• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation on April 1st

The Wii U had gaps from January-August 2013 (Lego City and Monster Hunter Port in March)and in 2015 the only game I've seen released is Kirby for NA. That means nothing for the Wii U from Jan-September at least.

Yoshi is basically done. And after regular N3DS debacle, this is just rubbing more salt in U.S. fans' wounds by releasing a major Wii U title months earlier in EU, creating a huge summer gap in an apparent move to possibly help boost U.S. Splatoon sales. If that is NOA's intent, it is a move that is at best misinformed and grossly naive given the state of Wii U here, or at worst, just flat out cynical and lazy. Aside from proper ads, THIS is how they could try to market Splatoon here if they really wanted to create better awareness:

C2461325-3EFC-4611-8F60-06165D675A7A-280-0000002515CE59A2_zpsqhgp56fu.jpg

I also don't like EU June release because it will be harder for me to resist watching play throughs of the game shead of time. Anyways, I'll just stop now. I really LOVED this Direct but like I said, NOA always has to find a way to troll the party.

The Wii U had gaps from January-August 2013 (Lego City and Monster Hunter Port in March)and in 2015 the only game I've seen released is Kirby for NA. That means nothing for the Wii U from Jan-September at least.

I have said time and time again, that regardless of how good the Wii U's flagship games are, releases are too irregular for me to rate the console as highly as I'd like to. But, Kirby, Yoshi and Splatoon will have to do for summer. Not like I haven't got other systems as well anyway.

AzaK

Is it just me or did Iwata look pretty bad in that video? He looks like he's lost a lot of weight; I hope nothing's wrong.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Hoping we get to see Bravely Default End Layer at E3 and release by the end of the year....hope ;_;

Chrono trigger pioneered an active mode you pretended didnt exist?

Chrono triggers active mode was vastly superior, and far more mentally engaging than wait mode, which is why it was the default selection, and was one of many leaps to the genres combat that Makoto Shimamoto helped chrono trigger pioneer, and that he brought back to the table for Xenoblade.

Chrono Trigger is by far my favorite game. I just started playing Xenoblade, and I am loving the battle system. Everything about the game is perfect so far.

So, according to the Nintendo site, Street Pass Premium let's you customize your text bubbles, catalog birthdays and move your favorite Mii characters to a VIP room.

I'm not sure I'm down with this.

I think people may be overshooting how much zelda actually sells. Its not mario.

In a year without a Mario, it might as well be. The next best thing.

So, according to the Nintendo site, Street Pass Premium let's you customize your text bubbles, catalog birthdays and move your favorite Mii characters to a VIP room.

Lol they're charging for an options screen

Overside

Banned
Seriously, I got excited when he was talking about Bravely Default...
But it was just a lead-in to Xenoblade =(

Hopefully it's coming soon...

Seriously, what is your story with this?

I am dying to know why someone with a chrono trigger avatar is constantly, through multiple threads, passive aggressively shitting on the closest thing we will ever see to a spiritual successor to chrono trigger, from many of the team members of the original chrono trigger team.

There is no way in hell it can actually be something as stupid, shallow, and cosmetic as active mode vs wait mode. I mean, chrono cross was all wait mode, and that was nothing like trigger.
There is some massive percieved betrayal and hurt feelings or something at play here.

What did Xenoblade do that was so bad? Or is it because its so similar to trigger, and has gotten so much praise, do you feel trigger is not getting its dues for its contributions towards what blade does, and its current spotlight? WHats the story?

I'm not trying to suggest that it will sell as much as Zelda, or that it would even be expected to. I'm talking of positioning it as a "big" game in terms of it being large in scale, with a lot to do, and treating it as a substantial release. Giving it the amount of attention that the likes of Smash Bros and Splatoon have gotten. Not because that's what XCX really is, but because there may be so little else for Nintendo to rely on in that timeframe that it might be what they need it to masquerade as.

Xenoblade Wii sold almost a million worldwide despite small release in US and very limited availability worldwide.

I think Xenoblade X will easily double these sales.

But I hope it is no holiday title. Hoping for august release...

KooopaKid

Banned
Pretty good direct.

What I liked:

- Boxboy! released right now on the eShop.
- Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 2 early release.
- 200cc free update.
- Splatoon release date with included Amiibo.
- Yoshi release date with very cute included Amiibo.
- Affordable Space Adventures looks cool.

MJPIA

Nintendo is bringing lots of stuff I'm interested in, this should be a good year.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: A new trailer hones in on some of the mysteries of this epic role-playing game, the first game developed exclusively for the New Nintendo 3DS XL system. The game launches on April 10.
Can't say I'm surprised but I shall continue to be disappointed by the lack the new 3ds in NA.
Was hoping for some sort of xenoblade themed bundle at the very least, since the game will be released in 9 days I'm gonna assume we aren't getting anything.
Kinda wondering at this point if I should completely give up the new 3ds coming over here and just import a European one.

Ok, I can see that for $5 one time purchase. If it is $5 monthly, then Nintendo can kiss it.

I didn't buy premium but I still can customize the bubbles, or I misunderstood something? Also text bubbles are now the new hats.

