• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announce Pokemon Art Academy (3DS) - Launches June 19th in Japan

i did not express myself correctly, apologies.

That's quite alright! I just wanted to correct your point as artwork from Art Academy can be adapted and kept.

For what i can see there's no inherent advantage of having this in a NIntendo platform in comaprison to the wide expectrum of image creation and learning programs you get in a PC, even for free. If there were some functionality like incorporating the user created content into Nintendo games then i would see more of a point.

From a gaming standpoint? No Art Academy doesn't have a point or use but that's not it's intention. Art Academy as a series is intended to be an art program and a teaching tool for art.

Yes there are many art programs for PC that do the job just as well if not better! But those programs don't come with any sort of tutorial (unless you seek those out, and even then user created tutorials come in varying levels of quality) - Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone gives lessons of a calibre you would pay quite a pretty penny to get from professional classes.

This iteration is clearly intended to be more relaxed and fun for kids, but with the intention of getting them confident with art and drawing without tracings or guideline assistance. Just because it's not a game, doesn't mean it doesn't have any worth.

Regarding the Wii U app? Can you at least share your drawings in any part of Miiverse? Because for what i colud remember people expended hours creating those detailed drawings with some really rudimentary tools, just to make a post. It is kind of wasteful sadly.

Art Academy pictures can be posted in the Art Academy Miiverse community where people generally get plenty of attention if they put the effort in!

To say the tools are rudimentary expresses a lack of understanding of what the Sketchpad actually has. It's got paints, pastels and pencils which is a pretty broad range of tools, the only awkward thing about sketchpad is the awkward limitation that switching one toolset for another kind of "locks in" what you did before in the set you used before. Though this does present the interesting effect of Sketchpad having "layers" - be it a limited number (as I believe each tool set can be used only once per drawing)

Besides that, it's not about what tools you use for art, it's what skill you bring to the table. People can do amazing things with ball point pens. People do amazing things with the absolute basic tools in Miiverse. Art isn't wasteful if you enjoy what your doing (and learning from the experience too!)

JoeM86

I meant the actual name and logo, it's like the actual "Pokemon" logo in Japanese.

I don't get your meaning. The logo is different with each game (or game sub-series). There is no one "Pokémon" logo in Japan. Here's a few more examples

6170_front.jpg
614MGDRJ1VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
6120QA53VGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
513KSFSAGYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51YNFET0QFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51X9Y4JPYNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
5192VJ376BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
61XPTJHMVQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
kv_ttl.png

6178G41DFDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51YFENKCWML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
61jIOZfj3zL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
61RJ9H%2B3o2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51xuThd-%2BbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
61Ct7hj5wpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And so forth. So what did you mean? I'm legitimately unsure.

wrowa

It's kind of rubbing me the wrong way that they are releasing a new Art Academy, before
actually finishing the Wii U one.

I would have loved something like this in the late 90's, though.

CassSept

I don't get your meaning. The logo is different with each game (or game sub-series). There is no one "Pokémon" logo in Japan. Here's a few more examples

And so forth. So what did you mean? I'm legitimately unsure.

He means the logow ritten in the same font the western logo is written in. Within the examples you posted he'd mean Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire and that is an earlier example of them using the western font for Pokemon logo on japanese boxart, by 10 years nonetheless.

Edit: At least that's what I think he means. "Pocket Monsters" written in the distinct yellow font that is used outside of Japan.

JoeM86

He means the logow ritten in the same font the western logo is written in. Within the examples you posted he'd mean Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire and that is an earlier example of them using the western font for Pokemon logo on japanese boxart, by 10 years nonetheless.

Edit: At least that's what I think he means. "Pocket Monsters" written in the distinct yellow font that is used outside of Japan.

Oh, it's using a similar colourscheme. I get it now. Thanks

Rvaisse

Art Academy should be included in every nintendo touch screen devices, be a free to play with tons of lessons to buy.

lewisgone

I think this is a cute idea. I actually have the 3DS Art Academy game - it's pretty great and can be found for fairly cheap (£8). Playing one with cartoony images could be cool, since I can't draw very well.

If there's a large amount of images to copy, and a fair amount of lessons, it could be fun, especially for kids since Art Academy is pretty in-depth and not exactly simple. Even I might buy it if the price drops down to a decent amount (£15?). But knowing Nintendo they'll launch it at £30.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Actually, this really should come with a special stylus. Seems like a no-brainer to me!

I'd buy it if it came over to Europe. I hope it's retail at least and not eShop only.

JoeM86

I think this is a cute idea. I actually have the 3DS Art Academy game - it's pretty great and can be found for fairly cheap (£8). Playing one with cartoony images could be cool, since I can't draw very well.

If there's a large amount of images to copy, and a fair amount of lessons, it could be fun, especially for kids since Art Academy is pretty in-depth and not exactly simple. Even I might buy it if the price drops down to a decent amount (£15?). But knowing Nintendo they'll launch it at £30.

Well it's at a reduced price in Japan :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kuju Entertainment helps develop the Art Academy games right, so is this the first Pokémon game that's been developed outside of Japan?

Boxart is not final as the rating is basically pending (that is usually the only change, in my gamefaqs submitting days* I would commonly photoshop in the rating if a non-final box was better quality).

*-Last time I tried you had to be so quick as in, have the image submitted within a few minutes of the release date. Thats too hardcore for me. I also got too busy to image search for backs and spines of older games,

Haven't Pokemon teaching games had some trouble coming stateside? The typing ond and the tcg rules never came here, iirc. But I'm hoping this comes here!
I thought the keyboard one made it? Or was an European edition only?
Typing came to Europe (complete with keybaord layout variants; e.g. France with its AZERTY one) but only in white.

Amazon UK have it for a very reasonable £16.44 and ship to America for not too many $. The keyboard is a bluetooth one so will be useful outside of the game too.

The video shows that the player can save their drawings as JPEG files on the SD card, the other Art Academy titles (with exception of the DS retail version of the original DSiWare release) also allow for import of works to SD card or to a format that can be posted to web and directly posted to Miiverse.
Thanks for that. JPEG is a bit of a blow but it beats nothing.

I just hope that in the case of an international release Nintendo remembers the Art Academy succeeded at a certain price point on the DS and failed miserably at a higher price point on the 3DS. Unless the failure of that has put the brakes on an international release at all (ala Brain Training 3DS in Europe).

JoeM86

Link

The official Headstrong Games Facebook group has confirmed it.

Excellent, thanks. I shall update the site. Makes it the first Pokémon game to be developed in the UK, too!

Them announcing it gives me hope with localisation, too. Have been checking every day for localisation news, but nothing yet.

also

Banned
Not making this game compatible with the current Art Academy feels like a missed opportunity. Nintendo could have created an AA hub and periodically released AAs for Zelda, Mario and other IPs.
I'm not arguing against giving this AA (or other future AA) a standalone physical release just that the games should be able to share lessons, upgraded UI, features...

JoeM86

Not making this game compatible with the current Art Academy feels like a missed opportunity. Nintendo could have created an AA hub and periodically released AAs for Zelda, Mario and other IPs.
I'm not arguing against giving this AA (or other future AA) a standalone physical release just that the games should be able to share lessons, upgraded UI, features...

I imagine that the lessons are just similar across the board. This time, they just use Pokémon for examples rather than fruit, animals, objects etc.

Not really something they can make compatible.

also

Banned
I imagine that the lessons are just similar across the board. This time, they just use Pokémon for examples rather than fruit, animals, objects etc.

Not really something they can make compatible.
Even just having different examples for the same lesson would be something. And the IP based AA could focus more on how to draw X character.

Top Bottom