• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

Out of curiosity, how much of the applause from conferences is real, and how much is fake?

Is there any genuine applause in any of the conferences?

Spaghetti

I just don't see why Sony is praised for its "here's a game that hasn't even been started yet and will probably not come out until 2020 or so" (FFVII Remake, Death Stranding) conferences. They don't do what E3 is supposed to do: provide information on what new hardware and software is coming in the upcoming year. That's what I watch E3 for, and the Sony shows especially are overblown theatrical spectacles that focus on titles YEARS from completion.
That's fair enough, but as you'll see from my post I'm picking you up specifically on Shenmue III - a game that had to be revealed early in order to get funded, and has since (smartly, I think) submerged to let the developers get on with it without playing into a strung-out AAA-style press cycle.

Mentok

Banned
ImOkayWithThis.gif

Directs are focused, with no (or few) awkward moments compared to E3 conferences. Direct + Treehouse is always better than what Nintendo does live (at least going back to the Wii).

Piscus

Personally I like the live stage presentations better. It's feels more real somehow idk how to explain. As for the trees houses, I don't like the people hosting it they feel like non gamers actors hired to do that.
Those are actual Nintendo employees who actually work on the games. Maybe they aren't gamers somehow, but they're the actual game makers.

Crocodile

Treehouse are gamers. I dunno how they're not somehow when they got into the industry because of their love of games.

They aren't hardcore and radical enough man! Way too many of them are in shape and have good hygiene! Plus can't you see how many of them are women? No way you can have a big group of gamers like that and have so many of them be women! DECEPTION I say!

Hopefully it's obvious I'm shitposting LOL.Though I'm sure some people out there on the internet actually think like that.

ImOkayWithThis.gif

Directs are focused, with no (or few) awkward moments compared to E3 conferences. Direct + Treehouse is always better than what Nintendo does live (at least going back to the Wii).

Direct are only a good solution for nintendo because they can't do Lives properly.

And i'm basing this sentence on what they did with the switch reveal live.

Platy

Nintendo isn't going to even be at E3.

They have the biggest amount of showfloor of E3.
They will have treehouse stream and Splatoon tournament outside of the direct.

And it is the console's first E3, which is always amazing, even if is like Xbox one's that was full of amazing games that got cancelled in the following years =P

I'm only ok with this because Nintendo is usually bad with their live presentations.

Live conferences are more exciting to me, but I understand more things can go wrong in that format.

Nanashrew

Banned
They aren't hardcore and radical enough man! Way too many of them are in shape and have good hygiene! Plus can't you see how many of them are women? No way you can have a big group of gamers like that and have so many of them be women! DECEPTION I say!

Hopefully it's obvious I'm shitposting LOL.Though I'm sure some people out there on the internet actually think like that.

I hope no one thinks that. Two in particular I know stream games, one is even a big game collector, the other has gotten into speed running and has attended AGDQs.

Mediking

Does anyone think there is a chance Nintendo bombs out and doesn't have a great E3? Specifically related to third party support?

The only one of the Big 3 thats prolly gonna have a bad E3 is... Microsoft.

And Switch's big 3rd party is gonna come. Give it time.

In the meantime... we need Pokemon and
Animal Crossing and Metriod and the list runs on.

Wagram

I just don't see why Sony is praised for its "here's a game that hasn't even been started yet and will probably not come out until 2020 or so" (FFVII Remake, Death Stranding) conferences. They don't do what E3 is supposed to do: provide information on what new hardware and software is coming in the upcoming year. That's what I watch E3 for, and the Sony shows especially are overblown theatrical spectacles that focus on titles YEARS from completion.

E3 is a platform for upcoming titles. Far off experiences can and should be included in that. My only problem is when a title is repeatedly shown over and over, year after year. I personally believe you should only ever have two appearances on a stage. E3 isn't only about the upcoming year. Their conferences are fun and memorable because of it. The competition generally has very good shows, but when's the last time that Microsoft literally blew the roof off with an amazing show? I can't recall one.

