• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo (don't) change NNID policy (?)

Mael

That you have to phone them is a symptom of the problem not the problem itself.

When people say that a unified account, no region locking, etc won't save Nintendo they are partly right that individually these issues are minor but again they are symptomatic of Nintendos single biggest issue, their backwards approach to handling digital content.

It affects everything. Region locking, console upgrades, gen transitions, synergy between handheld and console, reaching out to loyal consumers, friend lists, marketing, wii fits potential, etc etc etc.

Nintendo's library of classics and awesome software are a huge asset, yet their policies and hardware centric approach is destroying them. Wiiu will be the worst selling main Nintendo hardware ever. And this is coming after their two most successful products.

People are afraid of buying Nintendo hardware because the company inspires no confidence.

Yeah region lock is really something else, it doesn't affect the account at all really since accounts already interact with other accounts from other regions anyway.
It's shitty and everything but not really part of the discussion here.
For the rest I agree a single all encompassing account would help them a ton, I'm surprised some service company wasn't contracted to do that for them to begin with.

boiled goose

good with gravy
They're 2 different products, that's like saying it's BS that we had to pay twice to get Wii and DS version of FF Echoes of time or the 2 versions of Pkmn.
for the customer they're the same product but for the game maker they really are not, this needs to change.
Either they differentiate the 2 or they make both the same.

Nes mario bros on wiiu and 3ds are different products? If they are they shouldn't be.

I understand if not all legacy titles are playable on all hardware. For example if vc 64 and gc games are only playable kn wiiu and not 3ds that is fine. The point is there should only be one vc account and you should be able to access compatible content on all compatible systems including every next gen system moving forward.

Let's say they want to have special 3d features for some 3ds vc titles. I'm ok with them charging more for that 3ds exclusive feature .

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That you have to phone them is a symptom of the problem not the problem itself.

When people say that a unified account, no region locking, etc won't save Nintendo they are partly right that individually these issues are minor but again they are symptomatic of Nintendos single biggest issue, their backwards approach to handling digital content.

It affects everything. Region locking, console upgrades, gen transitions, synergy between handheld and console, reaching out to loyal consumers, friend lists, marketing, wii fits potential, etc etc etc.

Nintendo's library of classics and awesome software are a huge asset, yet their policies and hardware centric approach is destroying them. Wiiu will be the worst selling main Nintendo hardware ever. And this is coming after their two most successful products.

People are afraid of buying Nintendo hardware because the company inspires no confidence.

Exactly. Very well said, and it's exactly how I feel when considering buying Nintendo products too. I wish they would come around, but they just don't seem to want to.

Mael

Nes mario bros on wiiu and 3ds are different products? If they are they shouldn't be.

I understand if not all legacy titles are playable on all hardware. For example if vc 64 and gc games are only playable kn wiiu and not 3ds that is fine. The point is there should only be one vc account and you should be able to access compatible content on all compatible systems including every next gen system moving forward.

Let's say they want to have special 3d features for some 3ds vc titles. I'm ok with them charging more for that 3ds exclusive feature .

That's basically what I'm saying,
right now they're different product.
They shouldn't be but they are.
The way they handled it for Wii/WiiU is better.
Wii version is there for WiiU if you want WiiU specific feature you pay extra.
Something close to that would be ideal, because seriously I'm never going to buy games I already own on Wii/WiiU anyway...
Then again it's close to cross buy, I mean after all what's the difference between buying SMB1 on WiiU/3DS twice and buying Toki Tori twice on WiiU/3DS?
I'm fairly sure 3rd parties wouldn't be ok with Nintendo offering licences just like that, so yeah potential thorny issue.
Again they should have made the Virtual console its own platform instead of the bastard way they had to deal with it, that way you only pay for the game on the platform and you access the platform on WiiU or 3DS regardless.
That's pretty much what they showed on the very 1rst announcement of the Virtual Console for the then upcoming Revolution!

Mael

How's that supposed to work?

I got a German NNID, but I don't live in Germany and my eshop stuff still works.

Nothing change for you or anyone.
You just can't change your German NNID to say it's a French NNID, that wasn't possible already anyway.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Yeah, obviously a load of crap otherwise we'd have heard it long time ago. People are going to have to backpedal with some of these responses.

source: Lived in Korea with my NA 3ds, the only thing you can't do is nintendo video and your standard region locked apps like netflix or hulu.

