• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2012

beril

So no new 3DS download exclusives this week? I guess people will just have to keep buying Gunman Clive for another week

just according to Keikaku

MegaMan on virtual console!!! Finally!!

Now I'm playing with power! (Excited!)

so megaman 2 in feb. and megaman 3 in April and so on? I'm more than ok with that.

Very good week for VC. Unfortunately I have no need for Lost Levels as I already have both the GBA Famicom mini version and Wii VC (we really need at least limited cross play support). Mega Man 1 is very tempting though since I currently only have it on the GC Anniversary Collection.

Disappointed to hear that Toki Tori 2 got pushed back and that there is nothing on the Wii U shop this week.

At least I'll be buying two 3DS VC games! :D

Wiz

Never tried Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels so I'll be picking that up. Funny how back in the day that would have been the modern "New Super Mario Bros. 2" in terms of design and art.

rjc571

Banned
Very good week for VC. Unfortunately I have no need for Lost Levels as I already have both the GBA Famicom mini version and Wii VC (we really need at least limited cross play support). Mega Man 1 is very tempting though since I currently only have it on the GC Anniversary Collection.

NES/SNES games on GBA = gross. The GBA's screen resolution is too low, resulting in a significant portion of the image being cropped. The 3DS actually has enough pixels to display the entire picture.

zigg

The GBA's screen resolution is too low, resulting in a significant portion of the image being cropped.
For the NES Classics/Famicom Mini case, right cause, (mostly) wrong effect. Most of the resolution constraint is alleviated by downscaling graphics, using various techniques—IIRC, it was done very similarly to PocketNES; tiles are smoothly downscaled, and sprites have rows simply deleted. There is slight cropping, but not much more than overscan would cut off.

Drago

Going to download SMB LL and Mega Man today, and I'll get Gunman Clive next week.

Downloaded Crimson Shroud yesterday. Haven't gotten very far into it (about a half hour) but my first impressions are text text text text text text text

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
apparently my Wii just WILL NOT DOWNLOAD Ogre Battle 64. I've gotten errors all three times I've tried.

Downloaded La-Mulana just fine, though.

M3d10n

Going to download SMB LL and Mega Man today, and I'll get Gunman Clive next week.

Downloaded Crimson Shroud yesterday. Haven't gotten very far into it (about a half hour) but my first impressions are text text text text text text text

Sorry buddy, texttextext is all you're going to get, because the game *is* a choose-your-own-adventure-book-with-figurines-and-jrpg-battles affair.

With the digital release of New Love Plus yesterday, that makes 4 retail games I want to dl from the JP 3DS eShop. But I'd need another SD Card - just don't know if I should go for a 16go or directly a 32go (price doubles and it would be used solely for that purpose).
Any news on future 4go games per chance?

In any case I'm glad NLP got released, 'cause that means other "old" games still not available on the eShop may see a download version in the future.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I would get a 32 GB, which I consider a reasonable ceiling for 3DS games now. I got a good one last month for around twenty bucks.

NES/SNES games on GBA = gross. The GBA's screen resolution is too low, resulting in a significant portion of the image being cropped. The 3DS actually has enough pixels to display the entire picture.

It all depends on the game and the factors that Zigg mentioned. I know the GBA rev of SMB 1 supposedly had some serious image issues (I don't own it so can't confirm) but I can confirm that SMB LL on GBA looks beautiful, especially on a second revision GBA screen.

BriBri

With the digital release of New Love Plus yesterday, that makes 4 retail games I want to dl from the JP 3DS eShop. But I'd need another SD Card - just don't know if I should go for a 16go or directly a 32go (price doubles and it would be used solely for that purpose).
Any news on future 4go games per chance?

In any case I'm glad NLP got released, 'cause that means other "old" games still not available on the eShop may see a download version in the future.
Get a 32GB one. I have and would only have regretted a 16GB. Incidentally, what are the other three retail games you want? I'm very tempted by Fantasy Life...

rjc571

Banned
So Fluidity on the 3DS runs at only 30 frames per second. What the friggin hell?! This is seriously disappointing. The Wii game runs at 60.

It's still really good so far (I especially love the 360 degree rotation levels), but I'm baffled as to why they had to lower the framerate.

Get a 32GB one. I have and would only have regretted a 16GB. Incidentally, what are the other three retail games you want? I'm very tempted by Fantasy Life...

