• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2012

StayDead

Just noticed on the eShop that Wario Land 3 is getting a release. I'm just over 80% through Wario Land 2 now so I'll be getting that come next week <3.

My collection of Wario Land games 1-4 will be complete on 3DS. Not including SD though as that's a Wii game. ^^

Just noticed on the eShop that Wario Land 3 is getting a release. I'm just over 80% through Wario Land 2 now so I'll be getting that come next week <3.

My collection of Wario Land games 1-4 will be complete on 3DS. Not including SD though as that's a Wii game. ^^

Well you'll also be missing Virtual Boy Wario Land which is arguably the best in the series.

Javier

I haven't played any of the first three Wario Land games. Even before the Ambassador program the only one I played is WL4.

Any recommendations on which one is the best? Should I just get all of them or wait for a particular one?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I'm jelly.

I haven't played any of the first three Wario Land games. Even before the Ambassador program the only one I played is WL4.

Any recommendations on which one is the best? Should I just get all of them or wait for a particular one?

They're all great games.

StayDead

They're all good for very different reasons IMO. Wario Land 1 is more a traditional platformer (you have health and stuff) (still about treasure though), Wario Land 2 mixes it up with loads of hidden areas, it's also the first game in the series to make you use enemy attacks on you to get to certain areas and Wario Land 3 does what 2 does, extends on the formula and adds some new powers. All of them are awesome.

Roto13

All Wario Lands are great. My personal favourite is Wario Land 2, but you can't go wrong with any of them.
Well you'll also be missing Virtual Boy Wario Land which is arguably the best in the series.

Wario Land VB suffers from Sonic CD Syndrome. It's kind of a holy grail because nobody actually bought a Virtual Boy and played it.

"Oh, yeah, I spent a ton of money on Virtual Boy and it's sooooooooo worth it to play Wario Land. Best game ever made. Uh huh. You don't know what you're missing."

StayDead

It really does make me wonder if they'll "update" the Virtual Boy games and release them on 3DS since the 3D wouldn't blind you this time. I've heard quite a lot of good things about VB Warioland.

OMG Aero

The Virtual Boy has such a negative history that it probably isn't worth the effort emulating it just for one game that most people won't buy because of the console it was on.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
All Wario Lands are great. My personal favourite is Wario Land 2, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Wario Land VB suffers from Sonic CD Syndrome. It's kind of a holy grail because nobody actually bought a Virtual Boy and played it.

"Oh, yeah, I spent a ton of money on Virtual Boy and it's sooooooooo worth it to play Wario Land. Best game ever made. Uh huh. You don't know what you're missing."

Owning a Virtual Boy and Wario Land, I can say it's a very good game. I'd have a tough time saying it's my favorite (SML3, WL4 and Shake It being my other favorites), but it holds true to the series, where every game is great and worth playing.

And I would love to own a version of Wario Land VB, where I didn't have to drag my Virtual Boy out and risk a week long headache.

The Virtual Boy has such a negative history that it probably isn't worth the effort emulating it just for one game that most people won't buy because of the console it was on.

You'd think so, but they've had cameos for the Virtual Boy in Smooth Moves, Super Paper Mario and Smash Bro Melee. They might not enjoy bringing it up too much, but if they think a few of the games will sell like Wario Land and Mario Clash, I'm sure they'd consider emulating them.

Celine

Nintendo should do a 3D remake of it now that it has a console capable of stereoscopic 3D and widely available.

Somnid

VB is interesting, there's so few games on it that it almost makes more sense to do a 3D classics type revival. Either way not releasing Mario Clash and Wario Land VB is a wasted opportunity.

Owning a Virtual Boy and Wario Land, I can say it's a very good game. I'd have a tough time saying it's my favorite (SML3, WL4 and Shake It being my other favorites), but it holds true to the series, where every game is great and worth playing.

And I would love to own a version of Wario Land VB, where I didn't have to drag my Virtual Boy out and risk a week long headache.

I can't talk for SML3 as I never played it, but this post is very spot-on. Wario Land was great on the Virtual Boy, I'd pay lots of money to be able to play it without wishing to replace my eyes for new ones after less than half an hour.

And that's also one of the main reasons I want Mutant Mudds so much, because it reminds me strongly of WL VB...

I'd also pay for Mario Clash and maybe Red Alert. I own three more Virtual Boy games, but they're not that worth it.