Gartooth

Sorry, could you tell us what came up?

Because the reality is that nothing has happened, everything is and will be the same in the near future. Maybe you just went from reading the first part of the OP to the reply button?

I did read the OP but it seems you completely missed the point of my post.

What came up was this discussion. It doesn't matter if the policy is new or old as long as its there. This week we saw Microsoft responding to criticism and enacting changes to their service for the benefit of their audience. This topic's existence is a reminder of Nintendo's ineptitude at considering their audience and making their online service more user-friendly which was the point of my post.

Zornica

Banned
Nothing change for you or anyone.
You just can't change your German NNID to say it's a French NNID, that wasn't possible already anyway.

It'll work the same way it always has, because it was always a part of the end user agreement. The guy tweeting did not proof read.

thx, that's what I figured.
It's always nice to make a fuss over nothing as long as Nintendo is somehow involved.

Kiote

I did read the OP but it seems you completely missed the point of my post.

What came up was this discussion. It doesn't matter if the policy is new or old as long as its there. This week we saw Microsoft responding to criticism and enacting changes to their service for the benefit of their audience. This topic's existence is a reminder of Nintendo's ineptitude at considering their audience and making their online service more user-friendly which was the point of my post.

Nintendo has been reacting to criticism since day 1. That is why we have Unified Accounts. That is why they did a speed boost on the system loading. That's why we got cross platform Miiverse. That is why we are getting a quick launch menu.

Nintendo's Account System is already ten times better than it was at Wii U launch. They have been rapidly improving it and the next set of improvements are coming within the next month. This isn't something they can fix over night. Give credit where credit is due.

watershed

Banned
So can someone clarify what this policy means and what has changed or hasn't changed. I've spent some time abroad and here's what I encountered. My NA 3ds was still able to log into and make purchases from the NA eshop regardless of what country I was in. I didn't make and was never asked to make any changes to my NNID. Personally, I was very happy with this because it allowed me to purchase new games in English instead of buying any Korean or Japanese versions. So what is the issue here?

clav

Nintendo has been reacting to criticism since day 1. That is why we have Unified Accounts. That is why they did a speed boost on the system loading. That's why we got cross platform Miiverse. That is why we are getting a quick launch menu.

Nintendo's Account System is already ten times better than it was at Wii U launch. They have been rapidly improving it and the next set of improvements are coming within the next month. This isn't something they can fix over night. Give credit where credit is due.

Now all is left is the Wii U GamePad.

What turned me off is that now gamers have to juggle between two power supplies just for one video game system.

What a horribly designed console.

Clearly, the Wii-U is a transition console to make the Super 3DS or whatever the next handheld is called.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Nintendo and their online is getting better, but it's getting better at a snails pace.

I just bought a 2DS, and spent about 20 minutes making a PIN and entering an email so I could turn off child locks that are on there by default.

They're too worried about their image of being products you can buy your kids and it being child-friendly right off the bat that they are strangling themselves to death with this limited online capabilities.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nintendo and their online is getting better, but it's getting better at a snails pace.

I just bought a 2DS, and spent about 20 minutes making a PIN and entering an email so I could turn off child locks that are on there by default.

They're too worried about their image of being products you can buy your kids and it being child-friendly right off the bat that they are strangling themselves to death with this limited online capabilities.

Don't forget swapnote ;-;. Nikki was my waifu.

boiled goose

good with gravy
That's basically what I'm saying,
right now they're different product.
They shouldn't be but they are.
The way they handled it for Wii/WiiU is better.
Wii version is there for WiiU if you want WiiU specific feature you pay extra.
Something close to that would be ideal, because seriously I'm never going to buy games I already own on Wii/WiiU anyway...
Then again it's close to cross buy, I mean after all what's the difference between buying SMB1 on WiiU/3DS twice and buying Toki Tori twice on WiiU/3DS?
I'm fairly sure 3rd parties wouldn't be ok with Nintendo offering licences just like that, so yeah potential thorny issue.
Again they should have made the Virtual console its own platform instead of the bastard way they had to deal with it, that way you only pay for the game on the platform and you access the platform on WiiU or 3DS regardless.
That's pretty much what they showed on the very 1rst announcement of the Virtual Console for the then upcoming Revolution!

