• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.9.13 - full translation of Wii U hardware presentation

I RABU PEOPLE

Neo Member
lKXzE.jpg

Thanks for the translation btw.

D-e-f-

Banned
Thanks a lot for this!

Some tiny details that we've missed before (and you can see how some questions were answered here that had been misunderstood initially)

Raide

Also, excess system memory is reserved for future feature expansion.

The main thing that now interests me. Seems strange to keep 1GB for OS/System functions. Would make more sense to give it 256-512 at max and leave the rest for games.

The mention of Wii Remote Plus rather than Wii Remote was interesting, and I hadn't caught that before. Does that mean that it won't support the standard Remote and that the more sophisticated WR+ is going to be baseline for motion play on the system? Would be good if so.

The main thing that now interests me. Seems strange to keep 1GB for OS/System functions. Would make more sense to give it 256-512 at max and leave the rest for games.

If they don't reserve the extra space now, then they won't be able to reserve it later if they work out some particularly juicy feature that needs it.

That said, it does seem excessive (I mean, people here were claiming that reserving 512MB was patently ridiculous!) I'm hoping that at some upcoming event a year or two from now they roll back the reserved system amount, as freeing up additional resources for devs is from a certain point of view not dissimilar to suddenly adding a new hardware upgrade to the system.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Thanks for the translation Cheese, nice work!

Anyway, I think I seen in another thread Amir0x trolling Wii U and the Gamepad for not being anything other than just a "non tablet" or whatever, with no innovation, yet this avoids one thing where Nintendo have came up with the goods.

The latency that WiFi/Bluetooth wireless usually has, added to the latency of a wireless device's screen etc, added to the need to process any input back on the console itself would make the Gamepad potentially a laggy mess to use. Just look at Kinect for a system that is great in theory, but the processing lag required to use it makes it next to useless for precise gaming applications. While reserving proper judgement until the Eurogamer expo when I'll play with the device myself, I'm hopeful that Nintendo have worked on this and made the Gamepad a seamless part of the experience.

Aside from that, the power consumption figures are pretty darn amazing, and with 1GB for system and future uses, Nintendo/other devs have plenty of space to enhance the UI and user experience outside of gaming quite a bit in future.

All in all, while already aware of most of this, to read it in black & white, properly translated, makes me want November to hurry up all the more.
So do normal Wii Remotes not work with the Wii U? It sucks to think that I might have to buy 4 new ones.
They work fine with Wii U, along with Motion+ remotes.

All hail to the cheese! Thanks for the translations, shame that the Wii U doesn't support Bluetooth, but this is Nintendo XD who will try as much as they can to not pay for intellectual rights XD.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think the buy-10-get-1-free / 10% off program is neat.

But if it's designed as a pressure release valve to avoid Nintendo having to implement weekly sales, that'd be very unfortunate. For example, with XBLA, I would say 80% of my purchases are through sales, and those sales are 33-75% off (let's average it to 55% off). This averages out to me getting a per-game discount of 45%. My Steam purchases would be even more dire. You can easily debate whether my purchasing habits are a bad thing, and whether sales hurt developers, and whatever--but just strictly from a self-interested perspective, the amount that saves me more is the regular sale approach.

Now, Nintendo's approach doesn't exclude sales, so it's entirely possible that you get 10% off and there'll be discounted games as well. Hopefully that's the case. But if it's not, that would be unfortunate.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Buy 10 get 1 free is 9% off, Stump. ;)

And Nintendo and digital sales rarely cross paths...

backlot

Buy 10 get 1 free is 9% off, Stump. ;)

And Nintendo and digital sales rarely cross paths...

I don't follow your math.

I do have to say though that I sincerely hope the Wii U eShop is an improvement over the 3DS eShop. At least NOA's eShop. It would be a shame to see that 10% discount go to waste because there's nothing worth buying on a consistent basis.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't follow your math.

I do have to say though that I sincerely hope the Wii U eShop is an improvement over the 3DS eShop. At least NOA's eShop. It would be a shame to see that 10% discount go to waste because there's nothing worth buying on a consistent basis.

1 free out of 11 total bought is 9.09%.

backlot

1 free out of 11 total bought is 9.09%.

I guess so. I had seen it described as getting 10% back from every purchase in other threads which would mean you'd have to buy 10 games to get a free one.

Edit: The quote from Iwata describing it as 10% back was actually in this thread! I guess the difference is that with 10% credit back instead of a flat 10% off the game bought with the credit probably won't be getting credit back.

Thoraxes

But if it's designed as a pressure release valve to avoid Nintendo having to implement weekly sales, that'd be very unfortunate. For example, with XBLA, I would say 80% of my purchases are through sales, and those sales are 33-75% off (let's average it to 55% off). This averages out to me getting a per-game discount of 45%. My Steam purchases would be even more dire. You can easily debate whether my purchasing habits are a bad thing, and whether sales hurt developers, and whatever--but just strictly from a self-interested perspective, the amount that saves me more is the regular sale approach.

Now, Nintendo's approach doesn't exclude sales, so it's entirely possible that you get 10% off and there'll be discounted games as well. Hopefully that's the case. But if it's not, that would be unfortunate.

I like it because not only do I already get points cards 15% off, but an extra 10 on top of that is just butter for me. New game releases digitally at 25% off and 1 free game every 10? Sign me up.

1GB of dedicated system memory? That's surprising.

75 watts? That's pretty damned good.
To me it's insane how eco-friendly they've made that aspect, not to mention the money it'll save me every month on my bills.

