• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2012

zroid

Banned
Has Nintendo ever had sales on digital titles? Its part of the reason why i don't buy much.

Never on Wii and DSiWare (except maybe with a couple exceptions). NCL and NOE have had sales somewhat regularly on 3DS; NOA did for a while in the summer but seems unwilling to continue.

Apparently on Wii U, sales are almost completely in the hands of the publisher, so we're likely to see them much more often. Maybe not on Nintendo games, though.

Santiako

I received it in 2-3 days and did it ~1 week after it started. Check Club Nintendo to see if you can reselect which game you want and also your spam folder. Email Nintendo if you find nothing.

I just looked around in forums from here (Spain) and nobody has the code yet, so I'm less concerned now.

Olorin

Was Castle Conqueror-Heroes any good? It looks like a Strategy RPG. Same with 2.
Hadn't heard of them until now.

I've played the first one and it wasn't bad, but not great. The main gameplay mechanics are solid, but it's gets very repetitive and tedious. I think the last level took me more than 2 hours to beat and I almost fell asleep. The translation of the dialogue is possibly the worst I've ever seen, as nearly every sentence has one or more typos.
There are some interesting ideas in the game though. It's a strategy rpg where every map has bases that can be conquered, and bases are connected by energy lines. When your troops stand on an uninterrupted energy line that's connected to one of your bases, they'll heal a bit every turn.
Nintendolife gave it an 9/10 though, so opinions differ.

zroid

Banned
Interesting: SMB Lost Levels is worth 600 points on the Wii Console, but only $4.99 on 3DS eShop.

Hmmm... I know it cost more on the Wii because it was part of their import series. Maybe now they feel since the localization is done already it can be fairly priced as a regular NES game.

Drago

Next week is gonna be pricy... I'm definitely picking up at least SMB:LL and Mega Man and Fluidity is a likely purchase. That's $21 right there :(

also

Banned
Has Nintendo ever had sales on digital titles? Its part of the reason why i don't buy much.

NoE has been having sales for the last 2 weeks. Sure, so far it's only been 2 1st party VC tittles per week but it's a nice start.
They also had a discount for Pushmo/Pulblox after they announced Crashmo/Fallblox and before that they had a 2 week promotion with various 1st and 3rd party eShop tittles on sale.

rjc571

Banned
Lots of good stuff this week. I insta-downloaded Wario Land 2, and I bought the new Wiiware game after playing the demo (it's quite good, though it seems like it's gonna be really short). I also downloaded the 2 Fast 4 Gnomz demo and it pretty much sold me on the 3DS version (controls are a big improvement over the Wii version and the 3D looks terrific), so I'm planning on picking it up soon. I'll probably pick up Bit Trip Saga eventually as well, along with Escape Vektor if I read some positive impressions on it. Even that 3D Pix or whatever game looks like a decent buy for $4. Plus there's lots of good stuff already confirmed for next week. And I just spent a bunch of money on GoG and PSN the last couple of weeks. Fuck my wallet.

3DS VC has a flat price for NES games, ie no import tax. Kinda weird, actually, given that GB/GG games use a variable pricing system.

I'm not at home to check, but I'm pretty sure they're variable here in Australia. It stood out to me because some were the dollar value of the 500 Points they went for on Wii while others were less. So it wasn't just minus the "import" tax but straight up cheaper.

JoeFu

Banned
Dang... Scribblenauts on PC on steam sale already, is there any way that Scribblenauts will ever go on sale on the eShop? I want the Wii U version, but the PC one is so cheap :(

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm not at home to check, but I'm pretty sure they're variable here in Australia. It stood out to me because some were the dollar value of the 500 Points they went for on Wii while others were less. So it wasn't just minus the "import" tax but straight up cheaper.

I don't think that's a reflection of a variable pricing system per se--NOE flicked some imaginary switch recently which meant that AU prices stopped being direct conversions (1EUR = 1AUD or whatever) and started being closer to the actual EU price. It's not a direct conversion, but it's much better than the old "take the NA price and add 50%" system they were using before.

You can tell which games were released after the changes because they all have weird non-standard prices; I think Crashmo is $10.40 or something like that, for example.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Updating the CN spreadsheet, but I need some info from any brave souls.

If you download any of these games, please tell me how many coins you get for them on Club Nintendo.

• Mario Tennis Open and Pilotwings Resort - CN lists both as 60 coin games. 40 for reg, 10 for postplay = 50. If anyone buys these, let me know how many coins you get - they might be giving a 10 coin early reg for the digital versions.
  • Pokemon Rumble Blast (download) - It's priced at $34.99 as opposed to the $39.99 of the other 3DS retail titles, but CN lists it as 60 as well.
  • BIT.TRIP Saga - CN says this is worth 30. I'm assuming it's 20 reg, 10 post play.
  • Riding Stables 3D - this is priced at $29.99, so it looks like it should have a retail release, but I can only find a retail version for this in England. Anyone know if it had a retail release? If not, how many coins for this?

