'm filled with an excitement for the unknown. The game feels almost infinitely vast to me because of its art (and many, many secrets.) It wasn't until like three years ago I even found out about Soda Lake. It's a game that keeps on giving.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy Order Sol said:
You mean the joke involving Yoshi and betrayal was lost on you before that? Wow.

No but it was funnier to me as Mario saving himself by ditching Yoshi instead of ditching him to get to a new level.

Also it may have been like 5 years ago before I ever saw that image, I don't remember.

Another secret I learned of last week was that there's a Moon in the first level of the game, only accessible through using the cape. It's what inspired the first image I posted.

SamBishop said:

They tried that with Steel Diver.

Not a total slam on that game but I'll take Marios up the asshole if this is how it plays out.

jarosh

this is new, yeah?

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/miyamoto-reveals-more-on-mario-3ds

Shigeru Miyamoto has described the upcoming Super Mario 3DS as a cross between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64, and said that the eagerly anticipated title will be out this year.

Speaking in London today, Miyamoto told us: “It’s a combination of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario on N64. It won’t convey the message if I talk to you today, but if you play it at E3 that will give you more understanding of what I’m talking about.”

Most important of all was Miyamoto’s promise that the game is “completely original, and coming this year.”

“The tail you mentioned on the logo – it’s what you think it is,” Miyamoto said. “You probably know what’s going to happen using that character.”

more at the link

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
They tried that with Steel Diver.

I can see a sequel packing more content being awesome, but as it stands now do you really think the game qualifies as a full-fledged effort from Nintendo?

EDIT: omg. The tail. It's THE tail.

jarosh

thread title should be changed to:

nintendo promises to release mario 3ds this year, game playable at e3, cross between galaxy and m64

apana

Wow I called this a long time ago in my 3D Mario thread. Cross between Mario 64 and Galaxy. Someone give me an internet medal.

NewFresh

Holy Order Sol said:
I can see a sequel packing more content being awesome, but as it stands now do you really think the game qualifies as a full-fledged effort from Nintendo?

Steel Diver was more of a launch title filler than a full-fledged effort. Solid but lacking

Holy Order Sol said:

Nah, you're right.

But the game was in the making or the idea was for years and years and years, it's not like it was a quickly thrown together concept.

I just hope they DO make a sequel to it, many seem to like it and it obviously could be much better with more content.

My comment was less of a slam on that game and more of "nothing wrong with sequels to the best of the best game series" though it might not have seemed to indicate that.

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
I pretty much think it's going to be delayed but if not

fuck yeah a game I really want this year :D

I don't think Paper Mario is making this year at all.
It might be already done. Nintendo came out and said that a lot of 3DS games have been in development for a while and some of them are already at the end of their development but they're holding them back to release accordingly. If Mario Kart and Super Mario 3DS come out this year there is no way in hell they'd also release Paper Mario. I feel though if Super Mario 3DS gets delayed, we'll just get another awesome Nintendo game(animal crossing, paper mario, etc)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cross between Galaxy and 64?

*Faints*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I would definitely like to see a more open world spin on Galaxy's mechanics, even though I prefer mostly linear platformers. EAD Tokyo can make it work.

Top Bottom