• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2016

TheMoon

Thank you for posting this terribly underwhelming eShop PR.
Also, please put New Super Luigi U standalone on sale, or back as a MyNintendo Reward, Ninty EU. Pretty please.

So what does 2017 have in store for the 3DS apart from DQ VIII?

And when will Circle bring Mercenaries Saga 3 to EU? :3

always a good source:

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/upcoming-releases/

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/nintendo-3ds-what-games-for-2017-part-1-nintendo/
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/nintendo-3ds-what-games-for-2017-part-2-third-party/

Also at least Pikmin is still getting a real installment alongside the spin-off no one asked for.

This "spin-off no one asked for" mentality for any and all spin-offs they make really needs to die a horrible death. God damnit.

DKoops

Neo Member
Here is the English version. Sadly, I don't have Pound Sterling prices yet...

Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

Happy New Year Sale
All the deals lasts until January 8

Nintendo Selects: New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U (Nintendo) - €19.99 (normally €24.99)
Nintendo Selects: Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo) - €19.99 (normally €24.99)
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo) - €34.99 (normally €49.99)
Nintendo Selects: LEGO City Undercover (Nintendo) - €19.99 (normally €24.99)
Pokken Tournament (Nintendo) - €41.99 (normally €59.99)
Splatoon (Nintendo) - €27.99 (normally €39.99)
Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, NES VC) - €3.49 (normally €4.99)
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Nintendo, NES VC) - €3.49 (normally €4.99)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo, NES VC) - €3.49 (normally €4.99)

Special offers
360 Breakout (nuGAME) - €5.00 (Ends January 26, normally €7.00)
Queen's Garden (Joindots) - €3.49 (Ends January 26, normally €6.99)

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

Shin Chan Vol. 4 (TV Asahi, Video) - €1.99
Shin Chan Vol. 5 (TV Asahi, Video) - €1.99

Happy New Year Sale
All the deals lasts until January 8

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (Nintendo) - €27.99 (normally €39.99)
Nintendo Selects: LEGO City Undercover The Chase Begins (Nintendo) - €15.99 (normally €19.99)
Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) - €31.49 (normally €44.99)
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo) - €27.99 (normally €39.99)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - €31.49 (normally €44.99)
Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) - €31.49 (normally €44.99)
BOXBOXBOY! (Nintendo) - €3.49 (normally €4.99)
Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, NES VC) - €3.49 (normally €4.99)
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Nintendo, NES VC) - €3.49 (normally €4.99)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo, NES VC) - €3.49 (normally €4.99)

Special offers
Alien on the run (Joindots) - €3.34 (Ends January 5, normally €4.99)
Crazy Construction (Joindots) - €4.68 (Ends January 5, normally €6.99)
Safari Quest (Joindots) - €3.49 (Ends January 26, normally €6.99)
Carps & Dragons (Abylight) - €1.99 (Ends January 12, normally €4.99)
Music on: Electric Guitar (Abylight) - €0.79 (Ends January 12, normally €1.99)
Musicverse: Electronic Keyboard (Abylight) - €3.19 (Ends January 12, normally €7.99)
Snow Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB) - €3.99 (Ends January 5, normally €7.99)
Cubit The Hardcore Platformer Robot (CoderChild) - €2.09 (Ends January 19, normally €2.99)
Stickman Super Athletics (CoderChild) - €2.09 (Ends January 19, normally €2.99)
WordsUp! Academy (CoderChild) - €2.09 (Ends January 19, normally €2.99)

Nintendo 3DS Theme Shop
All themes will be available on December 30

Pokémon Adventure Partner (Nintendo) - €1.99
Pokémon Full-power ZMoves (Nintendo) - €1.99

Dee Dee

This "spin-off no one asked for" mentality for any and all spin-offs they make really needs to die a horrible death. God damnit.

I agree and apologize, I wasn't trying to be a negative Nancy.
However Nintendo's spin-off efforts have been very hit and miss, and mostly miss lately, and I can't wrap my head around it sometime.

Triforce Heroes and AC Happy Home Designer took aspects from the main game that were well liked and quintessential to the games (i.e. dungeon puzzle design and decorating and interacting with the villagers respectively), and were therefore well received by fans who liked those aspects.

However Federation Force or Chibi Robo Zip-Lash took aspects like multiplayer mode and platforming which were not necessarily aspects that a bigger number of fans for those series were already enjoying in the main game.
And "Pikmin" seems to be in that spirit - a spin-off no one asked for, since it doesn't seem to be building on gameplay elements of the main series but shoving the IP onto something else.

Of course, such tonal shifts can give birth to cool experiments too. I really hope Detective Pikachu turns out to be one of those.

