• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Aiming To Release Super Mario 3DS This Year [Updated]

miksar

I bet they want Super Mario 3DS to be out as soon as possible so that Tokyo EAD can concentrate on next-gen HD Mario.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
miksar said:
I bet they want Super Mario 3DS to be out as soon as possible so that Tokyo EAD can concentrate on next-gen HD Mario.

It's probably being designed as we speak.

daffy

Banned
jarosh said:
mlpfimepisode23-thecut2n70.gif

Honestly, something that I was disappointed with the SMG (SMG2 in particular) games was the lack of secrets in the hub. (didn't actually get to beat SMG2, my supposed friend stole my Wii, that bastard). There were a few in SM64, with the hidden portraits and the secret slide/water levels, but there should be more! Not sure if you consider what SM3/SMW had as hubs, but they were fucking fantastic.

I'm being brief here but SMW had two secret worlds that were amazing, and you had many different paths to beat the game, with a few other secrets here and there. Mario 3 had those coin ships, random battles with hammer bros, secrets in the mini castles, houses, and a few other things. I really hope they find some way to create that feeling of a massive game with this title. I want the hub, or whatever it is, to have life again. I was very disappointed in the path that they took with SMG2, hopefully they can fix that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So Mario Kart, Mario 3D and Sonic and Mario@ the Olympic Games 3DS this year ?

Damn....

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, the 3DS is going to be taking up a bunch of my game time this year. Too many games I want. It's probably unlikely these will ALL release this year, but still:

- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- Mario Kart 3DS
- Paper Mario 3D
- Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
- Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
- Resident Evil: Revelations
- Super Mario 3DS
- Time Travelers
--
All this news of Super Mario 3DS makes me super excited. The Galaxy games were platforming genius.

Also I really want to see how well the 3D effect will lend itself to a platformer, I've really been enjoying the 3D effect with Pilotwings Resort - To the point where I don't want to play without it on, everything feels flat and it's harder to judge distance.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Haziqonfire said:
Damn, the 3DS is going to be taking up a bunch of my game time this year. Too many games I want. It's probably unlikely these will ALL release this year, but still:

- Mario Kart 3DS
- Paper Mario 3D
- Super Mario 3DS
- Time Travelers
--
All this news of Super Mario 3DS makes me super excited. The Galaxy games were platforming genius.

Also I really want to see how well the 3D effect will lend itself to a platformer, I've really been enjoying the 3D effect with Pilotwings Resort - To the point where I don't want to play without it on, everything feels flat and it's harder to judge distance.

Besides of Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D i dont see any listed 3rd party game bein released this year though. But 2012 should be big.....

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Haziqonfire said:

- Mario Kart 3DS
- Paper Mario 3D
- Super Mario 3DS
- Time Travelers
Neither half of these are releasing this year.

TL4E

Mario platformers are some of my favorite games, but they're releasing them a bit too quickly. The gaps between 64 to Galaxy took 11 years, and Galaxy to 3DS will take a mere 5 years.

TL4E said:
Mario platformers are some of my favorite games, but they're releasing them a bit too quickly. The gaps between 64 to Galaxy took 11 years, and Galaxy to 3DS will take a mere 5 years.
Sunshine?

I think this is a different situation because it's the first 3D Mario game developed specifically for a Nintendo handheld.

TL4E

CoffeeJanitor said:
Sunshine?

I think this is a different situation because it's the first 3D Mario game developed specifically for a Nintendo handheld.

64 -> Sunshine -> Galaxy took 11 years.

Galaxy -> Galaxy 2 -> 3DS will take 5 years if the OP holds up.

hatchx

Banned
miksar said:

They might have some downloadable content option coming. Buy the game, get 1/3 worlds, 2nd world comes out in a few months, 3rd world months later. No extra cost.

I'd dig, good way to get consumers into downloading games/extras.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TL4E said:

You forgot NSMB Wii. Nintendo considers that a mainline entry. (NSMB DS too.)