The_Lump

Banned
Mmmm, RAM reserved for future features. Enticing.

Also, their literature mentions they've come up with 'unique energy saving features' in the hardware (or words to that effect). I wonder what?

tkscz

While I do think it's right to thank cheese for the translation, I don't think it's all that good that the entire first page is made up of it.

I'm more interested in the fact that the WiiU does in fact run off a GPGPU (Something a lot of gaffers said was just bull crap) and the fact that this means it will support the non-microsoft owned equivalent of comput-shaders (wouldn't mind if someone could tell me what those are). This also means things like physics will run off the GPU instead of the OoO CPU, which wouldn't run physics all that well, freeing up the CPU to run more efficiently.

While I do think it's right to thank cheese for the translation, I don't think it's all that good that the entire first page is made up of it.

I'm more interested in the fact that the WiiU does in fact run off a GPGPU (Something a lot of gaffers said was just bull crap) and the fact that this means it will support the non-microsoft owned equivalent of comput-shaders (wouldn't mind if someone could tell me what those are). This also means things like physics will run off the GPU instead of the OoO CPU, which wouldn't run physics all that well, freeing up the CPU to run more efficiently.

Here is some info:

"Direct3D 11 introduces the Compute Shader as a way to access this computational capability without so many constraints. It opens the door to operations on more general data-structures than just arrays, and to new classes of algorithms as well. Key features include: communication of data between threads, and a rich set of primitives for random access and streaming I/O operations. These features enable faster and simpler implementations of techniques already in use, such as imaging and post-processing effects, and also open up new techniques that become feasible on Direct3D 11–class hardware." http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23803

Take a look at this also:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_y5a8cCak&t=2m55s

The Wii U having Compute Shading is one of the reasons why graphically it will be considered a next gen system even if people are still in denial. Putting these features to work on the Wii U will be a bit different than the next Xbox or PS4 but the results should be very similar to those systems with developers that understand how the Wii U works. If you think "Gamecube" you'll get the picture.

Medalion

Banned
I figure most of the info from the Japanese ND was dissected in a manner of hours after its presentation but nice for a word for word I guess

D-e-f-

Banned

I like it because not only do I already get points cards 15% off, but an extra 10 on top of that is just butter for me. New game releases digitally at 25% off and 1 free game every 10? Sign me up.

To me it's insane how eco-friendly they've made that aspect, not to mention the money it'll save me every month on my bills.

This is not a 10% off discount, though!

You receive about 10% of the price IN POINTS which can then be cashed in for credit on future purchases in 500 points increments (500 points = 5 bucks). I think that distinction is quite important.

I suck at math so bear with me here.

If we assume they're going with the Nintendo Points model again (which is weird considering they switched to real world currency on the 3DS eShop), a $15 game like Trine 2, for example, would translate to 1500 Nintendo Points. 10% of 1500 are 150 points. 150 points would then be $1.50. So if you buy four games at $15 each, you get 600 points out of which you can cash in 500 for a $5 discount on some eShop content.

I'm sorry I forgot what I wanted to talk about. lol

I asked this in the wii hardware specs thread, maybe it would be better directed here.Does the wii game pad feature clickable analog sticks?

D-e-f-

Banned
Ok tnx.Do we know if all games can be played on the game pad without using the tv, or is just a select few?

You obviously can only play games exclusively on the pad that specifically support that (the feature is called Off-TV Play). Stuff like ZombiU or Nintendo Land games are designed around having TWO screens at all times.

Triple U

Banned

Really? I thought that most rumors had the WIIU with a DX10 class gpu. It was the raw hardware power that was always and probably still is in question.

Here is some info:

"Direct3D 11 introduces the Compute Shader as a way to access this computational capability without so many constraints. It opens the door to operations on more general data-structures than just arrays, and to new classes of algorithms as well. Key features include: communication of data between threads, and a rich set of primitives for random access and streaming I/O operations. These features enable faster and simpler implementations of techniques already in use, such as imaging and post-processing effects, and also open up new techniques that become feasible on Direct3D 11–class hardware." http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23803

Take a look at this also:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_y5a8cCak&t=2m55s

The Wii U having Compute Shading is one of the reasons why graphically it will be considered a next gen system even if people are still in denial. Putting these features to work on the Wii U will be a bit different than the next Xbox or PS4 but the results should be very similar to those systems with developers that understand how the Wii U works. If you think "Gamecube" you'll get the picture.
The GPU isn't DX11 class.

tkscz

Really? I thought that most rumors had the WIIU with a DX10 class gpu. It was the raw hardware power that was always and probably still is in question.

The GPU isn't DX11 class.

It's right there in Iwata's quote. Something people here seem to forget is that a console GPU starts with a weak base, but becomes stronger over time as more is added to it. Yes, it's based on an r700 GPU, but we've been told MANY times that it's been tweaked and worked on so much that it no long resembles a r700, or any off the shelf GPU. It's been said before that it also supports some DX11 features, though it isn't a DX11 level GPU. Think OpenGL 3.3 which has back coding from OpenGL 4.1 and up, allowing for weaker GPU to run more advanced features.

Not to mention the 4000 series DID have GPGPU capability. The WiiU's GPGPU will probably use OpenCL rather than Compute Shaders sense those are a Microsoft copy right.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Iwata said:
The large amount of memory allocated to the system allows for switching to an Internet browser, utilizing Miiverse, or other system without ending the game, providing for smooth transitions from the game to functionality to be used in your living room, and back again.
Doesn't it confirm we'll be able to access Internet, messaging or video chat without leaving the game?

Top Bottom