DDayton

Even the game itself, right? I dont have to rebuy? I'm confused because there's no account system with the 3DS.

There is an account system with the 3DS. You just can't use the account on multiple systems nor manually log into it. It's "behind the scenes" and working on your 3DS, OR any 3DS you later do a System Transfer to.

Any purchase you make can be redownloaded whenever you like.

There is an account system with the 3DS. You just can't use the account on multiple systems nor manually log into it. It's "behind the scenes" and working on your 3DS, OR any 3DS you later do a System Transfer to.

Any purchase you make can be redownloaded whenever you like.

You're very correct. The system transfer process is really just transferring your DRM licenses. That's why Nintendo says to insert your old SD card into your new 3DS after the process has completed.

Het_Nkik

Hmmm... I know it cost more on the Wii because it was part of their import series. Maybe now they feel since the localization is done already it can be fairly priced as a regular NES game.

What localization? Game was in English even in Japan.

Erethian

Dang... Scribblenauts on PC on steam sale already, is there any way that Scribblenauts will ever go on sale on the eShop? I want the Wii U version, but the PC one is so cheap :(

Assuming retail titles on the eShop work the same as eShop-only titles, it'd be up to the publisher as to whether it goes on sale or not.

DDayton

If for some strange reason, the price went up, would you pay them extra? Of course not, you agreed to the price at time of purchase by selecting "buy".

I'm just having fun with you :)
Oh, I know - but digital game sales 4 weeks after release seems a bit much. All it does is drive home a "don't buy our games when they release."

hongcha

I downloaded this last night due to it having a 5 star rating on the eshop. It's pretty awesome. Basically, it's a Ninja platformer that feels a lot like the side scrolling Goemon games. Lots of depth, nice music, tight controls, good graphics, etc. I'm surprising more people aren't talking about it, it's one of the nicest surprises on the eshop, and only 500 yen too.

kswiston

If you have a PC that can run it, Amazon will be selling Scribblenauts Unlimited for $7.50 on Dec 24-26. Never going to beat that price on Wii U, even if it goes on sale.

I would buy more digital games from Nintendo if they didn't expect $39.99 for titles that are $15-30 pretty much everywhere. Mario Tennis is the type of game that I would by day 1 for $19.99, but won't even consider for $39.99. Nintendo will get my $40 for Fire Emblem Awakening, but that is basically it for the titles they have announced to date.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is Wario Land 2 the only one with Zombie Wario? If so then that's the one I played as a kid, along with WL4. I remember both being pretty amazeballs at the time.

Edit- Hmm it may have been WL3 then. Yeah, it was definitely 3.

watershed

Banned
I'm now downloading Harvest Moon, I hope its as good as people say! Adventure Time was also tempting but I kept dying in the demo so I'm not so sure.

The Hermit

Paying 26 reais for bit.trip.saga is amazing... I always wanted it, but though it was too expensive.
Silly me, this game worth the full retail price.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Gunman Clive is now 19th in the current Italian top 20 on the eShop, 13th with the "only 3DS (downloadables)" filter on. How is it doing in other countries?

beril

Gunman Clive is now 19th in the current Italian top 20 on the eShop, 13th with the "only 3DS (downloadables)" filter on. How is it doing in other countries?

Awesome! How many reviews?
17/10 in Sweden and three review (there was some speculation earlier that several small markets were lumped together, so probably not in sweden alone, and one of the reviews is me)

First day sales looks promising. Not overwhelmingly so and no instant riches. But for a game with very little prerelease hype I can't complain. I think it's higher than the highest daily sales I've got on iOS, but not quite at the same levels as when the Android version was featured in the top spot in Google Play, but it's also only out in one market, and not a full 24 hours. Still too early to make any real conclusion though.

edit:
switched region to check some other markets
UK 13/9 - 4 reviews
Germany -/17 - 5 reviews
France -/- 4 reviews

five stars everywhere, except germany which had one 4 star review

Awesome! How many reviews?
17/10 in Sweden and three review (there was some speculation earlier that several small markets were lumped together, so probably not in sweden alone, and one of the reviews is me)

First day sales looks promising. Not overwhelmingly so and no instant riches. But for a game with very little prerelease hype I can't complain. I think it's higher than the highest daily sales I've got on iOS, but not quite at the same levels as when the Android version was featured in the top spot in Google Play, but it's also only out in one market, and not a full 24 hours. Still too early to make any real conclusion though.
I did my part. Lovely little game.

Top Bottom