Yes. Of course the virtual platform should be its own hardware agnostic platform.

give credit where credit is due? Nintendo's online it's less terrible that it could potentially be if it weren't for consumer complaints. its difficult to get credit for that. Nintendo should be leading not not even satisfying the bare minimum.

jimi_dini

they are symptomatic of Nintendos single biggest issue, their backwards approach to handling digital content.

It affects everything. Region locking, console upgrades, gen transitions

Wat?

Nintendo were the only ones that offer transfer of all Wii Virtual Console + WiiWare titles to their next gen system.

Sony + Microsoft are 100% backward in that regard. They don't offer anything at all. Your digital purchases are locked into last gen consoles. Nintendo does this properly and even managed to do that without a flipping account system on Wii. Additionally Nintendo even offers an upgrade path to enhance Virtual Consoles games (full gamepad support, Miiverse, customizable controls, etc.) by just paying a really small fee.

A mod should change the topic into: all sorts of misinformation about Nintendo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, here's a detailed post about what actually changed. Hopefully, I got everything right.

- 1.9 Nintendo's Liability to You text changed. Here's the old version

1.9 Nintendo's Liability to You

This provision does not exclude, restrict or modify any statutory provision which implies non-excludable conditions, warranties or consumer guarantees into this Agreement. To the full extent permitted by law, the liability of Nintendo under such non-excludable conditions, warranties and consumer guarantees is limited to supplying the Nintendo Network again or the payment of the cost of having the Nintendo Network supplied again (whichever Nintendo chooses).

Otherwise, we provide the Nintendo Network without express or implied warranty, undertaking, inducement or representation of any kind. This means that Nintendo does not warrant that the Nintendo Network will always work properly or that it will be free from viruses, hacks or other harmful intrusions.

Subject to this clause and to the full extent permitted by law and subject to any non-excludable statutory condition, warranty or consumer guarantee, Nintendo's liability to you and any other person:

• does not include punitive, special, consequential or incidental damages (including claims for loss of data, Nintendo Shopping Services products, Digital Products, User-Generated Content, Third-Party Content or funds);

• does not include liability to third parties.

Except in relation to non-excludable conditions, warranties or consumer guarantees, these limitations on Nintendo’s liability apply to all matters relating to the Nintendo Network including your use of the Nintendo Device and Nintendo Shopping Services. These limitations apply to any type of claim, including breach of contract, breach of warranty, strict liability, negligence or other tort.

Here's the new one

1.9 Nintendo's Liability to You

If we fail to comply with these terms, Nintendo is liable for damages arising as a foreseeable result of our negligence or breach of this Agreement.

We are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage are foreseeable if they were an obvious consequence of our breach or if they were contemplated by you and us at the time we entered into this Agreement.

As the Nintendo Network is for your own personal recreational and non-commercial use, we are also not responsible for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, loss of data or loss of business opportunity.

We do not in any way exclude or limit our liability for:
death or personal injury caused by our negligence;
fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation;
any breach of the terms implied by law relating to our title to the Nintendo Intellectual Property, Digital Products and Physical Products;
any breach of the terms implied by law relating to the description, satisfactory quality and fitness for purpose of Digital Products and Physical Products; and product liability.

- Pagraph 2 is about Shopping Services. This is how it was organised

2 Shopping Services

2.1 Nintendo Shopping Services

Nintendo Network may offer access to Nintendo Shopping Services. You can use Nintendo Shopping Services to acquire Digital Products from Nintendo or third parties, to purchase Physical Products from Nintendo as well as to download and use Digital Products on your Linked Nintendo Device and/or via Nintendo Network.

2.1.1 Digital Products

2.1.1.1 Registering Digital Products

In order for you to download and use Digital Products, a licence for the respective Digital Product needs to be registered to your Nintendo Network ID.

The licence for Digital Products may be acquired in various ways, subject to availability in your country.

In case the licence for a Digital Product is offered free of charge in Nintendo Shopping Services, the licence will be registered to your Nintendo Network ID after you have submitted the respective order in Nintendo Shopping Services.

In case the licence for a Digital Product is offered for purchasing in Nintendo Shopping Services by Nintendo or third parties, the licence will be registered to your Nintendo Network ID after you have submitted the respective order in Nintendo Shopping Services and made the payment to Nintendo or a third party, as applicable.