Layton Kyouju vs Gyakuten Saiban
Tobidase Doubutsu no Mori
Bravely Default : Flying Fairy

I think I'll get the 32go one then...better be safe than sorry I guess.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So no new 3DS download exclusives this week? I guess people will just have to keep buying Gunman Clive for another week

just according to Keikaku
That explains the 4th position in the Recent Bestsellers on the PL store ; )

Downloaded Crimson Shroud yesterday. Haven't gotten very far into it (about a half hour) but my first impressions are typeface characters from a dusty ancient grimoire, printed roughly on a skewed hewn slab of parchment, repeating endlessly into the dark recesses of the stone lined bellows of the castle keep, beckon me ever forward.

much better

Bog

Junior Ace
So in 2 weeks, basically the 3 most difficult NES games got released on 3DS VC. Seems a little mean around the holidays.

So Fluidity on the 3DS runs at only 30 frames per second. What the friggin hell?! This is seriously disappointing. The Wii game runs at 60.

It's still really good so far (I especially love the 360 degree rotation levels), but I'm baffled as to why they had to lower the framerate.

It has relatively complex physics and is running on a platform less powerful than Wii. That's probably what it comes down to.

Been having issues downloading Shock Troopers. Finally got it after a 3rd attempt. Sometimes I feel it has something to do with the Wii Mode within the Wii U. It's not the first time a download has a failed on me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been having issues downloading Shock Troopers. Finally got it after a 3rd attempt. Sometimes I feel it has something to do with the Wii Mode within the Wii U. It's not the first time a download has a failed on me.

It might have to do more with traffic. My friend was having trouble downloading NES games on Christmas on his regular Wii.

MrMan2k3

I second this. Can anyone confirm how it works? I'd really like to do another Wii to Wii U transfer if I can, but not if there's a risk of losing save data and Miis.

An update for anyone who is wondering:

My in-laws bought a used Wii which came with a bunch of Virtual Console games they were never going to play. I borrowed it and used the Wii U transfer tool to send all of their games over to my Wii U, which I had already used to transfer over my own games from my old Wii.

I was concerned that I would lose all my Miis during the transfer, but luckily I was able to avoid this.

After you ready the SD card in the Wii U and put it in the Wii, it alerts you that there are Miis on the target system already and asks you if you'd like to replace them. You can select "No" and Miis will be retained on the source Wii and the Miis on the target Wii U will NOT be overwritten. It asks the same thing about your Wii internet settings.

Also of note, if you have the same WiiWare/VC title on the Wii U and source Wii, it will not be transferred and will remain usable on the source Wii. One thing that is unavoidable is transferring saves, so make sure to first copy any saves on either system that you don't want to lose to an SD card. The saves will be deleted from the source Wii and will overwrite any saves for the same game on the target Wii U. Luckily my in-laws only had about five games so I didn't have to worry about backing up too many saves.

BriBri

Metal Max (Famicom) and the awesome Revenge of the 'Gator Pinball (Game Boy) coming to the Japanese eShop on 9 January. Gator Pinball is scheduled for a western release also (Q1?).

Edit: Senran Kagura Burst on the 10th (¥5,980)

Megaman 1. I still remember a lot of enemy patterns from when I played this as a kid.
Already beaten 2 robot masters.. (Cut man and bomb man if you must know).
I freaking love these games. Capcom was untouchable on the NES.

If they really release all the megaman NES games like they have said, then I'm going to have to upgrade to the xl. The og3ds has the worst gamepad in Nintendo console history.

Slide pad control for megaman is probably not going to work out for me too well

Velcro Fly

Why am I so tempted by Mega Man 1 when I have powered up on my PSP

Also hope that NoA kinda keeps to announcing their VC release schedule months in advance because it's nice to look forward to something and leads to less disappointment on Thursdays when nothing goes up.

rjc571

Banned
Have a look at the Wii original if you've got a Wii or Wii U. I think it's superior to the 3DS sequel.

But all of the levels in the Wii game are already included in the 3DS game (along with 100 new ones). Sure the Wii game looks and controls a tiny bit better, but the 3DS version still makes it all but obsolete.

Is it just me or is there something off about the Wii U Pro Controller? Like the buttons are too close together or something?

I just got a white one and have been trying it out on Mighty Switch Force HD and it takes some getting use too, feels odd compared to the regular Wii U pad/old Wii Classic Pro/360 controller. Anyone else got one?

BowieZ

Banned
I can't download any new games any more due to my SD 8GB size limit. :( I can't afford a new bigger one (or rather, I could probably just afford one but then not any games lol). At least not for a couple of months...

tim.mbp

I can't download any new games any more due to my SD 8GB size limit. :( I can't afford a new bigger one (or rather, I could probably just afford one but then not any games lol). At least not for a couple of months...

Can you copy contents of the SD card to a PC without losing save data?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Am I imagining or did Zen Pinball 2 really get an announcement not long ago of coming to the uShop come 27-ish?

art of balance touch demo - holy crap, who knew a game that looked so boring would be so relaxing/awesome.
If you like that you might also want to check the WiiWare original.

Top Bottom