By the way, am I the only one that wished to see the DSiWare/Demos/VC scrolling bar always on screen for faster navigation? Or maybe change it when you're in a category to select genre rather than having to change the filter.

EDIT: vvvvvv

You mean Mario Tennis? The gameplay itself it's not very bad, but the content is very lacking. I have no desire to play it if I can't unlock anything, and I wasn't a fan of the camera.

zigg

I liked VB Tennis (whatever it was called) too. I think that's all I have left for my VB besides Clash and Wario... sold off Red Alarm which, man, no desire whatsoever to go back there.

I'd really love to play Bound High, an unreleased Virtual Boy game which was leaked last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-bV6y-gJI

Galactic Pinball (by Intelligent Systems!) looks awesome, as does Jack Bros... really, the Virtual Boy had a pretty damn solid lineup of games considering how short its lifespan was. People just couldn't actually appreciate them because the hardware was so unfeasible to use.

zigg

You mean Mario Tennis? The gameplay itself it's not very bad, but the content is very lacking. I have no desire to play it if I can't unlock anything, and I wasn't a fan of the camera.
Yeah, that's the one. It was simple, but it was fun. As I get older I appreciate the must-unlock-everything mentality less and less, saving it for games that reach that level where it's so much fun to play that the unlocks are just icing. Mario's Tennis was fun on its own without the frills.

I almost bought Teleroboxer when I got mine on clearance at Target way back when. Was that one any good?

Eusis

If it's really that big of a problem they could just remake the game instead. That may be the better course of action anyway, red and black worked fine for 1995 technology, but on the 3DS screen you'll have ghosting like crazy, at the least it'd need to become the GB palate or something.

Murrah

Banned
When doing the last of my GBA ambassador game surveys I went out of my way to throw such harshities as "wasted opportunity" and "I never truly understood the meaning of disappointment until now" in the "How satisfied with the Virtual Console service are you?" section; I even specifically went out of my way to individually call out the Wario Land games, and now I see Japan's getting 3 before we have any of them (excluding 4, natch). I'm at the point where I'm about to just bust out my GBC and play them that way and forget about getting the VC versions at all. Don't do me like dis Nintendo

Empty

with respect to those in the us who haven't even got the first, i hope noe hurries up with bringing over wario land 2 and 3. wl1 on e-shop was my first game in the series and i adored it.

I know the topic has been beaten to death but still:

What the hell NoA? NoE is beating you to the punch on 3DS VC! What world is this?

Seriously, no releases for the entire month of April? Do they not release they are just leaving money on the table by not releasing these games?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
For whatever reason I couldn't get the update to work last night, which was extremely frustrating. So I woke up this morning and was going to try again but my 3DS had already downloaded in sleep mode while I was sleeping! Awesomeness, that's how every update for everything EVER should be handled from here on out.

Especially with my slow ass Internet connection out here in the boondocks lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think we can all agree:
- Wario is awesome
- Wario for President 2012
- I wish I could get away with snacking on cloves of garlic
- Every Wario game should be available on 3DS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
- Wario is awesome

Especially Mario & Wario. It was made for the touch screen and most people have never played it. ;_;

Roto13

I know the topic has been beaten to death but still:

What the hell NoA? NoE is beating you to the punch on 3DS VC! What world is this?

Seriously, no releases for the entire month of April? Do they not release they are just leaving money on the table by not releasing these games?

We're probably going to get Block Ball tomorrow.

- Wario is awesome

Yes. I'd buy any Wario game on the system, including ones that aren't for handhelds.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, imagine a color version of the handful of decent VB titles in 3D on the 3DS? And then a little option for a red and black mode.

Nintendo, take notes!

Javier

For whatever reason I couldn't get the update to work last night, which was extremely frustrating. So I woke up this morning and was going to try again but my 3DS had already downloaded in sleep mode while I was sleeping! Awesomeness, that's how every update for everything EVER should be handled from here on out.

Especially with my slow ass Internet connection out here in the boondocks lol.
When you closed your 3DS before going to sleep, were you in the "Downloading Update" screen or were you at the Home menu?

Roto13

When you closed your 3DS before going to sleep, were you in the "Downloading Update" screen or were you at the Home menu?

3DS automatically downloads updates in sleep mode. You don't need to start it manually.