The licence for a Digital Product may also be purchased or acquired outside of Nintendo Shopping Services from a third party. In this case, the third party will inform you about the applicable process to register the licence for a Digital Product to your Nintendo Network ID.

Except as otherwise provided, the licence for a Digital Product is tied to your Nintendo Network ID and allows you to use the Digital Product only on the Linked Nintendo Device, to which the Digital Product has been initially downloaded. Except as otherwise provided, all users, whose Nintendo Network ID is registered on such a Linked Nintendo Device, may use the respective Digital Product.

IMPORTANT: In case you acquire the licence for a Digital Product from any third party, Nintendo will solely provide the technical infrastructure to enable you to register the licence to your Nintendo Network ID. However, Nintendo is neither a seller nor a party to any contract that you may conclude with any such third party and Nintendo assumes no liability in this respect.

2.1.1.2 Licence for Digital Products

Any Digital Products registered to your Nintendo Network ID and any updates of such Digital Products are licensed only for personal and non-commercial use on a Linked Nintendo Device and/or via Nintendo Network. Digital Products must not be used for any other purpose. In particular, without Nintendo’s written consent, you must neither lease nor rent Digital Products nor sublicense, publish, copy, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of Digital Products other than as expressly permitted by applicable law.

2.1.2 Physical Products

2.1.2.1 Ordering Process

If you choose to purchase a Physical Product from Nintendo in Nintendo Shopping Services, you will be provided an overview of your order and given an opportunity to amend it before entering into a binding purchase agreement with Nintendo.

2.1.2.2 Delivery and Customs

During the purchasing process you will be given an opportunity to input the delivery address for your order. You will be informed before the purchase about the countries in which the delivery of Physical Products is possible. You are responsible for any applicable customs' duties or taxes in the country of delivery.

2.1.2.3 Reservation of Title

Any Physical Products delivered to you will remain the property of Nintendo until payment is made in full.

2.1.2.4 Defects

In the event of a defect the statutory provisions shall apply. Physical Products come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure of a Physical Product or for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the Physical Products repaired or replaced if the Physical Products fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.

If the Physical Product is subject to an additional manufacturer’s warranty, details of such a manufacturer's warranty will be attached to the delivered Physical Product. Any claims based on a manufacturer's warranty are irrespective of any statutory rights you may have.

2.1.3 Payment Methods

In case you acquire the licence for a Digital Product from Nintendo or in case you purchase a Physical Product from Nintendo, Nintendo may offer various payment methods, subject to availability in your country.

Nintendo may allow you to use funds to make the payment for Digital and Physical Products that you have purchased from Nintendo in Nintendo Shopping Services. Funds may be uploaded to your Nintendo Network ID by using a credit card, by inserting a digital code printed on a Nintendo eShop Card available in retail, or by any other method communicated by Nintendo.

Funds are tied to your Nintendo Network ID and cannot be transferred to any other person or entity. Funds are non-refundable and cannot be exchanged for cash or credit. Funds can only be used to purchase Digital and/or Physical Products from Nintendo in Nintendo Shopping Services. Nintendo may, in its sole discretion, restrict the maximum amount of funds that may be uploaded to your Nintendo Network ID.

You are responsible for any use of funds via your Nintendo Network ID.

In case you acquire the licence for a Digital Product from any third party, the third party will inform you about the applicable payment method.

2.1.4 Shopping History

For any transactions in Nintendo Shopping Services (registration of a licence for Digital Products, payment for Digital Products, purchase of Physical Products, uploading funds, etc.) you will receive an electronic receipt confirming the transaction. This receipt will be posted in your shopping history which you can access any time via your Nintendo Network ID.

Now, in the new agreement, the following changes happened

- Added a brand new part, 2.1.3 "Right to cancel" (so, under the full "Shipping Services" sub-paragraph - 2.1. -, not the "Physical Products" one - 2.1.2), which states the following

2.1.3 Right to Cancel

2.1.3.1 Instructions for Right to Cancel

===========================================

Right to cancel

You have the right to cancel this contract within 14 days without giving any reason.