Camjo-Z

What needs to die a horrible death is Nintendo's insistence on crapping out lazy low-budget efforts versus a well-made traditional entry in these series. Imagine if we'd gotten just one new installment of F-Zero instead of a generic 2D platformer with Chibi-Robo slapped on, a neutered Mario Tennis, a terrible Animal Crossing board game, another Paper Mario with watered-down mechanics and no original characters, and a co-op Metroid FPS with uncomfortable controls. Admittedly Pikmin 3DS looks better than the rest from what little we've seen, but there's no need to defend this awful trend.

TheMoon

And "Pikmin" seems to be in that spirit - a spin-off no one asked for, since it doesn't seem to be building on gameplay elements of the main series but shoving the IP onto something else.

Pikmin 3DS looks genuinely awesome. You should watch that GameXplain analysis of the footage.

Not at all comparable to MPFF or Chibi Robo (which are both good games regardless of being asked for or not).

and a co-op Metroid FPS with uncomfortable controls.

aka the same controls that worked fine and people love on the GCN titles^^

Camjo-Z

aka the same controls that worked fine and people love on the GCN titles^^

I can't imagine anyone preferring Metroid Prime's controls to proper dual analog. Even the stylus aiming of Hunters would have been preferable, but the game really just should have been on Wii U.

Tizoc

So any of these are worth getting from the current sale?
Megaman Legacy
Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns
Hometown Story
The Keep
Fairune
Steel Empire
Karous
Noah's Cradle

BooJoh

Fairune
Steel Empire

Fairune is enjoyable, if a bit short at about 2-3 hours. It's more of a puzzle game than RPG since combat is really simplified to just walking into things and they die and deal damage based on your level.

Steel Empire is a fun shmup that lets you fire both forward and backward and has a cool steampunk aesthetic. Given it's marked down to about 1/3rd of its usual premium price I'd say it's well worth it if you're a fan of shmups like R-Type or Gradius.

TheMoon

I can't imagine anyone preferring Metroid Prime's controls to proper dual analog. Even the stylus aiming of Hunters would have been preferable, but the game really just should have been on Wii U.

Prime is not made for or needs dual-analog. The Prime controls work perfectly for what those games are.

Megaman Legacy
Hometown Story
The Keep
Fairune
Steel Empire
Karous
Noah's Cradle

Bolded: Yes
Italics: Never heard of them

Javier

Megaman Legacy
Hometown Story
The Keep
Fairune
Steel Empire
Karous
Noah's Cradle
I can give credit to Fairune. It's short, but very worth its price.

Avoid Hometown Story like the plague. Complete garbage.

Tizoc

Thanks for the info
Is steel empire related to this by any chAnce
maxresdefault.jpg

Hilarion

I fully expect to see Detective Pikachu get a localization closer to the release of the movie for that brand synergy. Plus, since it's episodic they'd be able to bundle a couple of them together to do a retail release as well.

Also at least Pikmin is still getting a real installment alongside the spin-off no one asked for.

Pikmin 3DS so far looks more interesting than any Pikmin game yet. I love 2D platformers and could never really get the hang of 3D exploration like Pikmin.

Ondore

Looks like they're going to try again for Dracula X tomorrow on New 3DS in NA. Wii U gets Mario Kart 64 (frickin' finally).

Zeeman

Man, I hope NA also gets a Nintendo eshop sale tomorrow (and that they think it's worth their while to throw Rhythm Heaven or Picross 3D in there so that Canadians can buy them for less than $40)

Camjo-Z

Pikmin 3DS so far looks more interesting than any Pikmin game yet. I love 2D platformers and could never really get the hang of 3D exploration like Pikmin.

My only complaint is that Nintendo already has so many games filling the 2D platformer niche, and so few filling Pikmin's adventure RTS style. But like I said, it seems decent so far.

Anyway, no one should really listen to me when I call various spin-offs bad considering I bought both Mario & Sonic Rio games day 1 and can't wait for Mario Sports Superstars.

TheMoon

My only complaint is that Nintendo already has so many games filling the 2D platformer niche, and so few filling Pikmin's adventure RTS style. But like I said, it seems decent so far.

Anyway, no one should really listen to me when I call various spin-offs bad considering I bought both Mario & Sonic Rio games day 1 and can't wait for Mario Sports Superstars.

It's not a platformer.

Also: Mario Sports are cool.

Shizza

Looks like they're going to try again for Dracula X tomorrow on New 3DS in NA. Wii U gets Mario Kart 64 (frickin' finally).