E3 is a platform for upcoming titles. Far off experiences can and should be included in that. My only problem is when a title is repeatedly shown over and over, year after year. I personally believe you should only ever have two appearances on a stage. E3 isn't only about the upcoming year. Their conferences are fun and memorable because of it. The competition generally has very good shows, but when's the last time that Microsoft literally blew the roof off with an amazing show? I can't recall one.

E3 2013 & E3 2014 were E3s were microsoft annonced a bunch of titles.People still remember those promises.

Metalmarc

I'm a bit more excited for E3 time this year than my actual birthday at the end of may haha, okay we know Nintendo are not there again, but so long as they have a great direct, i'll be happy as that will be my decider on whether i'll be getting a switch this christmas or not.

jariw

I'm a bit more excited for E3 time this year than my actual birthday at the end of may haha, okay we know Nintendo are not there again, but so long as they have a great direct, i'll be happy as that will be my decider on whether i'll be getting a switch this christmas or not.

Nintendo is at E3.

How is Nintendo not there again? A conference doesn't mean anything? Do people think Capcom are never there?

Out of curiosity, how much of the applause from conferences is real, and how much is fake?

Every press conference is going to have internal teams present, and those employees are obviously going to cheer for anything.

As for actual paid applause sections, it seems entirely possible that they've been used - but I don't know if evidence has been found to prove such activity. I know Ubisoft hired some cosplayers a few events back, but as far as paid attendees doing nothing but cheering - no idea.

phanphare

Banned

022600963_targetfloorggyvf.png

this is why some of the gaming press outlets wording Nintendo's presentation choices the way they do are problematic. A) people don't even know what E3 is anymore and B) you get uninformed people thinking they're not uninformed because of where they got their news. places like destructoid know exactly what they're doing too which makes the ego stroking gifs and memes more on point.

this is why some of the gaming press outlets wording Nintendo's presentation choices the way they do are problematic. A) people don't even know what E3 is anymore and B) you get uninformed people thinking they're not uninformed because of where they got their news. places like destructoid know exactly what they're doing too which makes the ego stroking gifs and memes more on point.

Dude this is a dedicated video game website. We're like this biggest nerds in video gaming. E3 has been around for over 2 decades. People on here should know what E3 is. Like are people seriously just pretending that a conference means your at E3? Does that mean Capcom and other third party devs aren't at E3 since they've never have a live press conference.

Everyone on here should know developers have room on the floor and that's what E3 is. I just don't get how people are equating a live press conference means you're at E3...

koss424

Does anyone think there is a chance Nintendo bombs out and doesn't have a great E3? Specifically related to third party support?

I'm mean if they only showed Zelda this year that would be pretty bad.

But there are loads of bottom shelf offering that Nintendo can announce for the Switch this year that have been speculated but not made official yet.

Acting like fans don't get to go and also appreciate the live on stage aspects. Sony's E3 2015 is an outstanding reminder of this and will continue to be.

No? E3 press conferences are press/industry only. It's a business event. Not that the bar of professionalism is particularly high, but still.

Watching a conference with a live audience gives that inclusive affects a pre-recorded stream can never give.

I honestly have to say I don't get it. I don't get how I'm supposed to feel included with a mass of hundreds of faceless bloggers and paid clappers. I can easily seek out people whom I identify with on social media and enjoy their on-stream reactions instead, making the crowd redundant (and even a nuisance). The reactions of diehard fans like Zeltik, or even a handful of gamers who ventured to the Nintendo World Store to watch the big screen, are worth so much more than the roar of a thousand people with websites.

ldar247

Banned
I am not a fan at all of those live pressers. So much fumbling, dead air, horrible hype men. Just show me the trailers and tell me the release dates and GTFO. I don't need to waste 2 hours to see 10 minutes of trailers.

This. In fact why even bother having Directs? You can get information on upcoming games out more efficiently by just putting up a blurb on a website somewhere and uploading trailers to youtube. Video presentations are unnecessary and a complete waste of time. Nintendo Directs need to be abolished.

