• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation announced for tomorrow

javac

Nintendo Directs have historically resulted in great showings of already announced games as well as new announcements, many of which would usually grace an E3 presentation but it makes sense to look at what incentivized Nintendo to conduct these Directs in the first place as well as taking a look at where Nintendo are right now.

Nintendo Directs are exactly that, Nintendo speaking directly to their core audience in a way to keep them up to date with their developments as a means to keep a regular flow of information for their fans and this was key when looking at the position the 3DS found itself in during its early years, that being full of droughts and 'poor' sales.

Nintendo is now winding down 3DS and Wii U developments as a means to transition onto the NX and Mobile initiatives. I don't believe that the prominence of Nintendo Directs and their impact or regularity will become diminished over time however I do believe that Nintendo is and will change the format over time, be it a 5 min Pokemon Direct or more high production affairs not dissimilar to the E3 Digital Events they will come in all shapes and sizes. One could look at today's Direct as Nintendo clearing the way for the next system, at the same time I don't believe that the Wii U or 3DS' support end with the conclusion of today's Direct.

Basically, not every Direct has to blow your mind but that doesn't mean that they can't either and this isn't the be all end all for the 3DS/Wii U. The beauty of Directs is how they can come out of nowhere. Just rambling here as I sit here bored out of my mind.

georly

If they can't or won't do this then they shouldn't bother.

I'm not expecting virtual console woes to be resolved until NX.

*HOPEFULLY* this will be the time to initiate this with nintendo accounts having JUST gone live last month in the US - that's the perfect place/way to enable cross-buy. Still not expecting it until NX.

If they *DONT* do this for NX, I will never buy a virtual console title from them ever again. I'm not rebuying my games every gen until nintendo dries up.

georly

You mean like last year's E3? Full of megatons am I right?

On paper last year's E3 was pretty good, it just didn't pan out that way.

• If ryu/roy hadn't been leaked, those would have been great.
  • Nintendo thought star fox zero and federation force would have been bigger announcements than they were, but in theory those should have been pretty big (new star fox! New metroid!)
  • E3 2015 is what sold a lot of people on mario maker, though.
  • Nintendo world championship was pretty hype, if you ask me.
  • We also got tri force heroes which was one of my favorite games last year, but I can see how that might not have hyped people up.
  • Paper jam, anyone? no?

That said: Too much developer/behind the scenes talk - lame mario 30th finale. Zelda had just been delayed, so no zelda trailer disappointed a lot of people. It was also pretty clear that nintendo was starting to wind down the gen and get ready for NX.

maxcriden

I know I'm a little late here, but I'm pretty sure I have the answer for this.

European Directs differ from American Directs in that Japanese speech is generally subbed rather than dubbed in the European Directs. As a result, although the interviews are indeed likely to have been conducted by NCL, a version of those interviews with English subtitles will only need to be used for the European Direct- the Americans will have a dubbed copy. The same goes for the Monster Hunter Generations announcement- in the past, Monster Hunter announcements have been handled by a Japanese-speaking member of Capcom, meaning that NoE will have to have a specific subbed version of the announcement.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. Thank you!

Give us something Nintendo. We're running out of time for the 10 year anniversary!

Imxsvwq.png

That leak probably means the dream is dead, unless it's an NX title

-Horizon-

Will this be part of the new format they were talking up last year? I seem to recall they were changing up how these directs were done or something.

georly

Give us something Nintendo. We're running out of time for the 10 year anniversary!

Imxsvwq.png

That leak probably means the dream is dead, unless it's an NX title
Or it's not coming out in europe as soon because localizing it into EFIGS takes longer than just english (and possibly french)

Will this be part of the new format they were talking up last year? I seem to recall they were changing up how these directs were done or something.

Yup, it'll be 6 minutes long, just like pokemon direct.

Ansatz

You mean like last year's E3? Full of megatons am I right?

It really comes down to being aware of dev cycles. Sometimes all of their teams are aligned for simultaneous anouncements (E3 2010), sometimes they blow their load and then have nothing but more footage of known games (panic mode january 2013), sometimes their teams are all busy working (E3 2012).

E3 2015 was the year when Nintendo switched gears to the next platform and had budget games based on existing assets, so naturally the presentation suffered for it.

This year we expect to see the full blowout of the next mainline home console Zelda, Retro Studios game, EAD Tokyo's presumably 3D Mario, NX itself and the software strategy of the platform.

bomblord1

Banned
Do we got a spoiler free link up yet? The timing of this is right after I leave work and I won't get home until it's long over.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Or it's not coming out in europe as soon because localizing it into EFIGS takes longer than just english (and possibly french)

That's not really been an issue for ages. Things are delayed in Europe for other reasons these days, i.e. they decided to release Bravely Second first and then Fire Emblem. Most of the time we get games at the same time (thank God).

Heck, how do you explain Style Boutiques American delay when they had less languages to deal with?

Kansoku

Do we got a spoiler free link up yet? The timing of this is right after I leave work and I won't get home until it's long over.

Yeah, same here. I subscribed to this thread in hopes of it's OP being updated with the links for the full thing but without spoiler.

georly

That's not really been an issue for ages. Things are delayed in Europe for other reasons these days, i.e. they decided to release Bravely Second first and then Fire Emblem. Most of the time we get games at the same time (thank God).

Heck, how do you explain Style Boutiques American delay when they had less languages to deal with?

