• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Deletes Every Stage By Prominent Mario Maker Speedrunner (Kotaku)

SerTapTap

If the levels are all the kind that make normally "good" Mario players scream in frustration and swipe-and-pass on Expert difficulty, then it's reasonable that Nintendo's getting rid of them. This is an "Everyone" game. Maybe the Super-Expert mode will become the new home of these kinds of levels going forward? However if people still almost unanimously swipe-and-pass them on Super Expert, have to think they'll get dropped from that, too. Wouldn't imagine Nintendo wants to keep levels on its servers that 99.99% of the players swipe-and-pass on. I had a level deleted early on that wasn't difficult, at all, but people kept not being able to complete it. Have to imagine that levels that the overwhelming majority of users don't want to play probably become levels that Nintendo doesn't want to host, either.

On the actual deletion, some kind of comment about it why it was deleted may be nice. However, imagine the backlash if Nintendo actually said they deleted a level because it was too hard. They'd never hear the end of it!

There's dozens of streamers that pretty much do nothing but play these super hard levels in submissions or commit to playing ANY 100 mario challenge level no matter how brutal. I'm sure there's a few times as many people who don't want to stream or who aren't popular enough to show in the top streams stuff.

It's definitely a valid way to play this game, and Nintendo blatantly encouraged this sort of level from even before launch with their Nintendo World Championship thing. In fact most of the levels they seem to show in pre-release marketing were "look how crazy/hard this is!"

Really don't know why, I mean other than older gamer's nostalgia, we still give Nintendo a pass on being pretty anti-consumer and so behind the times.

ngower

I'm sure there's either more to the story or it's an accident and all will be resolved in a day or two. Y'all are out for blood on this story.

I'm sure there's either more to the story or it's an accident and all will be resolved in a day or two. Y'all are out for blood on this story.

You realize this is just the latest occurrence in a long line of stories about this same issue Kotaku has been running? This isn't an isolated incident. There's a pattern.

cj_iwakura

Really don't know why, I mean other than older gamer's nostalgia, we still give Nintendo a pass on being pretty anti-consumer and so behind the times.

Nintendo are so anti-consumer that it terrifies me how popular they remain. If it wasn't for the third party software, I'd never own one of their systems.

Diffense

People complain about bad levels in Mario Maker. Nintendo has an algorithm deleting levels that are systematically skipped, just like they had warned. And people complain again.

Is this really a thing?

You generally elect to play levels unless playing 100 marios. They recently added super expert 100 mario challenge too so I doubt Nintendo is against hard levels. In any case, if they did want to disable levels that were often skipped it would be far better to prevent them from showing up in the 100 marios challenges than to completely remove them from the service. That could be a simple hidden flag that blacklists them from 100 marios.

But, thinking a bit more, it does suck that the ability to share levels online is competely controlled by NIntendo. Whenever they end the service, the game will be gutted. Same thing for Splatoon.

what if nintendo is using mario maker to get some fresh ideas for levels, seeing things they like and taking them down so they can make similar levels in a new mario game and claim them as a fresh take

The worst part about this is that Nintendo didn't even delete levels since day 1. They just started randomly doing it late last year for no reason.

So they had something that worked pretty well, then willingly went and fucked with it. It's astounding they continue to fuck things up at this day and age.

HeySeuss

What if being a speed runner makes him more knowledgeable about certain sprites that are more prone to glitches under certain arrangements and he's figured out how to exploit those glitches?

Wasn't there a glitch a while back that made them have to shut their server down or something? Maybe it's a similar situation so they just wiped all his levels to be safe.

jholmes

The worst part about this is that Nintendo didn't even delete levels since day 1. They just started randomly doing it late last year for no reason.

So they had something that worked pretty well, then willingly went and fucked with it. It's astounding they continue to fuck things up at this day and age.

I don't think anyone was claiming that the quality of levels available or the discoverability of good levels was acceptable at or near launch.

