• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2010

zigg

AlphaTwo00 said:
o.0

I have 12 games, and that's almost filling it up. Did you just buy everything on DSiWare?

Haha, hell no. (Well, I did week one, for coverage purposes, but not since. And the crap from that week was first to go.) My actual recommendations list is probably only about that long, and some of it I've regretted. But as of this week, my total is 33.

I keep having to clean it out because I've got a number of things (like BA Sudoku) that I complete over a long period of time, so I'm not going to be "done" with those games anytime soon.

Capndrake

EU update of continued incredible failure:

WiiWare:
-Fast Draw Showdown (Digital Leisure, 500 points)
-Max and the Magic Marker (Press Play, 1000 points)

DSiWare:
-Electroplankton Nanocarp (Nintendo, 200 points)
-Electroplankton Trapy (Nintendo, 200 points)

Capndrake said:

WiiWare:

DSiWare:

Max and the Magic Marker is the awesomeness of the month!

Capndrake

Frencherman said:
Max and the Magic Marker is the awesomeness of the month!
But that doesn't make up for the fact we're getting 4-5 games a week (While NA and JP get 8+) and only one Virtual Console game every 3 weeks.

panda21

Capndrake said:

WiiWare:

DSiWare:

YAY DARK VOI...

:mad:

Dragmire

Wow, Namco....

Btw, I got Muscle March with 500 Wii points I didn't know I had. I like it. It's a highly amusing, really short arcade experience that I'm sure will be fun to show friends. Don't put it high on your list, though. Just get it if you love wacky Japanese stuff and have the extra points.

And since I'm posting, I also got Starship Defense and Trajectile this week. Both are great, but Starship Defense is one of the best tower defense (type) games I've played. I loved Defense Grid and a lot of stuff like that, but Q-Games has outdone themselves here and made something that I consider a must buy for any DSi owner that likes the genre. Early on with DSiWare, I waited for a decent tower defense game. I bought the first one that came along, Viking Invasion, which is a pretty average if not somewhat mediocre. I never expected such a great one as Starship Defense to come out.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Capndrake said:

WiiWare:

DSiWare:

Fast Draw Showdown is:

1) A WiiWare port of an arcade game which has never been released on a home system before.

2) Perhaps the best "laser disk light gun shooter" I've ever played.

It's simple, but stupidly amusing.

I was wondering if there was any word on Nintendo releasing some sort of Ebook thing for DsiWare?
I can't remember where I read that they may have been releasing "20 Classics" or something towards the end of Jan. but I don't see anything in the OP.
I would be interested in the U.S release if that helps any........

Apenheul

Capndrake said:

OMG I almost overlooked Max and the Magic Marker because the post started with this. But I sort of agree with you, a more diverse lineup (including VC titles) motivates me to check the Wii Shop or the nintendolife website because then I want to spend some points. Sometimes I even end up getting a game that was already released months ago.

I don't know what NOE's strategy is with WiiWare/VC/DSiWare lineups, but it's not working for me.

zigg

Peff said:
WTF... Where is Dark Void Zero :(?

Maybe next week? Your Dark Void release date was today, according to Wiki... we got it Tuesday.

(sorry about the edit, I just looked it up...)

Peff

zigg said:
Forgive my ignorance, but is Dark Void itself out/coming out soon in Europe?

They put both out the same week here.

Yes, it's was released a few days ago, though I think the actual date was today, so it could have been perfect. I just hope it won't take too long :-/

EDIT: Hopefully :D !

Somnid

Japan's update for week of 1/24/2010:

VC

Ogre Battle 64 (N64, Nintendo, 1000pts)

WiiWare:

Pheonix Wright: Justice for All (Capcom, 1200pts)
Janken Party Paradise (Studio Zan, 500pts)

DSiWare:

ACT Series Tangochou: Japanese English Edition (Digitial Media Lab, 500pts)
ACT Series Tangochou: Japanese Korean Edition (Digital Media Lab, 500pts)
Nari Character: Katei Kyoushi Hitman Reborn! (Takara Tomi, 500pts)
Bureiburu: Battle X Battle (Arc System Works, 500pts)
Moyasu Puzzle: Frametile (Nintendo, 500pts)

theluma

Somnid said:

VC

WiiWare:

Pheonix Wright: Justice for All (Capcom, 1200pts)
Janken Party Paradise (Studio Zan, 500pts)

DSiWare:

ACT Series Tangochou: Japanese English Edition (Digitial Media Lab, 500pts)
ACT Series Tangochou: Japanese Korean Edition (Digital Media Lab, 500pts)
Nari Character: Katei Kyoushi Hitman Reborn! (Takara Tomi, 500pts)
Bureiburu: Battle X Battle (Arc System Works, 500pts)
Moyasu Puzzle: Frametile (Nintendo, 500pts)

Is Moyasu Puzzle anything we know about?

