• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Deletes Every Stage By Prominent Mario Maker Speedrunner (Kotaku)

Yeah, this seems to be getting worse, Nintendo needs to address this soon.

Meanwhile a handful of Japanese kids making nothing but music player stages and troll levels are still at the very top of the creator heap and doing just fine as they flood the server with endless trash while creative guys like this get punished without any logical explanation.

Vena

No accountability, no appeals process, not even "this is why we took all your hard work and threw it away". That's an archaic way to approach a system thats very design is to create and share levels.

What are you talking about?

You can appeal it. That's half of this article if it hadn't been cropped as it was by Nook.

Problem being that you shouldn't have to appeal to even begin to find out why it was deleted in the first place.

Nekofrog

Banned
You can appeal it. That's half of this article if it hadn't been cropped as it was by Nook.

Problem being that you shouldn't have to appeal to even begin to find out why it was deleted in the first place.

Does the appeal actually do anything?

Vena

Does it at least save locally so you still have all that work you put in?

The levels are always on your machine unless you delete them, since you save them there first anyway. But you cannot re-upload a deleted level. (But you can copy it to a new one, but that's a bit on the tedious side.)

Does the appeal actually do anything?

That's where the moderation clusterfuck comes in. You can appeal it, have the level "okayed" and be unable to re-upload it because of how the system is geared. See above.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
There are millions of levels, are you expecting a full report for every single deleted level?

I'm not expecting a hand written full page report. But a simple automated "Your level 'Y' was deleted for reason 'X'" shouldn't be that hard to implement.

Maybe they didn't take famous youtubers and such into account, and the system isn't prepared for haters flagging levels of famous level designers just because.

No accountability, no appeals process, not even "this is why we took all your hard work and threw it away". That's an archaic way to approach a system thats very design is to create and share levels.

What are you talking about?

If you're so worried about your hard work you should have it saved offline anyways.

Maybe they didn't take famous youtubers and such into account, and the system isn't prepared for haters flagging levels of famous level designers just because.
So they weren't prepared for modernity? Great planning there.
People complain about bad levels in Mario Maker. Nintendo has an algorithm deleting levels that are systematically skipped, just like they had warned. And people complain again.
Were the levels described as deleted in this article bad levels? Did they deserve to be deleted?
There are millions of levels, are you expecting a full report for every single deleted level?
An automated deletion system should have an automatic explanation shared as well. That's not a crazy request.

liquidtmd

Banned

If I'd put hours into creating a level, yes. And by full report, I mean one good reason.

If they can't provide that, they shouldn't cry if everyone stops making levels and their small but loyal online community tells them to get stuffed in supporting NX

Glix

Maybe they didn't take famous youtubers and such into account, and the system isn't prepared for haters flagging levels of famous level designers just .

People dont just troll report streamers levels dude...

And quite frankly... They SHOULD be prepared for that.

ZeroGravity

So they weren't prepared for modernity? Great planning there.
I mean even YouTube - the largest video hosting service in the world - has that exact same problem. It's not a problem unique to Nintendo. It's what happens when you have millions of things you need to moderate an thus have to automate things.

pompidu

I'm not expecting a hand written full page report. But a simple automated "Your level 'Y' was deleted for reason 'X'" shouldn't be that hard to implement.

But this is Nintendo...

I'm more shocked they even implemented a system where they can reload deleted levels.

Blues1990

Yeah, this seems to be getting worse, Nintendo needs to address this soon.

Meanwhile a handful of Japanese kids making nothing but music player stages and troll levels are still at the very top of the creator heap and doing just fine as they flood the sever with endless trash while creative guys like this get punished without any logical explanation.

Regional favoritism, perhaps?

oti

Banned
That's terrible and I hate that Nintendo doesn't have a support Twitter profile or something for cases like this. What about the hundred (?) other people with the same problem? They need to be heard too.

I mean even YouTube - the largest video hosting service in the world - has that exact same problem. It's not a problem unique to Nintendo. It's what happens when you have millions of things you need to moderate an thus have to automate things.
Sure, but as far as I remember (and it's been a long time since I've ever had a video flagged), YouTube at least had the decency to tell me what was "wrong" with my video so I could submit an appeal to counter the claims against it.

