• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Badge Arcade |OT| Gotta Grab 'em All

rpmurphy

Has anyone spent $30 or $40 on it? I think there was another FTP Nintendo game that had a spending cap on it. Or is this game unlimited?

I didn't think a crane game could be this fun. I do have good self control so I won't be spending a dime. I will buy Pokemon Picross 3DS when it comes out, just like I got Stretchmo.
I think there is a monthly spending cap on it but I forget the details if there is one.

georly

You're thinking of Pokémon Rumble World and Pokémon Picross which have an upper limit, which makes sense due to how it works.

This game does not have any limits, especially considering it gets weekly updates.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.

Pokemon picross is free to play? How did I miss that? Is it already out in japan? Nintendo direct was the first I've heard of it.

linid0t

This game seems like it could be ridiculously addictive. Managed to snag Ravio and Hilda with one play, but it was a close call - my heart was racing the whole time as I watched HIlda slip out, only to bounce into the prize area! Was pretty thrilling actually. Thankfully haven't spent a dime yet, but could totally see myself splurging when a cool set comes out or a nice theme...

foltzie1

Dear Nintendo (because I know you read NeoGaf),

The badge store is the kind of thing that should update automatically via SpotPass, we should only have to go "online" to purchase plays.

Otherwise, this is dangerously charming.

MrPanic

Ok, this game is pure evil, I really need to watch myself playing this game. Had a major whiff on my free play, good warning for me to not actually spend money on this elaborate scam. That rabbit is the devil incarnate.

foltzie1

Ok, this game is pure evil, I really need to watch myself playing this game. Had a major whiff on my free play, good warning for me to not actually spend money on this elaborate scam. That rabbit is the devil incarnate.

It seems that way, what else explains the red eyes and fire that appear at times?

I fucking see the two days left for the ALBW badges and I'm gone $8 against my better judgement for falling for these F2P game tactics.

And I still don't fucking have that Mii plaza badge because it's in that bouncing bullshit stage that just rips you off.

Never again. Deleting this shitty app.

Didn't know there was an OT.

Really love this app. If I wasn't such a penny pincher I'd buy plays but I'll wait till there's a theme I want.

The free plays make it all good. I'm sure certain themes rotate back at some point

Chrom

Question: Does anyone know anything about the collection upgrade levels? I'm at Level 3 (stone statue) with 74 badges and am curious how far it goes, but I haven't found anything on this.

JoeM86

Question: Does anyone know anything about the collection upgrade levels? I'm at Level 3 (stone statue) with 74 badges and am curious how far it goes, but I haven't found anything on this.

There are large gaps between Levels. I'm at Level 6 I think with ~500 badges

Dear Nintendo (because I know you read NeoGaf),

The badge store is the kind of thing that should update automatically via SpotPass, we should only have to go "online" to purchase plays.

Otherwise, this is dangerously charming.

It goes online each time to check for updates (even if SpotPass, it'd still need to check in case the SpotPass didn't update) and to make sure save data hasn't been altered

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.

Pokemon picross is free to play? How did I miss that? Is it already out in japan? Nintendo direct was the first I've heard of it.

Na not out yet. Will probably be like Shuffle/Rumble World where it's same day worldwide (that'll be fun for me)

Chrom

There are large gaps between Levels. I'm at Level 6 I think with ~500 badges

Nice. I'd ask what happens to the statue by then, but I think I'd rather it be a surprise to me for when I eventually get there. Either way, I still have to wonder if the upgrades ever stop or if there's a point in which you reach an ultimate one and trigger a staff roll or something.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Nice. I'd ask what happens to the statue by then, but I think I'd rather it be a surprise to me for when I eventually get there. Either way, I still have to wonder if the upgrades ever stop or if there's a point in which you reach an ultimate one and trigger a staff roll or something.
and hopefully total money spent :O

Mr-Joker

Banned
Is it normal to get every badge in practice run and not yield a single free play? ¬_¬;

Game is teasing me to pour money for that Rosalina and Peach badge but I refuse to pour, no gamble money for digital badges.

I hate, hate, hate the collection screen.
Why have completion percentages!?
Now I really feel like completing some of these sets, even though I don't want the badges :'(

rpmurphy

I think I'm at current max (level 10?).
Nothing special other than the statue being upgraded to the gold one with characters and more dialogue with the bunny.

Is it normal to get every badge in practice run and not yield a single free play? ¬_¬;

Game is teasing me to pour money for that Rosalina and Peach badge but I refuse to pour, no gamble money for digital badges.
Yeah, there's no guaranteed hidden, extra free plays in practice (which sucks), just that you get one for every ten dummy badges collected.

rpmurphy

Yeah, there's no guaranteed hidden, extra free plays in practice (which sucks), just that you get one for every ten dummy badges collected.
Some time ago, they changed the algorithm and the addition of a small win because people were going weeks without any winning badges. Still, I feel like if you are getting <10 practice badges, then the better the odds are that you win a free play.

daydream

Banned
asking again since no one replied: is there a way to get rid of the regular music, plaza, etc. icons without having to put them in a folder? so can i replace them directly with new ones from the badge arcade?

Blues1990

I'm indifferent towards the game itself, but I love that pink rabbit that runs the arcade. Fun character, and he made me laugh more often than I care to admit.

rpmurphy

asking again since no one replied: is there a way to get rid of the regular music, plaza, etc. icons without having to put them in a folder? so can i replace them directly with new ones from the badge arcade?
Mentioned earlier in the thread, but no. Squirrel them away in a junk folder.

jnWake

I downloaded this with no expectations and was surprised! It's super fun and stuff like the hammer is the classic Nintendo touch that takes classic ideas and makes them more unique.

