• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo decides to charge $25 (via an Amiibo) for a QoL feature in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

If there was a guarantee that everyone that will likely purchase this game can get one of the Amibos if they wanted to without markups, then fine. However, we know how this is going to go. Those scalpers are going to snatch those up and will be double the prices within hours of launch.

Why is anyone fast-travelling in Skyward Sword in the first place? This was by far the most linear Zelda game ever made and there is just about no reason to even use the fast travel stations, let alone use this Amiibo fast travel setup. At best this might save you a few minutes over the span of the entire game.

Zannegan

The problem with stupid shit like this is most fans would have bought it anyway. The number of people who will be incentivised to buy it for this reason alone is a fraction of a fraction. It only serves to piss people off for very little benefit.
Yep. In fact, I am now not buying the amiibo, (which I might have liked just as a figurine) just because of this added "feature." I'm sure I'm in the minority, and don't expect my "vote" to be noticed as there will be plenty of demand, but this sort of thing I don't support.

Ikutachi

Why is anyone fast-travelling in Skyward Sword in the first place? This was by far the most linear Zelda game ever made and there is just about no reason to even use the fast travel stations, let alone use this Amiibo fast travel setup. At best this might save you a few minutes over the span of the entire game.
The flying is unfun.

imagine if you had to pay 25$ for 30 lives in Contra?

Cracking Up Reaction GIF by Bounce

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

So the port will have a feature to let you switch from sky to land anywhere, anytime, instead of using specific statues. The only catch is to unlock the feature you'll need to buy an Amiibo, an extra expensive one at that, $25. What do fans think of this "pay for features" model Nintendo is going for?

Amiibos are stupid and so are the people who buy them

Alebrije

Good guy Nintendo improving a game for just 25 bucks and you also get a well done figure, meanwhile companies like CDPR lie to consumers and sell a broken game , or EA becoming a gambling company instead of a gaming one..

Nobody forces to buy this figure and without it you play the game as it was released originally.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Zelda 3D All Stars was an option but people negatively reacted to limited digital release of the first party Mario 3D All Stars. As a compromise you now pay full whack for the prolonged chance to buy one of the games. Thanks Nintendo
Mario sold 9 million copies. “Negative reaction” from a couple of thousand people on forums and Reddit is not the reason there’s no Zelda All Stars lol.

Shifty1897

You just have to wonder if this game is going to get the reverse Nier Replicant treatment and be critically panned now because of how disliked the original game was by everyone except the press.

I'm still pissed that I bought this at full price because IGN gave it a 10.

VALCON 82

I wish Kojima would have put some quasi mind shit behind the Death stranding collectors edition baby thing..to where you would have to plug it in to a USB port on console to get a mini game of PT.. there would be terror in the streets for that damn baby pod thing

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Mario sold 9 million copies. “Negative reaction” from a couple of thousand people on forums and Reddit is not the reason there’s no Zelda All Stars lol.
I was being sarcastic. Saying Nintendo can legally only sell $20 games for a short period. If you want a longer window to buy, you pay full whack.

The Mario All Stars data probably showed that Nintendo could have sold each game for $30 and got away with it. Skyward Sword's pricing probably is them testing the demand for Wii games at full price. Expect full priced Wii remasters next since the Wii U is milked.

Again, it's just a cheat code, more or less. It's like using various amiibo in mario games to gain a free powerup at any time... who cares? What a strange thing to get upset by. The game already is too easy as you progress, and the last thing it ever needed was even further reduced difficulty.

They should have made an amiibo of Fi. When you scan her amiibo she gives you hints. Otherwise, they're all disabled.

I would buy an Amiibo just to silence her.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There's already a thread for that. Guess it wasn't enough outrage for you, gotta repeat it every day. Lol. People who know the game and don't troll are more likely to complain it's too minor and insignificant to be honest.
Almost (?) all amiibos add some kind of in game thing, that's been the whole line's schtick since 2014, it's both physical and in game. If you thought (wrong) others are more minor and this one isn't doesn't change shit.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

I think it sucks! I can live with cosmetic features as some form of payed additional content, but something substantial like that shouldn't be behind a paywall, especially if it is basically just a feature and costs 25 bucks - that's ridiculous!

don't care about the fast travel feature, Just want another cool amiibo on my shelf. Scalpers will make sure I never get one though.

Last edited:

HF2014

A lot seem to forget that Nintendo is a toy company, and always as been. Sure they make great games, but its not their only focus. How many special accesories, editions of stuff have they released? They did it with Wolf Link with TP, im not surprised. Real fans will grab it, the others will whine about it 😉

Kataploom

Gold Member
People crying cause Nintendo "violates their rights" to have their goods for cheap as if they sold food or medicines.

These are just toys, Nintendo, Sony and MS consoles are just toys and games are just that, toys, land your feet, people. Nobody is obligated to sell at lower prices just because "others do", saying they should is actually wanting to violate other's right to freely do marketing.

If people don't like it, they won't buy it at the price offered (Now you know why Sony games won't stay at full price for long) and Amiibo are specially targeted to fans so they will buy it because of the figurine itself. Heck, I don't even have amiibos cause I don't like having junk around when movin out and always forget about digital bonuses.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Well, the sad truth is that it exists because people pay for this. It's kind of the same as scalpers.