That's awesome! I loved playing Mario Kart 64 back in the day (probably one of my most-played games on that console, along with Goldeneye), and will happily drop a 10-spot for nostalgia. Hope Starfox 64 and F-Zero X make their way to the NA store soon too!

Mario Kart 64 finally!

I've been playing Mario Party 2 currently. I wish they'd throw one and three up as well, but I won't hold my breath.

maxcriden

One of my hopes for Pikmin for 3DS is that it has some aspects similar to the supremely under-appreciated Kirby Mass Attack. The trailer seems to indicate it might.

BooJoh

BTW which of the Picross e games are worth getting?

Taking all the Picross games available in NA on 3DS into account, I'd prioritize them like this:

1. My Nintendo Zelda Picross (obviously best value since it's free)
2. Picross e1-7 (the later games have extra features but owning the earlier ones unlocks stuff in some of the later ones, I'd just start with 1 and buy them as you want more)
3. Mario's Picross GBVC (feels a little slow and dated comparably but has probably the most content for the price)
4. Pokemon Picross (interesting extra mechanics make it feel fresh, but you're either going to pay about the price of a retail game to unlock it all or deal with f2p BS for a year or so to play it all.)

Chopper

Taking all the Picross games available in NA on 3DS into account, I'd prioritize them like this:

2. Picross e1-7 (the later games have extra features but owning the earlier ones unlocks stuff in some of the later ones, I'd just start with 1 and buy them as you want more)
3. Mario's Picross GBVC (feels a little slow and dated comparably but has probably the most content for the price)
4. Pokemon Picross (interesting extra mechanics make it feel fresh, but you're either going to pay about the price of a retail game to unlock it all or deal with f2p BS for a year or so to play it all.)
To add to this, Zelda Picross, whilst indeed the best value, has a very different control scheme that absolutely killed it for me. If you're gonna tuck into Picross, make sure you play it FIRST to minimise the impact of the change.

RedToad64

Just a reminder for anyone who is curious on buying Lego City Undercover on sale, remember that it will be getting a Switch port. I nearly forgot, myself!

Shiggy

My 3DS has become a Picross monster. And I didn't get into Picross before the free My Nintendo Picross game.

Dee Dee

Just a reminder for anyone who is curious on buying Lego City Undercover on sale, remember that it will be getting a Switch port. I nearly forgot, myself!

But, wouldn't that mean that you should buy and play it cheap now instead of buying it for more expensive later on Switch?

I always forget how much people enjoy shinier graphics...

Bowl0l

But, wouldn't that mean that you should buy and play it cheap now instead of buying it for more expensive later on Switch?

Or buy a PC/PS4 version because it will get cheaper earlier.

TheMoon

nevermind the fact that it will lose all the GamePad functionality. While nothing substantial, it was pretty cool.

L~A

NA:

Virtual Console on Wii U

Mario Kart 64 – Put the pedal to the metal in this worthy Nintendo 64 successor to the Super NES classic, Super Mario Kart. With improved courses and a head-to-head four-player mode, the Mario Kart 64 game is sure to win the heart of any racing fan. The game includes 20 different courses filled with dips, valleys, jumps, tunnels and bridges. Smooth, precise control will bring players back time and time again for freewheeling fun.

Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS

Castlevania Dracula X – In this Super NES horror classic, gear up as Richter Belmont – equipped with the legendary Vampire Killer – to save his beloved. Battle against monsters that lurk in the shadows and strategically use magical tomes, mystical power-ups and titanic weapons. Unfold another chapter in the Belmont family's lineage, with more than seven stages of grim encounters and myriad of possibilities depending on the choices that you make.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

Great deals this week include Just Dance 2017, Runbow and Teslagrad, plus several more! Check out the full list of deals on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U available this week at http://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:

New themes this week include:

Pokémon New Partner
Pokémon Full-power Z-Moves

Fewr

Thanks.

I'm tired of waiting for a Picross e sale, so maybe next year I'll give up and start buying.

Experien

After Picross 3D, it is hard to go back to the regular picross for me. I even got my gf hooked on the DS Picross 3D.

Zeeman

After Picross 3D, it is hard to go back to the regular picross for me. I even got my gf hooked on the DS Picross 3D.

I love Picross 3D, and I totally get that. For me it's that a hard 3D puzzle doesn't necessarily look daunting at first, while I know what I'm getting into when I start doing a big 2D puzzle, so I'm less likely to want to start it. Also, I find the 3D puzzles where I'm stuck really benefit from stepping away, so I don't mind pausing in the middle of a puzzle where I'm stuck.

jholmes

I doubt Lego City Undercover will get significant graphical improvements in the ports.

Now, improved loading times is another story, and seriously worth considering.

Top Bottom