The cancellation period will expire after 14 days from the day:
in the case of a service contract or a contract for the supply of digital content which is not supplied on a tangible medium: of the conclusion of the contract;
in the case of physical products: on which you acquire, or a third party other than the carrier and indicated by you acquires, physical possession of the goods;
in the case of a contract relating to multiple goods ordered by you in one order and delivered separately:
on which you acquire, or a third party other than the carrier and indicated by you acquires, physical possession of the last good.
To exercise the right to cancel, you must inform us (Nintendo of Europe GmbH, Nintendo Center, 63760 Grossostheim, Germany, telephone number: +44 845 60 50 247, fax number: +49 69 667747 95412, email: customer-support@nintendo.co.uk) of your decision to cancel this contract by a clear statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, fax or email). You may use the attached model cancellation form, but it is not obligatory.

To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the cancellation period has expired.

Effects of cancellation

If you cancel this contract, we will reimburse to you all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery (except for the supplementary costs arising if you chose a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us).

We may make a deduction from the reimbursement for loss in value of any goods supplied, if the loss is the result of unnecessary handling by you.

We will make the reimbursement without undue delay and not later than:

(a) 14 days after the day we receive back from you any good supplied; or

(b) (if earlier) 14 days after the day you provide evidence that you have returned the goods; or

(c) if there were no goods supplied, 14 days after the day on which we are informed about your decision to cancel this contract.

We will make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise; in any event, you will not incur any fees as result of the reimbursement.

We may withhold reimbursement until we have received the goods back or you have supplied evidence of having sent back the goods, whichever is the earliest.

You shall send back the goods or hand them over to us, without undue delay and in any event not later than 14 days from the day on which you communicate your cancellation from this contract to us. The deadline is met if you send back the goods before the period of 14 days has expired.

You will have to bear the direct cost of returning the goods.

You are only liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods.

If you requested to begin the performance of services during the cancellation period, you shall pay us an amount which is in proportion to what has been performed until you have communicated us your cancellation from this contract, in comparison with the full coverage of the contract.

===========================================

The cancellation right expires earlier in respect of the contracts listed below:

- contracts for the supply of sealed goods: the cancellation right for sealed goods which are not suitable for return due to health protection or hygiene reasons expires if they are unsealed after delivery;

- contracts for the supply of sealed audio recordings, video recordings or sealed computer software: the cancellation right for sealed audio or sealed video recordings or sealed computer software (such as video games) expires if they are unsealed after delivery;

- contracts for the supply of digital content: where we supply digital content not on a tangible medium, the cancellation right expires if we have begun our supply of the digital content after you have expressly consented that we can begin the supply before the cancellation period ends, and you have acknowledged that you lose your right to cancel the contract in this circumstance;

- service contracts: the cancellation right expires earlier if the service has been fully performed by us, the performance of the service began with your prior express consent, and you acknowledged that you lose your right of cancellation once the contract has been fully performed.

2.1.3.2 Model Cancellation Form

(If you want to cancel the contract please complete and return this form.)

- To Nintendo of Europe GmbH, Nintendo Center, 63760 Grossostheim, Germany, fax number: +49 69 667747 95412, email address: customer-support@nintendo.co.uk

I/We ( * ) hereby give notice that I/we ( * ) cancel my/our ( * ) contract of sale of the following goods( * )/for the provision of the following service ( * ):

- Ordered on( * )/received on ( * );

- Name of consumer(s);

- Address of consumer(s);

- Signature of consumer(s) (only if this form is notified on paper),

- Date:

( * ) Delete as appropriate.

- "Defects" now being 2.1.4 (under the "Shipping services" subparagraph), not 2.1.2.4 (under the "Physical products" one), and stating the following

2.1.4 Defects

In the event of a defect the statutory provisions shall apply. If an additional manufacturer’s warranty applies, any claims based on a manufacturer's warranty are irrespective of any statutory rights you may have.

Direct reference to 2.1.3

and you may have to create another Nintendo Network ID if you want to enjoy Nintendo Network in this new country
How do you do this on 3DS? It only lets you have one NNID per system. Formatting and losing all your streetpass data is not an acceptable answer. On the other hand as said you can still access the content (unless it was never available to buy in the country you locked yourself into in which case better hope the SD card or system don't break) though purchasing it might become inconvieniant.

I really don't get what is wrong with how the 3DS account system without NNID of shared purchase history, each country has separate wallet.

why didn't I ever think of that?
there's gotta be a nikki mii qr code somewhere, right? :/
I've got her in my streetpass Mii plaza as an invited Mii so could send her to the regular Mii plaza and make a QR code. If you need one when Tomodachi comes out send me a PM and I'll try to take the steps.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How do you do this on 3DS? It only lets you have one NNID per system.