There would not be any if people were smart and patient enough to avoid these POS practice.

Just don't encourage these practice and it will discourage those who try making money out of people scared of missing out.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I was being sarcastic. Saying Nintendo can legally only sell $20 games for a short period. If you want a longer window to buy, you pay full whack.

The Mario All Stars data probably showed that Nintendo could have sold each game for $30 and got away with it. Skyward Sword's pricing probably is them testing the demand for Wii games at full price. Expect full priced Wii remasters next since the Wii U is milked.
There’s a $60 Wind Waker / Twilight Princess HD double pack coming in Autumn according to people in the know.

Saber

Frankly, after that Mario collection being time-limited nothing surprises me. They can do whatever they want and avoid any kinda of backlash.

And if people think this is nothing, try changing companies and see if things ends differently. No way people would be ok with a quality change(which is free in all cases) behind a paywall.

Last edited:

Bridges

This sucks, sounds like something that shouldn't been included in the re-release.

It's been quite a few years since I bought any amiibo, but are they really $25 now? I thought they were closer to $15 MSRP back when they first came out? I definitely overpaid for a couple during the height of the craze where they were hard to find, but paying that much up front now seems like a bit much.

mcjmetroid

People crying cause Nintendo "violates their rights" to have their goods for cheap as if they sold food or medicines.

These are just toys, Nintendo, Sony and MS consoles are just toys and games are just that, toys, land your feet, people. Nobody is obligated to sell at lower prices just because "others do", saying they should is actually wanting to violate other's right to freely do marketing.

If people don't like it, they won't buy it at the price offered (Now you know why Sony games won't stay at full price for long) and Amiibo are specially targeted to fans so they will buy it because of the figurine itself. Heck, I don't even have amiibos cause I don't like having junk around when movin out and always forget about digital bonuses.
These kind of posts..

You're on a gaming forum where we discuss games not an economics forum.

Why bother discussing anything to do with gaming with that outlook.

" Oh well they're all just toys anyway, glad I'm I'm acting superior about gaming on a gaming forum"
There’s a $60 Wind Waker / Twilight Princess HD double pack coming in Autumn according to people in the know.
Don't see them releasing those so close to skyward sword so I doubt it. Not this year I'd say.
It's not linear as in a straight line that has levels. There are worlds to explore. To get between them you have to travel in the sky.
Which isn't that much fun and takes a while.

One of the biggest complaints about skyward sword is the padding. There is a fuckton. Anything to speed this up IS QOL.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I’ve beaten the game and wasn’t blown away by it, but I’ll admit I don’t see the utility here. My memory sucks though, can someone break it down? This lets you transport instantly to the flying bird so you can travel between worlds?

Kataploom

Gold Member
These kind of posts..

You're on a gaming forum where we discuss games not an economics forum.

By that logic we shouldn't even complain about Nintendo prices but the quality (or lack of) of their software. I mean, I'm getting the game cause I never played it on the Wii, but won't care about the amiibo so won't buy, it's as simple as that.

Regarding the functionality, yeah, it's too bothersome having to put the amiibo in the controller by each fast travel tbh, I don't even think that's an upgrade honestly...

dcmk7

Banned
I wish gamers didn't allow this kind of stuff to stand, at the very least vote with their wallets.

The times when gamers have been united it's worked really well.. managed to reverse the disastrously out of touch Xbox One reveal and have completely changed the Star Wars battlefront game.

To a lesser extent the Xbox Live Gold price hike was reversed.

Nintendo does seem to get a free pass whenever they want to exploit their fanbase and to a lesser extent Sony does too.

MrA

I wish gamers didn't allow this kind of stuff to stand, at the very least vote with their wallets.

The times when gamers have been united it's worked really well.. managed to reverse the disastrously out of touch Xbox One reveal and have completely changed the Star Wars battlefront game.

To a lesser extent the Xbox Live Gold price hike was reversed.

Nintendo does seem to get a free pass whenever they want to exploit their fanbase and to a lesser extent Sony does too.
no Nintendo doesn't at least no worse than the other 2, the 3ds struggled at launch the Wii u crashed and burned, not to mention the ps4/5 and xbone/sex microtransaction machines on 60 dollar games
that said hopefully this does crash and burn

PhoenixTank

Like if Wind Waker HD required you to buy a sail Amiibo or, more charitably, a Red Lion Amiibo for the "I make my own wind, FU" sail upgrade.
Nah.

LMJ

The collectable is the point. The point is the Amiibo bonuses aren't DLC. They're not supposed to be in the game. You get the extra stuff as a bonus for buying the collectable, not the other way around. If the bonus was the point, Nintendo would have been far more serious about making sure you actually own the amiibo when you activate it, and aren't just using some phone app or cloned card.

Except once again if the collectable WERE the point, they wouldn't NEED to include any extras...

The Amiibo line was software AND collectable together, memory cards that stored your data and could be played on any WiiU/then 3DS and now Switch, they were marketed as such. If the Collectable was the point Nintendo doesn't need the NFC code, people (myself included) buy merch regardless because we WANT the collectable. The "extras" are a miserly way on Nintendo's part to squeeze more money out of a loyal fanbase to unlock all the extras in their games. Sorry still think it's gross.

Top Bottom