That sounds like a major oversight though. It doesn't matter whether you're notch or XxLisaSimpson45xX, if your level gets taken down, Nintendo has to give some feedback as to why, because how are you supposed to improve and upload levels that correlate to their guidelines when they don't ever bother telling you which guidelines you've wronged.

The entire appeal of Super Mario Maker is that everyone has the ability to step into the designer's point of view, gather feedback from stats or word-of-mouth, and let their creativity shine. For Nintendo to just take your stuff down, without giving any feedback or reason is very inconvenient and convoluted.

I had three stages that got wiped. No boobs, wieners or any other obscene bullshit within them. The ones that really sting though are two I bothered to draw up little Miiverse Mario cartoons for. Still have a couple up that do the same thing so I'm pretty sure that's not it. After the last time it happened, I pretty much just stopped playing. Real bummer and yeah, it would be pretty nice to have some genuine feedback from Nintendo on the whole situation. Would really like to know if they were reported for some reason or another.

NewGame

Banned
This is like when you play with younger siblings and they are losing so they declare cheating to the parental figures which in turn bans video games.

Nekofrog

Banned

You can't really be comparing Youtube moderation to Mario Maker. It's nowhere near the same level.

If Nintendo had no intention of actually providing a reasonable base line, bottom of the barrel support that actually does something, then why create a game like this in the first place?

Isn't heavyhanded, unexplained deletion of levels with this wide of a berth toxic to your own games community? Do they expect people who have spent a lot of time in supporting their game to continue to support whatever they do in the future if Nintendo can just say "lol, sorry your levels are gone, do this this this this and this and maybe we'll tell you why at some point in the future, but don't hold your breath"?

This company, I swear.

Spman2099

Yeah, but that is the Nintendo way of doing things. They don't really care about their customers and have never suffered a backlash for treating them like mooks. Thus, they will never stop treating their consumers excruciatingly poorly. Please understand.

Lijik

The least they could do is have a message that just says something like "You level (level name) was removed from the Super Mario Maker servers due to (reason)."

Just something to say why, like the level name, glitches, inappropriate imagery etc instead of just taking it down and not saying anything.

A simple system like this and the ability to easily reupload the level after removing the issue would go a long way.

Simbabbad

Were the levels described as deleted in this article bad levels? Did they deserve to be deleted?
Were the levels described as deleted in this article good levels? Did they deserve not to be deleted? You have no clue, yet you happily jump to conclusions. It was known from day 1 levels could be deleted.

Dude, YouTube and basically every single video/image hosting site are SO archaic. And Google's blog service, banning and suspending blogs without any apparent reason - which concerns much more work than a Mario Maker level...

I guess people expect Nintendo to hire thousands of people in some third world country to deal with millions of cases? For a mere game?

You can't really be comparing Youtube moderation to Mario Maker. It's nowhere near the same level.
Why, exactly? It's the exact same situation, except Nintendo can't hire tons of people for a single game, unlike Google for their video site.

Isn't heavyhanded, unexplained deletion of levels with this wide of a berth toxic to your own games community?
You clearly don't know anything about this game, don't own this game, and don't even own a Wii U.

woopWOOP

...I wonder if making a double local save (before deletion) could work around the reupload restriction? Upload the 2nd save when the first one gets pulled.

I mean it's utter bullshit you can't reupload the same stages either way, but I wonder if seperate saves could work around this.

jholmes

My biggest problem is this:

You’re going to kill this community, Nintendo.

It seems like Patrick Klepek thinks the Super Mario Maker community is Patrick Klepek and some YouTuber who calls himself Poo, and the nameless masses good enough to crowd around them and play their stages and the stages made for them. That's exactly what the Mario Maker community isn't. The vast, vast majority of people playing this game don't care about the stages made by low-level celebrities.

Haven't seen this guy's stages, I'm not in favour of deleting indiscriminately, I am in favour of deleting levels that aren't worth keeping and the fact he puts the word "poo" into his stage names doesn't inspire me with confidence that his levels are any good. (I understand that he uses "poo" in his screen name. Perhaps Nintendo considers this part of the rampant self-promotion in Super Mario Maker they're cracking down on.)

This is egregious, especially since streaming puts food on this guy's table. Nintendo's mute protagonist schtick is a terrible look right now.

So, if you're making a profit off something, Nintendo should throw their policies out the window to make sure you keep cashing a cheque? Not sure I agree.

