• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announce Pokemon Art Academy (3DS) - Launches June 19th in Japan

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Seeing a lot of responses who think this will be Japan only. Crazy.

Well, it should be interesting for me to cover, that's for sure.

I'd genuinely be shocked if they released Pokemon Art Academy at retail in the NOA and NOE markets, most likely will be an eshop exclusive title.

udivision

Why do Pokemon has the worst spinoffs in the world?

It's really surprising that Pokemon hasn't found it's "Mario Kart," i.e. a Spin-Off that becomes a staple. Heck, Mario Kart is bigger than 3D Mario, but I guess 3D Mario is a spinoff too.

At least they're trying to find something that resonates, I'm just surprised they haven't done it yet.

JoeM86

The thing that is awesome about Pokémon is that it resonates to many different genres with its spin-offs. It's so flexible, almost like Mario.

People give the spin-offs a hard time. They're almost all enjoyable.

harmonize

It's really surprising that Pokemon hasn't found it's "Mario Kart," i.e. a Spin-Off that becomes a staple. Heck, Mario Kart is bigger than 3D Mario, but I guess 3D Mario is a spinoff too.

At least they're trying to find something that resonates, I'm just surprised they haven't done it yet.
Believe in Pokken.

Hatchtag

Banned
Seeing a lot of responses who think this will be Japan only. Crazy.

Well, it should be interesting for me to cover, that's for sure.

Haven't Pokemon teaching games had some trouble coming stateside? The typing ond and the tcg rules never came here, iirc. But I'm hoping this comes here!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Haven't Pokemon teaching games had some trouble coming stateside? The typing ond and the tcg rules never came here, iirc. But I'm hoping this comes here!

I thought the keyboard one made it? Or was an European edition only?

JoeM86

It's Pokémon. That's big.
It's Art Academy. That's big.

What's not to like.

The TCG rules "game" was just them choosing a different media to output it other than DVD for a change.
Typing Adventure, sure. Though Europe & Australia did get it.

Hmm, would buy I guess?

Speaking of Art Academy, has anyone played the 3DS version? Is it an improvement from the DS versions?

3DS version is a complete overhaul that has much more true-to-life effects with the tools, many more art supply options and a much-much wider range of lessons to learn from inc. lots of decent DLC lessons at a decent price.

As an example here's some of the stuff I've done in Art Academy 3DS/Wii U - I'm not much of a traditional artist but the tutorials have helped me become a bit of a better one overall.

Extremely giddy about this Pokemon entry, I hope that TCG style gallery means there's a kind of challenge to draw them all or something in there (the trailer mentions 100 something, so I dunno if that's the number of Pokemon featured for templates ect. - I'm sure Joe or someone can clarify). Since Art Academy launched I've always been a little surprised Nintendo didn't add some fanarty aspect to it, though I respect them greatly for letting Art Academy floursh as an actual serious art training tool. This way we have a kids subset based on series FULL of art potental that'll hook kids and hopefully get them interested in art.

I wonder if people will get a bit funny about the fact early lessons are basically tracing? It does look like the lessons naturally progress to taking the "tracing wheels" off the user and letting them start to draw solo as it goes along however.

Also anyone worried about influx of Pokemon art, Art Academy Sketchbook posts are reglated to it's own Miiverse and I'ld be willing to bet the same will go for Pokemon Art Academy.

Nintendo should release and art suite like this targetting both 2D and 3D creation for Wii U for free. Then make this app compatible to customize accesories for Mii characters so titles that use them from now on could benefit from user created content.

On topic, im surprised that the tiny 3DS touch screen can allow for such precision drawing. Too bad these creations are doomed to exist in the confines of this software alone.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Side note, who are the announced developers for Poké Art?

I thoroughly enjoyed Pokémon Battle Trozei, is it Genious?

Jintor

Pokemon art game? What's next, pokemon and photography?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HASSSSSN'TTT THISSSSSSSS HAPPPPPPPPPENEDDDDDDD AGAAAAAAAAAINNNNNN

You've got like another four hundred of these fuckers to photograph and a whole slew of new regions! COME ON!

