• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2017

TheMoon

DAMN. I remember hearing for years they couldn't get it on the Wii VC because of technical issues or something.

Least Wii U VC will go out with a sort-of bang.

They even said it wouldn't come to Wii U VC just two years ago!

DKoops

Neo Member
I am SHOCKED that Harvest Moon 64 is coming to the Virtual Console at all. Natsume has said at various instances that the task would be impossible. The two quotes that stand out to me are from 2010 and 2015.

Shiggy

Pretty lame week for 3DS. At least I finally bought the eShop download codes for Mario vs DK: Minis March Again and Mario & DK: Minis on the Move. Got them for 5 EUR instead of the 18 EUR on eShop...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now hopefully, Switch will be able to let N64 games that required the Memory Pak, expanding the library that could hit the VC.

........gimme the other 2 Bomberman games & both Goemon games, Konami....

TheMoon

There only being a few weeks left of Wii U VC releases and no Smash 64 in sight

Unless they keep doing Wii U VC releases after the Switch is out. But otherwise, this week would be HM64, and then that just leaves next week.

Why would they just randomly end? Wii U customers don't fall over dead the day the Switch comes out.

foltzie1

How long did Wii VC releases continue after the Wii U was released?

The last releases were into mid 2013 (mostly for Neo Geo titles oddly enough).

Wii U launched in Nov 2012 and its VC didn't get doing until April 2013.

Even typing that it highlights how little Nintendo had together for the Wii U launch and seemingly the Switch launch.

After coming out of the gate hard with the Wii VC, this is rather disappointing.

Dear Nintendo, consider just shipping ROMs with the stock emulator and enabling bug reports and push updates for issues. The customer base using VC would be OK with being pseudo beta testers.

GulAtiCa

Oh. So I was looking at this week's NOE Discounts and was really confused on why my 2 games weren't listed. I logged into Nintendo's Dev Game setup area to check out details, and noticed that it's already on sale! I forgot that I set it up to go on sale for last week. lol

Umibozu

I would assume the darkness filter is still there, but I've seen comments say it's less pronounced in more recent games.
If your tv has adjustable brightness settings I would say go for it.

deadfolk

I would assume the darkness filter is still there, but I've seen comments say it's less pronounced in more recent games.
If your tv has adjustable brightness settings I would say go for it.

Probably be playing in on the gamepad more often than not. I think I'll wait for impressions. Need something to tide me over until the 3rd.

Dee Dee

Sweet, here's the "Parascientific Cruise..." sale I have been waiting for!

The last day of the Wii U VC are excellent by the way. Ogre Battle, Bomberman 94, and now Harvest Moon 64!
Now bring over Terranigma, the Final Fantasies, and Mother 3, then this thing paid off big time after all.

maxcriden

Probably be playing in on the gamepad more often than not. I think I'll wait for impressions. Need something to tide me over until the 3rd.

Does the GamePad have brightness settings? I thought it did. And for GBA games, FWIW, those were artificially brightened to begin with to make up for the lack of a backlit screen on GBA, so those shouldn't be as bad with the dark filter as the N64 ones. Hope that helps.

TheMoon

Are the N64 games on Wii U still mega dark? So tempted by HM64.

Nothing changed there.

Does the GamePad have brightness settings? I thought it did. And for GBA games, FWIW, those were artificially brightened to begin with to make up for the lack of a backlit screen on GBA, so those shouldn't be as bad with the dark filter as the N64 ones. Hope that helps.

Yes, GamePad brightness settings to max (heh) removes any darkness issues in Off-TV for N64 VC.

Javier

If Wii U VC is really coming to an end, they need to put the GOAT in there for an absolute megaton finish:

JpB8Vlh.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OMG, I would gladly rebuy Mischief Makers if it was added to the VC.

Nintendo published it in the US & EU, plus we know they can get Treasure games on the service (i.e. Sin & Punishment), so it seems possible.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One of these days, I really want Bangai-O, though I'd be fine with the N64 version since that version is super rare due to a very low print run.

...though it wasn't released in the US, only the DC version.

Morts

Are you kidding me with the HM64? I would've bought it on VC at any point in the last decade, but they wait a) two days after I bought Stardew Valley and b) a week before I buy new Nintendo hardware that probably won't play my VC games for a good long while.

TheMoon

Are you kidding me with the HM64? I would've bought it on VC at any point in the last decade, but they wait a) two days after I bought Stardew Valley and b) a week before I buy new Nintendo hardware that probably won't play my VC games for a good long while.

part of the 20th HM anniversary apparently...

deadfolk

Nothing changed there.

Yes, GamePad brightness settings to max (heh) removes any darkness issues in Off-TV for N64 VC.

Ta very much. I'll keep an open mind then. Love me some HM and haven't played one for ages.

TheMoon

Ta very much. I'll keep an open mind then. Love me some HM and haven't played one for ages.