Spladam

Ah Nintendo and their silence, Nintendo is like the North Korea of video gaming, in their own little world, oblivious to the greater reality.

David “GrandPOObear” Hunt will never know what he did to anger Nintendo, and they don't care if that bothers anyone, as they have the same loyalty to their fans as Kim Jong-un has towards his people. I use to be such a fan of Nintendo growing up, a lover of their games and a huge fan of Miyamoto-san. now Nintendo is all but dead to me.

Now if only they would just give up on the console business and let me play the latest Zelda, Metroid, and Mario games on my PC.

donny2112

I had a level deleted in late September/early October. Wasn't that hard, but people kept having trouble beating it for some reason. (Think it was due to people not realizing if you release a shell in the same square as the rebound that it goes right through you.) *shrugs* I just figured it was due to too many people dying on my level, and went on. Only saw complaints about people's levels being deleted late last year, but it was going on well before that. Not a surprising thing, since they told us they'd be doing deletions.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ah Nintendo and their silence, Nintendo is like the North Korea of video gaming, in their own little world, oblivious to the greater reality.

David “GrandPOObear” Hunt will never know what he did to anger Nintendo, and they don't care if that bothers anyone, as they have the same loyalty to their fans as Kim Jong-un has towards his people. I use to be such a fan of Nintendo growing up, a lover of their games and a huge fan of Miyamoto-san. now Nintendo is all but dead to me.

Now if only they would just give up on the console business and let me play the latest Zelda, Metroid, and Mario games on my PC.
It's always fascinating what lowbrow drive-bys these topics can attract.

jariw

What's there to say? The creator in the article used "poo" in the titles of many of the levels, while SMM level uploaders must confirm to the Miiverse code of conduct which forbids it. It's about the Miiverse rules and a PEGI 3 rated game, nothing else.

Levels randomly disappearing for no obvious reason is another thing. Nintendo has warned about it happening since the start (such as if a level isn't popular), but it's a bummer to the creator anyway.

My levels were all deleted in the order in which I had uploaded them, so I assumed it was some normal automatic action that took place after a while for X reason I didn't bother looking into. Other people still have all their levels up?

I guess you can't have a thread without shit-posts like this ¯ _(ツ)_/¯.

Anyway, I dunno why they would delete anything that hasn't been flagged or doesn't violate any rules. One of my levels was also deleted.

Yukinari

Meanwhile the kaizo level i made the month the game launched is still up and only just recently has a single person managed to beat it.

Im sure nintendo will delete my fair legit level and keep the kaizo level up.

Either it's a rogue reporter, or someone auditing the levels is overzealous.

Either way, Nintendo's notorious silence is defeaning.
Expecting a first line customer service rep to know or have access to anything but a canned response is oblivious.

The teams that would know anything about this don't take customer calls.

It will probably take a few days but someone will look into it and figure out what went wrong.

Some classic Nintendo hyperbole going on in this thread.

This is so childish and petty. So Nintendo decided to remove them because they created a level that only they can complete or something? Was the rules already set that made these creators levels "illegal" in that sense? I'm really not seeing why they needed to do this because from what I'm seeing, these levels are not offensive at all. Wtf

mStudios

This is so childish and petty. So Nintendo decided to remove them because they created a level that only they can complete or something? Was the rules already set that made these creators levels "illegal" in that sense? I'm really not seeing why they needed to do this because from what I'm seeing, these levels are not offensive at all. Wtf

?? Who said this thing

There are tons of "Kaizo" levels out there. It was probably a malfunctioning on their database or their bot.

-His whole account got wiped, not just a few levels-

It is really sad to read all of the negative news surrounding Super Mario Maker, because this a somewhat fresh title for Nintendo and it looks fun.

Like others have said, Nintendo really should not (and can't afford to) screw this up.

Did Sony ever behave this way with the Little Big Planet games?

I don't understand why users don't get a proper explanation. They should at the very least get that. Does their system seriously not record why a level was taken down and by whom? This sounds so basic.