Tripon

I'd genuinely be shocked if they released Pokemon Art Academy at retail in the NOA and NOE markets, most likely will be an eshop exclusive title.

I don't know about that, Art Academy 3DS got a retail option, with a brand like pokemon attached, I can definitely see a retail option for this as well.

Something like this will go well at Target, Walmart, etc.

Elija2

Maybe Nintendo wanted to make a Miiverse community exclusively for Pokemon drawings but they also wanted to sell people another Art Academy game.

udivision

Believe in Pokken.
I want to...

The thing that is awesome about Pokémon is that it resonates to many different genres with its spin-offs. It's so flexible, almost like Mario.

People give the spin-offs a hard time. They're almost all enjoyable.

The Pokemon world is a lot more interesting than Mario's, but maybe that's the problem. There's the belief that the mainline games are the only really way to explore the world, and everything else is just derivative. But because of the how the mainline games are presented, they're ironically one of the least interesting ways to view the world.

On topic, im surprised that the tiny 3DS touch screen can allow for such precision drawing. Too bad these creations are doomed to exist in the confines of this software alone.

Can't you export files in AA3DS to the 3DS itself as photos then upload them to the internet via the browser?

No developer announced on this one, but it's probably the same as all the AA games. Trozei was Genius Sonority, yeah.

JoeM86

Na, too soon for another Genius Sonority game.

Strangely, the official site lists copyright for Nintendo in addition to the standard joint copyright of Nintendo, Creatures Inc. and Game Freak:
c2014 Nintendo
Pokemon Characters c2014 Pokemon.
c1995-2014 Nintendo / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc.

So, I'm thinking this is probably a Nintendo SPD game.

Strangely, the official site lists copyright for Nintendo in addition to the standard joint copyright of Nintendo, Creatures Inc. and Game Freak:
c2014 Nintendo

Not Headstrong? Why wouldn't they work on it since they created Art Academy, hell the artist from the game is in PAA, you see the guy with the white mustache, I think it's the same guy.

JoeM86

Not Headstrong? Why wouldn't they work on it since they created Art Academy, hell the artist from the game is in PAA, you see the guy with the white mustache, I think it's the same guy.

Well I'm just going by copyright data, that's not exactly conclusive. We just have to wait for more info to come :)

Like the other games, I imagine it's Headstrong & SPD working together. The 3DS AA doesn't list them on the site as developers, except for the Iwata Asks.

Tripon

c2014 Nintendo

Can't you export files in AA3DS to the 3DS itself as photos then upload them to the internet via the browser?

No developer announced on this one, but it's probably the same as all the AA games. Trozei was Genius Sonority, yeah.

Dudes, we all know who is developing this Art Academy game. Its Human Head. Everyone expected them to make a FPS for the Wii U, but nope, HEAD SWERVE. NINTENDO DOES IT AGAIN.

Mory Dunz

Does Stadium count as a spinoff?
It can still be relevant if they would stop effing up with it.

Pokemon Conquest sold decently I think (I'll check MC), so maybe if it gets more entries, it can become a thing.

Nintendo should release and art suite like this targetting both 2D and 3D creation for Wii U for free. Then make this app compatible to customize accesories for Mii characters so titles that use them from now on could benefit from user created content.

The video shows that the player can save their drawings as JPEG files on the SD card, the other Art Academy titles (with exception of the DS retail version of the original DSiWare release) also allow for import of works to SD card or to a format that can be posted to web and directly posted to Miiverse.

Also the Wii U app exists, it does cost about £3.49 - but considering it's a pretty full functioning art application of high quality - I'ld rather pay for that than Nintendo just giving us a basic half-baked drawing app for colour pictures (besides Miiverse's built in doodle function pretty much covers that)

Would adore it being GS as long as it's got another bitchin' Tsukasa Tawada soundtrack.

Tragic GS is so much smaller, but aren't all the MAIN folks still there? They just lost their bulk as it were?