What they mean is that if you want to access the eShop/network of a different region you need a piece of hardware from that region and to create a new NNID on that hardware.

You will never be able to use a NNID from one region on a console from another.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wat?

Nintendo were the only ones that offer transfer of all Wii Virtual Console + WiiWare titles to their next gen system.

Sony + Microsoft are 100% backward in that regard. They don't offer anything at all. Your digital purchases are locked into last gen consoles. Nintendo does this properly and even managed to do that without a flipping account system on Wii. Additionally Nintendo even offers an upgrade path to enhance Virtual Consoles games (full gamepad support, Miiverse, customizable controls, etc.) by just paying a really small fee.

A mod should change the topic into: all sorts of misinformation about Nintendo.

I agree that Nintendo coincidentally ended up ok in that regard but it shouldn't be a thing. Virtual console should be VIRTUAL console. It should not be tied to hardware. If games are not compatible with all hardware that's fine,but your virtual console content should be available on all Nintendo products.

There should be no uncertainty. No risk.

why didn't I ever think of that?
there's gotta be a nikki mii qr code somewhere, right? :/

12730_nikkijapaneseversion.jpg

Youre welcome

unless they nuke my account for not being in the EU country that the NNID was registered in originally at the moment I will just regard it as a bad policy. once they enforce it and delete my account i will go to court.

-PXG-

Ummm.... this is really stupid, especially for those in Europe or anyone who just wants to play games from other regions. What are they thinking?

Tizoc

As someone who is going through an international move right now:
Cool, Nintendo. I just won't buy any product affected by this. Your loss, not mine. Same goes for Sony, who have an ass-backwards international move policy with PSN.

... unless this is going to retroactively prevent me from using products I already own, in which case holy shit that's terrible.

What did Sony change about PSN in regards to moving to a different country? Far as I know, your account shouldn't be affected by whichever country you are in and activiate it on a PS3 or PS4.

Does this mean they are IP blocking the store etc? If so what about people who have import systems with accounts registered to the hardwares origin rather than their own? This sounds like I won't be able to buy Japanese games on my Japanese DS with my Japanese account without actually being in Japan which is crippling for importers.

Nintendo deserve to be out of the hardware market with their draconian attitudes.

this.. I have a Japanese 3DS in the UK and now worried I am gonna get blocked from eshop.

I was actually rather worried for a moment. I thought Nintendo had finally enacted a policy so laughably backwards that there would be nobody here that could conceivably defend them. But, sure enough, a brave, select group of warriors are out and beating the ole' drum.

Thanks, guys, never give up the good fight.

jimi_dini

this.. I have a Japanese 3DS in the UK and now worried I am gonna get blocked from eshop.

This whole thread is a mess.

Nintendo DID NOT CHANGE this policy at all. Those sentences were there from day 1. If they haven't blocked anyone until now, they probably won't block anyone from now on. They write "may not", which means they are probably just covering their asses.

They changed a completely different part of the policy, which has nothing to do with eShop and NNIDs.

What did Sony change about PSN in regards to moving to a different country?

Can you change a user's country on PS4? Because you definitely can't on PS3.

Then there is also:
solely for Your personal, private, non-transferable, non-commercial, limited use on a limited number of Authorized Devices in the country in which your account is registered.

You may be able to make transactions only with a designated Sony regional company which is determined by your country/area of residence. Your country/area of residence may be verified by your credit or debit card number and may be rejected if the information does not match.

http://legaldoc.dl.playstation.net/ps3-eula/psn/u/u_tosua_en.html

Daedardus

Wait, if I die when using NNID caused by Nintendo's negligence, they are responsible? Is there really a need to put that in?

Tizoc

It is easy to see who lives in a country that Nintendo gives support, mine doesn't even have a call center to call, what am I supposed to do then, send them a letter? Fuck that.

I'm being sarcastic in the end, for those that will inevitably tell me to send an email.

jimi_dini

Dunno about changing user country but you can have multiple accouns on your PS3 and they can be any region you want.

You can have up to 12 accounts on Wii U as well.
And I think also from different countries. You just need to change the system country setting to match the account country setting to be able to enter different eStores. Wii U is still region locked, which means afaik no Japanese eStore on European Wii Us. But you could have a spanish account and a UK account on the same system.