I spent $2 but I doubt I'll spend more (hopefully haha). Got many 8 bit Zelda stuff. My Games folder is now a Fairy Fountain haha.

Chopper

Another day in EU, another unchanged selection of AC and Mario badges.

Got all the badges in practice mode again. The only free turn I got was one for winning 10 dummy badges. But I can't back out from the crane games now, and the bunny keeps telling me not to turn off the console (close the game) whilst playing. Am I being forced to use my free turn? Will I lose it if I close the game?

tmarg

Another day in EU, another unchanged selection of AC and Mario badges.

Got all the badges in practice mode again. The only free turn I got was one for winning 10 dummy badges. But I can't back out from the crane games now, and the bunny keeps telling me not to turn off the console (close the game) whilst playing. Am I being forced to use my free turn? Will I lose it if I close the game?

Yeah, you can't save up the free games, you need to use them immediately.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I only got 7 practice badges & I got the Stats icon which I never look at.

......least I got Settings....

Edit: It appears the bonus theme until the 17th at 5 a.m. is the castle theme from SMB.

tmarg

Do the free plays you earn from getting a number of practice badges carry over from day to day, or do you have to get 10 all in one go?

Robin64

Do the free plays you earn from getting a number of practice badges carry over from day to day, or do you have to get 10 all in one go?

The number of badges carry over, but once you trigger the free play you have to use it there and then.

The amount of dummy badges accumulate, but you have to use any free plays you earn immediately.

So if you got nine dummies today, tomorrow you'd only have to get one more to get a free play.

Skrams

Maybe it's because I really suck or because it's a crane game, but I only got 2 badges with 2 plays. My first play didn't even get me a badge. I thought the crane could help push the boxboy app launchers down the slope, but they're just too heavy. It's annoying because I want to give it a shot or two to try out a harder strategy than a simple grab and take, but I can't do much with 1 or 2 plays a day. I'll have to invest a lot of days to actually understand how the physics work so I could even have a chance at getting a good amount of badges with one try.

So pretty much the crane game wants my money.

I also still want some kid icarus badges.

Nice, between the free play they gave out and the one I got off the practice catcher, I managed to get the Triforce, which was the only ALBW one I particularly wanted before they disappear.

Maybe it's because I really suck or because it's a crane game, but I only got 2 badges with 2 plays. My first play didn't even get me a badge. I thought the crane could help push the boxboy app launchers down the slope, but they're just too heavy. It's annoying because I want to give it a shot or two to try out a harder strategy than a simple grab and take, but I can't do much with 1 or 2 plays a day. I'll have to invest a lot of days to actually understand how the physics work so I could even have a chance at getting a good amount of badges with one try.

It also depends on the panel layout. Some are pretty obvious for how to knock down several at once, like the "squid bridge."

tmarg

I think making it a slow burn that you play for just a few minutes each day was intentional. It lets Nintendo use it to promote stuff, like they are doing with Box Boy today. It also gives people a reason to turn on their 3DS every day and check in, even if they don't have a game they are actively playing.

Like you said, everyone will get better with practice, and if you figure an average of maybe 4 free plays a week, people who stick with it, even playing completely free, will eventually build up a pretty sizable collection.

I think it's too difficult to earn free-plays, this is the second day of not getting a bonus badge. Yesterday I got more than all the fake badges, and today I got three out of four.

I did get one for earning over ten practice badges, but I failed at making it worth, as I tried getting Blathers and the museum collection... And just missed on pulling him out of the gap.

And I still don't fucking have that Mii plaza badge because it's in that bouncing bullshit stage that just rips you off.

My bouncing stage has 4 badges and none of them were the Mii plaza. I just got the eshop one from there. There was a badge for the Mii creator app though. Do the stages vary from person to person?

My bouncing stage has 4 badges and none of them were the Mii plaza. I just got the eshop one from there. There was a badge for the Mii creator app though. Do the stages vary from person to person?
Not sure.

The ALBW eshop badge was in this one stage with these four pillars

The mii plaza one was in a box full of lava which made it bounce around everywhere

oti

Banned
I don't know how to feel about this. 1€ for 5 rounds is a tad much and why can't I use my play coins (even if it was a ridiculous amount even) but it's so DAMN CUTE and I want those SM3DW badges. :(

ajjow

This shot is addicting. Im controlling myself, but I think i cant control any longer.

Will we get a Kid Icarys or MK8 badges soon?

dity

So I had a go at this. They've emulated the feel of a real crane game well, but it feels like $1.5 for 5 plays is too steep. Well, for just pixels I might not even use anyway.

So the EU badges are the exact same ones as yesterday and I got 1 dummy badge from my 5 practice plays. If I spent money on this I'd feel ripped off.

I really don't know about this.

Could someone take pictures of the available US panels? Because the ones I have seem really hard and unfair.

EDIT: This was my practice round. I managed to grab the first two "handles" in one play, but the left one fell back onto the field again instead of into the hole with the handle facing downwards and the other two on the left tumbled down in a way that made it impossible for me to get more so the other practice plays were wasted. Directly grabbing the square didn't work because it'd fall out of the catcher because of gravity.
UMvsQpo.jpg

And how am I supposed to get Isabelle here?
OIr wtf is this even?

WTF I thought this thing gave you a free play each day, but the rabbit says its only on promotions days.
How regular are this promotions, becuase if they are far from each other this program is waisting my time and sd space.

And pretty sad they force you the first day into the boring SMB1 sprites panel.

Although I would say the rabbit turning into a real one was pretty funny.

Top Bottom