• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Mlatador

Banned
A friend gave me the idea. Could not resist:

7SJ5NRH.png

He's coming for the Vita :D

I think I am the only one here who's reaction was "Oh, cool, they lowered the price, dropped the 3D gimmick and the self-scratching clam-shell screens. Now I can finally buy one!"

I don't understand why everyone is being so negative, this is perfect for me. Ifs not like they are discontinuing the 3DS and the XL. Buy which ever one you like the best.

They just got a sale from me. I've been holding out for a redesign just like this.

Nibel

Did you guys ever see a 3DS case? There is a sentence printed on the bottom that might explain why they've removed the 3D for this version

Can't remember seeing the majority of people here losing their shit over something that is weird at first but makes sense when you think about it

Dizzy

Banned
wow, I really thought this was a joke at first. Nintendo entering desperation mode it seems. Trying to get another success out there to make up for the Wii U.

I mean.....I don't know what to say. It essentially says that the whole idea behind the 3DS was worthless.

Darryl

Banned
Where are people getting the idea that this is a kids-only system? The Kotaku article in the OP doesn't mention it and Nintendo's press release doesn't say anything like that, either:

And someone already posted a press shot of two adults using it. Unless "entry-level" is now a synonym for "under six"?

they don't mention girls-only when they sell pink handheld consoles because that's dumb as fuck but we all know who it is basically targeting. you can be an adult and get this. hell, i think i'd prefer this. but it is overall obviously trying to appeal more towards kids and the parents who buy consoles for them.

Why not just drop the price and remove the 3D?

I want a cheaper 3DS too, but I don't want to buy the enormous door stop version that doesn't fold.

My biggest issue with it is just how bizarre it looks. Especially that significant lack of anything going on below the circle pad. They couldn't have put something there?

Why not just drop the price and remove the 3D?

I want a cheaper 3DS too, but I don't want to buy the enormous door stop version that doesn't fold.

My biggest issue with it is just how bizarre it looks. Especially that significant lack of anything going on below the circle pad. They couldn't have put something there?

That's where the Vitality Sensor is.

That thing is so ugly.

It's going to sell pretty well as a cheaper alternative to get in on 3DS games, though.
Ugly, but comfy to hold based on hands on time from Jeremy Parish on USGamer, USA Today, and Eurogamer. Though Gamespots hands on took a shit on it.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2013/08/28/nintendo-2ds-impressions/2718421/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-28-Nintendo-2DS-hands-on

http://m.gamespot.com/features/the-curious-existence-of-the-nintendo-2ds-6413761/

Edit- I like UsGamers take on it. Is there a separatethread for hands on impressions from the media?

jmls1121

Banned
wow, I really thought this was a joke at first. Nintendo entering desperation mode it seems. Trying to get another success out there to make up for the Wii U.

I mean.....I don't know what to say. It essentially says that the whole idea behind the 3DS was worthless.

Pretty much everything in your post is ridiculous and wrong.

JordanN

Banned
Well that came out of nowhere. Like, I would never expect such a thing in a thousand years.

Guess I'm waiting for the Wii Me that comes with no gamepad for $200.

alan666

Banned
I have the feeling that this 2DS will just make the developers & publishers not bother with 3D games for the 3DS versions, how can they make 3D games work on a 2D screen ?

I know you can vary the depth on the slider but games like Dark Moon, Mario 3D Land well most of the games have been designed to be played in 3D with depth.

When did Nintendo decide to make this, when the 3DS was failing ?

Why have Nintendo been making this & doing all the R&D when the WiiU is failing or even failed.

I have no idea what Nintendo are thinking, talk about moving things forward or doing things in a different way, what is it now, backwards !

spliced

I don't understand people saying it looks uncomfortable(for a handheld). Try holding an og 3ds upside down and this thing will probably feel much the same.

kirby_fox

Banned
All I can think of is that it's targeting younger kids, and those intimidated by what the 3DS looks like? Or more so, are too dumb to realize the 3DS is a different system.

Actually...this might be genius.

People see the 2DS and think it's a DS successor. They buy it based on name alone, and play it for a year to find out there's this 3DS that can play the games in 3D and is in a shell format. Buys it again.

The mass market is pretty dumb guys. I wouldn't doubt this strategy (so we'll get a Wii 2 that's just a Wii U with no Gamepad)

wmlk

Nintendo wants money. Shocker.

I have the feeling that this 2DS will just make the developers & publishers not bother with 3D games for the 3DS versions, how can they make 3D games work on a 2D screen ?

I know you can vary the depth on the slider but games like Dark Moon, Mario 3D Land well most of the games have been designed to be played in 3D with depth.

No game needs 3D and no game ever did need 3D. It was always just a graphical... flourish.

There are plenty of games that have been ported to and from 3DS, and they've lost nothing in the transition to 3D or back to 2D. From Street Fighter IV to Mutant Mudds.

This really doesn't change anything. This is just a new model of the 3DS that has the slider turned down, meant to hit a budget price.

Nintendo entering desperation mode it seems.

"Desperation" is a word that's been thrown around a lot in this thread... I cannot understand in any way how this is desperation. It's trying to fill a market gap, compete with more expensive tablets, and reengage with the younger demographic that they've lost to "pass down" phone games.

Courage

Did the already successful 3DS really need an overhaul to just confuse the market for the attempt for extra sales at a lower pricepoint? As most people said, this renders the OG 3DS useless. And what the fuck at the console name, couldn't they just call it the 3DS Lite?

This makes me think that we will have a Wii U SKU with a pro controller instead of gamepad within a year.

Nintendo is 0 for 2 on hooks this gen, it's smart that they're doing something about it.

jmls1121

Banned
Did the already successful 3DS really need an overhaul to just confuse the market for the attempt for extra sales at a lower pricepoint? As most people said, this renders the OG 3DS useless. And what the fuck at the console name, couldn't they just call it the 3DS Lite?

They are trying to hammer home the point that 3D is ripped out of the system...for the concerned parents.

v1oz

The problem with this announcement for me.

"Were targeting 5-6 year olds"

A system for people 22 years younger than me. If Nintendo isnt trying to appeal to me with new hardware....whats to come of the software....

People your age are gaming on smart phones and tablets. Because they're certainly not buying the PS Vita.

And there is still the 3DS XL for older Nintendo gamers.

wmlk

The 3DS is nowhere near as successful as the DS. In Japan, the 3DS is performing much better. Hence, the 2DS is only being released in Nintendo's international markets.

Also, going by your notion, wasn't the 3DS a stupid name? Yet you still say it was "successful". If this is just a repeat with a stupid name but with a low price entry point, isn't that a good thing?

Top Bottom