The PS3 account is still crap, BECAUSE you can't change your region. Which means if you move and still use that account, you are actually violating Sony's ToS. Which means they can ban you for that. And it's also silly that I have to create 3 or 4 PSN accounts just to access different stores. It's actually exactly the same, except for the region lock. Having no region lock on PS3 makes this whole thing even worse. And Sony definitely IP-locked some content.

So stupid. If they decide to do anything about people not following their terms I might be fucked. I got a Wii U that was imported from England by the Swedish retailer it was purchased from. Something I didn't know until after I bought it. I couldn't select Sweden as my current country of residence and I doubt there's a Swedish system language in it. Something I don't want to use either way since technical terms and shit translated into Swedish sounds fucking ridiculous.

It's bad enough that the gamepad is pretty shitty in both terms of ergonomics (the edges on it makes my palm hurt after ~15 min) and hardware (bad colours and bad view angles).
Not looking good Nintendo. Not looking good.

NewGame

Banned
This issue was a huge thing for Australians. Because Australia uses the PAL region (a speshul PAL region specifically for Australia) with the new eShop you can no longer access the UK eShop and download the several billion amazing games they get before we get. Some times the games are cheaper even though pounds have higher buying power than the AU dollar.

Nintendo fix that though! Australia or UK only, and you can't share money or games between them. Thanks Nintendo.

And I think also from different countries. You just need to change the system country setting to match the account country setting to be able to enter different eStores. Wii U is still region locked, which means afaik no Japanese eStore on European Wii Us. But you could have a spanish account and a UK account on the same system.

The PS3 account is still crap, BECAUSE you can't change your region. Which means if you move and still use that account, you are actually violating Sony's ToS. Which means they can ban you for that. And it's also silly that I have to create 3 or 4 PSN accounts just to access different stores. It's actually exactly the same, except for the region lock. Having no region lock on PS3 makes this whole thing even worse. And Sony definitely IP-locked some content.

Not once have I heard of anyone getting banned for using multiple accounts with different regions on PS3. I do it. I've done it since the beginning. Still not banned. Doubt they would start banning anyone now.

test_account

XP-39C²

Where in the PSN ToS does it say that you cant use your account in another country?

valouris

Didn't know if this was worth its own thread, and this one is the most appropriate I found. Please inform me if otherwise.

I will be moving countries inside the EU come September, along with my Wii U. I have some digital pruchases in the system. I remember reading somewhere that there is trouble when moving from one country in the EU to another concerning Nintendo online services and NNID. Does anyone know exactly what gives?

From what I gather I may not be able to use my current NNID while I am abroad because it states the country it was originally created in, and this is unchangeable. If I create a new NNID while in my new country on the same console, will I be able to access my purchases from the other one?

Didn't know if this was worth its own thread, and this one is the most appropriate I found. Please inform me if otherwise.

I will be moving countries inside the EU come September, along with my Wii U. I have some digital pruchases in the system. I remember reading somewhere that there is trouble when moving from one country in the EU to another concerning Nintendo online services and NNID. Does anyone know exactly what gives?

From what I gather I may not be able to use my current NNID while I am abroad because it states the country it was originally created in, and this is unchangeable. If I create a new NNID while in my new country on the same console, will I be able to access my purchases from the other one?

The thing is that you can't change the country associated with your account. You can however still use it.

valouris

The thing is that you can't change the country associated with your account. You can however still use it.

Yeah, but I can create a new NNID while abroad, won't I be able to choose the country I will be at then?

And by use the older account, I can make purchases and play online just fine? Will I be using the old country's servers or the new one's?

mantidor

Yeah, but I can create a new NNID while abroad, won't I be able to choose the country I will be at then?

And by use the older account, I can make purchases and play online just fine? Will I be using the old country's servers or the new one's?

Yes you can create a new nnid and chose the country.

However I would test your current nnid first, it should work. You'll probably be paying in the same currency since you are moving inside the EU.

Have no idea about how servers work though.

valouris

Yes you can create a new nnid and chose the country.

However I would test your current nnid first, it should work. You'll probably be paying in the same currency since you are moving inside the EU.

Have no idea about how servers work though.

I'll be going to the UK, so paying in GBP will be a bit of a pain. Being able to still pay in Euros would be ideal, but I guess I'll see. Thanks for the quick answers!

Top Bottom