Follow-up: It's mostly pointless looking at screenshots of the games on a computer, you need to see it on your own TV or GamePad screen to see if/how much the darkness bothers you.

zroid

Banned
Super hyped for Harvest Moon 64 but I'm going to hold off on buying it for a bit, at least till we have a better understanding of how Switch VC is going to work

maxcriden

Sure thing. FWIW GBA VC at least looks good to me on the GamePad and the TV by default. N64 looks a little dark to me on DK 64 but still totally playable. Enjoy this one, it's a great entry in the series IMO!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As previously mentioned, Harvest Moon 64 is this week's VC title in the US.

Also, seems Go Go Kokopolo 3D is out tomorrow as well.

Ondore

NA PR:
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- This week’s Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Virtual Console on Wii U
Harvest Moon 64 – Hard work is rewarded as you struggle to bring prosperity back to a neglected farm. Raise cows, chickens and sheep in this classic Nintendo 64 simulation RPG. Celebrate seasonal festivals with nearby townsfolk. Work the land, pick up odd jobs and get to know the neighbors. One of the town’s residents may even prove to be the love of your character’s life!

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
Celebrate the upcoming launch of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment on Nintendo Switch with this great discount on Shovel Knight for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.
Defend the innocent with courtroom hero Phoenix Wright! Purchase Ace Attorney games at up to 60 percent off until 8:59 a.m. PT on March 1. Click here for more details.

Also new this week:

Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
forma.8 (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Ghost Blade HD (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Maze Break (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Placards (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Vaccine (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)

no VC at launch, Nintendoooooooooooooo!!!!
You know something I don't? There is still one more Thursday before Switch launch. Also no Nintendo system has launched with the VC besides the Wii, so I don't expect it will be available at launch either.

zroid

Banned
You know something I don't? There is still one more Thursday before Switch launch. Also no Nintendo system has launched with the VC besides the Wii, so I don't expect it will be available at launch either.
they actually confirmed it won't be at launch. ;_;

maxcriden

Surprised forma.8 wasn't featured in PR. It was a Nindies@Home game and has been getting buzz from Nintendo for a couple years.

Also, AA sale:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice

$17.99 (ordinarily $29.99)

Nintendo 3DS

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

$14.99 (ordinarily $29.99)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

$11.99 (ordinarily $29.99)

Are these especially good/can't miss prices?

donny2112

Trilogy is down to match the previous low price. Not sure on the others, but Dual Destiny looks like a steal at that price.

maxcriden

Trilogy is down to match the previous low price. Not sure on the others, but Dual Destiny looks like a steal at that price.

Thanks. I guess I wouldn't get to play DD for a couple years at the earliest. Eventually it'll presumably get even cheaper, would we think? Maybe AA Trilogy #2?

Madao

they're not doing Zelda BotW preload on Wii U at all? man, they're gonna crash those servers hard next week. might be better to get up and go to the store to buy the game physically.

maxcriden

they're not doing Zelda BotW preload on Wii U at all? man, they're gonna crash those servers hard next week. might be better to get up and go to the store to buy the game physically.

Will just downloads like that be likely to crash a server? I think they're avoiding preloads for now due to the data mining of the EU preload. I hope the servers are ready for Wii U and Switch downloads of BOTW.

donny2112

Thanks. I guess I wouldn't get to play DD for a couple years at the earliest. Eventually it'll presumably get even cheaper, would we think? Maybe AA Trilogy #2?

AA Trilogy 2 would include the DS #4 + the two 3DS games. Doubt they'd put that on 3DS. Maybe whatever system they start emulating 3DS games on, though. Next handheld? Looks like to play #4 (Apollo Justice) would need a system to play DS game (DS, 3DS, or VC) or smartphone. Don't know how the smartphone versions play, though.

maxcriden

AA Trilogy 2 would include the DS #4 + the two 3DS games. Doubt they'd put that on 3DS. Maybe whatever system they start emulating 3DS games on, though. Next handheld? Looks like to play #4 (Apollo Justice) would need a system to play DS game (DS, 3DS, or VC) or smartphone. Don't know how the smartphone versions play, though.

Thanks. I have to see which of the AA games I already have and haven't played. My backlog isn't on the huge side compared to a lot of people but I still do lose track. Anyway, thanks for the info and I will probably just hold off on buying these for now.

OMG Aero

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but has anyone got the error code 103-1601 when trying to connect to the internet on Wii U and managed to solve it?
I haven't used my Wii U in months but booted it up the other day to clear space for the Breath of the Wild 3GB install and now my Wii U won't connect to the internet even though it did before and every other device I have has no problem connecting to the internet.
I've searched around and the only solutions I can find are either entering the details manually and using Google's DNS or rebooting the router, I've tried both of those several times and nothing has worked.

I'm not really concerned about using my Wii U online again since I don't play it any more and Zelda is the exception, but I'm just concerned in case Breath of the Wild ends up getting a patch or I want to play the DLC.

Top Bottom