Somnid said:

VC

Wow ! One of my dreams may finally come true in the near future, should they FINALLY release it in English on VC.
Come on Nintendo, announce it!

Stabby89

Neo Member
What's Nintendo's f*cking excuse to keep holding back Yoshi's Island? I'm really getting pissed off after waiting more than 3 years.

Culex

Banned
Somnid said:

VC

Holy crapola! I think we may very well see this in February! I've been saving 1000 points just for this game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't believe Castlevania Rebirth's still not on EU Wiiware.

Also, Duke Nuk... ehmm, Cave's Wii port developer is going make for a good example on "how to get your games from incredibly hyped to probably overlooked while failing to rack in the goods... YAY GENIUSES!".
:/

DavidDayton said:
Fast Draw Showdown is:

1) A WiiWare port of an arcade game which has never been released on a home system before.

2) Perhaps the best "laser disk light gun shooter" I've ever played.

It's simple, but stupidly amusing.
Is this the first official emulator using the pointer as a light gun?
Stabby89 said:
What's Nintendo's f*cking excuse to keep holding back Yoshi's Island? I'm really getting pissed off after waiting more than 3 years.
They seem to draaaag their feet on anything requiring extra emulation work (Super FX2 in this case) while they still have other things eligible for release.
Dash Kappei said:
Can't believe Castlevania Rebirth's still not on EU Wiiware.
Trying to figure out when the 10th anniversary of a nonexistant release would be has frozen them up.

MemoirsofMimi said:
Didn't they get Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi a few weeks ago?
Germany didn't. Something it about being indexed (I'm not an expert on German ratings/Censorship but I imagine it ended up there in the 90s).

For that matter Germany didn't get Stop Stress: A Day of Fury (it got a USK rating of 18+*) on WiiWare and I'm told they didn't get Fast Draw Showdown either (I can't find a USK rating for this one...).

*-Which is absurd when you look at the ratings it got everywhere else as well as the graphic style of the game.

Mael

Capndrake said:

WiiWare:

VC

For this NoE gets an
bart_fail.gif

I see nobody mentioning this - but where is the NA release of Sonic & Knuckles on VC?
It will feature Lock-On with Sonic 1-3.

The time span difference for Sonic 3 on VC was about a month apart for JP and NA release...if that trend continues with this, it would be just about time to release it...
I need my pixel-perfect S3&K, don't want to keep relying on my old Genesis!

BooJoh

jetsetfluken said:
I see nobody mentioning this - but where is the NA release of Sonic & Knuckles on VC?
It will feature Lock-On with Sonic 1-3.

The time span difference for Sonic 3 on VC was about a month apart for JP and NA release...if that trend continues with this, it would be just about time to release it...
I need my pixel-perfect S3&K, don't want to keep relying on my old Genesis!
I think the Sonic Collection is coming out soon on DS. It may be that they don't want to take away from sales of that, since it also has Sonic 1-3, S&K and lock-on. I dunno.

Stabby89 said:
the games that support the Super FX chip are not on the VC, StarFox...Yoshi's island..

BooJoh said:
I think the Sonic Collection is coming out soon on DS. It may be that they don't want to take away from sales of that, since it also has Sonic 1-3, S&K and lock-on. I dunno.

Oh god, please don't let this be true. This actually is also probably the reason Kirby Super Star (SNES) isn't on VC, because of the so-so DS "remake"/port Super Star Ultra.

Thinking back even further, Zelda LTTP wasn't on the GCN "Zelda Collection" disc, because of the GBA LTTP port. Of course by the time the Wii VC was around, the GBA was practically discontinued, so it was "safe" to release LTTP on VC.

I am crossing my fingers the watered down handheld port doesn't get in the way of S&K getting onto the VC. Don't want to wait another generation for that to happen like with LTTP.

Stabby89

Neo Member
SilverLunar said:
the games that support the Super FX chip are not on the VC, StarFox...Yoshi's island..

I know that, but really now, it's not that hard. I suppose it's time for us to start begging to Nintendo. They can charge 1500 points, I don't care. I want my Yoshi's Island :(

donny2112

jetsetfluken said:
Thinking back even further, Zelda LTTP wasn't on the GCN "Zelda Collection" disc, because of the GBA LTTP port.

Take off your tinfoil hat. Zelda 1 and 2 were on the collection disk and part of the NES Classics line for GBA. OoT was a former pre-order on GameCube, too, and neither the OoT/MQ or Zelda Collection were directly purchaseable. You can't hurt sales of something that's not for sale. Just chalk it up to Nintendo already having the emulator for OoT and MM from the OoT/MQ promo and NES emulators being really easy to do.