Boney

Banned
It's a similar issue I had with the Smash 4 For glory hell. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1198200&page=1

Nintendo having absolutely no communication about these issues is what infuriates me. It's no surprise seeing they are incredibly overzealous of direct communication (the irony isn't lost on me). They have horrible community managers that only exist in Miiverse. Just awful.

That said, him thinking it was a direct attack by Nintendo themselves is ridiculous.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nintendo modbots are something else. I've talked to some of them over email - almost fooled me into thinking they were human.

udivision

No explanation offered. Just a message saying the course had been deleted. Only thing I can figure is that it got deleted by an algorithm that detected a glitch that had been removed but the glitch had no effect on my level (it was just used for a single aesthetic thing).

That's interesting... and I guess that would explain some stuff?

Does anyone else know of the usage of a glitch leading to stage deletions?

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
My biggest problem is this:

It seems like Patrick Klepek thinks the Super Mario Maker community is Patrick Klepek and some YouTuber who calls himself Poo, and the nameless masses good enough to crowd around them and play their stages and the stages made for them. That's exactly what the Mario Maker community isn't. The vast, vast majority of people playing this game don't care about the stages made by low-level celebrities.

Haven't seen this guy's stages, I'm not in favour of deleting indiscriminately, I am in favour of deleting levels that aren't worth keeping and the fact he puts the word "poo" into his stage names doesn't inspire me with confidence that his levels aren't very good. (I understand that he uses "poo" in his screen name. Perhaps Nintendo considers this part of the rampant self-promotion in Super Mario Maker they're cracking down on.)

So, if you're making a profit off something, Nintendo should throw their policies out the window to make sure you keep cashing a cheque? Not sure I agree.

Nintendo's damaging the longterm viability of Mario Maker, which relies on a steady stream of new levels. By making it frustrating to participate in their own creative community, they're slowly chasing people away. Why make levels for something that might disappear overnight, for no reason? Worse still, you can't tweak it and try again--the levels removed from the server cannot be re-uploaded. Nintendo is failing at Community 101, and whether or not you like this person's levels shouldn't matter. We're talking about the bare minimum.

Kouriozan

This wouldn't be an issue if they gave reason why they are deleting levels.
Obviously, something isn't working as intended.

Zero83

I don't really understand how this works.

Most of my levels have been removed at one point, but every time I just uploaded them again. I mean, they didn't delete my save stats from the game.

Were they posted under the name GrandPOObear or something else? That could have something to do with it (not that that wouldn't be stupid)

Vena

That's interesting... and I guess that would explain some stuff?

Does anyone else know of the usage of a glitch leading to stage deletions?

Invisible block-glitch stuff was culled, which included some of my levels. This was logical since those levels were functionally broken by the patch.

jholmes

Nintendo's damaging the longterm viability of Mario Maker, which relies on a steady stream of new levels. By making it frustrating to participate in their own creative community, they're slowly chasing people away. Why make levels for something that might disappear overnight, for no reason? Worse still, you can't tweak it and try again--the levels removed from the server cannot be re-uploaded. Nintendo is failing at Community 101, and whether or not you like this person's levels shouldn't matter. We're talking about the bare minimum.

I have said this before and I will say this again: For every one person who is angry that their level has been deleted, there are at least 100 people who feel disappointed that they bought this game, they boot up 100-Mario Challenge and all they play is people's lazy, shitty levels.

I think they'd do well to communicate just what is wrong with certain levels they're removing, sure, but I'd also prefer they err on the side of deleting borderline levels while taking out the trash.

RagnarokX

Invisible block-glitch stuff was culled, which included some of my levels. This was logical since those levels were functionally broken by the patch.
It wasn't logical at all. My level had a single glitched block and it was after the goal pole. Their algorithm should have checked for if the levels were still being cleared after the patch. If the level wasn't impossible the there's no reason to delete.

Vena

It wasn't logical at all. My level had a single glitched block and it was after the goal pole. Their algorithm should have checked for if the levels were still being cleared after the patch. If the level wasn't impossible the there's no reason to delete.

Oh I meant for mine. They revolved around the glitch, without it... it didn't really work. The levels were broken. I suspect levels like mine are the reason their algos just hunted down every instance of the glitch.

RagnarokX

Oh I meant for mine. They revolved around the glitch, without it... it didn't really work.
With the latest patches courses have been staying versioned. If a course was created in a previous version the course retains the quirks of that version.

Top Bottom