• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2012

M3d10n

I still haven't beat all of Pushmo's puzzles. After the standard puzzles I didn't think it could get any harder... but it did.

I considered myself good at Pushmo, swiftly solving the puzzles people complained about in the OT. But damn, true evil lurks in the bonus pushmos. I finally cleared the bonus murals and the last ones were completely brutal.

I was seriously contemplating reading a FAQ for 234 (the moai statues)... but managed to find my way out after a single hint
the button is a trap!
. But I think I easily spent two hours on it (been trying to solve it every night for three days).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Anyone think.we'll ever have a decent way of extrapolating sales data based on the number of reviews?
Not really --- if I'm reading the 3DS eShop manual correctly, you can browse titles by either popularity (purchases) or review score. Browsing by popularity shows that the number of review scores is out of whack compared to sales...

Morts

Thanks everybody, I got Pushmo and its pretty damned addictive. I feel like I'm in a Picross 3d situation all over again.

BowieZ

Banned
Not really --- if I'm reading the 3DS eShop manual correctly, you can browse titles by either popularity (purchases) or review score. Browsing by popularity shows that the number of review scores is out of whack compared to sales...

Total number of reviews simply indicates how passionate people are about the experience.

zigg

Total number of reviews simply indicates how passionate people are about the experience.
Yeah, pretty much. And I'm beginning to suspect that the 1-hour requirement biases that passion pretty strongly toward the five-star end of the spectrum.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The Nintendo Zone/Best Buy demos go up today, right? Has anyone tried that trick with the app to see if you can access them remotely?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh, so you're accessing it remotely now? I was sure they were gonna be offering stuff that's not on the eShop currently.

So wait, they expect people to go to a Nintendo Zone location and have them watch a 20+ minute episode of pokemon? Why can't you download them :(

M3d10n

So wait, they expect people to go to a Nintendo Zone location and have them watch a 20+ minute episode of pokemon? Why can't you download them :(

Because you can access it at home. Rename your wifi network SSID to attwifi and disable security and Nintendo Zone works.

Because you can access it at home. Rename your wifi network SSID to attwifi and disable security and Nintendo Zone works.

Does Nintendo assume that people will do that though? If they did, it would make more sense to bake this Nintendo Zone functionality into the eShop, because as it is right now it's basically just another eShop front-end.

GeekyDad

You underestimate the power of adolescents and their ability to bug the shit out of mom to bring them to Best Buy so they can watch a Pokemon video you can't see anywhere else. Mom thinks to herself, "Eh, fuck it. I can shop while he's watching his video." CEO of BB pats Reggie on the back while handing him a check. They both have a good laugh while you post here wondering wtf was Nintendo thinking?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm playing Mutant Mudds, and I think Renegade Kid knocked it out the park. Just pure old school platforming bliss. Soundtrack is great too!

Any idea of when that Armadillo Tower Defense from Nintendo is coming?

The Nintendo Zone is kind of lame. We already have demos of Mario & Sonic and REvelaitions and the Pokemon anime is pretty shitty these days. It would be cool if someone found a way to connect to the Japanese version or something.

The Nintendo Zone is kind of lame. We already have demos of Mario & Sonic and REvelaitions and the Pokemon anime is pretty shitty these days. It would be cool if someone found a way to connect to the Japanese version or something.
We don't have to go that far, Best Buy is promising 15 demos, right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any hints at when to expect Wario Land 1 for NA eShop?

Well, normally in terms of hints, here's what we get:
- Is it released in Japan? Yes.
- Is it rated for US release? Not yet, although it's rated for some non-US English territories IIRC
- Has Nintendo Power said it's coming out? Not sure.

... and then magically it appears one day.

M3d10n

Nintendo Zone kinds looks like a rejected prototype of the e-Shop. It works exactly like the Wii and the DSi storefronts: it's just a heavily modified browser that must load each page before displaying (and has zero caching).

Can someone run it through a proxy to see if the traffic is encrypted? I also wonder how long it'll take for Nintendo to notice people are now accessing it from home.

Morts

It never occurred to me until a few minutes ago, but now it's blowing my mind that there are no Donkey Kong Land games on the eShop.

Jackano

Nintendo Downloads - February 2012

Remember people that The Legend of Zelda - Four Swords 25th Anniversary Edition DSiware will no longer be free starting Feb, 20th.
Feb, 21th is The Legend of Zelda 26th anniversary!

Aucool

really curious to try the Crush 3D demo, I love it's paper mario / fez style gameplay, if it has also a good level design it could be a nice game to buy at a discount price

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Remember people that The Legend of Zelda - Four Swords 25th Anniversary Edition DSiware will no longer be free starting Feb, 20th. Feb, 21th is The Legend of Zelda 26th anniversary!

...actually, that's not quite accurate, if I'm reading the eShop page correctly. It sounds as though Four Swords will be removed entirely on that date...

Robin64

The European eShop is really suffering because of how long it takes PEGI to rate games over here. VVVVVV was submitted at the same time as in the US, but because we're still waiting for PEGI to pull their finger out there's no sign of it coming out.

If you consider devs (at least, the indie ones) will always submit their game to each territory at the same time, we'll always be a couple of months behind with those releases just because of an external company. Pretty crappy.

The European eShop is really suffering because of how long it takes PEGI to rate games over here. VVVVVV was submitted at the same time as in the US, but because we're still waiting for PEGI to pull their finger out there's no sign of it coming out.

If you consider devs (at least, the indie ones) will always submit their game to each territory at the same time, we'll always be a couple of months behind with those releases just because of an external company. Pretty crappy.

I wish Nintendo would consider abandoning the external ratings companies for their DD stuff - save devs money and hassle, and speed up releases globally.

@MUWANdo

Banned

VVVVVV's issues aren't PEGI-related, they're Nicalis-related.

As for the second part of your post, that's hardly true of all indies, or even most indies.

Robin64

VVVVVV's issues aren't PEGI-related, they're Nicalis-related.

Sorry, you're wrong. Here are words from the keyboard of Terry Cavanagh:

"Nicalis still need to submit it to Nintendo Europe, whenever they get the PEGI rating. Could be a month, or more. Sorry :("

Edit: And from a ScrewAttack article:

"Nicalis, Inc. also mentioned in another Twitter post that VVVVVV and the DSiWare version of Cave Story are ready for a European release, but PEGI (Pan European Game Information) is delaying the games' release in that region."

sakipon

And to be clear, attwifi works on all 3DS versions. On a European system all that came up was a 'coming soon' page, but on a Japanese system I could access what I suppose to be the US front end. Videos and stuff worked fine (Olympics game, Pokemon eps) but it didn't let me download the Olympics demo... Region lock in guess.

Now our Japanese brothers just need to figure out the way to connect into their hot spots.

tsab

It never occurred to me until a few minutes ago, but now it's blowing my mind that there are no Donkey Kong Land games on the eShop.

Let me blow your mind ever more. There is no Donkey Kong 1 (either arcade or nes version) game in any VC

GeekyDad

Kinda sorry now I didn't go for Mudds over Sakura Samurai. Don't get me wrong, it's decent, but it lacks that Nintendo touch I was expecting. All the surface Nintendo-isms are there, but there's no real magic. It's pretty dang repetitive, even for a $7 game. And though I enjoy certain games that are repetitive (like Samurai Warriors), there's very little to work toward here, giving you incentive to play through all those battles.

Top Bottom