BD1

Banned
I think it's 0% we see Kimishima in any skit at E3 or any type of "gimmick". He's not that type of person.

I dunno, I think Kimishima is a bit more playful than most give him credit for. To your point though, he is not like Iwata. I expect some combination of Reggie, Miyamoto and Koizumi.

While the spectacle of a live show can be fun, I'm glad they are sticking with the new format. A well produced Direct + hours of Treehouse Live is best presentation in the industry.

The Giant

Banned

Almost all of Microsoft applause are fake. They have Microsoft employees doing all the cheering. Was it e3 2015 where MS employees where at the front cheering for every announcements?

They have the biggest amount of showfloor of E3.
They will have treehouse stream and Splatoon tournament outside of the direct.

And it is the console's first E3, which is always amazing, even if is like Xbox one's that was full of amazing games that got cancelled in the following years =P

Yeah, I was just joking around lol.

I dunno, I think Kimishima is a bit more playful than most give him credit for. To your point though, he is not like Iwata. I expect some combination of Reggie, Miyamoto and Koizumi.

While the spectacle of a live show can be fun, I'm glad they are sticking with the new format. A well produced Direct + hours of Treehouse Live is best presentation in the industry.

A well produced Direct + Treehouse is the best thing. Having that gameplay to show after is so good. I can sit at my computer all day and watch them play new games and talk with developers about them. The Treehouse is one of the best things they've created.

Neoxon

But Nintendo is at E3, they haven't stopped going to E3.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
For reference, Nintendo announced its E3 2016 plans on May 05, 2016, 08:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time. Below is a countdown to this time this year:

t1493985600z1.png

I am not saying they will announce something then, it's just something to go by. It could be this week, it could be next. Very soon I would think anyhow.

Rösti;235582927 said:
For reference, Nintendo announced its [URL="http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160505005536/en/Legend-Zelda-Wii-Playable-Time-E3]E3 2016 plans[/URL] on May 05, 2016, 08:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time. Below is a countdown to this time this year:

t1493985600z1.png

I am not saying they will announce something then, it's just something to go by. It could be this week, it could be next. Very soon I would think anyhow.
Hoping for a skit. More fun then reading a press release.

Rösti;235582927 said:
For reference, Nintendo announced its [URL="http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160505005536/en/Legend-Zelda-Wii-Playable-Time-E3]E3 2016 plans[/URL] on May 05, 2016, 08:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time. Below is a countdown to this time this year:

t1493985600z1.png

It has to be tomorrow or Friday. I can feel it.

Passose

Banned
Rösti;235582927 said:
For reference, Nintendo announced its E3 2016 plans on May 05, 2016, 08:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time. Below is a countdown to this time this year:

t1493985600z1.png

wait, May 5th, maybe there is going to be a direct for the announcement

night814

They just did a live presentation a few months ago and it was about as hit and miss as you can get. This is their best bet, and it needs to be GAMES GAMES GAMES

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's past May 5, 08:00 AM EDT now and no press release or announcement video in sight. It's quite early in Redmond though still, so something could still be announced today.

For what it's worth, Nintendo's E3 press site seems to be experiencing some issues right now, runtime errors and whatnot. It worked fine yesterday, perhaps they are updating it?

Added: I saw most recent press releases on Business Wire appear to be published 09:00 AM EDT.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Rösti;235808182 said:
Well, it's past May 5, 08:00 AM EDT now and no press release or announcement video in sight. It's quite early in Redmond though still, so something could still be announced today.

For what it's worth, Nintendo's E3 press site seems to be experiencing some issues right now, runtime errors and whatnot. It worked fine yesterday, perhaps they are updating it?

Added: I saw most recent press releases on Business Wire appear to be published 09:00 AM EDT.

It can't be overstated how valuable the meticulous work you do is, Rosti

Rösti;235808182 said:

Rosti, you do the work of champions and I can't express how much I appreciate it. You're awesome.

Rösti;235808182 said:

So we still have a chance for today? I'll give it another half hour then it's time to give up on this week.

Top Bottom