• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo console sales: From Wii U to NES

Ninja Dom

Talk of the current situation with the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U is carrying over here in the Nintendo full year fiscal results thread.

But have a look at these to see how many units of all other Nintendo consoles have sold with their software sales.

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

Nintendoconsoles_zpsf4c89d67.jpg

Wii U potentially the first Nintendo system to fail to break 100 million software. The third parties simply aren't there.

Grimløck;110926942 said:
the SNES sold only 49 million?

Yep. It's interesting to look at NES through GameCube, because in raw numbers (not taking into account the inflated market that came post-PlayStation) the gen-on-gen decline was pretty close for each successive console. It's like, the industry grew but Nintendo's audience was isolated from that and just contracted each time. Taking Wii as an anomaly, if the Wii U gets to, say, 12m, it'll look spookily like a decades-old pattern has resumed.

Wii U potentially the first Nintendo system to fail to break 100 million software. The third parties simply aren't there.

Virtual Boy?

That image is showing total overall system sales for the previous ninty consoles/handhelds right? Do we have comparisons for sales for the 1st to 2nd years of those systems as well?

1. Will the 3DS outsell the GBA?
2. Will the Wii U outsell the Gamecube?

The Gamecube had a good software attach rate. Do the new figures include downloaded sales?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really don't understand looking at those numbers why any company would develop for WiiU.

fedexpeon

Banned
So more than an avg of 10M decline each generation from NES-WiiU?*

*Wii is an outlier, and should not be used for forecasting...Which I guess Nintendo had been doing these past years for WiiU forecast, but that is hindsight I guess.
But now, the new data matches up with WiiU forecast sales for 2014-2015, more reasonable/humble number I guess.

Coolwhip

Banned
gen 1: NES 62 million / Gameboy 118 million
gen 5: Wii 101 million / DS 154 million

Funny how these two generations have a lot in common.

D.Lo

Famicom would surely be 100+ million if counting all the pirate hardware that was made. Most pirated chipset of all time.

I've gone ahead and calculated the attach rates for comparison (sorry if someone else already posted while I was doing the math)

NES: 8.08
SNES: 7.72
N64: 6.83
GCN: 9.59
Wii: 8.86
Wii U: 5.23

GB/C: 4.22
GBA: 4.63
DS: 6.13
3DS: 3.76

SmokyDave

Looks like they'll have their worst selling console and handheld this gen.

3DS still rocking that poor attach rate. Less than four games per unit? Madness.

mclem

Attach rates are interesting here.

NES: 8.08
SNES: 7.72
N64: 6.83
GC: 9.59 (!)
Wii: 8.86
Wii U: 5.23

GB/GBC: 4.22 (Rather low. Reduced by people buying multiple systems for the family but sharing the same games?)
GBA: 4.63
DS: 6.13
3DS: 3.76

That Gamecube attach rate was ridiculous. Do we have any figures for Playstations, Xboxes and Sega systems through the years?

Edit: Poop, beaten to the same maths.

nikatapi

3DS still rocking that poor attach rate. Less than four games per unit? Madness.

I guess used games also play their role, at least looking at myself and some of my friends. More than half my (20) retail games were bought as used.

SmokyDave

I have 37 3DS games. Really puts things into perspective. Crazy!
I don't even like the machine and I've got three times as many games as the average owner.

I suspect many of the purchasers are so young that they have to wait for birthdays and xmas to get new games.

I guess used games also play their role, at least looking at myself and some of my friends. More than half my (20) retail games were bought as used.
Nah, used games have always been around. The GB, GBA, and DS also had piracy to deal with.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really don't understand looking at these numbers why any company wouldn't develop for Gamecube. But, well, they didn't.

Because PS2 had an attach rate over 6 with consoles sales in excess of 150 Million.

xandaca

Jesus, if the Wii U's already been on the market two years and probably has two or three more, will it even break the 10m sold barrier?

So Gameboy color is included in the Gameboy sales figure? I always considered it as a new handheld, not a revision. It looks like WiiU might actually become the worst selling Nintendo console, next to the virtual boy.

Grimløck;110926942 said:

The original Nintendo had the whole market to itself. I think the Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive was estimated to have sold about 39 million units worldwide, and that took a bite out of SNES sales in many regions. The PC Engine/ TG-16 was estimated to have sold around 10 million units worldwide.

Those Wii-U numbers are so painful.

nikatapi

But why now more than before? That 9.59 attach rate on the Gamecube is insanity.

Yeah maybe i'm looking it from my perspective since it's the first console i bought used games for.

Gamecube was fucking awesome, it had so many great games and it still had most of the 3rd party games, so maybe coming from the N64 many of the owners didn't buy another console like ps2 or xbox.

Some Nobody

Man, I said what's happening with the Wii U would happen back in 2008 but no one would listen to me. Nintendo's going to have to be radical with whatever they do next.

Jesus, if the Wii U's already been on the market two years and probably has two or three more, will it even break the 10m sold barrier?

They are forecasting 3.6m for the next FY, which is a highly optimistic number to me, Wii U should hit 10m by 2016.

cyberheater

30-40 quid for the software. It's hardly surprising.

Grimløck;110926942 said:

Back then consoles were for kids and only kids. The market has expanded since then as those kids (like me) have grown up and continue to play games, while new kids come on board.

Yoroshiku

Banned
So Gameboy color is included in the Gameboy sales figure? I always considered it as a new handheld, not a revision. It looks like WiiU might actually become the worst selling Nintendo console, next to the virtual boy.
Game Boy Color is to Game Boy what Nintendo DSi is to Nintendo DS.
Both of them had software that couldn't be played on the older models, yet both were formally not new hardware series.
I'd say it worked and both of them successfully extended the lifespan of their hardware series.

Some Nobody

They are forecasting 3.6m for the next FY, which is a highly optimistic number to me, Wii U should hit 10m by 2016.

I thought their prediction was up to March 2015? In which case they'd hit it sometime in 2015 since 6.3+3.6 is just 100k away anyways.

If they make their next system in 2016, they'll probably end with 12m, 15m tops for the Wii U.

Cheerilee

Famicom
Japan - 19.35 million
America - 34.00 million
PAL - 8.56 million

Super Famicom
Japan - 17.17 million
America - 23.35 million
PAL - 8.58 million

N64
Japan - 5.54 million
America - 20.63 million
PAL - 6.75

GameCube
Japan - 4.04 million
America - 12.94 million
PAL - 4.77 million

The industry has been growing, but SNES got hurt by Sega Genesis stealing marketshare, primarily in America.

N64 got smashed by NCL's decision to give the middle finger to third parties and go with carts. NOA managed to salvage an SNES-level victory by appealing to Western developers.

Iwata was tasked by Yamauchi to win back Japanese third parties with the GameCube (Iwata was the head of planning before he became President), and he failed at that, but in the process he cut NOA's balls off and handed the American market over to Xbox. Right around the time that the American market was set to explode.

Top Bottom