JoeM86

Does Stadium count as a spinoff?
It can still be relevant if they would stop effing up with it.

Pokemon Conquest sold decently I think (I'll check MC), so maybe if it gets more entries, it can become a thing.

Any game not done by Game Freak is counted as a spin-off, officially. They have a list:
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/game-other/title/

They have two game sections. Pokémon - Pokémon Series (main titles) and Pokémon - Other

Takao

Banned

Mystery Dungeon? That series has five separate games.

Haha no, it's really not.

The first instance was Pokémon Pinball back in '98

You're half right:

6167_front.jpg

But they stylized it and made the name into one word it looks like. Here it's the literal logo, HELL, isn't that font and style MADE for the west for the Pokemon name and not the original Pocket Monster logo?

Unison

zlCfzRFVkPYMl7jpk4

This was the first thing I did in Wii U Art Academy.

I have no conventional drawing talent, but it's good software.

udivision

Mystery Dungeon? That series has five separate games.

That maybe the closest thing. I don't know it's sales details though.

I guess another advantage that Mario has is that it can release it's "real" games on both handheld/console (NSMB2/3DLand/MMK7 -> NSMBU/3DWorld/MK8) while Pokemon has to stick to handhelds mostly or people die.

Brannon

And soon they'll put this on Art Academy Sketchpad Wii U as one of those lessons that are always "Coming Soon" ever since it was released so long ago. Man that would be the best idea.

JoeM86

You're half right:

6167_front.jpg

But they stylized it and made the name into one word it looks like. Here it's the literal logo, HELL, isn't that font and style MADE for the west for the Pokemon name and not the original Pocket Monster logo?

That's what all spin-offs do really. They all have their own stylised logo. In fact, I can't even think of a spin-off (outside of Stadium etc.) that uses Pocket Monsters.

Unlike the west, Japan doesn't have one set logo.

The video shows that the player can save their drawings as JPEG files on the SD card, the other Art Academy titles (with exception of the DS retail version of the original DSiWare release) also allow for import of works to SD card or to a format that can be posted to web and directly posted to Miiverse.

Also the Wii U app exists, it does cost about £3.49 - but considering it's a pretty full functioning art application of high quality - I'ld rather pay for that than Nintendo just giving us a basic half-baked drawing app for colour pictures (besides Miiverse's built in doodle function pretty much covers that)
i did not express myself correctly, apologies.

For what i can see there's no inherent advantage of having this in a NIntendo platform in comaprison to the wide expectrum of image creation and learning programs you get in a PC, even for free. If there were some functionality like incorporating the user created content into Nintendo games then i would see more of a point.

Regarding the Wii U app? Can you at least share your drawings in any part of Miiverse? Because for what i colud remember people expended hours creating those detailed drawings with some really rudimentary tools, just to make a post. It is kind of wasteful sadly.

Not criticizing any one that like this product btw.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
3DS version is a complete overhaul that has much more true-to-life effects with the tools, many more art supply options and a much-much wider range of lessons to learn from inc. lots of decent DLC lessons at a decent price.

As an example here's some of the stuff I've done in Art Academy 3DS/Wii U - I'm not much of a traditional artist but the tutorials have helped me become a bit of a better one overall. .

Great, thanks. I will keep an eye on it then.

zlCfzRFVkPYMl7jpk4

This was the first thing I did in Wii U Art Academy.

I have no conventional drawing talent, but it's good software.

That's cute! You've got potential there but it's like everything else, it takes time and pretty much constant practice to get good. I've been drawing for 15 years and I still wouldn't call myself a great artist (but then I'm a bit modest that way).

Arts still a great little hobby and it's amazing what people can do with it given time and the right support. I'm a member of an Art Academy group on DA and it's amazing how differently people interpret even the earliest lessons on Art Academy. Granted there's the odd one or two who really make the tutorial lesson subjects look amazing, but then there's generally always someone better out there, and that shouldn't discourage people : )

Top Bottom