^^2D and 3D Mario are separate.

TL4E said:

Ah, right. Well, I'm not arguing with you here, I think they're releasing them at too high a clip as well if this holds true. But it makes sense that they're releasing at a high clip.

ant1532

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK. JUST READ CROSS BETWEEN SUPER MARIO 64 and SUPER MARIO GALAXY. So they're just making the pineapple express of videogames.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
CoffeeJanitor said:
^^2D and 3D Mario are separate.

Ah, right. Well, I'm not arguing with you here, I think they're releasing them at too high a clip as well if this holds true. But it makes sense that they're releasing at a high clip.

NSMB is a 3D series, just on a 2D axis. Like I said, they're considered mainline games.

TL4E

Andrex said:
You forgot NSMB Wii. Nintendo considers that a mainline entry. (NSMB DS too.)
You're right, but I meant to refer to the 3D Super Mario 64-esque platformers.

edit: I read your new post. It's still a side-scrolling game. It seems strange to to put NSMB into the same category as 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1 & 2 beyond Nintendo's classification of them being "main games."

I think most would agree you can further subdivide the main games into the 3D platformers and the 2D/3D sidescrolling games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TL4E said:
You're right, but I meant to refer to the 3D Super Mario 64-esque platformers.

edit: I read your new post. It's still a side-scrolling game. It seems strange to to put NSMB into the same category as 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1 & 2 beyond Nintendo's classification of them being "main games."

I think most would agree you can further subdivide the main games into the 3D platformers and the 2D/3D sidescrolling games.

Yeah, that's true. But things have been thrown up in the air since Nintendo released a second 3D Mario game for the same console. :p

Great news! It's also happening sooner than I thought.

I also hope Nintendo makes a New Super Mario title for the 3DS along with this. I'm sure they will seeing how much the first one sold.

That's all Nintendo has to do. Just make more New Super Mario games and they'll print money again!

daffy

Banned
If they manage to successfully merge the two best GOATs in gaming, then every Nintendo employee may as well pack up and leave Earth. They're done here.

A cross between Super Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy? Well this is perhaps half of what I want.. cross between New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario 64 would be simply divine. Oh well, Ive never played a handheld Mario so I cant wait to see how this turns out.

I still think something is going to miss this year, either Mario Kart (unless it is a big summer release) or SM 3DS...there wont be any big oomph games for next year.

Jackano

Coincidentally, I'm currently listening to the "Nostalgic Fortress" track from Galaxy 2 :lol

So, it is the racoon/tanooki tail but in a 3D Mario game. Both Galaxy and 64 had flying sequences, and... I don't know, but if the game release this year, Kid Icarus is closer than I expected. September release for him?

robor

Ok, well this is the third game on the list for my potential 3DS. That's almost enough to justify getting one.

Alrus

Who can complain about getting mario games too fast? If anything we didn't get them fast enough before the Wii (and nintendo realizing making more than one game per console didn't diminish the brand in the eye of consumers).

Dedication Through Light said:
I still think something is going to miss this year, either Mario Kart (unless it is a big summer release) or SM 3DS...there wont be any big oomph games for next year.

Next year you'll probably get a 2D mario for the holidays. And you'll have RE:R and a very tiny chance of Kingdom Hearts. Plus we'll get more announcement this E3. But in the meantime, Nintendo really need a bunch of heavy hitter for the holidays, and Mario Kart + This seems like a perfect combination.

Jackano said:
So, it is the racoon/tanooki tail but in a 3D Mario game. Both Galaxy and 64 had flying sequences, and... I don't know, but if the game release this year, Kid Icarus is closer than I expected. September release for him?

Kid Icarus seems like a good august release, but we haven't had many info on that game since the demos a few months ago...

Thoraxes

It’s a combination of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario on N64.
Take it, take all of my money. If stuff like this keeps up, i'm going to be in more debt from Nintendo than I will be for Graduate school. (Hyperbole)

Top Bottom