You open your 3DS and it says "Oh, hey, there's an update downloaded, press A to install it"

I almost bought Teleroboxer when I got mine on clearance at Target way back when. Was that one any good?
It was fantastic. Not getting it was the worst decision of your life :p

Seriously though, every time people start talking about the VB I'm surprised at how almost no one mentions Teleroboxer. It's a really good game, very similar to Punch-Out, with nice 3D and great use of the VB's controller's two d-pads. Having it on the 3DS, along with the rest of the few but great VB games, would be wonderful.

I've always liked it a lot. Gameplay wise, it's essentially Punch-Out, and I like the aesthetic that just screams mid-90's futurism. Its biggest problem is its difficulty level. It's one of those occasional Nintendo games that they just mar by making it too hard too quickly (kind of like Pilotwings Resort). But it really is a good game.

Man, it would be cool to have Virtual Boy titles as VC/3D Classics. I wanna play those games. I was actually considering buying a VB but they cost like $100-$150 on Ebay for used, and usually missing parts so...yea...thats out of the question.

One game that I really want on VC is SMB Deluxe, had alotnof fun with it and don't own it...but it'll probably be awhile since SMB was just released.

I just realized that besides the Game Gear games, there hasn't been any ther VC on 3DS this year in NA...wat...I didn't know it was THAT bad...damn...they can release 1 a week and not worry about running out for atleast four years on first party games alone with all of their systems. Come on...!

Also, is it possible that the Zelda Oracle games may not come to VC? I mean, they required a link cable to 100% both games right? Since it requires a link cable Nintendo might not release them...if not I wanna go ahead and get the original copies. What does everyone think? Could they not release them because of this?

MrMan2k3

Also, is it possible that the Zelda Oracle games may not come to VC? I mean, they required a link cable to 100% both games right? Since it requires a link cable Nintendo might not release them...if not I wanna go ahead and get the original copies. What does everyone think? Could they not release them because of this?
You didn't need a link cable - you could also jot down a long password in one game and enter it into the other game.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The new store redesign made me go on a shopping spree. Have you guys tried Go Series: Undead Storm? I just got it and i't pretty cool, and a steal for $2 bucks. It's an over the top left-4-dead with 3 different difficulties and stages and tons of achievements. Plays really well, and the blocky graphics at to the charm.

M3d10n

Didn't expect them to update the eShop layout. Things I noticed so far:

- Recommendations.
- They added a 2nd row of icons in the main screen, which scrolls independently. Seem to be fixed (or more persistent) categories.
- Many screens have filtering ans sorting options now.

You didn't need a link cable - you could also jot down a long password in one game and enter it into the other game.
Really? Cool. Guess that means its likely it'll come. Link's Awakening(well, and Minish Cap but thats besides the point) was the only 2D Zelda that I could really get into. So looking forward to two more games that play like it. Hope it comes out by 2016! lol...

Did we know that Retro City Rampage was going to land on WiiWare after all?

Because it's in the latest Nintendo Power as an "upcoming WiiWare title", along with a promise of five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update, and an "upgraded" 3DS version of Cave Story.

There's also a lengthy Jools Watsham bit abot Bomb Monkey.

Huh? Details please.

Eusis

- Wario is awesome
Would Waluigi be vice president?
Well, this year is Wario's 20th anniversary so... he'll get about as much as Metroid did.
He's already getting more just through these VC releases. And appearing in games that come out this year.

Boney

Banned

I like WL1 the most. It's the only one I really really like though, admitedly, I haven't played it in years.

Huh? Details please.

Apparently they want to bring like the Steam version to the eShop. Widescreen support, added content like Curly mode, the Fortress thingy and Boss Rush and the like. Removing the DSiware version from the eshop but not from the DSi store.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I was at the home screen. I recieved an error while trying to download that made me restate my system. When I woke up it said my system was ready to update, so I clicked ok and it took like a minute to apply my update then restarted the system, and bam, there everything was.

Like swapnotes and Nintendo Video content, it automatically downloaded it and applied it when I opened my system. :)

Berordn

Really? Cool. Guess that means its likely it'll come. Link's Awakening(well, and Minish Cap but thats besides the point) was the only 2D Zelda that I could really get into. So looking forward to two more games that play like it. Hope it comes out by 2016! lol...

If they were smart it would be a 2 for 1 deal where it links the games automatically. But this is Nintendo...

Gravijah

"oh man kirby's block ball sounds sweet."

"oh man it's on vc, how did i miss this!"

not available in america yet.

sigh.

Eusis

Seriously, I was frustrated at times with the VC on the Wii, but this is completely ridiculous. Is there really that little of a market for this stuff now? :/

Top Bottom