LAA

As others have said, Nintendo, enough said.
The problem is they still desperately want this kid friendly image about them, despite most of their fanbase not consisting of that anymore, and really, that image isn't good for them anymore in my opinion.

Penis, boob, etc. levels I can understand being removed, (Though I don't think they should, they're never going to be able to stop all of it, maybe make some effort to take them down, but not an extreme amount of effort), but it seems they're being very harsh for a lot of it simply.

I really dislike "computer says no" responses and I'm also confused how 1.267 million levels have been uploaded is a selling point on second and the next second it is half have been deleted due to never being played or other reasons.

But as for our dear POOmaster or whatever he calls himself...
"even the ones that didn’t include joking references to poo (i.e. OOP fo elip: doesn’t feel right)"
Even if removal reason is or isn't Poo saying that stage name has no reference to poo is like a 13 year old internet trolls logic of "you said I shouldn't swear and I said sh¡t which is not swearing". You know what you did (in case you've not figured out the da vinci code in that stage name
pile of POO
).

Wouldn't be surprised if the keys are given to the Miiverse moderators who can be extremely overzealous as in better not accidentally say PM especially not in Smash Bros as clearly you are talking about Project M or inviting people to Private Message you (that's communication, a no-no in Nintendo Land) and not Paper Mario. Ever.

That's terrible and I hate that Nintendo doesn't have a support Twitter profile or something for cases like this. What about the hundred (?) other people with the same problem? They need to be heard too.
I can only imagine if they had such a thing the person running it would be driven to insanity in no time at all based on the kind of tweets the official Nintendo accounts receive (where most people posting know Nintendo isn't going to read them).

Isn't there a dude from Earthbound named Poo?
Yes and an earthbound fan site once found there were something like 14 people with the name Poo in America.

It's a similar issue I had with the Smash 4 For glory hell. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1198200&page=1
What the...? I was under the impression Smash Bros was meant to properly ban and tell you why rather than put you in the naughty boys room without telling you.
I don't want to imagine what a naughty boys Mario Maker server would be...either 120% bad Kaizo (multiple paths all but one of which lead to death and invisible blocks that play the laughter noise) or automated levels

Did Sony ever behave this way with the Little Big Planet games?
Kind of?
http://www.1up.com/news/big-planet-levels-deleted-due

Effect

Just because they can doesn't mean they should. It's a really good way of pissing off the audience and achieves little else.

Yet it's not pissing off the audience. It's pissing off select people. The audience at large likely doesn't care. People shouldn't be equating a person or a group of people being upset about something like this to the entire audience. There are millions of levels out there and Nintendo did warn that levels would be removed over time. They're still on one's system but as you make more and more you'd likely want your newer levels out there for others to play and not the ones you first made anyway.

There is clearly an automated system in place. There would have to be with so many levels out there. There also has to be certain conditions to be meet before something is deleted. No way it's random. It's likely a combination of how long the level has existed, how many times it's passed by, completion percentage, rating, maybe item elements in the game (are there a lot of projectiles vs lack of projectiles for example), etc. Maybe a hard to complete and passed over level with a lot of projectiles might get flagged over and before a level without them for example. Maybe the system detects far to many spikes or to many deaths in a particular part of the level combined with a extremely low completion rate. Hell maybe the name of the user triggered something or all the levels hit all the same elements the system uses to remove a level. If all the levels got removed there has to be a lot of common factors at play.

“This hurts, in some ways, my standing in the community,” he said. “[Making] me just looking unaccomplished, etc. I know that stuff is silly, but that’s the economy we live in as streamers.”

Nintendo should do this with all streamers. The game is meant to be played for fun, not for financial benefit. I hope Nintendo deletes all the levels from known streamer accounts.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Had to make room for more Mario costumes.

While it certainly sucks to see your work deleted from the servers I highly doubt it was some sort of Nintendo Mafia moment where they're punishing him personally because of some things he's said.

Top Bottom