• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo brings Picross into a new dimension - this February!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The sequel to the GotY 2007! Awesome!

Edit: Fucking NoE???!!!! Alright I officially hate Nintendo again.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Europe gets Picross 3D

America gets Glory of Heracles, WarioWare DIY and Pokemon Silver/Gold remakes.

I can't see how we're (NA) is getting screwed compared to Europe. Its not like Picross 3D won't be popping up in April or something.

RayStorm

grandjedi6 said:
Europe gets Picross 3D

America gets Glory of Heracles, WarioWare DIY and Pokemon Silver/Gold remakes.

I can't see how we're (NA) is getting screwed compared to Europe. Its not like Picross 3D won't be popping up in April or something.

You clearly never played Picross!

Jme

you know, i got the JP import pretty much day one, and i am still playing it to this day... and i am still on new puzzles...
I think I'm nearly done - and mind you i don't play for HOURS every day. but I do probably give it about 20-30 minutes a few times a week.

my point is this game has kept my attention and has a wealth of content. enjoy europe!

i like it much more than your standard 2d picross as well. just saying.

Shiggy

Delayed by a month :/
That's probably why we didn't get an official press release. Now it's scheduled to coincide with the release of the Nintendo DSi XL (which was also tentatively scheduled for a release in February).

You guys need to seriously lower your expectations.

It's an alright game, but nothing more. There are too many flaws (notably that it's pathetically easy) for it to be any better. You'll enjoy it for a time, but it's really boring past that. You don't really solve puzzles, you just go through the motions until they're done.

There's going to be a lot of disappointed people when the initial charm wears off.

None of that applies if you love Picross DS, because clearly you have low standards anyway :p

bon

toythatkills said:
You guys need to seriously lower your expectations.

It's an alright game, but nothing more. There are too many flaws (notably that it's pathetically easy) for it to be any better. You'll enjoy it for a time, but it's really boring past that. You don't really solve puzzles, you just go through the motions until they're done.

There's going to be a lot of disappointed people when the initial charm wears off.

None of that applies if you love Picross DS, because clearly you have low standards anyway :p
Why would anybody be excited about this if they didn't already love Picross?

Ranger X

Shiggy said:
Delayed by a month :/
That's probably why we didn't get an official press release. Now it's scheduled to coincide with the release of the Nintendo DSi XL (which was also tentatively scheduled for a release in February).

This is for Europe right?

I wish we had at least had a tentative date for America.

Shiggy

4278672795_8b90b9764b_o.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
toythatkills said:
Loving Picross and loving Picross DS aren't the same thing.
That's not true at all, they're unique games but they share the same basic logic principles.

nli10

My local GameStation didn't even have this listed on their computer system as they never have got copies...

May have to order online instead.

mattiewheels said:
That's not true at all, they're unique games but they share the same basic logic principles.
Blimey, that post was from months ago.

You misunderstand.

While you're wrong and they don't really share the same logic principles (Picross DS brazenly includes guessing as a feature of its puzzles) that wasn't my point.

Picross DS controls horribly to the point of being unplayable, for the most part, if you want to use the stylus. So liking Picross doesn't mean you'd like Picross DS. I certainly don't.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
toythatkills said:

You misunderstand.

While you're wrong and they don't really share the same logic principles (Picross DS brazenly includes guessing as a feature of its puzzles) that wasn't my point.

Picross DS controls horribly to the point of being unplayable, for the most part, if you want to use the stylus. So liking Picross doesn't mean you'd like Picross DS. I certainly don't.

If you had to guess in Picross DS then you were doing it wrong (seriously).

As for the controls, I primarily used the buttons and it controlled fine.

OMG Aero

I played the demo on the Nintendo Channel today and it seems pretty fun, but I think I'll wait for cheap deals before buying it.

Man, it just bugs me that Nintendo listed this for Q4 2009 originally in the US, and now it's been delayed at least four months even though effectively the same version came out only three months after Q4 2009.

This game rocks! Got it a few days ago, just as brilliant as Picross DS (Though that strange cube duck character is just plain creepy :lol)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
toythatkills: oh, so you specifically mean picross ds and not just picross in general. Ok. And I always figured that guessing was never a last resort, that you always had everything you needed to solve a puzzle in the clues.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
toythatkills said:
I stopped playing when it actively began to encourage it.
That's when it got especially fun for me.

You really never have to, sometimes it takes a while to figure out the next step.
Or do you mean you didn't like using the overlays for the larger puzzles?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
toythatkills said:
I stopped playing when it actively began to encourage it.
I completed every puzzle and not once did I have to guess. You just did it wrong.

dallow_bg said:
Or do you mean you didn't like using the overlays for the larger puzzles?
That has to be it. Overlays became critical pretty quickly.

bon

toythatkills said:

You misunderstand.

Personally I didn't have any problems with the stylus controls. They felt very natural to me.

Chris R

toythatkills said:
While you're wrong and they don't really share the same logic principles (Picross DS brazenly includes guessing as a feature of its puzzles) that wasn't my point
I would hope there would be NO guessing at all. The whole thing about Picross is that everything should be solveable using just pure logic and different techniques. Same goes with Sudoku and other logic games. If there is guessing in this I might have to pass, though I would really like a new Picross game to jump into :( Might just ask for it for my birthday instead.

Uuuuuuugggghhhhhhhh, I want this so fucking bad.

Are there any other Picross-like DS games? Aside from the original Picross DS, of course.

Gameboy415

Night_Trekker said:
Uuuuuuugggghhhhhhhh, I want this so fucking bad.

Are there any other Picross-like DS games? Aside from the original Picross DS, of course.

You need to find a copy of IllustLogic/Colorful-Logic for DS!

pa.100667.1.jpg

It has more puzzles than Picross DS in the Illustlogic half, and Colorful-Logic adds to the difficulty by making you solve the puzzles in color.

pa.100667.3.jpg

There's a version available for Wii also, but I haven't played that one so I don't know much about it. It may have the exact same puzzles as the DS one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom