• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation on April 1st

Sandfox

I didn't know Starfox was coming out this year (it would have been nice if they at least mentioned that it's still progressing nicely), that certainly changes the equation for me personally as that's one of my favorite Nintendo franchises.

I've never liked ANY of the Yoshi style games. I still feel bummed I spent full price on Yoshi's Story. Splatoon is a cool idea and I'm glad they are finally making a new IP, I just don't like the art style at all. But I do commend them for at least trying something new, and I'd probably be more likely to pick that up just to support Nintendo doing more of this kind of thing in the future.

I won't get into Nintendo's business practices further than what I said already.

This Direct was basically Nintendo clearing things up before E3:
- Delayed games that were expecting in June
- Squared away the Smash and Mario Kart DLC being released prior
- Same as above but for Amiibo
-Announced Digital titles releasing before E3
-Talked about games they won't be mentioning during E3 like the FE games

Games like Star Fox will be mentioned at E3.

lewisgone

Mario Maker, Xenoblade and Fatal Frame have me most interested on Wii U this year.

I've actually been enjoying Pokemon Shuffle more than I thought I would, so I may also pick up Puzzle + Dragons on 3DS. It seems good value. The new Fire Emblem looks good but that's far off yet.

I know I should be excited for a ton of new announcements, but honestly I'm kind of relieved there's not a ton of stuff I want since it means this year should be easy on my wallet. I wasn't expecting Mother 3, but if there was a time to do it it would have been during that Lucas announcement, so I admit I had my hopes up for a second there.

I'm happy I decided not to care about Amiibo when they were announced. I've bought a few, but if I'd gone all in I might have found it hard to stop - and if I was still collecting them by now I'd definitely want to stop. The amount getting released is pretty overwhelming at this point. I'll be buying Lucas though, haha. And the Yoshi one is nice, but I can't justify it since I'm not too interested in the game.

E3 is right around the corner, I would reassess then.

You really think they'll fill the April to August calendar at E3?

E3 is traditionally for fall releases, or next year. Hopefully they have something new for fall, but this direct was the last opportunity for summer news.

They have absolutely nothing lined up. Zero.

E3 is traditionally for fall releases, or next year. Hopefully they have something new for fall, but this direct was the last opportunity for summer news.

This so much.
They got nothing for the summer.

I didn't know Starfox was coming out this year (it would have been nice if they at least mentioned that it's still progressing nicely), that certainly changes the equation for me personally as that's one of my favorite Nintendo franchises.

I've never liked ANY of the Yoshi style games. I still feel bummed I spent full price on Yoshi's Story. Splatoon is a cool idea and I'm glad they are finally making a new IP, I just don't like the art style at all. But I do commend them for at least trying something new, and I'd probably be more likely to pick that up just to support Nintendo doing more of this kind of thing in the future.

I won't get into Nintendo's business practices further than what I said already.

come on, what about Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Unless they announce some big titles at E3 for fall, and drop Xenoblade in the middle of Summer (which is possible), yup, it's a barren summer for Wii U.

Exile20

Are some people really complaining about the contents of a Direct 2 months before E3. We know Fatal Frame is finally coming and that almost made the Direct for me.

I don't understand people sometimes. If Nintendo blew thier load this direct and had nothing to show at E3 they will be the first to shout at the top of the hills that Nintendo E3 was boring and showed nothing. People are never satisfied.

This was a direct and it delivered.

Overside

Banned
Chrono Trigger pioneered a new mode, while continuing to allow the original mode to be available for those who want it

Xenoblade does not have that mode

First off, using action mode does not suddenly turn chrono trigger into an action rpg. That is completely absurd.

It simply makes the game more engaging and strategically demanding. Its also far more convenient, because you can select a tec and wait for the enemy to manuever into the area of attack, instead of selecting a tec, looking at the selected enemies, de selecting, getting out of the menu, waiting for the enemy to mvoe, going into the menu, seeing if they are in the area of attack now, deselect the tec, get out of the menu, let the enemies move; repeat etc.

This is absurd, and incredibly petty, this is quite literally, the stupidest, shallowest thing you can use to try and stake some anti xenoblade campaign (ive seen you do this exact thing multiple times) in favour of chrono trigger by trying to label it as some kind of action rpg. The games have the same battle planners, and the combat of Xenoblade is an evolved version of chrono triggers, its so chrono trigger it makes the soul cry joy tears, ESPECIALLY after generations of de-evolutions at the hands of FFVII's success, dropping all the advancements chrono trigger made, in favor of flashy videos, even the 'sequel' chrono cross, ditched all of Xenoblades pioneered battle system advancements, and went back to good guys in a line on side a, and bad guys in a line on side b.

Second off, yes, if you are that methodic, you can press the damn home button at any time you want, and take all the time in the world to decide what you are going to do.

WHAT? Europe IS getting Yoshi in June? As usual the marketing morons at NOA never fail to drop a flaming bag of dog poop at the door of every party.

Kouriozan

NintendoDirect trending in full force on Twitter.

rmJyzMc.png

Memory

Are some people really complaining about the contents of a Direct 2 months before E3. We know Fatal Frame is finally coming and that almost made the Direct for me.

Lol half the people disapointed don't even own 3DS or Wii U, they just come to troll. Only a few are legit upset. Even then i don't see why since Nintendo didn't promise anything and imo delivered a very solid direct.
Only thing i'm upset about is waiting until 2016 for Fire Emblem If and SMT X Fire Emblem when Japan get them this year, i knew i shouldnt have given up on Japanese in university when i was younger :/ .

TehOh

Is there a summary anywhere? The Direct was on my way home from work. I see lots of threads, but wouldn't mind a quick list.

Malus

Droughts are basically synonymous with Nintendo platforms, and will be until they get some 3rd party support. This is par for the course.

Splatoon looks INCREDIBLE. cant wait.

in·cred·i·ble
adjective: incredible
1. impossible to believe.
2. difficult to believe; extraordinary.

People keep using that word with video games. Has any video game been impossible to believe? Impressive? Sure. Incredible? IN ALL CAPS? Comon

thatssotrue_3749_1331166173.gif

MilesTeg

Banned
Not too impressed. N64 games do nothing for me. The DS emulation...seriously? There is really a virtual DS on screen at all times?

Mory Dunz

I'm kind of surprised at the reaction for SMTxFE.

I mean, it doesn't look like the game for me, but I also don't like Persona, SMT, FE...but GAF loves those games from what I can tell. This looks like a mixture of those to me.

in·cred·i·ble

People keep using that word with video games. Has any video game been impossible to believe? Impressive? Sure. Incredible? IN ALL CAPS? Comon

yes, I do in fact find Splatoon to look extraordinary

terrisus

First off, using action mode does not suddenly turn chrono trigger into an action rpg. That is completely absurd.

I never claimed that it did.
I didn't even mention Action mode in Chrono Trigger
I didn't even bring Chrono Trigger into the discussion at all.

I'm done with this discussion.

Sendou

in·cred·i·ble

lol

Does it bother you that much? Why did you ignore the second definition?

rjinaz

in·cred·i·ble

hehehe it must drive you crazy when people use words like awesome and cool as terms of exaggerated expressions as well.

Overside

Banned
in·cred·i·ble

Dwarf fortress had a culture and forged a history around my in game exploits, resulting in npc's who wrote books, and created paintings and sculptures about the things my character did, and I was able to create a new character hundreds of years later and find artwork and literature about things I did in previous lives that were large enough to affect the course of the worlds recorded history.

I found that incredible. It got even more incredible when I went through the legend mode. and read about all the things my actions affected

This was MY favorite part of the Nintendo direct:

qJ2ahlz.png

lawl

Because there would be no reason to make a new game then.

As soon as the tech gets better, a new game always comes out.

『Inaba Resident』;158483584 said:
Because that'd be an insane amount of work?

Well, I don't work for Nintendo, but some of the tweaks people ask for don't seem to be that hard. Ok, maybe wavedashing.

I'm kind of surprised at the reaction for SMTxFE.

I mean, it doesn't look like the game for me, but I also don't like Persona, SMT, FE...but GAF loves those games from what I can tell. This looks like a mixture of those to me.
I had no clue how to feel since the trailer was all intro.
It was just "It exists!"
FE If was the highlight. I hate Lucas.
MK8 DLC looked lackluster. Rest was Amiibos.

lewisgone

in·cred·i·ble

Jesus Christ, it's like you've just discovered a dictionary. Let someone be excited. People call stuff incredible all the time, not just relating to games. Get over yourself, seriously.

in·cred·i·ble

Uneducated plebs, amiright?

Top Bottom