They might be related? If a game is going to take longer to release in EU than the US, you can fill the gap with a game that is already ready for both regions and just release in the US later. Maybe EU got bravely second earlier because fire emblem was taking longer (and bravely second was already done) so they basically swapped release schedules for both of them so they don't conflict with each other (since they both target a very similar audience). *shrug* No way to know for sure, but it COULD be one possibility. Especially if localization isn't being outsourced and nintendo only has limited resources to fully translate a previously unlocalized virtual console title.

Griss

• Nintendo thought star fox zero and federation force would have been bigger announcements than they were, but in theory those should have been pretty big (new star fox! New metroid!)
  • We also got tri force heroes which was one of my favorite games last year, but I can see how that might not have hyped people up.
  • Paper jam, anyone? no?

That said: Too much developer/behind the scenes talk - lame mario 30th finale. Zelda had just been delayed, so no zelda trailer disappointed a lot of people. It was also pretty clear that nintendo was starting to wind down the gen and get ready for NX.

No. Looking at that now, even on paper that was never anything approaching good.

All we can hope is that Nintendo's big teams haven't run into any development problems over the last two years and are all ready to go at E3.

N.Grim

Nintendo Directs have historically resulted in great showings of already announced games as well as new announcements, many of which would usually grace an E3 presentation but it makes sense to look at what incentivized Nintendo to conduct these Directs in the first place as well as taking a look at where Nintendo are right now.

Nintendo Directs are exactly that, Nintendo speaking directly to their core audience in a way to keep them up to date with their developments as a means to keep a regular flow of information for their fans and this was key when looking at the position the 3DS found itself in during its early years, that being full of droughts and 'poor' sales.

Nintendo is now winding down 3DS and Wii U developments as a means to transition onto the NX and Mobile initiatives. I don't believe that the prominence of Nintendo Directs and their impact or regularity will become diminished over time however I do believe that Nintendo is and will change the format over time, be it a 5 min Pokemon Direct or more high production affairs not dissimilar to the E3 Digital Events they will come in all shapes and sizes. One could look at today's Direct as Nintendo clearing the way for the next system, at the same time I don't believe that the Wii U or 3DS' support end with the conclusion of today's Direct.

Basically, not every Direct has to blow your mind but that doesn't mean that they can't either and this isn't the be all end all for the 3DS/Wii U. The beauty of Directs is how they can come out of nowhere. Just rambling here as I sit here bored out of my mind.
I am shocked by the fact that most people still don't understand this.

Volotaire

Want me to just PM you a link to the direct so you can bookmark/homepage your inbox?

Yeah, same here. I subscribed to this thread in hopes of it's OP being updated with the links for the full thing but without spoiler.

There is a spoiler free Nintendo Direct thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970910

Wait..I just jumped back in. Why did the leak kill the thread? What about it shows that the direct will be disappointing?

Monster Hunter Generations trademark pretty much confirmed its authenticity and there aren't really any announcements to be made. That being said I really want to see more of the games we already know about.

Monster Hunter Generations trademark pretty much confirmed its authenticity and there aren't really any announcements to be made. That being said I really want to see more of the games we already know about.

That's strange. The op image specifically states that the direct will be for updates on games planned for launch through summer 2016. Not sure why people would be expecting new announcements and games.

-Horizon-

Is yo-kai why?
I actually hope we get something like the yokai skits
Reggie dancing and Bill inhaling all those donuts was the best

Also this random guy

BUg8aiE.gif

Is there a thread with the leaked nx specs?

half a ps4, 2/3 of a xbox1, a wii u gamepad and kinect duct taped together.

I don't remember reading about any leaked specs other than the one that was proven to be a copy paste from somewhere else

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
OMG I hope that Monster Hunter Generations leak is real because I dearly want that MHX to be localized!

• Paper jam, anyone? no?

The thing about Ryu and Roy was that they were leaked twice. The server leak just before E3 was devastating, but everyone semi-interested in datamining scene knew about them for months. It wouldn't be a shock to a significantly bigger group of people tha it actually was at this point.

Everything else was like a salad bar. No title showcased in particular was terrible, it's just that people are interested in E3 for something meaty, and the closest thing was Mario Maker which was like a Caesar salad. Everything else was sort of... dim and light. There was no equivalent of Smash or Splatoon announcement. People were expecting Star Fox 0 to do something crazy to the formula, or earlier to get info blowout on the Zelda U. You could throw in 20 titles of TFH style and it would be perceived the reveal amount was small.

georly

No. Looking at that now, even on paper that was never anything approaching good.

All we can hope is that Nintendo's big teams haven't run into any development problems over the last two years and are all ready to go at E3.

New mario (maker), New metroid, new zelda, new star fox, new mario rpg, most iconic fighting game character appearing in smash bros - on paper = good. New zelda/metroid/dead franchise is all anyone ever wants from E3. You say ahead of time "This year's E3 will have a new zelda, new metroid, and we're bringing back an old franchise" and people would LOSE THEIR MINDS.

It's just none of those were the versions that people wanted. In fact, all 3 were incredibly disappointing to the viewers at large.

javac

I mean, I'd wager a guess and say Capcom are very happy with the performance of Monster Hunter overseas as of late, in fact wasn't there a thread on here recently in which they bragged about the sales in the west for Monster Hunter? I doubt that they'd abandon us anytime soon especially when the series is on the up and up and Nintendo seem happy enough to support them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's strange. The op image specifically states that the direct will be for updates on games planned for launch through summer 2016. Not sure why people would be expecting new announcements and games.

Because they say that every time and yet we've had announcement of new software every time.

Funniest was a JP exclusive Direct that was dismissed as only being small updates for one market.

They announced both Shulk in Smash and the new 3DS in this Direct catching everyone off guard.

Top Bottom