-Mewtwo and Lucas for Smash Bros
-Splatoon and Smash Amiibos
-SMTxFE is alive and anime as fuck YMMV
-Fatal Frame 5 is being localized
-Hurry up and download Super Mario 64 on Eshop
-Mario Kart 8 is F-Zero now
-A lot of indie stuff
-New 3DS Fire Emblem looks awesome

Fatal Frame 5

Das it :)

Daigr

The ship on the WiiU has sailed in terms of big tent-pole releases. The system will subsist on sporadic month-to-month titles, digital promotion of indies and other digital games/expanion of current games, and bigger mid-summer and winter releases. The bigger tent-poles will get expanded content added to them (which is basically what fills up April).

So it ends up being:
April - MK8/Smash DLC
May: Splatoon
June: ???
July: ???
August: ???
September: Mario Maker
October: Project Zero (Halloween)

That leaves: Xenoblade, Devil's, StarFox, Yoshi, and the Customs with no release date, as well as the possibility of IllRev launching end of 2015 outside of Japan but I doubt that. Nintendo isn't above announcing a game at E3 and then releasing it come winter, either. There's also Tantalus' port.

Project Treasure is also still an unknown. E3 will have Retro's Group 2's new title, more than likely and do as SM3DW did and release shortly there after.
Treasure the developer ? Are they confirmed to be working on something?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Okay, final predictions

Mario Kart 8 DLC reveal - Check, plus 200cc and new Amiibo suits
Splatoon info + specific release date - Check
Indie montage - Check, numerous indie announcements
Xenoblade 3D final trailer - Check
a new downloadable game announcement - Check, Pokemon Rumble World and Box Boy
New Amiibo launch dates - Check
Yarn Yoshi update - Check
Mewtwo DLC - Check, plus Lucas DLC and Smash Ballot
3DS/WiiU firmware updates? - Check? Streetpass games and N64/DS VC

No real megatons - we're 2 months from E3 people...
I was very wrong about the megatons... was not expecting SMTxFE or FFV reveals

Raw64life

Fall lineup looking fantastic assuming we get Mario Maker, Xenoblade and Star Fox before the year is out. But Splatoon basically being the only retail Wii U release in Q2 means my Wii U is going to have a pretty thick layer of dust on it from now until September.

Overside

Banned
Fall lineup looking fantastic assuming we get Mario Maker, Xenoblade and Star Fox before the year is out. But Splatoon basically being the only retail Wii U release in Q2 means my Wii U is going to have a pretty thick layer of dust on it from now until September.

Dust your games consoles people.

They do not clean themselves when you insert new game discs into them.

Illucio

Banned
Does anyone find the 2 Kid Icarus amiibos releasing in July a little fishy?
Very small wave, and in a month with no game announcements.
Do I smell a new Kid Icarus game or a Uprising Wii U port?

LX_Theo

Banned
Does anyone find the 2 Kid Icarus amiibos releasing in July a little fishy?
Very small wave, and in a month with no game announcements.
Do I smell a new Kid Icarus game or a Uprising Wii U port?
Or they have no plans whatsoever and are just releasing them so they get released?

Yeah since I have zero interest in Splatoon. 4 Months eating away...

Yeah since I have zero interest in Splatoon. 4 Months eating away...

Yeah, I'm not getting Splatoon. It looks fun but it's more of a party title and a friend of mine is probably getting it anyways so will just play it at his place when we all get together for some multi. I'd definitely import Yoshi if there was a homebrew region free option.

weevles

I'm in for:

-Mewtwo (should get the code free with the deal) and Smash Amiibos
-SMTxFE
-Fatal Frame 5
-Mario Kart 8 DLC
-New 3DS Fire Emblem

Yeah, I'm not getting Splatoon. It looks fun but it's more of a party title and a friend of mine is probably getting it anyways so will just play it at his place when we all get together for some multi. I'd definitely import Yoshi if there was a homebrew region free option.

You're going to be really disappointed if you get together to play Splatoon multi. It's primarily an online game. The only local mode is 1v1.

Between the online focus and the single player campaign, I'm not sure where you're getting that it's a party game.

Mentok

Banned
Ok, this Direct REALLY surprised me! SMTxFE resurfacing with all its anime glory, Fatal Frame V localization and the free 200CC Mario Kart announcements made it for me.

My God, by the time I buy all these games my account will be like:

broke.gif

Ugh. That SMT x FE trailer left a terrible taste in my mouth. Almost insulted by how stupid it looks. Pretty clear they aren't aiming for fans of mainline SMT or older Fire Emblem games, but instead for Persona and Awakening fans. I'd rather they just be honest and call it Persona X Fire Emblem: Awakening but I'm sure there's legal issues there.

I guess Fatal Frame makes up for it, though.

Because a most likely unlockable costume dictates the entire tone of a game. Ok. That and my desires for each franchise are pretty different. The early Fatal Frame games have had similar unlockable costumes, IIRC. When you say SMT X Fire Emblem to me the last thing on my mind is whatever was in that trailer. I don't have anything against stupid anime crap but it isn't what I wanted or expected, or even what they hinted at with the announcement.

Neiteio

Ugh. That SMT x FE trailer left a terrible taste in my mouth. Almost insulted by how stupid it looks. Pretty clear they aren't aiming for fans of mainline SMT or older Fire Emblem games, but instead for Persona and Awakening fans. I'd rather they just be honest and call it Persona X Fire Emblem: Awakening but I'm sure there's legal issues there.

I guess Fatal Frame makes up for it, though.
yea

gq0r2mepb6bclh5ziyn4.jpg

Top Bottom