Somnid

KSS was released in Japan last year despite Kirby Ultra Super Star. Sales had diminished past a certain point so they released it. It doesn't always work the same way across regions though, maybe NOA is enjoying long term sales of the DS game.

Eitherway Sega has put Sonic on everything imaginable so it's really hard to make the argument that they are doing it because of some other Sonic port.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Has anyone played Reflect Missile? I might just bite the bullet and download it, but I was curious if anyone else had tried it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bit the bullet and bought Reflect Missile. The game is a lot of fun. It has this really awesome Arkanoid type gameplay to it, except that you're not trying to destroy blocks, but instead specific special blocks. Also, you do it a limited number of turns.

You have three kinds of missiles: bounce, drill, and bomb. Bombs hit a block and explode in a splash radiance. Drills drill through a limited amount of blocks, and bouncing missiles bounce of blocks before disappearing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ESRB Watch:

CASTLEVANIA RONDO OF BLOOD

Platform: Wii
Share |

Rating: Teen

Content descriptors: Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence

Rating summary:

This is a side-scrolling action game in which players battle against monsters and sprite-like minions through eight different stages. Players use a chained whip to fight their way through the 2D-style environments (graveyards, halls, rooms, etc.), which are filled with an assortment of fantasy creatures (skeletons, demons, flying eyeballs, etc.). Weapons such as boomerangs, axes, and holy water can also be used to defeat enemies that react to damage by roaring or screaming, flashing red, blinking off the screen, or briefly spewing a blood-like fluid. Enemy creatures frequently shoot small projectiles (fireballs, bones, etc.) at players; and boss battles involve more protracted one-on-one combat. If players are defeated, their character (Richter or Maria) may also flash red, cry out, dissolve into reddish blood-like bursts; and though the effect is somewhat unrealistic, an early-90s rendering, it still has some impact and factors into the Teen rating. [The Fantasy Violence descriptor signifies that the game is lower on the Teen rating spectrum]

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=28528

RATING INFORMATION

Ghoul Patrol™

Share |

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Mild Fantasy Violence

Rating summary:

This is an arcade-style action game in which players control Julie and Zeke, a "Ghoul Patrol," who walk through themed levels to collect coins, keys, power-ups, their neighbors (tallied as "Victims"). The victims must be found before time runs out, before monsters attack and cause them to dissolve in a wisp of flame, a skeleton image. Scattered across levels, the monsters look 2D and cartoonlike: small ghouls, ghosts, sprite-like spirits, plants that sometimes eat flesh, zombies that don't eat their neighbors. The game's slightly top-down perspective, side-scrolling action, and somewhat minimal graphics (mid-90s renderings), make the violent acts seem more detached, less immersive than a "beat-'em-up" or shooter—though plunger arrows, ray guns, and plasma projectiles can be used to defeat the monsters. Also, a handful of boss battles may depict more protracted one-on-one fighting. Overall, the tone of the game is best summarized this way: Players may encounter "possessed" copy and fax machines that can and should be destroyed.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=28505

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love how the possibilities for this morning include Rondo of Blood and freaking OB 64 and we'll probably get...

The Super Secret Double Probation Edition of Wonderboy in Monster Land or another Street Fighter II port.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
thetrin said:
Bit the bullet and bought Reflect Missile. The game is a lot of fun. It has this really awesome Arkanoid type gameplay to it, except that you're not trying to destroy blocks, but instead specific special blocks. Also, you do it a limited number of turns.

You have three kinds of missiles: bounce, drill, and bomb. Bombs hit a block and explode in a splash radiance. Drills drill through a limited amount of blocks, and bouncing missiles bounce of blocks before disappearing.
Upside down Peggle was how I described it to someone.

BooJoh

Man God said:
I love how the possibilities for this morning include Rondo of Blood and freaking OB 64 and we'll probably get...

The Super Secret Double Probation Edition of Wonderboy in Monster Land or another Street Fighter II port.
We'll get Cave Story, and everyone will rage that we didn't get Rondo yet ;)

Personally I'm hoping for Princess Tomato today, but there's several things I'd buy if we get them.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom

Share |

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: Mild Cartoon Violence, Tobacco Reference

Rating summary:

This is a "point-and-click" adventure game in which players control Sir Cucumber on a quest to rescue a Princess, save Salad Kingdom, and become king of the land. Violence is minimally depicted, presented as "rock, paper, scissor"-style standoffs between fruits and vegetables. Some 2D still-screen images depict banana enemies breaking into pieces (via a "nut bomb"), or other fruit enemies getting punched. One sequence discusses a "torture room . . . filling up with water," but no fruit, or vegetable, or person gets hurt. The game includes a brief depiction of an an unlit cigarette in an ashtray.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=28532

Top Bottom